No Xbox 720 or PS4 this year, Sony will likely be the last to market

By on January 31, 2012, 7:00 AM

With Nintendo's next-generation console slated for launch later this year, the rumor mill is producing all sorts of "leaked" info about upcoming consoles by Microsoft and Sony. Although expectations are high for official unveilings in 2012, neither company will ship its new product in the coming months.

Cedrick Delmas, marketing director of Microsoft France, said it's still too early to tell whether a new Xbox will appear at E3, but there's no chance of one hitting shelves this year. "We're in an industry that talks a lot, that likes telling stories. I am not convinced that things will happen this year," Delmas said.

"The Xbox 360's cycle is not over at all. The proof is that we haven't price cut this year," he continued, adding that if Microsoft wanted to counter Nintendo, it would have to ship a console immediately and that simply isn't possible. Sony offered a similar, albeit vaguer reply when asked about its plans for E3.

"It's true that there are many rumors, but I couldn't tell you anything. The Wii is pressed for time because it's in decline...we're under a lot less pressure. We were the last to release the PS3, and we'll probably be the last to announce something," said PlayStation France CEO Philippe Cardone (translated).

If you subscribe to the grapevine, the Xbox 720 will feature an AMD 6000 series-based GPU with 2GB of VRAM -- possibly similar to the Radeon HD 6670 -- with support for DirectX 11, 3D and 1080p output. There's also talk of a hexa-core processor. Relatively few rumored details are available for the PS4.

Nintendo's Wii U is expected during the holidays and carries an IBM-based 45nm multi-core processor alongside a custom Radeon HD GPU with support for 1080p-out. The new controller stands as the most notable change, featuring a 6.2-inch 854x480 touchscreen along with standard buttons.

Lurker101 said:

After the bitterly disappointing experience I've had being a PS3 owner, I can safely say I won't be shelling out for a PS4. Sony can feel free to be as vague as they want about their next console, because I have no interest in it.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

If the Xbox 720 is fully backwards compatible then I will shell out for one, If not, i probably won't for a few years after its release and get it cheaper (and most probably more reliable model).

Emexrulsier said:

burty117 said:

Exactly my thoughts I have a fair few xbox360 titles and many xbox live purchased items and wouldn't want to see this ditched to the grave just cause a new console is out.

R3DP3NGUIN R3DP3NGUIN said:

i hope the rumored specs of the new xbox is fake, otherwise PC gaming will still be miles ahead graphically and technologically. Still atleast console ports should finally have (High-end PC spec level) graphics to a point,

I wouldn't hold my breath about full backwards compatibility. Just look at what a wonderful job they did with games from the original XBOX being played on the 360. Many of them have glitches and a lot of those glitches are things like the game freezing.

Let's hope MS does better this time around.

sowens3000 said:

this is going to be the best xbox720 oh yea

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You would have though Sony has learnt it's lessons from releasing the PS3 way after the Wii and 360...

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Why is Sony always late? Don't they see it hurts them? They were late with the PS3, with Blu-Ray players and discs and now they saying possibly over a year in advance that they gonna be late again. Way to act pro-actively, Sony.

Woah, you mad bro?

Wanna know why xbox is more popular (and it obviously is)?

-party chat

-personal info doesnt get stolen and service doesnt go down for months

-the console is just flat out cheaper

-more exclusives

PS3 isn't anywhere close to a bad console, but im not buying one. Party chat does it for me.

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Xbox and Xbox 360 had different graphics card manufacturers (Nvidia then ATI) so they had to create patches for backwards compatibility. Both the 360 and 720 will have ATI so it could be alot less hassle.

There are a couple of reasons it is in Microsofts interest to make sure backwards compatibility works out of the box, namely all the owners who have shelled out for all the old DLC will see all the negatives if they can't use their old games and old DLC and maybe not buy the console until it drops in price.

Also all the new-to-xbox early adopters will see a massive back catalogue of games they can play, DLC they can download, games etc etc. Imagine a really good console that launches with more than 6 titles available for it - and some of those being completely awesome. Especially if it can be used as a set top box with all the latest video on demand apps and some form of increase in viewing quality for older games. Gears of War 1/2/3 at 1080p with improved graphics processing etc. Its all good. Really hope they keep the backwards compatibility in - it guarentees me buying one of these at launch for the premium.

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

I hope the PS4 has only a Sony Memory Stick Duo for storage, just like my PSP. Rawk!

To all the console kiddies: have fun waiting another year+ for 5 yr old tech while I upgrade my PC and play games the way they're meant to be played.

I have a PS3 and 360 which both collect dust. Played Uncharted 3 which was the only console game I've touched in 6 months and I can't lie... it is a great game, but the PC is still the king(no duke nukem).

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

burty117 said:

For me, its not just the games but that would need to include down to the controller level too. I have Rockband, Guitar Hero, DJ Hero stuff that I don't want to replace all these controllers with a new system.

RH00D RH00D said:

9Nails said:

burty117 said:

To both of you, that's the way it is on a console, they intentionally design them to shamelessly suck as much money of out people. If you want software and hardware backwards compatibility then just get a PC. I still play games from 1998 and 2000 on my PC that was built with parts made in 2010/2011 with an operating system from 2009.

