Steve Jobs' thoughts on Android, apps

By on October 21, 2011, 12:00 PM

The authorized biography of Steve Jobs isn’t slated for release until Monday but several news outlets have received advanced copies of Walter Isaacson’s new book and details are beginning to leak out.

The Huffington Post has posted some excerpts from the book, including insight into Jobs’ thoughts on Android. In discussing Google’s rival mobile OS, Isaacson said Jobs was “angrier than I had ever seen him” and accused Android of patent infringement. Jobs believed that Google had ripped off the iPhone and even said he would spend his last dying breath and every penny that Apple had in the bank to make it right. “I’m going to destroy Android, because it’s a stole product,” said Jobs.

Jobs further slammed Google by saying that "outside of Search, Google's products--Android, Google Docs--are shit." He told Iassacson that Apple’s tight control over the iPhone ecosystem stemmed from a desire to “make great products, not crap like Android.”

Another interesting tidbit has to do with one of Apple’s most successful ideas that almost didn’t come to fruition: apps. Early on, Jobs was against the idea of apps, believing that Apple didn’t have enough manpower and bandwidth to police third-party app developers. Apple board member Art Levinson phoned Jobs “half a dozen times to lobby for the potential of the apps.” The rest, as we know, is history.

The biography was originally planned to go on sale in late November but in light of Jobs' passing earlier this month, publisher Simon & Schuster pushed the publication date up a month sooner. CBS will be airing a "60 Minutes" interview with Isaacson this Sunday at 7pm ET.

Mizzou Mizzou said:

I've seen a few other excerpts from this biography and it almost appears that towards the end Mr. Jobs thought that everything that wasn't Apple was stolen.

SammyJames said:

Wow. I mean, DOUBLE-wow. I actually felt bad for the guy until this. I mean, sheesh -- how incredibly lame is that? Calling Android a "stolen" product? If anyone has the right to be angry, I suppose, it could be Linus Torvald. But Steve Jobs getting HIS panties in a twist over it?

Android is Linux. Period. Anyone who disagrees -- well -- look it up is all that I can say about it.

SammyJames said:

Mizzou said:

Mr. Jobs thought that everything that wasn't Apple was stolen.

*Sigh* yeah. It is sad. It's amazing to see that kind of rancor in a guy who so many people admired and liked.

I feel sorry that the guy died and all but man what an *****. Accusing someone of stealing is an absolute joke. Apple accusing someone of stealing? Everything they've ever done was just a slightly altered version of someone else's idea. One could even argue that the iPod, the device that actually got Apple back on the technology scene, is just the idea of a Walkman (Sony) mixed with the technology of .mp3 (invented by several non-Apple engineers). Is that stealing? Of course not. But if it had been another company besides Apple, it would have been steeling.

Like I said, it's a shame he died at such an early age. It really is. But he had an incredible God complex. It's a shame he won't be around to watch Apple once again slowly recess into the shadows.

I remember back in the late 80's when I worked for DEC, and the the higher ups in DEC said the Jobs was impossible to deal with. If it wasn't his idea, then is wasn't worth anything.

I guess "genius" has a dark side also.

SammyJames said:

He had an incredible God complex.

Aye -- THERE's the rub...

The man called Steve Jobs thought that he could live for many years longer than most of us could. He subscribed to the concept of "transhumanism," which is close, in philosophy, to Dianetics and other such cult-like "religions."

It is ironic -- not only how young he was when he died -- but HOW he died. It is exceptionally ironic too, given that according to the excerpts that we read here, he was prepared to spend "every last penny" to fight Google. Heck -- he should have been spending every last penny of his immense fortune to STAY ALIVE.

But some things are beyond wealth. Interestingly, a lot of people in this country believe that they, too, can buy immortality...

(You are also spot-on with your assertions about Apple and "stolen" products. I've mentioned it on these forums before -- Xerox PARC developed the mouse-pointer OS that eventually became the platform for the 1984 Macintosh. Even mouse technology had existed since the late 1960s, at least.)

Cota Cota said:

Boo who like if you didn't saw this a WHILE ago, he may had been very smart but has a person he had a very twisted mind.

If not we have a perfect example, remember Geo Hotz? he is very smart in his field, but his face only said i'm an incompetent. He reminded me to that guy on collage that had bipolar problems and hyperactivity.

SammyJames said:

cota said:

Well, I always knew that Steve Jobs was a bit of a weirdo. I hadn't paid much attention to him, frankly. So, I guess that I was a bit surprised to hear all of these latest bits of information about him.

Color me unsurprised. What bugs me most, though, is that guys with real skill and vision died who most people couldn't care less about. Bob Moog died in 2007, and barely made headlines -- except among sources frequented by electronic music afficionados, et cetera. Bob Moog revolutionized synthesizer music -- by creating an audio synthesizer. He did it without "stealing" the ideas of major corporations or other inventors, for that matter -- unless you count such innovations as the piano keyboard, the transistor, and the oscillator.

