PC version of Battlefield 3 leaks onto torrent sites

By on October 17, 2011, 2:30 PM

With just over a week before its official launch in the U.S., DICE’s highly anticipated PC version of Battlefield 3 has reportedly made its way to various torrent sites. Gaming website Dark Side of Gaming says the download is 9.96GB in size and offers a fully playable version of the shooter's single player campaign.

There are no reports of console versions being leaked at this time. Also, those with pirated copies won't be able to access the game's multiplayer portion -- which is the real meat and potatoes of the Battlefield series -- as that requires a valid Origin account. Still, though the effect on sales might be limited, the leak will certainly upset DICE and game developers in general, as it seems it's no longer a question of if a triple A PC title will be leaked but a question of when.

Battlefield 3 is set to launch for the Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on October 25 in the U.S. and October 28 across Europe. Earlier today, DICE revealed the nine multiplayer maps that will ship with Battlefield 3 at launch. Details and design insights for each of them are available at the official Battlefield blog.

On the PC the game will handle up to 64 players and will take advantage of the latest computer hardware with support for DirectX 11 and 64-bit processors. As such the recommended system specifications are notably high. Be sure to check our Battlefield 3 Beta GPU & CPU Performance Test and get the latest graphics drivers from both AMD and Nvidia.

princeton princeton said:

I saw this yesterday. Y'know EA, steamworks games almost never get leaked before launch, maybe you should take some notes from the successful companies if you want Origin to be successful as well.

That aside it isn't worth downloading 10GB to play the single player 8 days before launch. Maybe if it was a month or two before launch I'd be interested, but 8 days? I'll wait.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

LOL...this leaking to Torrent sites is becoming a regular event for big release games. You really have to wonder how the hell this happens and could it be a possible attempt by EA to publicize the game. (Which I seriously doubt considering how much they've put into advertising the game and released a demo to boot.)

At any rate, I think it will have very little if any impact. Those that want the game have already pre-ordered, and most players want the multi-player option anyway.

KG363 KG363 said:

I will NOT be downloading

RH00D RH00D said:

TomSEA said:

You mean they released a beta build? I don't ever recall there being a demo, unless I have fallen out of the loop or something.

KG363 KG363 said:

RH00D said:

TomSEA said:

Splitting hairs over semantics

"Splitting hairs over semantics"

Because "eagle" and "hen" are different words for the same thing, right?

Trying a game before buying and beta testing a game are very different.

treetops treetops said:

If the entire single player of every fps ever made was legal and free for me to play I probably still wouldn't play any of them. A shooter is just a shooter. Wheres diablo 3 single player fully cracked!?

KG363 KG363 said:

"Splitting hairs over semantics"

Because "eagle" and "hen" are different words for the same thing, right?

Trying a game before buying and beta testing a game are very different.

No, but a 11 month old hen and a 12 month hen are pretty much the same.

How's it going to hurt sales when you start playing it you will get sucked in then you will buy the full version.. It wouldn't surprise me if it has a virus in it LOL NOOBS...

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

it wouldn't surprise me if it was some sort of honeypot.

If i was the CEO of EA, I would secretly leak it my self!

It will be pirated any ways for single player .. and no extra stress on EA .. except for getting more popularity out there!

and trying to earn the "Will it play Battlefield 3" slogan on the NET!

They have the GREAT COD MW3 to complete with!

my two cents.

Cota Cota said:

They have the GREAT COD MW3 to complete with!.

*puts on troll veteran medals*

lol really? hows a retexture better than a new engine that is tweaked to work well whit hi end CPU's and GPU's?

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

I wont even play the game untill my new build. I want the best experience possible

The BF3 "beta" was really a demo which contained bugs so they called it a beta. At least that's what it was for the console players. * I'm not aware if PC players actually filed bug reports.

This article is incorrect, there is no playable version of BF3 available, the disk-images of the russian retail version is available but there is no way to install/activate the retail version as no workaround for Origins DRM has been made available.

They should release a partial version of the game for free. Their customer base is going to want to try it then will definitely buy it for the multiplayer. I might download it because I hate waiting even though I prepurchased.

how 64-bit cpu will help in this game? i hear this for the first time.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

How does an unreleased game get pirated. Hmmm. Weird. Couldn't be someone from the game industry. I mean that would be preposterous.

princeton princeton said:

how 64-bit cpu will help in this game? i hear this for the first time.

64bit windows can address more than 4GB of ram. The game recommends 4GB on top of the VRAM on your GPU. So if you're not running 64bit then you actually won't meet their recommended requirements.

really? ok for pc users graph cards and speed matter but the bulk of this games sales are going to be console. dice has tried and tried but a couple billion dollars of sales trumps all.

