AMD's Bulldozer-based FX-8130P benchmarked early

By on July 11, 2011, 9:00 AM

Last month at the E3 conference in Los Angeles AMD officially reintroduced the FX brand for their top performing processors aimed at PC enthusiasts and gaming aficionados. Although no actual products were launched, we already have a pretty good idea of the initial lineup, and now Turkish website DonanimHaber is offering a glimpse at the performance we can look forward to.

The site managed to get their hands on an engineering sample of AMD's forthcoming FX-8130P and ran it through a range of tests. The 8-core chip features 3.2GHz clock speeds, 2MB of L2 cache per each pair of cores (8MB in total), and 8MB L3 cache shared between all modules. The motherboard used was a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5, which was paired with a GeForce GTX 580.

Bulldozer scores P6265 in the 3D Mark 11 benchmark, 3045 in PCMark 7, 24434 in Cinebench R10 and manages 136 and 45 frames per second in x264 encoding tests for Pass 1 and Pass 2, respectively. In addition, it took 19.5 seconds to complete SuperPi 1M. Unfortunately there are no Core i7 2600K scores to compare with -- and the benchmark programs used differ from our usual range of tests -- but VR-Zone claims typical scores for Intel's top Sandy Bridge part are lower in all tests except SuperPi 1M, where it is significantly faster.

Compared to the Thuban-based Phenom II X6 1100T, Bulldozer should end up about 50% faster, while overall it slots right in between the Sandy Bridge Core i7 2600K and Gulftown-based Core i7 990X in terms of performance.

Of course scores will vary from platform to platform so we'll reserve judgment until we can put Bulldozer to the test ourselves. If these early comparisons hold up, though, AMD could finally have an answer to Intel on the high-end. The rumored $320 price tag suggests that will be the case considering Intel's Core i7 2600K costs roughly the same.

Cueto_99 said:

Nice! Good to see AMD finally delivering some high end performance!

Muggs said:

Anything that creates competition in the market is a good thing.

Can someone correct me if I wrong but don't all those tests weigh number of cores heavily? So an 8core should do amazingly well in a test but real world not seeing that much of an improvement unless your app takes advantage.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

...but will it run Notepad

It will run many notepad's!

are u insane no current computer can run notepad maxed out cuse they developed it for future hardware.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

I'm looking forward to these ! I'm going to purchase one just to run multiple notepads at once ! :3

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

...but will it run Notepad

It's a an 8 core CPU with 4.2 Turbo core and a new architecture! of course it will run.....Oh you minx!:p

I upgraded to a GA-990-FXA-UD7 with a x6 1100T as a placeholder....make with the FX already!

if this thing can run notepad then im sold

techfiend4 said:

i cant wait for this!!!

notepad in DX9 or with the DX11 patch?

will my notepad be in 480i? or will i get 320p? this is all i care about

will it be able to run notepad and paint AT THE SAME TIME???????

Mizzou Mizzou said:

I've got the same motherboard in my newegg wish list along with a Corsair H80 and 8GB of Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 2000. If this is typlical of the results we'll see with Bulldozer I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger.

albertjkruger said:

It will run many notepad's!

You sir are a genius, well except for the misplaced apostrophe... ;D

Elitassj4 said:

Yea.....BUT : Will It Blend?

TekGun TekGun said:

Why does it struggle so much with superPi? my C2Q9450 @3.2 does 1M in 15.1 seconds!

Can't get here soon enough

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Simple answer:

SuperPi uses an outmoded instruction set called x87. AMD decided against improving x87 core performance some years ago.

Can't wait to upgrade my Athlon 64 X2 ;)

I upgraded my 64x2 5200 to the i5 2500k! I'm impressed and have always been anti Intel since my nexgen cpu 486 build but not no more.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

ohhhh, I see. Your one of those guys that has commitment issues! hehehe

BTW, I really am liking the UD7. I picked up a Asus Crosshair Formula V as well which is also top notch. I ended up building with the UD7 for the quad CF capabilities. It also is a extremely good Oc'er.

Well Real World wise, I push my computer to the limits, using all the CPU power my CPU can muster. AMD, it's hard to, even with my quad-core 9600. Real people use the cores, it's the Windows and its Programs that doesn't use the cores to their extent. Linux sure does though =D

ihaveaname said:

Irrelevant question: I've always wondered: how come the terms 'oct-core' and 'hex-core' never caught on, but got called six-cores and eight-cores instead? Why don't we call a quad core a 'four-core'?

It will run notepad but you have to upgrade you video card to at least 1gb ddr5 :) lol

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

They have. Except that they are call octocore and hexacore -sometimes with, sometimes without hyphen. The relative lack of six and eight core CPU's is the only reason the terms aren't bandied around as much as quad core, dual core etc.

Notepad is a pretty big power hog. I am guessing Bulldozer might run one (but only one) instance of it, if you were to cool the chip with liquid helium, and OC it to 7GHz. That might let you run notepad.

Yes this is all good news and all, but will it bottleneck my Intel GMA 950???

Seraphim401 Seraphim401 said:

I hope BD kicks ass, so can finally get one of those six core Intel chips.

