Weekend Open Forum: How many computers do you own?

By on January 27, 2012, 8:00 PM

I can vividly remember wanting a computer for several years before I actually received my first one, a lovely AMD K6-2 333MHz beast (or so I thought) as a Christmas gift way back in 1998. I was always fascinated with technology and wanted to learn more about it but my parents weren’t able to make it happen financially until I reached high school.

Here I sit nearly 14 years later and it’s amazing how times have changed. Few could have predicted the overwhelming success of the Internet and how technology in general would be injected into every aspect of daily life.

A PC was once considered a luxury item but in the world we live today, it’s becoming closer to a necessity with many people owning several computers. I can’t help but think back to one of my favorite movies, Back to the Future, when Marty McFly tells his mother and grandparents (in the past) that he has two televisions, to which Stella replies, “Oh, honey, he's teasing you. Nobody has two television sets.”

Pictured: Steve's triple monitor setup, as showcased in our Triple Monitor Gaming review last year.

With that, we want to know how many computers you own today and actively use (those dust buckets in the basement don't count). For the sake of staying on a level playing field, let’s limit it to true computer systems and exclude things like smartphones and tablets.

veLa veLa said:

I have my gaming laptop and my older self-built desktop. I plan on eventually upgrading the desktop.

free4rm said:

Two towers, main pc in my media room (the only hard-wired system) and the other is connected to the large screen LCD tv in the living room using two wireless adapters for dual band router. Two laptops, one stays in the kitchen the other I use as my mobile. Will be making the final upgrades to my main computer and will use the spare parts to build a tower for the LCD tv in the bedroom.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said:

I currently own 20 - but only have 10 actually in use. At my peak I had 21 machines - that was 5 years ago this April. I had to leave 8 of those 21 machines when we moved because the wife said I was out of control and needed to downsize. I'm including my laptops in all of this, of course.

Are we talking about working comps? I've got 7 working computers in the house, 5 of which are mine. I've probably got enough parts to slap another two together though.....

working:

-Amd 550 BE gaming rig- gaming/programming on 4 screens

-Core 2 Quad 8400 spare gaming rig- my brother uses this guy for gaming

-Alienware m11x that dell just repaired (bad hinges= new lcd)- school/gaming/programming

-Core 2 duo 6650 spare- I use this for fixing other comps because it always works.

-Pentium 4 3.0Ghz server- used for backups and streaming tv shows around the house

Vicenarian said:

I have 5 desktops, two laptops, and many, many virtual machines

mailpup mailpup said:

I own 9 mid tower PCs. They all work but I only have two plugged in at any one time. I rotate through them periodically to keep them updated. My wife has one mid tower which is also hooked up. The first two are old Dells. The rest I built myself.

3 laptops - one 15 inch and two 17 inch

1 netbook

2 desktops

Will be purchasing another 15 inch in February!!! I'm hooked!

Four. A laptop for roaming. A mac mini for most web-based useage. An older XP Pro tower to run stuff that doesn't run on any newer OS (smoothly anyway). And a slightly older Linux box running a file storage/backup/media server duty. Also, one more laptop for the kids homework, and another desktop for the wife's work. So for the household, six, but only four that I use myself.

ljcook ljcook said:

2 Home servers (multi-media and backups)

1 Apache web server (development)

5 desktops

4 laptops

3 tablets

and probably enough spare parts to put together two or three more.

Maybe time for some spring cleaning soon...

Two. A Phenom II 965 tower gaming/general media center rig and an old Celeron 1.8GHz laptop which I basically bring with me everyday for on-the-go Photoshop work.

I own three 15 inch laptops all bought new from within the past three years. My

Staff
Shawn Knight Shawn Knight said:

I've got my main work system, a test system, bedroom PC and a laptop.

Never really thought of this! I have my main tower, a smaller one that I rarely use downstairs. A touch PC, a Mac Air, and an "Entertainment" laptop, along with a Netbook. Have a Motorola XOOM. Does that one count? :) And I have three or four in the garage, but I don't have them fired up anymore.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Working computers I have 5.

edit: I forgot one, I have 6

Afroaggie said:

5 Desktops (1 of them has been converted to a server), 1 laptop, 1 tablet. All of which have their own purpose and I use at least 4 of them a day.

