Minecraft delayed, also coming to Xbox 360

By on June 12, 2011, 4:09 PM

The immensely popular PC sandbox game Minecraft was supposed to leave beta status on November 11, 2011 but that date has been pushed back. Mojang Studios is changing the release date because the game's creator, Markus Persson, also known as Notch, wants to find a good venue for MinecraftCon and the date 11/11/11 is fully booked.

The release date was supposed to coincide with several other games and movies, and Notch gave it the unofficial tagline "us too." Now he's being forced to change the date, speculating that it could be a week later. More details will follow as soon as a venue has been booked. When it finally ships, Minecraft will be available for €20.00 ($28.87); right now it's still in beta and goes for €14.95 ($21.58).

Notch also confirmed that Minecraft is coming to the Xbox 360 this winter. The new version of the game, which doesn't have a name yet, will be designed specifically for console play. It will feature (but not require) Kinect support, and will be an exclusive Xbox 360 title.

The Xbox 360 version will join Minecraft - Pocket Edition, an Android port. The game will be arriving on the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play first, before it shows up for other Android devices. The Xperia Play was likely chosen because it has dedicated gaming buttons. The price of the app is still unknown, nor do we have a release date or specific exclusivity period for the Xperia Play, but we do know there is already working code, courtesy of the video released last month.

"On both these platforms, I’m going to be more secretive about giving out details," Persson said in a statement. "This is because there are actual PR budgets on them, and I don’t want to mess up any big plans. I will be the game designer on both new Minecraft titles, but I won’t be involved in the programming as I'm focused on the PC version of Minecraft."

Mojang Studios is currently working on Minecraft Beta 1.7, which Notch refers to as the "adventure update." Details are being kept secret so users can enjoy a few surprises, though it is known that exploration and combat will become more rewarding. Modding support is also coming on a small scale with version 1.7. The source code will be given out to a very small group of people before the release of version 1.7, followed by the modding API.

Minecraft was originally released (now referred to as the classic version) on May 17, 2009. It entered Indev status on December 23, 2009, Infdev status on February 27, 2010, alpha status on June 28, 2010, and finally beta status on December 20, 2010.

Oh, please. Xbox Live already has Fortresscraft, which is an exact replica of Minecraft. What about PSN? We need an indie game.

This game is a bigger waste of time than World of Warcraft.

DokkRokken said:

Aren't all games a waste of time?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

M$ paid for the exclusive rights, that's the only reason one would go exclusive and it a shame PSN owners lose out, however, I also can't imagine a 360 processor trying to run minecraft that even my i7 stutters with some rare times let alone a ATI Xenos... no fancy graphics for you!

Because playstation is horrible and I'd imagine they don't feel like wasting their time with it.

xclusiveitalian - the xbox 360 will handle it better than an i7. It has 3 cores with 3.2ghz each! Learn about the xbox then post! :P

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh, I'm sure plenty of people have learned what running an Xbox CPU at 100% for an extended period of time will do.

Besides you can easily OC the i7 to 3.2 with a stock cooler.

Lol Fortress Craft is a joke. It's nothing like Minecraft, just a failed rip off.

You can also easily overclock your xbox360 to a nuclear fusion reactor.

I will never understant why minecraft is fun, not matter what people say.

"Aren't all games a waste of time?"

Are you kidding me? Seriously? Go play Portal 2 right now. Go. I'll wait. Then we'll see if you still hold that opinion.

mine craft is a game for a computer

it would be like makin mario on the ps3, it wouldnt be the same

Notch is just taking Microsoft's cash to work on the PC version, which well remain the crown jewel of the series.

High cpu power isn't going to do much good in Minecraft. You need a good video card.

It will be interesting if & how it handles texture packs...especially high res ones.

can someone explain to me what exactly is so great about this game? it just seems like a very basic game with nintendo64-like graphics from what I've seen so far, Im not bashing it or anything I just cant see what all the hype is about, a little insight would be great, the fact that you need a good gpu as someone stated earlier is also baffling to me considering the graphics seen inscreenshots

so true xbox could hadle it

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Trust me I know everything that is inside the Xbox, and PS3 they both can't handle the game that my computer destroys 10 times over. Your xbox has a GPU equivalent to a nvidia 7900 lmaooo which is why Notch is really going to have to downsize the game that is already really basic looking.