You buy a car you test drive it, you buy a pair of pants , you try them on first. You see calamari for the first time.. you try someone else's, you don't buy a $50 plate then find out it's bad or under cooked and needs to have more done to the preparation for it to be palatable.

I'm not sorry that I plan to DL the game, I would prefer to be able to, like I had been from say 1985-~2000, buy a game that was completed AND was what they, the company, said it was. since 2000 more and more games have been coming to the PC side unfinished, buggy and or 1/2 assed console ports.

I refuse to pay $70 for a AAA title that is designed for a console spec from 10 years ago ( 360 et al.). I refuse to purchase a $70 game that can't even start up because it was so 1/2 assed TDU2.

I refuse to pay $70 for a game that is a POS out of the box and the parent company shuts then company down, therefore not even allowing the afore mentioned company to improve the product ( Homeland).

I refuse to pay $70 for a 3rd game in the series that is shorter, graphically the same with a 50% or more reduction in playability over the original title ( DOW II CR)

But more to the point I refuse to pay $7-0 for a game that requires me to give up my personal privacy and legal rights, just so the producers, or those they chose to sell the info to, can bilk you out of more money.

"It wouldn't surprise me if it has a virus in it LOL NOOBS..."

Trust me there usually isn't a virus in it. The trust with the pirates and their "customers" is a lot higher than EA and THEIR customers. The only thing I have a beef with is that they pirate a game/movie/software, and they(the pirates) get really mad when someone else re-posts the pirates work as their own. I mean come on, they were just doing the same exact thing you're doing.

Anyways if you wanted to play battlefield it would be for the online play. I'm making the switch from COD for that, but I'd still buy MW3 for the story. I like the story.

well, they should say 64-bit OS, not cpu, because the cpu perform the same on 32-bit.

been0 there, saw it, didn't download, but judging by comments there aren't playable version - no one managed to install pirated version yet. This article is inacurate.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Well no because you have to have a 64-bit cpu in order to use a 64-bit version of windows? Because if the article had your way that would mean that game recommended a 64-bit os with more than 4gb or Ram but because the cpu is 32-bit only, then neither would be possible?

CryVer CryVer said:

I believe those that will download the game at this time, will be the same people that already have pre-ordered the game.

Cota Cota said:

burty117 said:

He's got a point, they should simply say that you need a x64 OS whit 4GB of memory or more since a lot of people still don't know they need a x64 OS to push to that amount of memory.

Hi Ismael Salazar from San Diego California that had a x86 OS PC whit 8GB's of ram!

PC EliTiST PC EliTiST said:

I strongly believe, it's EA's job to test their new origin's mechanism. They wanna see how the known crackers will crack it, what it's going to happen and how they gonna defend the mechanism.

Otherwise, many scenarios... Wherever they produced the disks, always there are a few faulty disks with just one small scratch. They can't sell it but it works... Someone got one etc... Or retailers.

greatman05 said:

I hear that on DLing a game as a test drive. So many companies think that plenty of people just have oodles of money to sink into video games, but that's simply not the case. I myself haven't downloaded or bought any new (recent) games in years simply because it feels like the quality of games have gone down while the costs have gone up; RA3 for example seemed to be mostly a flop, and that in my eyes ruins the series for me and makes me not want to play the game just to keep my nostalgia engine in the green. It just seems also that companies are not realizing that making a game that barely 5% of people can play properly simply isn't good business sense. Why do you think the Sims 2 was so popular? It had relatively low requirements so that people that simply wanted to play the game could do so without worrying too much about performance problems. What happened to that kind of support?

As of now there is no REAL crack so the game can not be started without a REAL working crack.

larebz said:

Since when has it been a question of 'if' a triple A PC title will be leaked?!

My Xbox 360 has bombed/broke 3 times so far since I purchased it brand new about 6 months after its first release. I will not be going back to a Xbox 360 or a PS3 any time soon. DirectX 11 is on the board and the games for it are coming fast. PC is back in the lead with the image quality and tight controls of mouse and keyboard. Steam has a tone of games for digital download 365 days a year and other companies are joining in. While I have to admit that pirating games on PC is bad, the games are expensive for what you pay.....BUT.....if the game is going to be REALLY excellent quality, triple A title, and a blast to play like BF3, Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3, Skyrim most people would want to pay the cost of the entry fee. Games like Rage for 60$ is a large let down and I don't know about anyone else but I feel ripped off. Make great games and people follow, make crappy cheap games and they feel pissed on and cheated out of their good hard earned cash. What is so damn hard about that equation?