SeiveD said:

Let me think.. mmm... 10.

1) Pentium MMX, 200MHz (Firewall/router)

2) AMD K6-II ~380some MHZ

3) 1GHz HP machine, I've forgotten which kind of processor it has, it also is currently using my PCI Voodoo 3 video card.

4) Athlon XP 2600+ desktop

5) Second Athlon XP 2600+ Desktop

6) Athlon XP 2000+ Server

7) Athlon XP 1800+ machine

8) e-machines with an 850 MHz celeron-D

9) Compaq laptop with a turion 64 and 1GB of ram.

10) And last but not least, my "beastly" desktop. AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, GeForce GT 440, dual widescreen LCDs, yada yada, everything every other nerd here has. And a couple gigs of storage.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I have my main workstation (appropriately named TS-One) running on a Core i7 870. I have a MacBook Pro that is a few years old but still my go-to laptop and a third machine (home server) managing lighting, music and some other stuff.

Embarrassingly, even my wife is sporting a newer laptop than me these days (which I bought for her birthday). Other PCs that I don't use have been given away over the years, most recently a Dell XPS laptop to my dad and Sony 10" ultraportable to my mother in law.

acer laptop: intel core 2 duo 1.6ghz, 2gb ddr2-800 ram, 120gb sata hdd, intel gma x3100 graphics

desktop 1: intel pentium dual core e5400 @2.7ghz stock, ecs g41-tm mobo, 2x2gb ddr2-800 kingston value ram, 1gb nvidia 9500gt graphics, 1tb hitachi sata hdd, 500gb hitcahi sata hdd

desktop 2: intel core i3-530 @2.93 ghz stock, intel dh55tc mobo, 2x2gb ddr3-1600 gskill ram @1333, 1gb ddr3 nvidia 9800gt graphics, 1tb hitachi sata hdd

desktop 3: intel celeron 1.7ghz, ecs p4vmm2 mobo, 512mb ddr1 ram, 320gb pata seagate hdd, 128mb nvidia mx440 graphics

desktop 4: intel pentium 166mhz mmx, asus mobo replaced with red fox mobo, 32mb edo ram, 2.1gb pata hdd (matshita?)

------------------------------------------------------------
---------------

desktop 3: still working since 2003, i recently disassembled.

desktop 4: still working since 1997 and recently became my lampshade stand.

yRaz yRaz said:

I have 6 working machines in my house but only 4 of them are set up. There are 2 laptops 2 towers that aren't set up but still work well, a Mac Mini that I found in the garbage, and my lovely desktop, my pride and joy(even though I know it's not the greatest).

Phenom 2 X3 720 be @ 3.9ghz

750GB seagate

150GB WD Raptor

And a basic DVDRW drive

Order of CPU's I've owned is:

K6-2

Via motherboard with integrated 800mhz CPU

Athlon XP, don't remember the model

754 Sempron 2800+

AM2 Athlon X2 4200+

AM2 Athlon X2 BE (5000+?)

And my Current 720 BE

Those are only my desktops, I haven't the faintest clue what the laptops or the mac mini have, just that they're intel.

1 main 2600K @4.5 + 16gb + Radeon 7970 + 120 vertex 2 max iops

1 laptop (wife) msi gx740

1 laptop old dell core 2 1.8ghz (mine) <- almost never use

1 media center core 2 e8400 (also my nas)

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Two computers in my possession, I've built (and given away) a few others for relatives.

Main Rig: i7-2600K, 8GB, GTS450 (waiting for GTX 660)

Second Rig: Q9400, 4GB, 7600GT

I only need one so I'm contemplating finding a new home for the second rig.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

1x desktop - main use.

1x laptop - not really used much after finishing university. Sometimes use for android hacking, sometimes with HDMI to TV.

1x semi-disassembled server - old dell P4 3.0GHz. Used at one stage as a file server at uni.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Currently three computers and one laptop.

