Launched as a fledgling Web operation in 2001, Newegg has become the second-largest online retailer in the US and the number one destination for tech-savvy shoppers. Given its position, the company is privy to all manner of technology trends, including the holiday's hottest products. Newegg has released a list of the top-selling gear on its site through the shopping season, spanning various consumer electronics and PC hardware categories:
- Laptops/Notebooks: 15.6" Asus A53E-EH91
- Televisions: Sceptre 32" 720p LCD HDTV
- Video Games: Microsoft Xbox 360 250GB Holiday Bundle with Halo Reach and Fable 3
- Digital Cameras: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K 12.1 MP
- Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
- Monitors: Acer G235HAbd 23" LCD
- CPUs/Processors: Intel Core i5-2500K
- Motherboards: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
- Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 3.5"
- Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2 x 4GB)
- Video Cards: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
Amazon, the top US e-tailer, has also offered a list of its best-sellers. Unsurprisingly, the Kindle has experienced its finest holiday to date, moving more than four million tablets and e-readers through December. Kindle book sales also soared at the end of 2011, with the gifting of e-books up 175% over the year-ago period and Christmas day marking the biggest day ever for Kindle book downloads. We've included some of the top products below:
- Electronics: Kindle Fire -- Kindle Touch -- Kindle
- Video Games: Just Dance 3 -- CoD: Modern Warfare 3 -- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- Books: Steve Jobs -- Diary of a Wimpy Kid -- 11/22/63
- Kindle Books: The Hunger Games -- Catching Fire -- The Litigators
- CDs: Christmas -- 21 -- Duets II
- Amazon MP3s: 100 Classic Christmas Songs -- Mylo Xyloto -- A Very She & Him Christmas
- DVDs: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 -- Bridesmaids -- The Help
- Amazon Instant Video: Super 8 -- The Help -- Crazy, Stupid, Love
- Amazon Wireless: Droid Razr 4G (Verizon) -- Galaxy S II Epic Touch (Sprint) -- Galaxy S II 4G (AT&T)
- Amazon App Store: Angry Birds (ad-free) -- Tetris -- Pandora Internet Radio
Overall, comScore reports that online holiday spending reached $35.3 billion during the first 56 days of November and December, up 15% over last year. In the most recent week (ending Christmas day), the outfit recorded $2.8 billion in spending, up 16% from the same period in 2010. In case you missed it, we recently published a compilation of 2011's best-rated tech products based on average review scores assembled by our Product Finder.
In the frigid northern province of the continent of Tamriel the legendary dragon god Alduin rises, bringing with him a plague of ferocious flying lizards and the promise of the end of the world of Nirn. Only one being stands between this malevolent force and the people of the eponymous province Skyrim: Dovahkiin, the Dragonborn, a figure blessed with the ability to absorb the very powers these terrible creatures seek to unleash upon the land.
Amazon sent a wave crashing through the mobile industry when it announced its Kindle Fire would land with a price of $199. This is likely the best value in a tablet on the market, and will make tablet computing accessible to many people that either couldn't afford an iPad or couldn't tolerate Honeycomb tablets.
Downloads and Drivers
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: