HP TouchPad running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich

By on February 15, 2012, 12:30 PM

The HP TouchPad may have left the factory running webOS, but that hasn't stopped developers from shoe-horning Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich onto it. The Cyanogen Mod team has been hard at work getting a version of Android 4.0 working on the TouchPad, and, for the most part, they have been successful.

Though important things like the camera, microphone, and hardware-accelerated video are not yet working (read: no Netflix or HD video playback for now), most everything else is. If you use your tablet to read, browse the web, and handle email as I do, then Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich CM9 Alpha 6 certainly works well for that.

Performance is quite impressive, even better than many of the official Android 3.x Honeycomb tablets that I have used. Apps open swiftly and panning around the homescreens has virtually no lag. Installing CM9 on the TouchPad might not be for the faint of heart, but if you have installed a custom ROM on an Android smartphone in the past, its certainly something that you can probably handle.

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android OS. CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community (and reportedly even Google employees).

LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

I was just watching this on youtube. I'm currently learning about custom roms. Pretty cool process as far as customizing your table and phone.

Nice video and amazing speed....something I will definitely look to do when it becomes fully usable.

Lionvibez said:

This looks great as soon as less broken build is available I will give it a shot.

AtK SpAdE AtK SpAdE, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

This is exactly why I bought a touchpad!

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Great job to the devs. They are only held back because there are no android drivers available for the device, so nothign to modify.

Rooted mine from CM7 to CM9 a couple of weeks ago.

it is very very functional and have had no issues at all. I would put it up against any Android tablet. Still running 0.5 instead of 0.6 just because the day after i rooted it, 0.6 came out and just didn't want to do it all over again.

I love it. Do it if you haven't. it's very easy.

It is amazing what these devs have done. I can easily flash my device over and over again if I want to change it. You have to give props to them. The big boys cannot develop software that is so user friendly but a bunch of developers all over the world did just that.

Leeky Leeky said:

AtK SpAdE said:

This is exactly why I bought a touchpad!

It was exactly why I wanted one!

here is the full explanation of how to install it http://blog.logyourcode.com/?p=91

My HP Touchpad has the most recent Android OS (alpha 2) and is still not able to show video with Netflix. I tried downloading Netflix ver. 1.4.1 and 1.4.0 as I had read that one of these versions should work, nether one would load after installation. I called Netflix and they told me to call HP for support as the Touchpad is not on their list of supported devices, I replied that I had voided my HP warranties by installing Android and could not expect any support, they acted as if they could care less. Any suggestions? Thanks, Dan

NETFLIX of CM9 Alpha2 working just do it all over again

mine is working

I'm beginning to explore the best android ios for HP TouchPad that I can use to install. Been hearing about the camera/mic that won't work. I've wondered if any latest android ios software is now available that camera/mic will work?

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

It was exactly why I wanted one!

I know man, same here. But then again, I probably don't need another electronic device.

I got a 32gig touchpad last october. instantly bailed on web OS, and installed cm9. started with unnoficial nightly updates. now its july and this tablet rules. I spent under 200 bucks and now can view hd youtube vids, the mic works, I installed beats audio package and its easily better then a ipad. I can watch flash videos in dolphin HD, I can torrent files. best of all it didnt cost 600 bucks or have a gay apple logo on it. (I wood grained the back). I love this thing, and I made it all happen myself. watching a buggy version of something you want develope into a sturdy piece of gear is great. now with android 4.1 headed our way the pad will only get better. oh yeah, Jelly Bean has more fluid animation then ICS but thats not the only thing. the audio drivers are vastly improved so latency will go down in the future. if youd rich and ignorant then by all meansbuy an ipad, if you know how to actually use computers then wait for an android tablet. its cheaper and actually runs various things faster. like flash vids....... take that apple.....sure html5 is the future.....but what about watching videos now on a idevice now?