Zune HD isn't dead after all: Microsoft rolls out new apps

By on August 3, 2011, 4:30 PM

Microsoft has released nine new Zune HD apps: Finger Paint, Calendar, Trash Throw, Slider Puzzle, ColorSpill, Splatter Bug, Vine Climb, Decoder Ring, and Tug-O-War. Microsoft also updated the following Zune HD apps: Shuffle by Album, Zune Reader, Penalty! Flick Soccer, Email, and Echoes.

There has been talk for quite a while now that Microsoft is getting ready to kill off the Zune. The company has been viciously denying speculation that it will clear out inventory of the stock it has, and stop producing more units of the various Zune models. There still hasn't been any news about a retail store running out of stock yet, but the rumor suggesting that Microsoft will kill off the Zune hardware and focus instead on just the software, is one that just won't die.

This is the first piece of news that would suggest Microsoft is not denying the rumor just for the sake of doing so. The other recent good news in the Zune world has been a tidbit regarding a possible upcoming Zune Music expansion. Everything else we've heard so far indicated the Zune hardware could indeed go away.

Last month, Microsoft killed its Zune Originals storefront, which has been available since November 2007. Two months ago, we learned that Microsoft would be porting at least some of its Zune HD apps to Windows Phone. Three months ago, the software giant slashed the prices for two (out of three) Zune HD models: the 16GB to $170 (from $200) and the 32GB to $200 (from $270).

Even if Redmond does end up killing off the Zune HD, it's clear that it wants to keep supporting its existing customers. That's certainly something we can't complain about.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I prefer my Zune HD 16gb over my iPod Touch 4g 32g for listening to music (Zune pass just rocks and I think the Zune puts out better sound quality), but it is useless for just about everything else because of the small screen size and lack of apps that are actually useful.

Another thing I've noticed, completely unrelated, is that I have 10 times more wifi range with my Zune HD than I do with my ipod touch... Maybe I need to RMA the ipod?

Xero07 said:

Not sure if I'll download any of those. But its nice to see Microsoft will still throw a few out there from time to time.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

All of my XP machines have the Zune theme installed in lieu of "Royale". Don't own an MP3 device though. I suppose I'll have to enjoy having a Zune player vicariously, through my desktop.

"Another thing I've noticed, completely unrelated, is that I have 10 times more wifi range with my Zune HD than I do with my ipod touch..."

I have to agree with that. The range of the ipod is horrible in comparison to my old laptop where the laptop shows 3-4 bars and the ipod can't even discover the router yet at that distance.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I frankly don't understand this, the iPod is a breakthrough, world changing device, Steve Jobs said so..

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captaincranky said:

Strange isn't it, yet I can barely make it out of the room my router is in before my ipod drops signal. The wifi range might be a broad issue for the ipod overall, but something is definitely wrong with mine.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

"You're holding it wrong".....!!! (ROFLMAO)

(Sorry, I get carried away).

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

captaincranky said:

"You're holding it wrong".....!!! (ROFLMAO)

(Sorry, I get carried away).

lmao, I'll sell it on ebay if they tell me that

RH00D RH00D said:

captaincranky said:

Implying you have more than one XP installation. I feel sorry for you.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Implying you have more than one XP installation. I feel sorry for you.
Gosh, save your "pity". You say that, but you don't mean it. That said, off with you to patronize or pretend to feel sorry for someone else. Those 3 boxes work just fine! I keep the oldest crappiest one to visit Techspot. It's all I need, it's all you deserve.

XP is still a fine OS. Certain kinds of users with Windows 7 boxes, like to hear themselves run it down. Sort of a sly way of telling us you think you've got something better. I have a couple of Windows 7 machines too. But, like I said, I surely don't need them for this. Any free Linux distro would achieve the same result as well.