id Software: Doom 3 source code to be released this year

By on August 5, 2011, 8:30 AM

The source code for id Software's Doom 3 game will be released sometime this year. While we don't have a specific date, we do know that once the game Rage is released, the company will focus on releasing Doom 3's code to the public, according to VG247.

Rage is slated to be released on the Sony PlayStation 3, the Microsoft Xbox 360, and on Microsoft Windows on October 4, 2011 in North America and October 7, 2011 in Europe. As a result, we can expect the Doom 3 source code as soon as late October.

The news was first announced at QuakeCon 2009, but id Software co-founder John Carmack confirmed it again today, during QuakeCon 2011. He also challenged other developers to release old source code, saying that it helps the development community as well as the company that makes the bold decision.

Doom 3 was developed for the Windows platform by id and published by Activision on August 3, 2004. The game was later adapted for Linux, as well as ported by Aspyr Media to Mac OS X.

Doom 4 is currently in the works, also courtesy of id Software. The game will use the company's new id Tech 5 engine and is slated for simultaneous release on PS3, Xbox 360, and Windows.

When Carmack was asked about Doom 4, he responded that this was the year of Rage. While he declared he didn't "really have anything to say about it," he did note that all the Rage guys are moving over to Doom, but that the company is still "hoping to do Rage 2."

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Lets hope Rage is good. After D3 I feel like Doom has fallen off the map besides the fact that Doom 1 & 2 were exceptionally great and also my first computer games I played as a kid

I loved Doom 3 and played it occasionally well after wearing it out. Unfortunately, last time I tried to load on my new machine, I could not find Disk 1. That was a sad day...

For me, considering single player, it ranks only behind Original Half Life and Original Far Cry.

So what? An old single threaded DX9 game engine. We are living in a DX11 world with lots of cores :D

Yeah, so what? Crysis 2 was no where near the game Doom 3 was fun and atmosphere.

Here's hoping BF 3 actually makes an enjoyable single player campaign.

MrAnderson said:

I would like someone to take Quake using the Tech 4 and turn it into a coop like Quake II... I miss multiplyer coop... playing through the game with a deathmatch amount of people was crazy... but I'd be happy for a drop in and drop out coop.

jonelsorel said:

The source code of the future ! To do what with it? Future smarthope games?

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

So Tic-Tac-Toe in DX11 would be awesome right?

I can't wait to see what people come up with when they do release it. There are some pretty creative people out in the world.

Doom 3 scared the crap out of me

fpsgamerJR62 said:

Doom was my first FPS. I hope Doom 4 will be out by next year. It's been 7 years since the last Doom title was released.

@fpsgamerJR62 think we are gonna have to wait a little longer than that for doom 4 to be released, still playing doom 3 and for me still looks pretty damn good visually with everything at max