Ubuntu Linux 11.10 'Oneiric Ocelot' debuts

By Lee Kaelin on October 14, 2011, 9:30 AM

After months of anticipation, the latest release of Ubuntu Linux (11.10) hit the download servers yesterday roughly six months since the release of its previous version, 11.04.  The free operating system from Canonical is now available for download as 32-bit, 64-bit and server editions, and is available in 38 different languages.

“11.10 continues Ubuntu's proud tradition of integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution,” the company said in an announcement regarding 11.10's release yesterday.

The new release brings several new features, including a new Alt-+Tab switcher and the renaming of "Places" to "lenses", which now has multiple features integrated with new advanced filtering options. The dash has new music lenses, which are linked to Banshee, allowing you to search for music online or in your personal collection.

The launchers and panel have been ported to GTK3, and now use a GTK3-based stack, which offers a performance improvement over previous designs. Enhancements have also been made to the UI with application selection and loading performance increased, while the kernel has been upgraded to version 3.0.

Unity now has a 2D option so users won't fallback to the old Gnome interface when their systems are unable to run 3D acceleration. This new release also features the new Gnome 3.2 desktop environment for those that prefer it to Unity -- though some aspects of it are still being migrated from Gnome 2.3.

Ubuntu's software center has received a major revamp, which Canonical say provides a much more enjoyable experience for browsing, installing and removing software. The indicators have had a visual refresh, including the session indicator and the new power indicator. Two new fonts as part of the Ubuntu font family are also available in this new release.

OneConf, a feature that enables users to sync installed apps across multiple computers has been built into the OS, and Deja Dup now has the option to back-up to your UbuntuOne Cloud storage account. Thunderbird now replaces Evolution as the default email client, and is integrated into the indicator menu.

A full list of the changes can be found in the release notes, Canonical has also released 11.10 versions of the other popular 'Buntu inspired OS' for those that prefer other desktop environments.

bioflex said:

I'll be giving this a try very soon.

What's cool is their new tour where you can use an online version of the OS, sort of. http://www.ubuntu.com/tour/

Leeky Leeky said:

For those wishing to try Ubuntu's latest release, but unsure of how to proceed, I will hopefully be finishing up writing a new step-by-step installation guide for this over the weekend.

caravel said:

Been finding it hard to get excited about the 'buntu releases for the last few years...

I uploaded my Ubuntu as soon as heard it was out. I hope that loading software is faster than the old version ( Ubuntu's old software center is such a pain!) I haven't tried it yet. The log in screen is different and I can't seem to find the option to run Ubuntu Classic which is faster than normal Ubuntu because it doesn't take as much resources. Hopefully we will be able to dual boot with Windows 8! Very neat so far.

There is a definite performance difference.

caravel said:

It's tough luck, I'm afraid that "Ubuntu Classic" (or gnome 2 as it is actually called) was removed...

There is a definite performance difference.

Don't tell me - it feels faster?

Leeky Leeky said:

That's because it now falls back to a 2D Unity desktop with the device is unable to run 3D desktops, therefore it will remain in Unity regardless - that's in theory as you've upgraded.

Ubuntu classic aka Gnome 2.3.2 is no longer there either. This release updated Gnome's DE to Gnome 3.2.

caravel said:

Is gnome shell actually on the standard livecd though or does it have to be installed from the repos...? As far I know it isn't and with gnome2 removed there is no alternative OOTB.

bandit8623 said:

You can still install the classic. I searched on yahoo how to do it. Basically install it, then log out and log back in under classic.

I'm running ubuntu in virtualbox. this last update killed my guest addition addon. making my refresh feel like its at 30.. waiting for a fix

Leeky Leeky said:

I thought that would likely be the case, but my point was more that its not included in the new release of Ubuntu. I personally prefer Gnome 3.2's DE to Unity or "classic" Gnome but that's the beauty of Linux - you can make it "fit" your ideals.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

It's about time the ocelot was recognized for more than being the pampered house pet of movie starlets during the sixties. Does this version come with a rhinestone collar?

bandit8623 said:

i figured out how to get guest additions to work. they are now included with ubuntu. under additional drivers.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I've had nothing but problems with it so far. I'm unhappy with both 11.x releases so far, but I'll make it work for now and see if I can get accustomed to it.

Leeky Leeky said:

What problems are you experiencing mate?

Leeky Leeky said:

As promised yesterday, I now have a step by step guide available for viewing here, for those interested in trying out the new release of Ubuntu.

It doesn't seem like the new Ubuntu has the restart option just shut down.

Leeky Leeky said:

When you click shutdown, it then comes up with a pop-up box for you to choose to cancel, restart, or shutdown.

Steve Jobs would be proud.

Butch said:

I'm sticking with OpenS.U.S.E.. Had too many issues with previous versions of 'buntu 11.x...

pjamme said:

well I thought I would give it a try too. however Trend Micro enterprise had other ideas, it threw about a dozen virus warnings at me. So now i am doing a complete scan after deleting my temporary internet files. LOL

Guardian31756 said:

Would anyone suggest this to a Newbie whom is unfamiliar with this OS and would they also suggest running it in a VM environment ?

Just asking, thanks

I wouldn't run it as a VM but instead google this

Wubi

That will let you install Ubuntu as a normal Windows program that can easily uninstalled and it doesn't require an extra partition from your hard drive. It will do a normal dual boot. It is actually very easy.

I would like to know if there is any command for the command line to get the gnome 2D?

caravel said:

The best place to ask this would be 'buntu's own forums.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Is "Oneiric" even a word?