GoDaddy loses over 37,000 domains due to SOPA stance

By on December 26, 2011, 8:53 AM

It's been a hell of a Christmas weekend for GoDaddy. The hosting and domain registrar company lost more than 37,000 domains in the past couple of days due to its shaky stance on the controversial Stop Online Piracy Act. According to information reported by The Domains, over 15,000 domains were transferred off Thursday and another 21,054 on Friday, despite GoDaddy's attempt to control damage by withdrawing its support to SOPA.

The backlash against GoDaddy kicked off after the company appeared on an official list of companies supporting SOPA, a proposed bill that would allow the U.S. Department of Justice and copyright holders to block access to sites accused of infringing copyright, and stop payment processors and online advertising networks from doing business with them -- all without due process.

The idea of a domain registrar supporting DNS blocking legislation to serve the interests of overzealous copyright owners and media companies prompted Internet users to stage a widespread boycott, declaring December 29 "move your domain day." GoDaddy initially dismissed the move as having little impact on their business, but was later scrambling to let everyone know it no longer supports SOPA legislation.

In a recent statement, Warren Adelman, the company's newly appointed CEO said: "Fighting online piracy is of the utmost importance, which is why Go Daddy has been working to help craft revisions to this legislation – but we can clearly do better. [...] It’s very important that all Internet stakeholders work together on this. Getting it right is worth the wait. Go Daddy will support it when and if the Internet community supports it."

Despite the reversal, the company is not taking an active stance against the bill either, which may have prompted many to carry on moving their business elsewhere. High profile customers threatening to move away from GoDaddy include Wikipedia cofounder Jimmy Wales, and the CEO of the Cheezburger family of humor websites, Ben Huh. It's unclear if they carried on with their plans after GoDaddy's change of heart.

Go Daddy and its General Counsel, Christine Jones, have worked with federal lawmakers for months to help craft revisions to legislation first introduced some three years ago, and have said the company would support DNS blocking as a way to strike at foreign websites that infringe U.S. copyrights. As of Friday, Jones has removed posts at GoDaddy.com describing the company's support of provisions in SOPA.

Take Action

You can read more about SOPA in an article by The Verge and another one by ArsTechnica. You can also find a few ways to take action against the bill at americancensorship.org. Lastly, if you have a registered domain at GoDaddy and want to join the boycott here's a step-by-step guide on transferring your domains away.

backo said:

Go away Daddy!

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Ha! That's great! I can't stand Go Daddy's commercials. They insult my intelligence.

Captain555 said:

Good, they have to learn there's a price to pay for supporting that SOPA crap.

Cota Cota said:

oh my science they sell t shirts...

trparky said:

According to this site...

[link]

It seems they have lost more than what this article says they've lost, more like to the tune of 1 million domains.

trparky said:

From 11/14/11 to 12/19/11 they've lost approximately 956,183 domain names.

dedparrot said:

i hope they go out of business

p51d007 said:

THIS is how you change the mentality of a business. You hit them where it hurts! In the pocketbook!

howzz1854 said:

i think what most people have problem with.... and the key ingredient here is... "without due process". this makes it all the difference. McCarthy era anyone? witch hunt?

DokkRokken said:

It's now said their stance is changed. If they revert and becoeme pro-SOPA again, I'll be transferring my domains to someone else.

trparky said:

They've already said that they only have retracted support for the current version of SOPA and they still want to work towards a more "Internet community friendly" version of SOPA. Meaning, they haven't really retracted support at all. This is just plain PR spin to make them look better, nothing more, nothing less.

Behold the power of the internet community when threatened.

Anger the people and you suffer the consequences, very, very immediately.

Supporting this SOPA bilge is a great way to put yourself out of business online.

Once my accounts expire I'll be transferring them also.. How can they change their stance after they admitted helping to write them !

Guess the pocketbook will get all the other companies to rethink also.

Now that they've lost huge amount of customers, does that mean they'd put up an even more dumber (like 10x dumber) commercial on Superbowl to keep up with the hype?

twocans said:

I have 1.2k domains at godaddy, .coms, nets and .co.uk. I hate to think that godaddy will start policing the internet. I do not do anything wrong with my sites but I do feel I am giving godaddy support by using the services they provide. godaddy is not a police service.

I do strongly not believe in "allow the U.S. Department of Justice and copyright holders to block access to sites accused of infringing copyright"

The concept of "infringing copyright" can be minipulated by those with lots of money to stop the small man on the street to grow a legal business.

k

First, we had to suffer under the industrial-military establishment in place after WWII the Korea War..

Now, we have to watch out for Media companies destroying the balance in copyright law; and screw due process. Not only do content companies mostly provide crappy, repetitive, and fearful content, they now want to make our eyes into their content, their property.

Personally, I stopped watching TV, except for some PBS without ads, years ago. Try it out! You can become who you are instead of what greedy corporations want you to perpetuate -- fear and ignorance.