Ken Olsen died in February of this year. Did anyone shed a tear about it? I did, maybe just because my dad used to work at DEC, and because I still belong to the credit union associated with the now-defunct company. Ken was an actual engineer who understood every aspect of the computers that he built. Sure -- he wasn't a marketing GENIUS, but he did manage to stay in-business for over thirty years --

about as long as Steve Jobs managed to stay in the game himself.

So -- the question that we must ask ourselves is this: What is more important to humans in a civilized society? Do we value white teeth over great ideas that are implemented well? Do we prefer CEOs to workers? Do we care more about image, or do we care more about substance?

I have answered those questions for myself. You don't have to guess what my answers are. They are, I'm sure, apparent. I don't have the whitest smile around -- that is for certain...

SammyJames said:

And I love how I just wrote "I was a bit surprised," followed almost immediately by "Color me unsurprised." What is most surprising, really, is how much attention everyone is paying to Apple right now. Let's give it about a week -- and people will start to forget.

Win7Dev said:

I guess next Windows 7 was stolen right of the hard drive of apples server. Apple already has windows 8 done, MS is just working on stealing the rest of it right now. /sarcasm

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I think it was pretty evident to everyone that the guy was a ****, but often times its dicks that get the world moving.

We should appreciate the fact that he was such a **** to be the first one to bring a lot of these electronics to the market first, but he also knew when the technology was ready to do so, other people's technology.

Marketing genius is the best way to describe him, not a technology god, and certainly not a human being that made the world a better place.

He knew when the time was right to convince people to buy a product that didn't exist before. But anything beyond that is just iSheep hagiography.

thief who steals from a thief has 100 years of forgiveness....dont you agreed Mrs.Jobs?

Steve Jobs is and was never the problem. The problem is a society that is starved for heros and "genuis" and grasps at anything that gives the "cool and classy effect". If you are really honest and objective, you will wonder why this guy was ever put on a pedestal. Some say his "products" were "revolutionary"? Ask yourself was is so unique and revolutionary about the iPhone, iPad, iPod or *****. Apple succeeded in twisting technology and having the "support" of the masses. As long as our lives are empty, as long as we are interested in "being cool" we will find meaning and genuis in the most mundane and ordinary of things and people and companies like Apple will continue to thrive. Anyway, Siri says this comment is getting too long...

Mac software is Unix-based. Nothing original there.

Patent trolling just went out of style.

"Wasn't Mac OS X sort of a rip-off as well (from Berkeley Software Distribution)?"

Mac software is Unix-based. Nothing original there.

I believe OSX is derived from NextOS which was derived from BSD.

In technology things are built on the previous work of others.

Ritchie got his idea for Unix from working on Multics.

SammyJames said:

Thanks to Steve Jobs, Apple is no longer a record company. It is a media giant.

Thanks to Steve Jobs, we can all place our right hands over our hearts, and sing the national anthem:

"F MAJOR CHORD (But slightly flat)."

Yeah. Anyway, that's all that I'm going to say about it. I'm done. That was a lot of fun beating up on a guy who I never paid much attention to anyway. But I have more important things to do -- like decide whether I'm going with Sandy Bridge, Llano, FX, or Phenom.

Every peson has the ability to help or hinder. We make choices, which create experiences which allows us to learn and grow. Steve Jobs did some really good things and some things that were not in the best interest. The fact that he was so controlling may have lead to something he couldn't control, cancer. We all make choices and have to live our life. Maybe we shouldn't judge Steve Jobs but learn from him and make better choices for ourselfs.

DeliciousPie said:

He was an ******* CEO. We all knew this before these biography leaks were coming out.

caravel said:

Steve Jobs will be remembered as the "genius" who "designed" cute little plastic gadgets so that the average computer illiterate iSheep, could sit on the train on a friday afternoon hammering some illegible crap into their <insert popular mainstream social networking/blog>... that's pretty much all he'll be remembered for.

Revolution 11 said:

This ***** should have died in the 90s.

This was not needed. Love or hate him, he continued to change industries like the music and tablet markets after the 90s. It's not just the popularization of the PC and Pixar that he accomplished.

I still think that the whole tablet craze is a big fad and going in the wrong direction for a whole lot of reasons but I admit that Jobs was a visionary who drove the field forward. It has been a long time since someone did that for the tech industry. To wish he died sooner is lunacy.

To quote the late, great Pablo Picasso:

"Good artists copy, Great artists steal"

I think Jobs misinterpreted that line, and now that Google (among others) has been beating Apple at it's own "game", they are all butt hurt and looking for a way to undermine the competition at the expense of the consumer. No one will take being forced into a product lightly and if Apple continues its erroneous suits, that's exactly what will end up happening. The world does not revolve around Jobs and Apple, although some of the loyalists may think so. Let the consumers choose which companies and their products succeed and which don't.

mosu said:

One could blame Steve's thoughts on his illness and pressure from the public and shareholders.We must accept that an idea could spark simultaneously on more then one and those ideas are induced by discoveries or ideas of other people.I do not blame Steve Jobs but admire his implementations.

tonylukac said:

He revolutionized a lot, but it's called a democracy, Steve.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Omfg, Androids killed Steve Jobs

RH00D RH00D said:

Quite possibly the best post in this thread.

