Weekend Open Forum: 2011's game failures, triumphs and beyond

By on May 20, 2011, 9:20 PM

As some of you may recall, we kicked the year off with a compendium of widely anticipated PC games expected to launch in 2011. For better or worse, many of those titles have come to fruition over the last five months with varying degrees of success. While long-presumed blockbusters like Crysis 2 and Dragon Age II failed to deliver, gamers have greeted lesser-known titles like The Witcher 2 and Section 8: Prejudice with open arms.

Zero Punctuation review of Dragon Age II (semi-NSFW)

Given that we're less than two weeks away from June, we thought it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on 2011's many unexpected turn of events. Have you been burned by a half-baked new release? Pleasantly surprised by an undervalued gem? Has your most anticipated game been delayed? Waiting for one of Steam's mega sales to see what all the fuss is about? No matter the case, let's hear your midyear gaming progress report.

Kibaruk Kibaruk, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hahahahaha that review of Dragon Age 2 is amazingly funny.

Mmmm a fail for me were Crysis 2 requirements, maybe not fail but... unimpresive. Crysis 1 left the bar truly high.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

zero punctuation was hilarious, that's exactly how I feel. I spent about 30 hours playing that game only to quit before the end. Waste of money. On another note. I do think there are few satisfactory games being released on schedule all together.

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

Oh, i forgot to add, since the picture of "crysis," is up there. Sooooooooooooooo many people on xbox think crysis 2 is the most ingenious fps invented. Okay enough. I just like to laugh.

Route44 Route44, TechSpot Ambassador, said:

Anybody know how DA II fared in sales? Bioware is just not the same. It must be due to their selling themselves to the evil empire knows as EA.

Here is a PC game that is suprisingly good: Larian Studios Dragon Knights Saga. They released Divine Divinity: Ego Draconis and then added additional material while improving DD:ED resulting in Dragon Knights Saga.

Seriously, it is a very good RPG.

Cueto_99 said:

Dragon Age II is a waste of time compared to Dragon Age Origins... DonĀ't wanna hurt feelings, but that's what happens when you make a game for consoles... anyways I hope F.3.A.R does not dissapoint me, and, of course, waiting impatiently for Battlefield 3! that's were I place my faith for 2011 excellent games!

Cota Cota said:

Epic review, i Finished DAO2 it was good, but it lacked a lot of thing like more items, combat AI, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, platypuses, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, dungeons variation, and dungeons variation. It seems like they focused a lot in the animations, the non linear quest and making a tons of NPC's whit the same sexy body, up from there it was OK, not good but OK.

Crysis 2 was another expected game, but it feels a little gray on the gameplay, the graphics were excellent but the gameplay missed something, maybe its because i got used to BFBC2? and every single movement i see in Crysis 2 seems way to much exagereted, on the multilayer part, well its a very fast flow but i still feel that the gray gameplays is holding me back :\

Portal 2, great (funny) history but my wallet its still hurting for those $59.999999999999 for 3 hours of gameplay, luckily for me my 11 yo brother seems to be immune to the mouthbreathing virus and game me a lot of hours more of multi-player gameplay has well as a lot of "exploits" the bastard found, but those $59.999999999999 for 3 hours of gameplay?

Up from there im just hanging on Team Fortress 2 while i wait for Skyrim, BF3, Alice: Madness Returns (hopefully this one haves enough blood *raises up knife*), Fear 3 and Stronghold 3, up from there all others are wait in line because you arent that cheap!

Jurassic4096 said:

Crysis 2 is fail. Not only does it still suffer from some of the bugs it had since day one, they want to charge PC gamers for DLC. Bad move Crytek.

Can't wait for BF3 and GR Future Soldier early next year.

Riun355 said:

I, for one, loved Portal 2. But that is kinda like the most obvious statement ever.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

supersmashbrada said:

How do 30 hours of game play equate waste of money?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

How do 30 hours of game play equate waste of money?

...ummm if they were not interesting and or entertaining hours.

I think Crysis 2 will go down as the years...possibly decades biggest failure. Cervat and Co. spent three years lying their asses of about this "epic". I bet the rest of the gaming/software industry are delighted they did. They now get to watch the sales and reaction to ferret out if they can get away with it (delivering a substandard product), and how far they can push it while still selling millions of copies. I think the alledged DX11 'patches completeness and function will be directly proportional to the amount of complaints they are receiving. Lots of complaints and lower sales = more polygons...acceptable sales and people gauged to get 'over it' = less polygons. Just my opinion.

What I don't get is why the PC'ers are getting all this ported Dx9 product, when sales of discreet graphic card sales have increased, even in a dreadful economy. Maybe someone more learned than I in the gaming/software area can explain this?

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That is a lot of effort super, for something which turns out to be 'not so entertaining'.

hitech0101 said:

I played DA2 way too many bugs.Also i don't understand one thing why EA keeps releasing nfs games haven't seen a decent racing genre game for a long time now.

Does AC3 count as triumph? I liked the game.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Still missing Test Drive hi?

