Windows 8 to feature built-in password manager, synchronize between computers

By on December 16, 2011, 5:30 PM

Microsoft hopes to simplify the task of managing multiple passwords with the next major release of its popular operating system. According to a post on the company's Building Windows 8 blog, a new feature will allow users to put an unlimited number of individual passwords behind one master password, and have them synchronize across all other Windows 8 machines they use.

Since the Live ID is the only password you'll need to know, you can set complex and unique passwords for multiple websites -- so if one site gets hacked and your credentials are stolen from their servers, you entire digital lives won't be at risk. Windows 8 will automatically enter your login information when visiting a saved website. This is similar to what services like 1Password and LastPass currently offer.

If your Windows Live ID password is somehow lost or stolen, there will be a number of safety features in Windows 8 designed to detect compromise and limit account usage until you can successfully recover access to it. For instance, users can request a confirmation code be sent to a mobile phone number or email address registered with Windows Live. Also, even if your credentials are compromised, you will still have full access to your PC since Windows 8 will accept the last password successfully used to log onto the system.

Microsoft says it will also offer a a number of "convenience" sign-in methods such as Picture Password and biometrics -- they didn't go into details but promised to do so in a future update. You can read more about Windows 8's security features in the characteristically long post at Building Windows 8.

Nima304 said:

I crack Windows passwords all the time. Don't tell me I can't crack this so-called "master password" too. It's a good idea if individual websites get hacked, which doesn't happen that often, but a terrible idea if your Windows 8 machine gets hacked.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Nima304 I see your point... I dont know much, but I use a Linux boot up CD that deletes windows passwords for XP, Vista, and 7. Who knows if this will work for windows 8 yet... and highly doubt that this boot up disc has capabilities such as that.... but I could bet that it would be just as easy to figure out.

However, this feature is lovely. I'm kinda excited about it, lets just hope that it's not that easy to key a "master password" to hack someone's Windows 8 computer, because then they would most likely have access to all your computers synced, and know exactly how many you have.

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

Oh and good luck using this feature with Chrome...

gee, yet another 'feature' straight from os x... complete copy, and years behind. people who use windows are un-imaginative and dull, like it's programmers.

Welcome to 1999:

Actually all those "features straight from os x" were first done in Linux. Please take your fanboy attitude to somewhere it might be warranted...like the apple store.

Wow! This is amazing technology... How did Microsoft come up with such a great idea on there own?

I sure wish I could do that on Mint Linux or Apple OSX.

Oh yeah... I have been able to do this for years on Linux and OSX.

Mcrosoft makes me laugh. :-b

You do understand that the Windows Live passwords are not saved locally on the computer at all right? You can try all you want but there is nothing on the computer to crack. If you can hack into Windows Live servers and get the passwords, more power to you.

OMG please tell me you people are not this retarded. Did you read the article? Or just up to a point then decide that your going to start bashing MSFT for copying something. Did you read about using Windows Live sign-ons (cloud based) and not have locally stored accounts? If anything its a slight knock off of Chromebooks, but it takes that to a different level with different types of security and login options. No Apple Has NOTHING like this. Not even close. They just STARTED getting into the cloud game and well it kinda sucks to boot. Google is the farthest along with Msft right on their heels but this pushes them in front. Try reading the entire article and understand the underlining technologies behind something before commenting.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

but...but its stores passwords just like my apple!!!!

Trillionsin Trillionsin said:

same guests... same guests everywhere!!! You guys need to grow some balls and create (or log into) your Techspot account. Take credit for what you are posting here.

Apple technology may be more advanced (to some opinions)... however it's never seemed useful to me, or practical for whatever reason, to expensive as well. Linux, it well, useful to a point... but still not practical for everything I like to use a PC for.

Fanboys will be fanboys, I'm just glad that Microsoft is going to get this integrated into their OS. Whether they copied it or not, who cares. Everyone copies someone at some point... it just depends on whether you can put your own spin on it and call it yours.

Yeah because it's not like OS-X stole anything from Unix to sell right?

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

I'm curious as to how secure this built-in password manager is...

If it's as secure as Hotmail then I'll pass thanks. I hardly know a single person who hasn't had their Hotmail account hijacked.

Trusting MS with security is like hiring al-Qaeda to protect the twin towers.

dummybait said:

The only reason OSX owners are trolling this crap is because they are board with their Prius... so to make themselves feel better, they must bash another OS... or anyone who uses it..

so because my workplace uses windows...i must be dull... and because my gaming rig uses windows,...i must be dull, oh and unimaginative too.. oh and because i despise apple and there socialist ways...erm i must be dull... hmm ok

Cota Cota said:

OS password != Security

jobeard jobeard, TS Ambassador, said:

so because my workplace uses windows...I must be dull... and because my gaming rig uses windows,...I must be dull, oh and unimaginative too.. oh and because I despise apple and there socialist ways...erm I must be dull... hmm ok

whole discussion is dull - - DUH!