Insider: Verizon to introduce tiered data plans on July 7

By on June 20, 2011, 6:01 PM

Having been rumored since last year and partially confirmed by Reuters last month, Verizon's tiered data plan is just over the hill according to an internal memo. Select Verizon employees today received a letter announcing the upcoming "evolution" of the carrier's pricing model. Unfortunately, that particular document doesn't contain all the juicy pricing details you're looking for, but Droid Life claims to have an exclusive inside scoop.

If accurate, you can expect the changes to launch on Tuesday, July 7, which happens to fall one day after the company's 4G hotspot promotion ends. Droid Life claims that data plans will come in three separate tiers: 2GB for $30 per month, 5GB for $50 and 10GB for $80. Adding tethering to an account will cost an additional $20 a month and you'll get another 2GB of data. For instance, the bottom tier with tethering would be 4GB for $50.

Tablets will have a separate plan that provides 2GB of transfer for $30 a month, a change from $20 for 1GB. All overages, be they from a smartphone or tablet, will cost $10 per gigabyte. It's worth noting that there doesn't seem to be any separation between 3G and 4G devices, so you shouldn't have to worry about paying extra to tap into Verizon's LTE network. Also, the change only applies to new customers -- at least initially, anyway.

Although you'll be able to complete your existing contract unfazed, we imagine Verizon will lock you into the tiered structure when renewal time comes. That's not confirmed yet (again, nor is the pricing), but AT&T routinely funnels contract renewals into their metered data scheme. The carrier updated its data plans last June, offering 200MB for $15 per month, 2GB for $25, 4GB with tethering for $45, and $10 per gigabyte overages.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL your KIDDING RIGHT?

im sooooooo glad i emailed them a week ago, and the person CONFRIMED if i get an iPhone 4, my unlimited data plan WILL carry over, not sure if it will carry over AFTER this #$!? goes into action

Look for more of this garbage to continue, with no real competition in the nationwide wireless industry. Once at&t gobbles up t-mobile, look for Verizon (even though they say they won't) to gobble up Sprint. Then it will be big red, against big orange. Just like the "competition" we have in broadband in the USA. You have DSL or cable, take your pick, they both suck.

IAMTHESTIG said:

So it's worse now... Nice going you greedy ******.

Prices should be something like:

$10/mo for 500 MB, no WiFi tethering

$20/mo for 5 GB, 500 MB WiFi Tethering

$30/mo for 20 GB phone, 5 GB WiFi Tethering

$50/mo for UNLIMITED & UNLIMITED WiFi TETHERING

I've already sent a nastygram to Verizon about my disgust with data plans... if this continues i'm leaving. The only thing VZ has to offer is a good network, which if this TMobile AT&T deal goes through VZ will have some stiff competition.

aj_the_kidd said:

Additional cost for tethering, ouch. Correct me if I'm wrong but you guys have unlimited downloads with your phone plans don't you?

i'm so going back to two plastic cups tied by a string, the voice quality was better

howzz1854 said:

they should renew their ancient draconian voice plan already. who talks 600 mins a month + 4000 weekend minutes. give me a lower tier voice plan choice and i'll be more willing to pay more for data. right now i only use less than a 100 min a month on voice, and always hitting the limit on data. it's FUBAR everytime i think of how much wastefulness goes into wireless charges. oh yeah, lets not forget the extra random fees they impose on you every now and then. you don't even get to say no. BAM!... right there on your bill. and they're complaining about rising cost, what rising cost!? you passed it directly onto your customers you bastard!. we need more competition and better wireless business model. no fees, more choices and more phones.

welp, im now sticking with my dumbphone

PaulWuzHere PaulWuzHere said:

My LG Optimus on Virgin Mobile is $60 unlimited everything...

I think I'll stick with that, sprint's coverage is not bad. At least where I live and use my phone.

NeoFryBoy said:

Who knew the Information Age would cost everyone an arm and a leg?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Now both AT&T and Verizon can go s**k one! Having a cool phone is nice but not necessary especially for these prices. As long as it can make calls be happy, these greedy companies are trying to take money we don't have. No one is getting any raises, and here in NYC everyone including the city itself is flat broke. Can Anon do me a favor and destroy them? Thanks in advance=)

That is what ticks me off....I agree with IAMTHESTIG. That is more realistic pricing. I can't wait till some company comes out with real prices and blows these greedy companies out of the water. I use to like Verizon but they are becoming just like the rest. Seriously...why don't they offer cheaper plans for people who use it less. Those excuses they are doing it for their network is udder BS. They are doing it for their vacation homes and sport cars. Verizon you suck!

They need to come out with a Facebook app only data-plan..Seriously..I'm using very little data and the only app I use is Facebook...But yet I will still be paying $30 a month. Thanks Verizon!

So, this is how the so-called "free market" is intended to promote competition and innovation. This is merely yet another example of corporate greed and stupidity. *sigh*

IAMTHESTIG said:

That's right.... wireless carriers compete to see who can charge the most for the least amount of service. They come up with new and interesting ways to screw their customers.

treetops treetops said:

You can tether for free with a app called easy tether.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Well, can't say I like this trend, but I also can't say I'm surprised, or even outraged. Data usage is skyrocketing compared to voice, taxing the massive infrastructure that companies like Verizon have sunk massive amounts of capitol into developing. Yet the average consumer doesn't consider just how much it took to even HAVE the opportunity to experience 3G coverage everywhere. Plus, they need more and more money to keep forging that 4G juggernaut so that it blankets the entire network. Not a cheap task, I might point out.

I can't blame Verizon for the move - it's mostly basic supply and demand tactics, really. And they ARE a business, out to make money, just like everyone else. Still, it seems they could revise their tactics a bit. Something like STIG's price menu would be more than reasonable, and still make them oodles of cash - maybe even more so, because they could attract potential low data usage customers who balk at the current plan rates. And, while we're at it, they could stop throwing up commercial after commercial pushing their smartphones and tablets and touting how you can watch streaming media and all of the other massively data-centric applications... Ah, but then again, how good does a fisherman do without a worm on his hook, eh?