If they are that creative let them develop a different business model that doesn't imply interrupting your attention by blaring ads at you to buy crap its mostly bad for you.

They also won't be pci compliant....does anyone here know of a company similar to go daddy that is pci compliant for my online store, that is simple to deal with like go daddy. Others I called are making it very difficult to switch over.....

GoDaddy has become Go BigBrother.

I beg to differ,

There is no accountability on the internet. People hide behind rights and anonymity. I run a Independent Game Studio, I love the internet as a platform distribution method, but it also my biggest enemy. For ever legitimate game I sold that connects to my servers, NINE pirated copies of my game connect. That is 90% of my player base did not pay for my game, not to mention those who did not connect.

I'm not a large company, only 2 other employees, it is a barely sustainable business, I could hire more employees if I were doing better. The hardest part is I know the big sites where people are pirating my games, I put in notices to shut the download down, they comply, but a day later there a new link to the download. They don't care and claim they are not responsible for what users upload and they are making money off this. And there is really no legal course for me to protect my IP because of this.

Now I come along and want these sites shut down, and I'm the greedy one? I did all the hard work for my IP, and they make money from users stealing my IP and allowing others to download it?

"Domestic production and consumption of counterfeit and pirated products costs the US

economy $215 billion annually." -GPIC(Global Intellectual Property Center)

You think the US government is going to do nothing about it.

Try DVR for no more ads

I agree, hit them in the pocketbook, it is awesome to see the power of the consumer when companies try to manipulate us and how it sends a message to other companies that will see the impact on GoDaddy!

I completely agree with you. I do not have cable and its amazing how much propaganda I am no longer subjected to by greedy seedy capitalist who only place value on money and things not to mention their questionable morals and values. We as people need to learn to think for ourselves and question everything!

Go Daddy is wall street

IT'S OFFICIAL: GO DADDY PARTNERSHIP IS A "DONE DEAL"

Go Daddy, KKR, Silver Lake & TCV Join Forces to Create Bigger Tech Powerhouse

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (Dec. 16, 2011) - Go Daddy now officially includes strategic financial partners, KKR | Kohlberg Kravis Roberts is a wall street financial investment firm and now you now the truth.

For the sake of Securing their overpriced Funds [and products].

Politicians are trading away our [on-line] Freedom(s), for the sake of a campaign contribution.

Drink the Kool-aid or develop some intelligence.

BORG LOCUTIS said:

How does it feel to be bullied by the mass mobs---now you know how outsourced security guards feel in your local cities across america! What's sauce for the goose-is sauce for the gander!

We will bring the abomination this country has become-- down to the flagstones-if it be piece by bloody piece-so-the-hell-be it ! (GUY FAWKES, THE MASSES, THE HACKERS AND THE MARXIST'S)

good bye go daddy we support a free internet, and the government can go to hell with their scams and lies.

I feel sorry for the one brave guy/gal who begged to differ...(s)he has a very valid concern, and it seems that small businesses have little to no effective recourses against criminals that are intent on stealing software. Hopefully there are a few more out there who aren't afraid to speak up against the scumbags who horribly outgun the good guys...or support attempts (albeit misguided to many) to bring them to justice.

reality is that they want to save failing marketing models by imposing laws and restrictions, when you have everything already, you certainly are not interested by change and progress.

**** YOU to the establishement and **** YOU to their lackeys (go Daddy I'm looking at you)

"overzealous copywright owners." Wow. Next thing you know "overzealous" home owners might complain about their house being robbed. Get a job hippies, and buy your **** legally.

theres already t-shirts on ebay. lol, search "stop sopa"

I wish those transfers were due to the boycott, but sadly, since the decrease in number of domains started long before the boycott was announced, and because their marketshare didn't decline, I think there's something different going on.

trparky said:

I believe that piracy in all its forms both physically and digitally should be stopped and that people who work hard to make the things we love should be compensated for their hard work and talent, but... when the laws to stop said piracy treads on my freedom of speech, I have to draw the line.

My1Rx said:

To late now GoDaddy. Your betrayal to former customers will not be forgotten. JP.

I know it's small fry, but they just lost another two domains. Don't let this aloof and arrogant business off the hook, don't do business with godaddy, bluerazor, domainsbyproxy, domainspricedright, etc.

If not for the internet, do it for the endangered species.

A couple of problems for using the online piracy that goes on to justify SOPA. The first is mentioned in the article. SOPA supports revoking rights without due process. That leaves it open to all kinds of abuse (there is a reason that due process exists, believe it or not).

Another problem is this idea that the copies of a copyrighted work that are obtained illegally would otherwise be obtained legally. If you created a game and 90 percent of the copies of it are obtained illegally, then if those copies couldn't be obtained illegally, most would simply not be obtained. It's more likely that the elimination of illegal copies would lead to 10% greater sales or less than it is that it would result in ten times as many sales.