It's quite sad how some people think he will only be remembered for "shiny gadgets". Ahem, he is responsible for a lot more than that. You need to look "outside the box" and understand that he had influence over the entire industry, just like Bill Gates did. Without Steve the technology world would not have advanced as fast as it did because for one, Apple provided opposition to Microsoft and other companies. Apple provided competition and motivation for other companies to advance themselves, and for Apple to also advance themselves when companies like Microsoft were overwhelming Apple. That's just one way to look at Jobs and to better appreciate his presence in the tech industry.

I believe you struck the nail on the head. DEC Hihgher ups claimed he was "Impossible to deal with" would nearly be understated.

When I was 12 years old, my father worked for Steve at NeXT Shortly before they rolled out the NeXT Cube with 68030 procesor.

Now, my pops is a tolerant dude. Can't say I've really ever heard him talk trash about anyone, executive, or mail-room level. For my father to say that Steve was a Crybaby, tantrum throwing little child at any notion to modify or change one of his "godly" ideas on whats NeXT in Computing, well it's must have taken ALOT.

At a trade show in the early 90's in Vancouver BC (hosted at the Pan Pacific Hotel) I remember some of Steve's SE's and Senior sales people just going on and on about what the product could have been, had it had a person with great vision (Steve had great vision) and some common sense to listen to reason.

No matter how incredible the systems were at that time, its still hard to sell a computer any great number of people with a price tag that would eclipse $10k in the blink of an eye.

It was a very cool system that ultimately didn't take off because the "Crybaby In Charge" would not bend an inch on anything with the system design.

I stil have one. It's Mach OS was the lead in for OS X. The Cube I have was a prototyped 68040 model, with 2 Maxtor 660mb SCSI's, the 250mb Optical drive, and the (at that time) Gorgeous megapixel monochrome display.

I for one am sorry he passed, but I don't hold him in the same light others do.. He stomped some heads and backs on his way up, and oppressed many ideas to keep his in the limelight.

Just my $0.02,

ikesmasher said:

You cant blame him. however, his reaction wasn't correct. He was mad that he made a great innovation and that someone else made another one based heavily on his. However, he should have been more flattered seeing how his innovation sparked a whole new cell phone age.

The pain medicine and inability to control his sugar levels caused Steve to become delusional.

Jibberish18 said:

I've never liked Jobs. People admired him, and that's fine but he was every bit a corporate "CEO" as any other and apparently he was a giant hypocrite.

Jibberish18 said:

Also, iOS5 now has a feature that I first saw on Android. The whole slide down screen. Not sure if Android made it but either way. I don't even like Android btw.

aj_the_kidd said:

I always assumed he didnt like Android, but to think he was going to destroy, well try to destroy, Android becuase he thought it was a stolen product was a bit much. Gotta say i was a little disapoint by his remarks and I lost some respect for the guy.

Jibberish18 said:

Yeah Apples notification center is a copy of android notification bar, which its had since 1.5 cupcake or even earlier i think.

Arris Arris said:

A lot of UI design seems to enter consumer consciousness. It's like saying that Company X was the first to put dials for temperature on the front of their ovens, so no one else can copy that and have to place non dial controls in other illogical locations on the device. Given the UI functionality shared across computer operating systems nowadays, it's pretty much accepted that you have icons on a desktop that you click with a mouse, some kind of task bar etc. etc. Smartphones are just computers after all and their form factor strongly dictates the UI layout and design for them. Other than that they are simplified UIs based on desktop computer UIs (that Apple, Windows, Linux distributions and pretty much any other OS uses today) that are carved in stone. There are revolutionary ideas that change the path technology takes, and then there are logical almost unavoidable evolutionary ideas. I mean... Smartphone OS's have finger tip sized icons that work well with a touch screen. What other logical evolution of the phone touchscreen interface is there? All the devices have a Phone and Calendar etc. Again there are only so many logical choices for a recognisable icon to represent each functions purpose. Really software UIs can be likened to hardware interfaces of years gone by. You can't stop other companies from putting door handles on doors at the optimum level, on the outer edge of a door where it makes it the easiest to open the door just because "we did it first".

If you look back I remember my first Palm Pilot PDA's OS at the turn of the millennium had icons spaced out like on todays smart phones. The first phones with colour displays had "Applications" folders with specific applications although limited to calculator, calendar etc. having downloadable apps is just an extension/evolution/reworking of this. I think most people struggle to not let success go to their heads, I'd imagine it would be an even harder task when that success is of the magnitude of Apple's. I've been using mobile device UIs that have similarities to smartphone/iphone UIs for over a decade.

If all the money and effort in these ridiculous and often personal wars was invested in improving products and services mankind would benefit rather than a bunch of lawyers lining their pockets.

Who are we to judge any body. Chill out people just enjoy what's happening.

Raygun said:

I agree with you except that Apples marketing is geared towards the people in society you talk about.

and then we all know that Sony stole the whole invention from a german guy!

Sony did not invent the Walkman (apart of its name) - the principle was laid down long long time ago . Got it folks? The Spiegel had once an article about it.