GaMEChld said:

ihaveaname said:

I actually discussed this with someone on an old article months back. I have a theory. Calling the CPU's Quad core is done by utilizing the latin prefix for 4 (quad). However, the latin prefix for 6 is not hexa, it is sexa (e.g. a sexacore processor, or sexagon). The GREEK prefix is hexa. Sexa would probably make too many people giggle, and changing language convention doesn't make much sense, so maybe they decided to make things simpler by just using numbers. The more valid point is that this change also prepares us for the future chips, so we don't have to fumble for prefixes when we have 12-core (dodeca) core processors and more. Interlagos (Bulldozer based server chip) has 16-cores. If we kept using prefixes, things would just get really confusing.

That's my take on it anyway :)

captainawesome captainawesome said:

does anyone know if the FX line comes with a Radeon slapped onto the die?

Mizzou Mizzou said:

ohhhh, I see. Your one of those guys that has commitment issues! hehehe

I prefer to think of it as prudent procrastination :p Actually, have toyed with the idea of dropping a Phenom II X6 1100T in the AMD rig for a while now, but was waitng to see if Bulldozer was going to work out.

Since I already have a high end X58 Intel rig using an ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution have been wanting to see if I could build something comparable from AMD. This looks like it might be the opportunity.

That's definitely a nice pair of boards you have there, should be interesting to see which is the better overclocker ... suspect it will be pretty close.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

does anyone know if the FX line comes with a Radeon slapped onto the die?

For Bulldozer architecture with on-die graphics you'll have to wait around for Trinity

i just posted a comment months before on AMD forums

I posted "Bulldozer must come together with the HD700 series"

if they followed my post its a bang!

although i am disappointed of the results....IT CAN"T BEAT INTEL's 990X

I was reading Sun's SPARC info's.. SPARC uses four way hyperthreading. and one important thing that makes a hyperthreaded CPU better, is the utilization of the core. that is why superpi loves hyperthreading

GaMEChld said:

that is why superpi loves hyperthreading

Most enthusiasts readily admit that superpi is uselessly outdated; relying on x87 instructions that AMD doesn't even bother updating, making it a known biased benchmark tool. I think the favorites are now things like Cinebench and Linpack etc.

I don't know why you people thing that running ONE instant of notepad is an easy task for this Bulldozer 8-Core CPU!!!

I hope this CPU can understand the command for running notepad :p

AMD Octopussy :)

fpsgamerJR62 said:

I hope these 8-core Bulldozers overclock as well as the previous AMD Black Edition processors.

MilwaukeeMike said:

GaMEChld said:

ihaveaname said:

That's my take on it anyway

Yes, it would get confusing, and people aren't as familiar with 'hex' as they are with 'quad'. I doubt it has to do with greek or latin. Look at chemistry, Octane is 8 (carbon atoms per molecule) hexane is 6, but 4 is Butane and two is Ethane. After quadrillion is quint, not 'pent' and 6 is sextillion (as you mentioned), so we use both.

Hexcore sounds cool, and flows well, i think we don' thave it because people aren't as familiar with using 'hex'. Octcore is kinda hard to pronounce, even though we know 'Oct'. Why October is the 10th month, I have no idea.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Same here, would be more than happy with a stable 24/7 4GHz overclock at fairly reasonable voltage and temperature. I'd be upgrading from a 965BE and that should be enough to make a real difference.

GaMEChld said:

milwaukeemike said:

Not sure about the chemistry applications, but a few of those examples are great examples of Latin vs Greek prefixes. Like Quint vs Pent. Both are real prefixes for 5, just from different origins.

For anyone curious about what is what:

[link]

Oh just a fun fact, October was originally the 8th month of the Roman Calendar, before Julius and Augustus Caesar invented and inserted the months July and August in honor of themselves.

,,,,but can it run "notepad 2.0"??????

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Benchmarked early....

...and supposedly up for sale (pre order I presume) for the low-low price of 1888 Yuan ($US 292) - it's an "iron" Bulldozer -which sounds more robust than the silicon variety.

Meanwhile someone in Singapore is selling (apparently available! woo hoo) the FX-8110 for the not-so-low-low price of $Singapore 500 ($US 409)

Mizzou Mizzou said:

Hopefully this is an indication that Bulldozer will be available sooner rather than later ... time will tell.

What the hell is with this guy and Notepad??? What's so f***king great about running notepad?!!!

Mizzou Mizzou said:

I assume an anti AMD fanboy making a very weak attempt at humor.

What about Notepad++? :S

Can it run Notepad++?

Maybe when overclocked to 4.5+ GHz, but it can run the ordinary notepad at stock speeds.

it used to be the eighth month, more were added

I7 2600K Witout overclock

I will stick to my Sandy Bridge cpu and then upgrade to Sandy Bridge E when they are released as I don't see the point in downgrading to a AMD cpu at the moment.

Good to see AMD finally trying to compete but it is going to be a long way of before they really compete considering they still can't match the performance of the current, Intel system's with there very latest cpu and Intel are getting ready to release there next lot of cpu's.

Guess AMD dropped the ball again which is sad to see.