Don't let the graphics fool you it's actually a very fun game that is all gameplay.

veLa veLa said:

I just don't get why this ugly and trashy game needs such a powerful machine to run right

If you have ever played with Lego Blocks, you will understand the appeal. MC provides an endless world for exploration and interaction. You can build anything you want. The mod groups are producing some very interesting mods that can make anyones head spin. Its a game that if you look just at the cover you will be put off, but if you dive in and try it you wont be able to stop.

Multiplayer works, you can work with a group of people to build very complex cities.

Its hard to explain really, if you could try it, do it. Its an experiance that should be in many MMOs IMO.

Hope this helps.

Minecraft is really awesome ! the game is seriously as smart and creative as you can be! so if for you this game sucks then you probably suck too lol

matrix86 matrix86 said:

I will never understant why minecraft is fun, not matter what people say.

I said the same thing...until I played it. But then again, I was a bit of a lego addict as a kid, so it kind of makes sense, lol.

Omnislip said:

Anything with 'Xbox' in it seems to attract every last fanboy from the site.

I cried tears of joy when i heard this. Here is are my thoughts about Minecraft for Xbox,

PLUS

Playing Minecraft is wonderful on any system (have the ipod version and it good not perfect but fun)

Minecraft over live (10 - 60 people crafting)

New untapped players (yes there are people who dont know about this)

Minus

Admin Controls (flying, mass leveling terrain, spawning items and monsters)

FPS limits (i think it is 60)

Questions

8 bit or 16 bit (friend has the up graphic pack and it looks amazing)

If you can play with other how many person, how to control who joins, how to kick and ban.

Will Saves be on a servor or your local xbox

Will we pay for map packs (like zombies, such)

Can we upload our pc maps to xbox?

Can Minecraft play between Xbox, PSN, and PC? (i know Fanboys out there might hate this idea but it would be such a big thing for gamers all to be able to play with each other on any platform)

Xbox will adjust to make it work! (My computer is really nice but still has issues, how ever my P4 can still run it) I just hope there is a devp toolbox and sharable maps, if its not there, we will lose some of our love for the game but I'm glad Minecraft is going a bit more mainstream.

Last thought my guess is Minecraft will be game of the year when placed on xbox and will outsale all games this year if sold between $10-$20.

Thames

.....No it's not, just....no

I have a core2duo dell 2.0 with a nvidia 7900GS (a laptop: Dell Inspiron e1705)and it runs the game fine, with all the bells and whistles or the lower end settings. haven't tried any add-ons or texture packs, just basic game runs fine. when world loads it tends to be a tad slow, but once loaded it runs amazingly well until i move to a new area it has to render.

the xbox should be alble to handle it. the only thing my laptop has that the xbox may lack is 4 gigs of ram (systems only utilizes 3.25 gigs), so that may cause some issues.and my video card has even had issues causing me to have to bake it in the oven to get it working again (about 4 bakes now, lol)

Hit up some Acid and play the game.. maybe then MAYBE.... you will have some insight.

I would love to play minecraft on the xbox360 or the ps3 and im sure there is a way for both of them to handle the game it will just take a while but it would be worth it. I also agree that it is a computer game but it would also be fun to play it on these consoles and if you don't like it just simply play it on the pc but i know there are a lot of ppl who would like it for the consoles and you can get used to playing it on whatever console or pc and for those of you ppl who say video games are a waste of time then why the hell are you commenting on stuff that is about video games just stop wasting your time commenting on it.

Why does Xbox get an exclusive version of minecraft and not PSN? This is ridiculous. Thankfully I have a PC version and will get the android one.

fortress craft isnt all that great. you search for buried relics that give you a jetpack super jump or super speed and others. i "beat" the game by finding all the relics in two days. and you dont even mine for things. you have an unlimited ammount of anything in your invintory. the game also resets your relics every now and then so its a waste or time. xbox also has total miner: forge but its also just as bad. to make anything you have to find a blueprint. the blueprints are all over. above ground and 4000 blocks below ground. its a hastle and gets old quickly. i hope minecraft has the same approach it did on the computer and with multiplayer online play.