Sniper: i7-960, 12GB ram, 5870 xfire, Raid SSD

Server: i7-920, 6GB ram, 8800GT, 9TB HDD Space

SG05: E8400, 4GB, 6850, SSD + 750GB

Laptop is nothing special, old AMD Turion...

All used almost daily.

I have:

- 1 x AMD K6-2 desktop

- 1 x AMD Athlon64 3000+ desktop

- 1 x AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-56 laptop

- 1 x Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 laptop

- 1 x Intel Core i7-2720 laptop

Tgard said:

2 desktops - 1 purely for a media center and 2 laptops all in use and we still have to take turns sometimes. (4 games systems including old and new Xbox's in use too.)

I have a Core 2 Quad Q9450 I am debating on rebuilding. 2 months ago, my nice modular Antec 850 PS just blew out and took my motherboard ports and 3 hard drives and a DVD writer with it. Mysteriously my 8GB ddr2, CPU, Video card and SB Audigy card all survived. Can't seem to find a decent motherboard replacement for it with 4 ram slots. Don't know how much to invest in these older parts. Decisions, decisions.

Tgard

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Three, with one of those due for diassembly

Main: i7 950...Gigabyte X58-UD4P...3 x 2 Crucial RAM...2 x GTX 580...Corsair 800D...~1TB worth of HDD's...Swiftech Apogee GTZ/TFC X-Changer/D5/Bitspower water...Corsair 1kw

Secondary (to be parted out): Q9400...Gigabyte P45-UD4P...4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2...2 x HD 5850(going to X58 rig)...Tt Armor+....Sunbeamtech CCF...Corsair 750.

Building now (mainly because the parts were sitting around): 2600K...P8Z68-V Pro/G3...16GB Corsair DDR3...2 x GTX 580...XSPC RayStorm/D5T/Phobya G-Changer/Bitspower water. TBD: Chassis ( BitFenix Shinobi XL or NZXT Switch 810 likely), PSU (Antec HCP-1200 likely).

Also got a used and abused (but still kicking) Intel 865PE (with the mighty WinXP) as well- but that tends to be used for AGP graphics card problem troubleshooting.

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have 1 laptop, and 5 desktops altogether(1 gaming, 1 office, 1 graphics workstation, 2 HTPCs). I also have 1 old media file server that I store all my movies and music on.

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

One desktop (Q8400 based with 4GB RAM HD 5770, 500 WD/200GB Barracuda, DVDRW) + one notebook (DV6 6011 TX with 8GB of RAM, 6770M 1GB, SB QM2630 + 640GB + DVDRW).

I haven't updated my desktop in a while, because I am using notebook most of the time, so in the last couple of cycles I simply got myself a new notebook

acerace acerace said:

I have 2 working desktops.

1st PC: Gaming and everyday use.

Intel Pentium E5700, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Radeon HD 4670 etc.

2nd PC: Everyday use only.

Intel Pentium E2180, 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel G41 chipset graphic.

I own two computers: a desktop that I use for pretty much everything, and a laptop (ASUS Eee) that I use for university works and to carry around when needed (pretty much every day hehe).

However, at home I also have one desktop for my father and my brother's laptop (however, I don't own these two).

fida1989 said:

1: P4 Custom Desktop

2: C2D Dell Laptop

I have 5 computers, 1 laptop and 1 x-box.

3 of them are used as Windows Mediacenter

laptop and the other 2 as normal desktop

3 desktops, 2 laptops, newwest desktop for gaming.

avoidz avoidz said:

An excuse for ****-swinging... I have 10 powerful desktop computers, a raft of laptops, and a handful of smart phones and tablets.

i have 2 asus laptop, 3 dell d620, 1 dell inspiron 4100, and one old dell d510 i believe. plus a few server and xp VMs :)

Good Questoin:

P4-530J Linux Kubuntu PC for those linux needs

Ipod Touch for bathroom surfing

Iphone 4

P4-530 Dell - Run Great but no current use

P4-Celeron - Runs Great but no current use

HP-P3 - Windows 98 - Have given away twice

I think that is all the technology but I may have forgotten some....

