Battlefield 3 players to get hefty 2GB patch tomorrow

By on December 5, 2011, 3:30 PM

Come this time tomorrow, PC gamers will be able to traverse Battlefield 3's virtual warzones without sunglasses. DICE is preparing a weighty 2GB patch that addresses a host of issues, including an adjustment to the blinding tactical flashlights. According to the changelog, tac lights will produce less glare over "longer ranges." There's a comparison shot below that demonstrates how much the lens flare has been scaled down at a medium distance.

The patch will also deliver most of the content for the Back to Karkand DLC along with dozens of other tweaks. The IRNV scope is now limited to close range, certain weapons are properly suppressed and conceal your minimap location, stealth air vehicles are less effective, firing a weapon on full auto is less accurate, miniguns are weaker against jets and helicopters, and 12g FRAG ammo is less effective with auto and semi-auto shotguns.

Server hosts can once again reduce the number of people required to start a round to one player in both ranked and unranked modes. DICE caught some flak when it increased the minimum to four players. The developer plans to introduce a "warm-up mode" in the near future that will allow gamers to play with scoring disabled until a certain number of people join, which will trigger the start of the "real round." The full release notes are below.

Although there is a consensus among PC players that it's superior to MW3, BF3 wasn't perfect when it launched. The game's forced browser integration is arguably its greatest blemish, but that'll probably never be changed. However, would you say DICE is doing a decent job patching issues that can be fixed? Have the updates improved your overall impression of the game? Are there any major problems that remain unaddressed?

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a problem with spawn timer now showing blue border on startup and lost spawn point
  • Fixed a problem where player who joined queuing on End of round got spawn screen stuck on screen, but unable to do anything with it untill next round loaded
  • Fixed a problem where camera would change to 3rd person on killcam when killcam was turned off in server settings
  • Fixed stat references on several dogtags
  • Fixed for surveillance ribbon not counting TUGS
  • Fixed a missing combat area lines on the minimap for Grand Bazaar conquest small
  • Moved a tank spawn in US base on Caspian Border so it would not be destroyed by a falling tree
  • Fixed a problem where placing C4 with the russians soldier was playing US faction VO
  • Fixed a problem where TV guided missiles could be shot into its own helicopter and destroy it
  • Fixed a problem when attempting to fire lock on weapons without a target
  • Tweaked the chat, it should now be a bit easier to read
  • Fixed several vehicles that did not properly shoot rockets and guns towards their predictive sights
  • Fixed the G17 Supressed Laser not working properly
  • Added alternate HUD colors to help colorblinds
  • Added a network interpolation setting. This allows users with good bandwidth reduce latency, but might increase some stuttering. The user can find what works best for his connection by tweaking the slider.
  • Increased the Spawn protection radius on TDM
  • Fixed a problem with smoke on land vehicles, Missiles should now miss more often
  • Fixed a problem where users could end up with IRNV scope in any vehicle
  • Fixed a problem where player dies if vaulting over a ledge and into water while sprinting
  • Fixed several crashes and increased general stability
  • Fixed a problem where the user was unable to revive two players that have the bodies one over the other
  • Fixed so you can assign an axis and use as a digital input. This makes it possible for the player (on pc) to assign one of the sticks on a gameped to be used for throttle/brake.
  • Fixed a problem with the Kill camera acting up when suiciding from parachute
  • Fixed air radar was showing to much. now lasertagged, heatsignature above threshold, enemy missiles and capture points are only visible on air radar
  • Fixed a problem where the game would enter a technical hang if the user pressed pause menu and tilde at the same time
  • Fixed a problem where you could get green flashes on screen
  • You can now reassign cycle weapons
  • Fixed so the weapon zooms automatically after bipod deploy is gone when using zoom toggle
  • Fixed a problem where the parachute would stay stuck in air if the owner was killed

