Weekend Open Forum: What was your first screen name?

By on October 21, 2011, 7:26 PM

This week we'd like to highlight a thread created by longtime TechSpot member LookinAround. He asks: "There's a lot of interesting and curious looking usernames on TechSpot. The meaning of some are more obvious than others. Some usernames are downright impossible to figure out without an explanation! Help satisfy my (and the TS community's) curiosity. Why did you choose your username? What does it mean?"

We'd love to hear those answers if you're willing to share the information, but we thought it'd be fun to spice things up by simultaneously asking about your very first screen name -- assuming you aren't too embarrassed and your privacy won't be compromised. Many of us registered our first Web accounts at an impressionable age and, well, asking youngsters to create a pseudonym is bound to have some humorous results.

In my earliest days online, I used my first name with numbers after it when required ("Matt" is rarely available). I've used more creative (equally lame) handles over the years, but I tend to just use my real name these days. If privacy is a concern, I use the random alphanumeric string that catches bots, such as "6DHFO." That requires no thought because the registration page usually generates one for me and it's always different.

**Image via Losevsky Yellowj/Shutterstock

dustin_ds3000 dustin_ds3000, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

its always been dustin_ds3000

Staff
Matthew Matthew, TechSpot Staff, said:

What does ds3000 mean?

Belladonic Haze was my first and is still used in a lot of places today. First used in 2001, however I've been using the net since 1994! So it took 7 yrs to even get a screen name on anything as it wasn't until 2001 I started using it for more 'social' purposes :)

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Watashi. In the native American Navajo language it means "God." In Japanese it means, "me" or "I" depending on the tense.

In my MMORPG playing days Japanese players would run up and start talking to me in Japanese and I had no clue as to what they were saying....LOL.

treetops treetops said:

hmm probably something I entered in when playing zelda on nes when I was like 5 years old. but uh treetops422 is what I use everywhere. 422 to limit the annoyance of treetops being taken. When I played diablo 1, the earliest online game I ever played I had the names DemonHunter, RedEyedKnight, Sage.

Night Hacker Night Hacker said:

My first was way back before the days of the internet, when the fastest modem speed was 1200 baud, my 1200 baud modem was faster than my friends 300. My first screen name I chose was "Hawkeye", I used that for a long time on the various BBSes we had, also ran my own BBS for a while. I later switched it to "Nitehackr" or "Night Hacker", I needed the shorter form in order to fit most places at the time. I am a late night person who has always loved programming (which is what "hacking" originally meant).

ramonsterns said:

Ra'mon Sterns from when I played SWG.

Now I just use ramonsterns among other names.

Outlaw was my irc screen name back in the day of the wild wild net. Early 90's

Disk Wizard in the 80's BBS scene. Ahhh... the good old days.

Since I got my msn screenname when I was about 10 years old, which is 2001, it's been Lantyem. I'm sure it meant something when I was a kid, but now I have no idea what it stands for, I'm just used to it and I like it.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Omnipotent Ruler of the County

motrin said:

I think mine was fakeptv hha inspired by the simpsons fake 123 st.

RH00D RH00D said:

RH00D, or RH00D2 are the screen names I use online. In the rare case that numbers are not allowed I simply use RHOOD. This is just the first letter of my first name followed by my last name, switching out the Os for 0s. Before that I used Traiz, it does not have any meaning behind it other than the fact that I was trying to think of something that likely wasn't in use all over the net. Before that I used ReadingNayr. The second half of that is my name backwards, I have no idea what the Reading portion of it was supposed to signify, but I only used that back in the days of Xbox Live for the original Xbox. (Halo 2). Before THAT I don't remember my screen names.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My very first user name was Blazer, and I created it in 2000 I think; which, at the time, was pretty generic. I don't recall where I got it from though. I only used that one for like a year or two and then switched to my current one: lawfer.

I took that name from a character from the RPG Valkyrie Profile from the PS1, which, is my favorite JRPG. I liked how, in the game, the father of the character "lawfer" tells his son that he chose that name sort of like to show others he knew his son would bring law and justice to the world. I saw myself always (a mistake for internet newcomers) debating on the internet for what I believed was right, so I stayed with that name on many, many forums, sites, and eventually here.

backthewoody

First one I used was ne1uc. Still my favorite one!

I've generally been thelastsurvivor. This was because I always dreamed of playing counterstrike zombie mod, but never got around to it lol.

