Google+ believed to be closing in on 50 million users

By on September 26, 2011, 12:30 PM

Google+ has attracted over 43 million users since opening the doors to their new social network less than three months ago. Ancestory.com co-founder and self-proclaimed Google+ unofficial statistician Paul Allen (no relation to the Microsoft co-founder by the same name) estimates that the social network is slowly approaching 50 million users.

Google announced nine new Google+ features last week, bringing the total number of key features to 100. The most important of them was number 100: anyone can now sign up for the social network, which was previously invite-only.

According to Allen, new members flocked to the service over the 48 hour period before posting his latest estimates which resulted in substantial growth. As of late last week, his calculations indicate that there are 43.3 million users on Google+, a number that is likely closer to 50 million as of writing.

Allen notes that the timing for Google+ opening up to everyone wasn’t random. Google knew that Facebook was holding their annual f8 developer conference two days later and was likely looking to steal some of their thunder (and users) prior to the event. As he points out and anyone with multiple friends on Facebook can tell you, many people dislike the new UI changes that the complany implemented just before f8. Google’s layout is much more simplistic and will likely win over new members on that fact alone.

Rapid growth is promising for Google+ as CNET reported on September 1 that weekly visits to the social networking site were on the decline since mid July.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Dunebeetle, genius!

Cota Cota said:

*bows to dunebeetle*

*bows to dunebeetle*

*bows to dunebeetle*

As I posted last time on one of the articles about Google +... number of people signed up doesn't really mean anything, certainly not success. Myself and a lot of my friends have an account .. i must have close to 100 people in my circles on there now (still nothing close to the 600 or so "friends" I have on facebook) and yet there are only about 3 of those people who post stuff on it otherwise it's completely dead. Everyone still uses facebook.

Saying that Facebook aren't really doing themselves many favours with all these (in my opinion) completely un-necessary and overly complicated/cluttered UI changes. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

G+ is pretty cool. I was hoping they would have called it Google Spot or G Spot for short. It just feels right.

I got tired of the FB crap, taking everything I put out there as if it was owned by them.

You should check it out. Very easy to use. Even someone who uses Linux should be able to figure it out.

WOW!

Some of you are real smart.

Someone posts a link to something they saw and now they are a genius.

I am glad that your version of genius is so low.

I saw a monkey eat a banana, the monkey must be a genius too.

Arris Arris said:

But then a large number of men wouldn't be able to find it *badoom tisssh*

i like its like the old facebook

DanUK DanUK said:

That was me, wasn't logged in. Also I find it a bit annoying on google+ you can't write on peoples profiles.