Balance Tweaks

• Fixed several weapons so they are properly suppressed and hide the player on the minimap when fired.
  • Tweaked Tactical Light so it is not as blinding over longer ranges.
  • Tweaked the IRNV scope so it is limited to usage only at close range.
  • Reduced heat masking effectiveness of Spec Ops Camo.
  • Fixed a bug where Ammo spec would give additional 40mm grenades instead of Frag spec.
  • Increased the number of additional 40mm grenades from Frag spec.
  • Fixed so AT mines only live for 20 seconds after a player dies to prevent infinite mines.
  • Increased the Time to Live on sniper caliber rounds to allow extreme distance shots.
  • Fixed several weapon descriptions, calibers, and fire rates. The weapons themselves have not changed.
  • Fixed so the M9 and MP443 pistol can be equipped by the opposing faction when it is unlocked at 100 kills.
  • Fixed Laser Guided Missiles missing their targets if the target is moving too fast.
  • Reduced the effectiveness of Stealth on Air Vehicles.
  • Reduced the effectiveness of Beam Scanning for Jets.
  • Reduced the damage done to Armored Vehicles and Infantry from AA guns.
  • Increased the damage RPGs and Tank shells do to AA vehicles.
  • Slightly decreased the accuracy for all weapons on fully automatic, burst fire is now preferable at mid to long range.
  • Increased the effective accuracy of long bursts for LMGs when using a bipod.
  • Slightly increased the range of the 44magnum bullets.
  • Increased the close range damage of 4.6x30mm and 5.7x28mm bullets.
  • Increased the reload time of the Mortar from 3.5sec to 4.8sec and increased the time it takes before a shell hits the ground.
  • Reduced the aimed accuracy bonus given by a Suppressor for the MP7, P90, PP2000, PP-19, and UMP45.
  • Increased the range and FOV for designating targets with the SOFLAM and vehicle Laser Designators.
  • Decreased the effectiveness of 12g FRAG ammo when equipped on semi-automatic and automatic shotguns.
  • Slightly Increased the power of Fighter Jet Cannons against all vehicle targets, especially Helicopters.
  • Decreased the power of Miniguns against Jets and Helicopters.
  • Increased the power of Stingers against Jets.
  • Flares reload times for Jets and Helicopter Gunners have been increased.
  • Tweaked the AN94 so its burst fire better conveys the real world advantage offered by this weapon.
  • Added Single Shot to the AN94 as an available fire mode.
  • Slightly increased the recoil on the M416 and removed the Burst Fire mode (this weapon incorrectly had burst fire, which was not authentic).
  • Tweaked the spawns for TDM on Kharg Island, Grand Bazaar, Caspian Border, Seine Crossing, Operation Firestorm, Damavand Peak and Noshahar Canals
  • Tweaked the Gas station Capture area on Conquest on Caspian Border
  • Tweaked the max vehicle height on Noshahar Canals

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

2GB is going to take forever to download, they should have broken it up a-bit. Can EA's server even handle it? I'm glad to see the fixes, still think planes need a 2-3x boost in speed tho. They need to fix a problem where you jump behind cover and then get shot and when you view the replay you were in the open. It's a lag issue, I know CSS had the same problem, but I can't think of its name.

The PS3 patch was a waste of bandwidth and this will be no different.

veLa veLa said:

xclusiveitalian said:

It's called interp

Prosercunus said:

I wonder if it will fix the performance drop that some people have been experiencing.

I have 10 fps less when running AA than before the most recent patch with same drivers.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I hope they fix the hangs and freezes on load up issues, really annoys me when your mate says "Join me on this server" your 6th in queue and you go make a cup of tea and eat some biscuits while reading techspot, then finally you get in just to find the game has frozen loading and now you have to start all over again! then it will always work the second time, you'll join the squad that your mates are in and 30 seconds in... it crashes, then when you do it a third time, everything works fine? its not my PC either and my friends get the same issue.

On another note I really hope this makes getting into the game much better, Its great when it is working even with the glitches, Although it would be nice if they could fix the lag issues and hit recognition, I really hate it when my ping is usually 12-17 yet when I shoot a guy in the back with half a round of my assult rifle he still lives as he jumps over into cover, it doesn't happen too often but still really annoying.

2GB is a bit much? Luckily (touch wood) the EA servers have been good to me here in the UK and I've only ever been dissconnected once (well twice but the second time was because my router crashed) so hopefully this won't destroy the relatively good rep I currently hold for EA's servers.

The 2gb file size should be available via torrent.

When looking at patches, the file size is the least i'd worry about...but some people think differently.