Fantastic people! We can do it. First it was Bank of America,Then Net Flix and Now Go Daddy.

Cmon lets do something that to ROCK THIS PLACE TOGETHER and get rid of all the political ******

GoDaddy used to support SOPA.. then they took an arrow to the knee.

Which obviously isn't much now is it?

GoDaddy's stance is a business one. When people ding them for being 'questionable', they don't know how business works.

First, GoDaddy is a corporation that employs thousands of people through direct and indirect contracts. You transfer out of GoDaddy and you're upholding your 'ethical stance', great, go hug a rainbow. However, you're also making a corporate giant more unstable income-wise, thus potentially killing jobs. With the USA's economy right now, you would think of an alternative but nope, 37,000+ domains gone and probably 25% of that hosted web sites means millions in lost revenue. Millions of lost revenue means a handful of employees will get laid off and all those families that need their moms and dads' incomes would also be affected.

Good job consumers! Making 'ethical choices' that screw others over.

Second, GoDaddy's founder Bob Parsons killed one elephant. He didn't hunt and kill elephants - not the plural. He killed one elephant that fed dozens of malnourished families. Most people who comment saying he's an animal abuser buy their food at a local grocer. These people that ate the elephant often go for days without food because there is no local grocer.

Again, good job consumers for skewering the facts and blowing it out of proportion. If killing one elephant of an endangered species was truly that bad, then please follow through with that ethic and DO NOT buy your goods and services from everyone that are hunters, butchers or those with some form of petty and otherwise a criminal history. Don't by a hypocrite please. Makes you look utterly lame.

Third and lastly, if you think GoDaddy's nav system is hard to use, I have to slightly agree with you, but like all things - like all hosting companies, there is a learning curve. Do you expect to play hockey or football well right at birth? No, so don't expect to know how to program in PHP or plant a good farm in 30 minutes. GD needs work in their nav system and prices, but that's about it.

TL, DR: Consumer's domino effect of what is truthful is often skewered by various personalities. Re-check the facts before making decisions because your choices may effect more than just your 'ethical' ideals.

BUT THE KEY POINT I HAVE NOT SEEN ANYONE ANSWER IS HOW MANY ARE LEFT??

IS THIS A SIGNIFICANT PERCENTAGE OR JUST A DROP IN THE OCEAN?

I have not seen any commentators, anywhere, answer this.

They lost 30,000 odd but what percentage is that of their total business??

Is this 1% or 50% of their customers or what?

Tomorrow_Rains said:

They went from 60 million to 59 million.

That's hardly one percent.

My1Rx said:

To late now GoDaddy. Your betrayal to former customers since 2010 will not be forgotten. JP.

You're article has inaccuracies. They still support SOPA.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Which obviously isn't much now is it?

Good job consumers! Making 'ethical choices' that screw others over.

...

Ok, so just to recap... A company is supporting a seriously questionable bill that could be totally misused and (theoretically) affect the freedoms and liberties of every single person using the internet... And we are not allowed to decide what to do with our own business, or who we deal with, just because it might affect the employees of that company? Really, that's your stance? So, by your logic, companies like Enron should never have lost business or had any kind of backlash because of their business practices. Bernie Madoff should have run free, since I'm sure he had some employees that depended on him. And hey, all those financial institutions that did their best to destroy our economy with their stupidity should have just gotten a pat on the head and not suffered a scratch, since so many people were employed by them...

Fact is, we have a RIGHT to choose who we support and who we do not. Sure, pulling business out of GoDaddy may affect jobs. But, it will also create a corresponding amount of jobs elsewhere, it's not a freakin vacuum - that should be basic knowledge for someone who seems intent on lecturing everyone else on how business works... If you want to rant on someone, try placing the blame where it belongs - rant on the (probably highly overpaid) executives at GoDaddy who decided to support this crap legislation in the first place. If jobs are lost, the fingers should point right to the top, not to the customers who have chosen how they want to spend their money.

/end counter-rant

When I took over domain management at my company, my first order of business was to move everything we had away from GD. I took pride in moving the almost 200 domains we had with them, despite the pain in the rear it was. I have never cared for their marketing tactics, and as a female working for woman-owned company, I felt it was something I just had to do. Love seeing them lose their hold on the internet.

yeah let's give free reign to companies because they hire people, sorry but the hostage taking tactics do not work. Try to scare us more, lackeys.

PinothyJ said:

BORG LOCUTIS said:

What is good for the goose is good for the gander is about gender (in)equality and has nothing to do with what on earth you are going on about...

PinothyJ said:

Tomorrow_Rains said:

They went from 60 million to 59 million.

That's hardly one percent.

It is 1.6%...

Yeah sorry to hear that but they're not going to police this with no "due process". Get real

Pulled my domains this morning.

olamoree said:

First it was the GoDaddy CEO killing elephants on safari and now supporting SOPA... tho they might have backed down due to the transfers, they still killed elephants, enough for me to have moved my domains. You can too!