Scshadow said:

Semi NSFW? Its funny but I don't see what it lacks that keeps it from being fully NSFW.

hitech0101 said:

Archean said:

Still missing Test Drive hi?

I never played a single title from TD series i used to read reviews & other player's opinions based on that i felt never felt to spend any money on it.TD unlim2 was kinda avoidable but hate to say they put some kind of effort to make the title different but nfs series remains the same old boring stuff with better graphics.

For my money SG2 is one of the year's dissappointments, though not the same epic fail as DA2 or Cry2.

Unbalanced MP veterans, super-accurate artillery and non-existant friendly fire have kinda ruined what is an otherwise exceptional game.

LoL and even with these problems it is, IMO, the best AAA title released so far this year, and I'm putting it up against the Witcher 2 for that accolade.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I think Crysis 2 will go down as the years...possibly decades biggest failure. They now get to watch the sales and reaction to ferret out if they can get away with it

Yup, gonna come down to future sales versus development/code writing/debug expense.

My guess is that there will be a "new" launch with some minor tweaks and some graphical add on in a few months, but nothing earth-shattering unless they bundle an expansion pack and remarket the whole deal (unlikely imo)

I did try to warn you G

r8bwp said:

Love the video! Sequels, another marmite moment! Love em or hate em. After being disappointed with not just a few new releases, I hang back befor I buy them now.

Portal2 was hands down the biggest disappointment for me this year $50 for 5.5hrs of singleplayer gameplay means I will never pre order a game from valve again.

The best hidden gem is Dawn of War2 The last stand which is now a standalone that game keeps me busy all the time.

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

red1776 said:

How do 30 hours of game play equate waste of money?

...ummm if they were not interesting and or entertaining hours.

But surely if the game wasn't enjoyable, that could be determined after an hour or two, five, ten. But thirty? That's a whole lot of hours put into that game. Maybe it was repetitive, maybe it got boring, but come on, either it had something going for it to keep playing for 30 hours or the poster is a complete game addict who plays indiscriminately, in which case it helped with his fix. Either way, looks like he got something for his money.

Tanstar said:

Wake me when The Old Republic Online comes out.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I did try to warn you G

errr....yeah but...I had to have it for the sake of customer builds....yes...that will do nicely...

princeton princeton said:

I also love all the Crysis 2 hating. Because when I commented on the demo release saying it was a bad game I was universally flamed. Stay classy techspot members.

klepto12 klepto12, TechSpot Paladin, said:

IMO homefront was a waste of money and time 3 and a half hours of play time and the multiplay is broken fail IMO.

ramonsterns said:

Tanstar said:

Wake me when The Old Republic Online comes out.

Why, you want to see how it sinks and takes Bioware down with it?

Omnislip said:

Have you had a better 5.5 hours of gameplay ever?

Besides, that's like saying cod4 was 3 hours of gameplay, since you haven't included any multiplayer.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

=princeton;1042574]2011 has been underwhelming to say the least. Hopefully DICE will set the bar high with BF3. But the fact that we already have confirmed paid DLC isn't reassuring.

I will assume you have seen this , but on the off chance you didn't, it looks good here. Hard to tell from pre-planned game play trailer, but it looks more wide open that 2011 offerings thus far.

[link]

Have you had a better 5.5 hours of gameplay ever?

Sure, DA2,LP2,DS2, not very good...but long

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ooooh...my favorite subject. Computer gaming. So far, I'm unfortunately quite disappointed in this year's offerings. At least of the big-name titles. Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 were frankly, disasters. Crappy console ports with all sorts of problems. Portal 2 - while being an excellent game - was just too damn short. $60 for 6 hours of play? When I've invested over 100 hours in games like Fallout 3 and 70 hours in each segment of the Mass Effect series? That's ridiculous.

Seems like the smaller developers are doing very well though. Section 8 and Sanctum have been very pleasant surprises.

So far, I give the year a C- in game releases. At least for the big-name games. Looking forward to Deus Ex and the next Oblivion release. However, I've learned my lesson - no more pre-orders at top price until I see some reviews.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

I am with you on that. If I didn't have customers who want machines built around these upcoming games, my pre-order days would be done.

treetops treetops said:

lol 2011 is not even half way over

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

ET3D said:

red1776 said:

How do 30 hours of game play equate waste of money?

...ummm if they were not interesting and or entertaining hours.

Its like buying a burger that you really wanted to like. PC games go anywhere from 40-60 usd these days. I continued to play the game because maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic OR I like to at least attempt to eat the whole burger I just paid for before I throw it out of the window.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Treetops wrote:

lol 2011 is not even half way over

I believe that is why Matthew included this:

From Matthew's article:

Given that we're less than two weeks away from June,

If you were referring to Tom's or my comments on not pre-ordering any longer, I think Cryteks blatant misrepresentation of the "game of the year" was sufficient enough for may people to be suspicious of spending $60 sight unseen weather it happened on new years day, or new years eve.

Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ah Yahtzee's the best .