Awesome, still no change to the chat box or any tinkering with it, at 1280x720 it touches the fukn crosshair.

Is this only for pc?

GunsAblazin said:

When are we going to be able to customize our kits and vehicles without starting a game?

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

okay dumb question, what does "most of return to Karkland" mean? do you not have to purchase this add now?

The 2GB contains the Back to Karkand maps too. Just like with BC2: Vietnam, you will download the whole expansion pack regardless if youre using it or not.

Im pleased with these changes. BF3 really feels unfinished in its current state. Its like they rushed it out the door to try and beat MW3, when Call of Duty players dont give a rats about Battlefield anyway.

Next thing they need to do is fix the commo rose!!

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

Next thing they need to do is fix the commo rose!!

okay thanks I thought that back to karkland was a paid DLC

tonylukac said:

2G isn't much when you consider I tested the new star wars game and it was 20G and I downloaded it twice.

seanp789 said:

This patch should have been the release version. There has been a huge drop off of the veteran players waiting for them to balance the game out.

I don't know if it will fix my game but I'm unable to play the multiplayer since launch.

2GB is nothing nowadays, I downloaded the whole game (12 GB I think ?) in 2h, so stop whining, we have the technology now and its affordable.

I just want the patch to come with the re-introduction of destructible ground eg: craters from c4 etc...

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Awesome patch. Yea dudes right, it should have been the release patch, but no one is perfect. I watched the live chat from DICE headquarters yesterday, and sadly I had no idea this patch was coming. The patch notes haven't really done anything that disappoints me, so that leaves connection issues. *crosses fingers*

"Fixed a problem where you could get green flashes on screen."

How many of you have had someone say its a driver issue? Doesn't matter now, I'm just glad its fixed... though on very rare ocassions I would get red flickers. Quick ones, but still a little annoying. DICE wasn't kidding when they said they were listening to the community.

See you on the Battlefield!

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

red1776 said:

The 2GB contains the Back to Karkand maps too.

okay thanks I thought that back to karkland was a paid DLC

If you pre-ordered or got the Limited Edition, Kirkland DLC is free. Otherwise they are $15/1200 MS points, in the XBOX Marketplace and PSN Store if you have neither.

The only content that was free for everyone (eventually), were the DAO-12, the supressor for the SKS, and another gun, I forget the name of it and I'm too lazy to google.

red1776 red1776, Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe, said:

okay, so when they say that "most of return to kirkland is included in the patch", that means it's there should you pay for it to activate it?

(assuming you did not pre-order or get the LTD edition)

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Oh snap! I forgot I had BF3 since Skyrim came out.

jeffz6 said:

gunsablazin said:

Who cares about those changes? In my opinion they'll only make the game worse. I definitely won't be able to fly a helicopter for more than a few seconds before being shot down.quote]

Its suppose to be hard, this is a game of skill not an arcade shooter. Ive seen some very skilled pilots in BF3, I dam are they hard to shoot down.

DanUK DanUK said:

Some nice changes, especially the flash lights as those are just ridiculous.

It's a shame I don't see any mention of the auto squad join when you join a game? No idea why they took that out, seemed like a step backwards :S

It is actually a 3.9 gb patch....downloading it now

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Agreed, the removal of the Auto Squad assignment is a step back, I really wish you change your kits and graphics options separately as well, and Key Bindings. Also wish they would let you have an offline practice maps with maybe a few A.I.'s so you can practice, I found it was a very big learning curve (I've played alot of TF2) and died pretty much constantly until I got to level 3.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

"Fixed so AT mines only live for 20 seconds after a player dies to prevent infinite mines."

Okay that sucks. They should limit the number of AT mines a player can lay by either stopping you laying more than your alloted amount of by making the first laid mine dissappear when you lay another, with some sort of notification that is what is happening. Anything except making them just dissappear after dieing (which happens ALOT).

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Anyone got this installed who can shed some light on issues they were having but are not now?

A couple days ago I was on a full server 64/64, and believe it or not, there were only 2 squads and both of them were full, I had to squad up alone, and no one joined me... Why people would forsake the extra points, extra spawn locations and all the fun that comes from playing with your squadmates is beyond me.

That said, does this patch fix the connectivity issues or the white screen ?

