Newegg and Amazon report their holiday best-sellers

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Launched as a fledgling Web operation in 2001, Newegg has become the second-largest online retailer in the US and the number one destination for tech-savvy shoppers. Given its position, the company is privy to all manner of technology trends, including the holiday's hottest products. Newegg has released a list of the top-selling gear on its site through the shopping season, spanning various consumer electronics and PC hardware categories:

• Laptops/Notebooks: 15.6" Asus A53E-EH91
  • Televisions: Sceptre 32" 720p LCD HDTV
  • Video Games: Microsoft Xbox 360 250GB Holiday Bundle with Halo Reach and Fable 3
  • Digital Cameras: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47K 12.1 MP
  • Software: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
  • Monitors: Acer G235HAbd 23" LCD
  • CPUs/Processors: Intel Core i5-2500K
  • Motherboards: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
  • Hard Drives: Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 3.5"
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB (2 x 4GB)
  • Video Cards: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Amazon, the top US e-tailer, has also offered a list of its best-sellers. Unsurprisingly, the Kindle has experienced its finest holiday to date, moving more than four million tablets and e-readers through December. Kindle book sales also soared at the end of 2011, with the gifting of e-books up 175% over the year-ago period and Christmas day marking the biggest day ever for Kindle book downloads. We've included some of the top products below:

• Electronics: Kindle Fire -- Kindle Touch -- Kindle
  • Video Games: Just Dance 3 -- CoD: Modern Warfare 3 -- Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Books: Steve Jobs -- Diary of a Wimpy Kid -- 11/22/63
  • Kindle Books: The Hunger Games -- Catching Fire -- The Litigators
  • CDs: Christmas -- 21 -- Duets II
  • Amazon MP3s: 100 Classic Christmas Songs -- Mylo Xyloto -- A Very She & Him Christmas
  • DVDs: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 -- Bridesmaids -- The Help
  • Amazon Instant Video: Super 8 -- The Help -- Crazy, Stupid, Love
  • Amazon Wireless: Droid Razr 4G (Verizon) -- Galaxy S II Epic Touch (Sprint) -- Galaxy S II 4G (AT&T)
  • Amazon App Store: Angry Birds (ad-free) -- Tetris -- Pandora Internet Radio

Overall, comScore reports that online holiday spending reached $35.3 billion during the first 56 days of November and December, up 15% over last year. In the most recent week (ending Christmas day), the outfit recorded $2.8 billion in spending, up 16% from the same period in 2010. In case you missed it, we recently published a compilation of 2011's best-rated tech products based on average review scores assembled by our Product Finder.

Permalink to story.

I used to read and look at every Newegg deal flyer/sale they sent to my email.
After carefully looking at the last several in the past few months they aren't even close to being deals and its turned into marketing spam for the most part.

Closeout this, year end deal this, same average prices.

amstech said:
I used to read and look at every Newegg deal flyer/sale they sent to my email.
After carefully looking at the last several in the past few months they aren't even close to being deals and its turned into marketing spam for the most part.

Closeout this, year end deal this, same average prices.

Agreed. I wanted to buy a 32 or 64GB flash drive for Christmas, but prices haven't gone down since September.

They seem to have a trend of incremental price increases, up to their next "blow out" sale, which simply lowers products back to their original price.

Newegg = Over priced. I can't understand why people buy from them. TigerDirect is much better for tech stuff IMHO. But I love Amazon. Order from them all the time. I never have to leave my house to shop with Amazon Prime, I order and its at my door the next day with no sales tax and free shipping. I would however, prefer to shop at my local brick-and-mortar shops but since WalMart moved in and forced them all out of business I don't have the option anymore. (And no, I will NEVER buy anything from WalMart)...

Tigerdirect/CompUSA are okay, but one major thing they have going against them is their website. It's just a mess - one of the worst I've ever seen. I feel like I'm getting spammed everytime I visit the site.

Ordered a Galaxy Note from Amazon on the 20th, arrived from GERMANY on the 23rd.
That's why I love Amazon!

Always bought my parts from Newegg. It's where I usually go first if I'm looking at that kind of stuff.

sorry. newegg emails are just regular spam anymore. used to look at them. now i dont even bother. serious marketing smoke & mirrors for everyday prices found all over the web.. hold on- just got another one of their retarded non-deal emails again. ** added to spam filter ** done and done. ^_^

Does anyone know pricegrabber?
It is very usefull to compare, sometimes ZipZOomFly or TigerDirect becomes cheaper than newegg.

To guest above, I'm guessing you haven't been to ZZF recently. Their website has been down for a few months and before that they had very little merchandise to sell. Maybe one day they will be back but for now it doesn't look good.

Newegg has the best customer service of all companies ive purchased from. But seriously, bestbuy is having better deals than them this year, and thats saying something.

Tigerdirect/CompUSA are okay, but one major thing they have going against them is their website. It's just a mess - one of the worst I've ever seen. I feel like I'm getting spammed everytime I visit the site.
Agreed. I liked the old newegg site, and it was much quicker to find things.

Back