But yeah, this year has definitely had some big name disappointments with Dragon Age 2 & Crysis 2. And I fear we'll likely have a few more before the year ends. A few games did manage to deliver though like Dead Space 2, The Witcher 2 and of course Portal 2 especially with its amazing writing, however the short campaign and easier puzzles were a bit of a letdown. Even some smaller developed games like Section 8: Prejudice at $15 bucks have been fun, even with some bugs.

TomSEA said:

+1 No more buying into the hype of games, I will be waiting from now.

Bulletstorm was by far the best game i played all year. I beat the game in 3 days which is fast for me. (I usually take a few weeks to beat any game.)

I haven't played DA2 and don't plan too. I played Crysis 2 and was disappointed.

^ +1

played crysis2. gameplay was ****.

princeton princeton said:

red1776 said:

[link]

Have you had a better 5.5 hours of gameplay ever?

Sure, DA2,LP2,DS2, not very good...but long

Oh I know. But I've been fucked over too many times by pre ordering. I'll be waiting to see if they announce any map pack BS before I buy it.

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Yep, I pre-ordered Crysis 2 and even bought Homefront too. I know a number of gamers who love to hate both games. One is an overhyped sequel which failed to live up to the lofty standards set by its predecessor while the other has an interesting premise but is let down by poor execution. Still, both titles are sufficient to scratch that FPS itch especially during the lean months. For what it's worth, the June 2011 issue of Maximum PC gave Crysis 2 a 9/10 Kick Ass Award. I know those guys seldom give out such awards unless the hardware or, in this case, software being reviewed is truly deserving. Also looking forward to what is shaping up as an annual showdown between the latest Battlefield and Call of Duty sequels. Maybe EA can throw in a Medal of Honor sequel so that we can have a 3-way FPS showdown for the holidays.

Problem with Portal 2 is the price, you don't get much more than Portal 1 (some may argue less) but Portal 1 came virtually free with the Orange Box while 2 has the full 50-60? retail price.

Crysis 2 was good enough, for a console port. The levels were exactly as tiny and linear I was expecting but the biggest problem I had was that they completely bypassed the cliffhanger from Crysis 1, also I thought freezing things were these Aliens signature move; not melting people with microbes -.-. Basically Crysis 1 was better in every single way and not even the cliffhanger there can be used to motivate buying 2

Jurassic4096 said:

Princeton said:

The demo was great.

This year has seen some real poop releases.

Poop Top Spot (in my book) goes to Homefront and Flashpoint Red River.

Poop Let Down award goes to Crysis 2.

:-))

I baught Dragon Age 2 for XBOX 360 with $20 gift card for pre-order rather than PC cause I was kinda skeptical on it. Turns out I made the right choice, I beat the game once, and never want to touch it again, got $35 credit for trading it in a couple weeks later. It felt like an incomplete and rushed product, uninspiring storyline and the reused dungeons were the final nail on the coffin.

Crysis 2 was a let down as well, turns out my brother baught for PC so he let me borrow it for a while. After playing it for a few hours, I just couldn't bring myself to play it anymore and gave it back to him.

One thing I realized is that both companies that make DA2(bioware) and Crysis2(Crytek) are both owned by EA... wonder if EA execs rushed them to push their games out the door just to get $$, which has now backfired, as in they have lost my trust. I'm really worried for DA3 and ME3 now, no more EA game pre-order from me until I see some reviews.

On another note my friend talked me into buying Section 8 Prejudice, and I'ved had more fun with that in the first 10 mins than I ever did with Crysis 2, seems pretty nice for a $15 game.

Also got The Witcher 2 and I am amazed as to how a smaller company like CDprojeckt Red can make a AAA title. The game is so well polished and it shows, your choices have impact on how the story unfolds, graphics like I never seen on a PC game still uses DX9 to boot, to top off the icing on the cake, got the digital version collector's version on GOG for $45 with no DRM, 1 fre game, and ALL DLC is free? what more can a PC gamer ask for. I'm not saying its a perfect game, it does have some minor bugs, but they barely detract from such a well polished game, to me it has set the bar High for what a PC RPG should be.

Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

Crysis 2 wasn't so bad; it runs better and, IMHO, looks better than the original, while also having a semblance of a pretty good sci-fi story. I loved the music and the addition of proper stealth-based approaches. IMHO, it was linear, but much tightly woven than Crysis, which was basically a glorified tech demo.

DA2 was really bad though. Thanks to Matthew, I saved my $$ and didn't get it. A playthrough of it on my friend's X360 didn't go too well. Sorry BioWare, you gotta do better than this rush job.

Homefront was another disappointment, but this one I wasted cash on. Can't really do much about it though. =C

Brink looks like another FAIL game; has anyone played it enough to know better?

On the flipside, I'm just waiting for a Steam\digital download sale to get my hands on the entire Warhammer 40,000 collection! I love the series, and after devouring the books and comics, I think it's about time I make some space for the games too! Retribution looks particularly awesome.

Ditto for Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. But I think I'm gonna save up a lil' bit to get The Witcher 2 soon.