Where is the damn in-game voice?

In game voice? use vent much? so much time spent on making tweaks here and there all of the man hours in producing this game and all you can complain about is in game voice chat.

Grow up and use a vent client, plenty of servers out there.

Cheers to EA/DICE for at least trying to get this right. it will take some more time, but this game will be perfect.

BF3 is impressive! I was sick of Cod rolling out crap since WaW and the last straw was Black Ops for me. I made a decision to switch to BF3 in Oct...awesome1 Nothing much to dislike about BF3 except team kills and chat is taking too much space on the screen.

in game voice

In Battlelog choose "Create Party" (Bottom Right) or join one your friends are in. Voice channel is usually created automagically. If not click "Join Voice" top right of the party box

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Ok the update has made a big difference for me, First off, for me at least, the chat box is now at the top left corner out the way and has been scaled down alot, it no longer crashes at all and gets me in first time every time, my FPS have smoothed out dramatically (i'm using an old GTX260 and the frames were every where!) to the point I don't get lag any more, still can't turn the settings up and the res still needs to be lowered but it is definately better. I still feel the flash lights are too bright. Overall though it has made the BF3 experience much better, Less Lag, No more crashes and loads up a bit quicker as well. Only gripe mainly at the moment is the Hit recognition still being a bit off or very slow and dumb witted. I can revive a team mate, kill two guys and have a guy spawn on me in the time it takes for the hit recognition to detect a tank shot at me!

Emexrulsier said:

What you meant to say is 2Gb is going to take the minority ages to download. The average speed in the in the world is apparently 18mb so thats maybe 20 mins ish. A large majority though far exceed that speed so will see downloads in the region of 5-10 mins.

yeah, i didn't see that in the list of patches, so i guess EA could care less about the thousands of us who were ripped off. I find it kinda funny how they don't even address our problems in a help topic or respond to your emails.

How many of you honestly recognized more than 2 maybe 3 of the problems that EA "fixed"? Be honest... We all know the flashlights are a joke so it's great that they fixed them, (finally after promising to do that from 3 patches ago. Now, who the hell presses the tilde key, the pause key and the control key at one time??? And why would that person do that? Is that the cue to start up the hax?

I saw nothing about correcting the huge discrepancy of survival rates between any regular kitted soldier and a sniper. Hands down the sniper will outlive any regular soldier, regardless of the # of head shots. (But of course this has plagued EA since at least BC2 and has never been corrected.)

Also, I am seeing sniper scope reflections that are so dim you can hardly see them! Saw no mention of that either. But we got a host of fixes for problems that as far as I'm concerned most of us never experienced. But did we get fixes for the problems that have continued to reduce the fun factor of Battlefield 3? Doesn't look like it. Did the DART problem get fixed?

However, I will tip my hat to EA on their efforts to rid the game of cheaters. Best of luck with that, EA.

Average speed in the world may be 18mb, but in a lot of countries they only poll major cities, the majority don't live in cities, but in towns and villages, and most don't get more than 4-6mb, so it can take a few hours, its not their fault, so don't give them grief because their country is not up to speed.

UK is a prime example, only major cities are getting fiber at the moment, most towns won't see it until 2015 at the earliest, and about a third of towns aren't even on the list which puts them back to 2019...

I think they should fix problem from the beginning! If I don't set process affinity to 3-core after 2 mins I get msg "Battlefield 3 has stopped working". Total ignorance of major problems. Disappointed that such big company as EA doesn't see that.

no dude...that was the first big patch...looks like you have another 2gb to update AFTER your 3.9gb patch...lol

I like battlefield 3..ive just started playing it online on my 360 but I was very dissapointed when I saw this update pop up...you dont need it to play, so I wont be downloading it...its a waste of 360 hard-drive space and a waste of data..not all of us have unlimited data plans...this should never have happened...ive never seen a fix list so huge in an update...its clear they rushed an incomplete, glitched game to market to compete with a MW3 release meaning they essentially screwed all Battlefield fans...the first time I was blinded by that shitty little flashlight on the end of a pistol I thought 'what the **** was that?' how did that horrible glitch get through playtesting? You cant just release something knowing full well its broken and then just say 'oh ill fix it in a patch'...honestly I feel like I got ripped off.