Well first of fortress craft is nothing like the real minecraft you cant use the pick and the gaming on it is way to weird and slow and all you do is spawn stuff and delete nothing like minecraft

I would love to play this game but dont own a PC only a dell inspiron 1545 laptop. Is it still worth purchasing.

just face it xbox 360 is better than ps3 so stop whining is to hard to switch it to ps3 so xbo 360 better all around

To anyone who doubts minecraft,

The reason we all like minecraft is because we can express our creativity into a map, a town, a city, even a world... still unsure go to youtube type minecraft click the picture that has a 1 then go 1 to i think 25 these people are super funny Simon / Lewis they tell jokes, in minecraft they dig giant holes, in minecraft and go on quest throughout the world of minecraft, of minecraft

because ps3 has a sucky service and fortress craft isnt anywhere close to a replica

EPICNESS. I have tried to play Mine-craft on my PC but it always froze up, NOW I CAN FINALLY PLAY IT! AND I KNOW ITS AWESOME! AND ADDICTIVE!

i would really enjoy minecraft fpr the xbox why?

my pc is too much of a piece of -blam!- to play it with out being on the lowest settings! it will run much smoother for me...

i want to know mainly if i can move my maps from the pc to the xbox

Fortress craft isnt an exact copy its the worst game ever made, maybe some will disagree, but the game sucks. We need something like minecraft but i dont think want minecraft coming to PSN because of the hackers

FortressCraft's a turdburglar compared to minecraft. It's more like minecraft classic, no mobs, tools, or anything.

ha, no its not

fortrescraft? more like silly block game with no point, its nothing like minecraft.

True sir,true

Chronus Chronus said:

Considering Notch just got married recently. Like a week or so ago, I can see why it would be delayed.

Minecraft is going through a huge update, from a Sandbox game, to a hopefully interactive Game.

A lot of new content is being put into it, about as much if not more than you would expect to see from an expansion in other games. Those games take months of creating, debugging and the like.

~~~~~~

As for those who wonder what the appeal to the game is: It is a lot like Lego's, if you want to build something, you can build it. If you want to level a mountain, you can. You can play the game however you want to play it. And if you get bored, you find a Mod, download it, and play it.

In the end, the questions are, are you goal oriented? Do you like to build things, fight things, explore? Are you creative, Will you make yourself a castle; an underwater laboratory; a city; a world?

Some of the things I've seen people build:

Battleship

Mines of Moria

Roman Coliseum

USS Enterprise

Pantheon

And a lot more.

Best part for me, being able to play with friends and work on projects together.

~~~~~~

As for the problem with the game lagging it is a mix of all the information being kept track of, AND the graphics.

The graphics card has to have the information so it knows what to display when. So it's more of how much RAM the video card has, more than how powerful it is. (Not a lot of calculations going on, as its all blocks, not a ton of polygons which is what powerful graphics cards are meant for.)

Chunks are 16 blocks wide, 16 blocks long, and 128 blocks deep, which is 32,768 blocks total. When wandering the world the nearest 81 chunks are loaded, arranged in a 9 by 9 grid around the player.

These chunks may have activity (mobs spawning, trees growing, water flowing, dropped items disappearing etc.), while the other world chunks are inactive, stored on your hard drive.

If a player goes to an area that is beyond the already generated chunks, new chunks are generated and stored to the drive.

FortressCraft, and CastleMiner are both excellent indie games however MineCraft would be nice to have- especially multiplayer. I don't care if the price ranges from 1500 mps or 2000mps, I'd still buy it just because of the water effects, blocks effects and monster effects. Working together in multiplayer mode to keep out monsters would be interesting.

i think its great that minecraft is coming to xbox, there are other versions eg. fortress craft but i dont think those are as good by a long shot... i hope its coming out on disk instead of download as i dont have xbox live but desperatly whant minecraft!!!

fortress craft is nothing like minecraft its just a rip off with no point... its terrible next to minecraft!!!

Guess you got the wrong console eh? Haha jk I like giving people a hard time.

FortressCraft is the saddest excuse for a minecraft clone out there bud.

I hope it will be survival, creative isnt just as fun for me.

Fortresscraft is horrible, total miner is probably the closest thing to minecraft we have so far

man, playing this with kinect sounds really really fun...