Whoa whoa whoa, I agreed with everything you said until "-more exclusives" That's totally incorrect. The PS3 has

LittleBigPlanet

Uncharted

InFAMOUS

Ratchet and Clank

Resistance

The Last of Us

Metal Gear Solid 4

Gran Turismo

Modnation Racers

Motorstorm

Sly Cooper

God of War

Killzone

Most of those are franchises with more than one title.

The 360 has:

Halo

Gears of War

Forza Motorsport

Kinect games (not that anyone cares)

But it does have cross-game chat! The PS4 will definitely have that as well.

AmpFeare said:

R3DP3NGUIN said:

haha i know right? they can make amazing laptops for gaming purposes which have a lot less room to work with inside for parts and shit. yet the consoles sony and microsoft make are penty big to put some top of the line hardware inside. id also like to add that microsoft needs to include internet explorer in the xbox 720 its pretty lame not having a web browser on your console. pc will always be on top so w/e

lol how u forget god of war

Richy2k9 said:

hello ...

I don't see any problem, except time ... to own each & every platform out there, so any haters gotta hate. i'm just playing my games ....

it's too early for any next gen, they need to wait i finish playing my 200+ games in less than 1 year before releasing 1 & i know others have 1000+ ... so no for new console, maybe next year OK :P

cheers!

Im not gona buy the xbox if i cant even play used games on it. No one should buy it, actually, so that they dont keep trying to pull **** like that. IF that rumor turns out to be true

Wanna know why xbox is more popular (and it obviously is)? Because it was built cheaper

-party chat - ok

-personal info doesnt get stolen and service doesnt go down for months - hackers and not sony...

-the console is just flat out cheaper - yeah with no HDMI shitty HDD and YLD

-more exclusives - Nope

Both PS3 and Xbox are now similar prices but the xbox doesnt have blue-ray.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Consoles have lost a lot of their glory for me. I do like my ps3 but is see's a lot less use than my computer. I used to use it for a media center stream video's from by computer, but it has such a lacking of supported formats and trying to transcode 1080p mkv file on the fly is a bit hard on my poor computer. So I built an HTPC.

Most of the games I want to play make it to the computer eventually (especially xbox titles), and the biggest reason I bought a ps3 was looking forward to good JRPG releases (like Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, & Shadow Hearts) but I have seen a large lacking of these - everything going to shooters & sub-par American RPG's with very few exceptions - none of the ones I want to play being ps3 exclusive. The JRPG's PS3 releases I have found just really are not holding my attention. (WTF happen to the FF series! New ones are terrible )

And then some of the games lock their data to one PS3, so all the time I spent at a friend house working on Boarderlands & Bayonetta before I got a TV that I could play a PS3 on effectively is wasted .

So I really don't find myself excited for the next gen on consoles. PS2 & PS3 I followed every scrap of news and counted down to launch day :P.

Next gen console need ONE controller designed for play well all type of the games.

I am really excited for all the new consoles but I'm not a very hardcore gamer. :P

I'm probably going to buy ONE of these consoles. Most likely the Wiiu. I really hope the Wiiu will be able to play DS and 3DS games but it's not a very good chance that's gonna happen. If it does end up playing Wii games than I will probably just sell my DSi(Since I have my 3DS which is better) and old Wii(Because of the Wiiu), but I will try to check all of them out before i buy one.

People need to face the facts. Microsoft will suck all of your money out for a system that is lets face it. Half assed. I find it amazing no one mention the fail rates of ps3 and God forbid 360. I know people who switch counsels when they got the red ring of death for the 3rd time and others that switched when psn was down for months. But who copied who here. ps move and the kinect both copied the wii. The wii had horrible graphics compared to the other two but it sold like crazy and still does. I had a wii for 2 years before my daughter broke it by putting in 3 discs. Also the wii was easy to soft mod. when my drive was destroyed i could play all my backups. when my wii bricked i could use prii loader to restore it. Playstation was to high priced but that was because it had the best graphics and still does out of the 3.

Im not even going to touch the the computer issue because computers are what you make them. I made a hard core computer last year and it is clearly better than my wii was or my 360 or ps3. yea i bought them all. but i did not pay full and was not the ***** that stood in line on launch day. heres my prediction. Nintendo will use the wii u to get ahead of the game just like last time and the time before. Not sure if the game cube came out first or not but it was definitely cheaper. Microsoft will come out with another pos that everyone will rave about but it will break quickly. Play station will be the last but graphically they will be the best. their system will again be over priced but great none the less. Microsoft will continue to charge and make people pay for the video streaming that play station does for free. As for who will be the best i do not know nor do i really care. I just want to know what this generation looks like to see if i should even bother to participate. As for my personal opinion on which of the current systems is the best i would say for me it is ps3. it doesn't break easily it can used for more than either 360 or wii can and it has better graphics.

I still have my ps3 and if i get rid of either of my systems i will likely drop the 360 because microsoft is a bunch of cheap bastards that just want your money in order to give you a half assed piece of **** that will break within a year or so. If i buy either system it will most likely be a wii u first and then a ps4. until then i will stick with my ps3 and computer.

.....not to mention the cost to play games online every year on the internet you already pay for.

Well PC players you go a head and waist money on your PC,

while we console gamers chill with a cool console and not worry about hac.kers online..

Plus PC needs alot of whole damm updates 10 times then a console...for a game online.......

PC has alot of errors..example people with BF3 couldn't play it even though their PC were up to date..

Consoles are build for gaming... when they come out new they bit the hell out of PC...6 years later they still work hell of good while PC needs to update to be able to work with game updates