PC nerd PC nerd said:

SE440BX J4J1 motherboard

PATA Hard drives totalling 56GB

8GM ATi 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X

Windows XP

^Utter beast man!

mailpup mailpup said:

Some of you aren't reading the article. You may omit smartphones and tablets.

Nima304 said:

I have a gaming computer I built around 3 months ago, a laptop I bought in 2009, and four servers I got a couple years ago.

spikester48661 spikester48661 said:

2-HP latops ,1.dell laptop and two home maked desktops pc. and 2 smartphones

I have 4 of them

1. A core i5 760, intel dp55SB, Sapphire radeon 6850, 8GB corsair XMS3 1600Mhz, corsair vx550, cooler master cm690, benq g2420 HD, 500GB HDD, 64GB Kingston SSD.

2. lenovo Z570 core i5 2430m, 8gb ram, 750GB HDD.

3. Pentium IV 1.9GHZ, 512MB ram, 40 GB HDD (10 years old).

4. Pentium II, 32mb ram, rest i forgot, used to be 13 when i bought it and was purchased for the price of all three above. Still it is working condition n i occasionally use it.

Now i am planning for an ivy bridge for 2012.

I have 5 working PC's. One laptop and 4 Desktops. One for the TV, one for general surfing, one for gaming and one for general data storage.

I use a sata dock in the gaming PC so I can switch between Win 7 and XP. And I switch between installs that just run single player games with the network disabled (with no AV or firewall) and installs for network games ie anything Steam or multiplayer. I also have one install for when I do online banking, buying off the net, etc.

Talan said:

I have about 10 now, more before but sold some, have one from 1998, a Pentium II, a never used Sony Viao that runs XP flawlessly with 333 MHz chip & 294 of ram, am thinking of Win 7 Starter on it...really belongs in a museum or a collectors collection

I've got 2, a desktop and a netbook. the desktop is a q6600 with radion xt1900 ~ $500 - im thinking of upgrading. The netbook is a silvania < $300 with a 320 gig seagate momentus HD. Who needs cd roms anyway? I've owned 40 - 50 computers before that starting with an apple 2 c I still have.

Don't spend alot it will all be worthless someday!

i have 4 p4 1.6ghz running these mainly setting as severs also have a amd labtop from hp from 2004 running amd 2800+cpu and new labtop amd E-450, i just upgrade the cpu on my gaming computer to am3 1100t overclocked to 3.9ghz. first computer i ever got was back in 1992 yes it was a christmas gift for the whole family remember telling my dad for weeks that we needed one it was packerbell one with 486dx cpu upgraded to intel 83mh overdrive had 2gb hard drive 4mb video card and dos i had a ton of dos games and windows games i still have all dos disk from dos 3.0 - 6.22. this thing would not die was able install windows 2000 as last os that would run on it not sure how i thing we had 32mb ram on it and upgraded video card of 16mb anyone remember isa and that stuff and long hours of fighting with uninstalling and reinstalling windows in the early morning hours and fighting with dailup connection how did we make it's out the 90's alive

ElShotte ElShotte said:

1st PC: Commodore 64

2nd PC: Pentium 100 Mhz, 8 Mb RAM, 1 Gb HD

3rd ....: iMac 450Mhz, 8Mb ATI Rage 128 Video Card, 10 Gb HD, 64 Mb RAM

First computer I've ever disassembled, upgraded HD to 80 Gb and RAM to 192 Mb.

Countless custom builds over the years, currently have 2:

Dell Latitude E5500 - 15" Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM, Intel HD.

Dell XPS 420 - Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM, GTX 260, etc.

Soon as my financial situation gets a little better I plan on retiring the desktop to Media/Server duty and building myself a new one.

Technochicken Technochicken, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Currently I have three completely functional computers, all of which I use on a daily basis:

My windows desktop, a 2006 iMac, and an eeePC 904HA.

I also have four more computers in various states of disrepair but with working hardware - most of them just need a HDD and OS to be functional.

matrix86 matrix86 said:

I got one of everything, lol. Smartphone, tablet, netbook, laptop, and desktop (which is currently in storage).