Arston said:

Arston, because A R S T are the first four letters on the keyboard layout I'm using ? Colemak. Look it up if you ain't familiar. -on is just to complete it as a name

My first username, and still used in a lot of places because I'm using my old accounts, is my name with my birth-year.

mrtraver said:

I've always used the same one on forums, etc so I can remember it without writing it down. But in games, I use "deathspeed" cuz it sounds scarier. I started using the name "Dr. Deathspeed" while playing the single-player only "The Great American Cross Country Road Race" on my Atari 1200XL in college. I don't remember now if the name just popped into my head, or if one of my college buds came up with it.

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

Well I have been using R3DP3NGUIN for a few years also rpenguin, I have noticed there is another R3DP3NGUIN who uses Xbox live. PLF GANGSTA is my old on-line name

yRaz yRaz said:

When I created my email in 2002(same one I use today) the name I made was k2aka111. That then switched to brickling and now I'm yRaz. yRaz seems to be used in lots of other places so I need to come up with something original. However, I haven't found a place that I couldn't use k2aka111 at or brickling.

i use "Guest" as my screen name.. always

psychocandy

because it was the album I was listening to at the time

p51d007 said:

Same one it's been since I signed onto hotmail when it first started.

P51d007. I'm an airplane nut, so the P51D is the North American Aviation, WW2 P-51 Mustang, the D model, and the 007, well Mr. Bond....I'm a fan of the original 007 movies.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

First screen name back in 1993 was Thunder (yeah I know it's quite lame but it was 1993 and I was just a kid).

ViperV10 in '96

Renegeek said:

Renegeek is My biz name i came up with (Like Renegade & Geek Put together) Back in 2000 i started my computer repair biz and started my. www.renegeek.com . and i use this name for everything like emails and online gameing and etc.

DeliciousPie said:

PimpyMicPimp

Yup.

(Some adult-y cartoon had a seen where a character went "Well alright then, Mr. PimpyMicPimpinheimer!", or something along those lines, and I, as a kid, found that hilarious)

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm quite new to this "Internet handle" thing, but i know one thing for sure: I use 'Benny26' on pretty much all the websites/forums i visit, but i first used it right here on Techspot!...and it was sort of an accident due to me thinking that 'Benny' would so obviously be taken here already.

It's meaning is very simple: My surname is Benn (so people call me Benny)...and i was born on the 26th day.

Leeky Leeky said:

Mine is quite simple really, my name is Lee Kaelin and my nickname is Leeky. So both are used as handles online.

I don't recall my first handles though, I used obscure ones in the beginning and it wasn't till about 3-4 years ago I started using the handles I use now everywhere online.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My current name has served me well for almost 8 years now, and its creation was very simple. Its just alphabetical gibberish that people try to sound out and in the process sound funny. I first created this name as an online character name for Champions of Norrath on PS2.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

dimebag

After the Pantera guitarist...

started using that on BBSs around 1992, eventually stopped using that once this crazy internet became more popular and people started making other associations with the name...

Richy2k9 said:

hello...

guess !!! :P

with year incremental

cheers!

free4rm said:

huduh, because of the the type of work I do

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

18436572

(Chrysler V-8 firing order)

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Yankee1776...first one I can remember anyway. sometime around the time of starsiege

(Chrysler V-8 firing order)

you have yet to ship me that Super-Bee btw.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sedlak was my First I believe when I used to play in internet cafees :3

Now its Gasuros, iCFX / Cyphen and NotoriousJesus

r8bwp said:

My car no plate which are the initials in the name bar the 8. i have found it is easy to use this on any site as who else would use it. As it is personal to me it is also quick to login.

Finding one name that others wont use is the key. Makes logging in to different sites so much easier!

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Call me crazy but I still have and use my first screen name as my primary one loll Created in 1998!

Guest has always been me, unless Tech Spot changes it. Guest means I haven't signed in to Yech Spot. Synonymous to alien, and "one who can write anything he wants without embarrassing himself and keeping his dignity."

rajmond said:

JackBolton is my favorite nickname.

blackbellysheep said:

skylab

because it was my nick name growing up. i started using it online back in 1986.

Xero07 said:

vgking (video game king)

I was young

Raswan Raswan said:

First one was <SMM> BlackJesus. Apparently, 16 was not too juvenile an age to try to think of the sn that will offend the largest amount of people. And yet, I've probably only been kicked off a dozen or so servers ever for having it. Most recently: a Christian CS:S server. Yes, they exist. And yes, they didn't like me too much.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

My first screen name (in the 80s) was CoinSpin - still use it quite often in MMOs and other locations. Fred Saberhagen and his Book of Swords series gave me so many good nicks/screen names/handles.