Android 5.0 Jelly Bean coming Q2 2012, dual-boot alongside Windows 8?

By on February 16, 2012, 1:00 PM

The Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich honeymoon could be over before it even started. The latest from the Google rumor mill suggests that Android 5.0 Jelly Bean could arrive as early as the second quarter of 2012, a move that many will see as premature given the fact that ICS has only reached 1 percent of Android devices thus far as of February 1, 2012.

According to Taiwan-based supply chain makers as reported by DigiTimes, ICS has fallen short of Google’s initial expectations. With Microsoft planning to launch Windows 8 in the third quarter, Google may want to release Jelly Bean to tablet, notebook and netbook makers sooner rather than later in an apparent push to have the OS dual-boot alongside Windows 8.

It’s unclear whether or not this would work, however. As SlashGear notes, Windows 8 hardware requirements prevent a second OS installation on ARM-based PCs by users via a locked Secure Book system. No word yet on whether or not OEMs would be able to do so before the devices leave the factory.

Android 5.0 is said to be further optimized for tablets which could allow the user to switch between two operating systems without having to power cycle the device. But because ICS hasn’t done as well as expected, many of Google’s downstream partners are said to be taking a conservative approach with 5.0 Jelly Bean.




User Comments: 18

Got something to say? Post a comment
veLa veLa said:

I just don't understand why the Galaxy S2 and Doid Razr still haven't gotten ICS.

Guest said:

Yea, it explains why ICS isn't doing well. Its not even available for the best selling phones.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Woa! (pun intended) This has to be the craziest rumor I've heard this year. Lets see what happens; MWC is the place where all of these companies will hopefully spill the beans (another pun, booyah!).

captainawesome captainawesome said:

I wanna know where you guys get your pics/icons/logos from. Some of them are brilliant. Like this Jelly Bean Droid one

stewi0001 stewi0001 said:

captainawesome said:

I wanna know where you guys get your pics/icons/logos from. Some of them are brilliant. Like this Jelly Bean Droid one

I'd imagine Google search or they Photoshop it themselves or even a mix of the two.

MilwaukeeMike said:

' a move that many will see as premature given the fact that ICS has only reached 1 percent of Android devices thus far as of February 1, 2012.'

Well, as soon as Apple is done with them, ICS will be as rare as a fat kid in gymnastics. I can see why it hasn't been loaded onto more phones.

Sarcasm aside... is ICS optimized for netbooks? they may just be consolidating to an OS that spans both touchscreen and mouse/keyboard interfaces.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

It only reached 1% because companies like HTC promising the update to existing phones still haven't rolled it out. I'm not saying its easy, but I'm sure we're all tired of delays.

Panda218 Panda218 said:

It's like everyone expects an OTA the day Google releases the source code.

princeton princeton said:

Panda218 said:

It's like everyone expects an OTA the day Google releases the source code.

It's been months buddy. Don't try and pass it off as a tiny delay.

treetops treetops said:

heres a crazy idea put quad cores in phones...?

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

treetops said:

heres a crazy idea put quad cores in phones...?

It's happening with the next-gen phones, actually. :P

Panda218 Panda218 said:

princeton said:

Panda218 said:

It's like everyone expects an OTA the day Google releases the source code.

It's been months buddy. Don't try and pass it off as a tiny delay.

Oh I know it isn't a tiny delay, but I knew samsungs track record for updating their systems when I bought my device. So I guess I just look at it differently. As far as I see My phone runs great on gingerbread so I don't need the update ASAP, but it would be nice. In the end I think the OEMs are just destroying the build with a bloated UI just to have more flare. When will Google put an end to them?

gamoniac said:

Android 5 already? This is exactly the reason my next phone will be WP8 (heck, even an iOS). Google seem to do overAndroid every 8 months - an indication of bad software design. Come up with a good design that is extensible, and I will buy it. For the same reason, Android will unlikely to gain corporate support, and why carriers are struggling to update the myriad of fragmented Android ecosystem.

tipstir tipstir, TS Ambassador, said:

Google Android don't fix the issues they just keep on building on top of the same Android OS 1.0, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2.2, 2.3.7, 3.2.1, 4.0.3 and now 5.0 due out. What's next 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0. This is not good practice in development. Let's fix the issues that seems not to be fixed yet. I build on 2.3.3 for COBY Kyros for ROM MOD and now also for Skytex Skypad2 with 2.3.4. Even today we have many on 1.6 still I have made udpate ROM for that OS too still going strong.

dedparrot said:

sarcasm said:

It only reached 1% because companies like HTC promising the update to existing phones still haven't rolled it out. I'm not saying its easy, but I'm sure we're all tired of delays.

it's the carriers which take ages, not OEMs

waterproof said:

veLa said:

I just don't understand why the Galaxy S2 and Doid Razr still haven't gotten ICS.

It's because they're slow to roll out the updates. ICS is ready for majority of phones, its just the manufacturers are delaying this.

Jibberish18 said:

dedparrot said:

sarcasm said:

It only reached 1% because companies like HTC promising the update to existing phones still haven't rolled it out. I'm not saying its easy, but I'm sure we're all tired of delays.

it's the carriers which take ages, not OEMs

Lots of things you can blame on ICS not being ready for todays phone. This has been Android's game since day one. Let's see. Multiple Carriers x Multiple OEM's x Multiple Phones x Multiple Hardware Configurations x Multiple Radios x....you get the point. At this rate anyone will be lucky to get ICS by Q2 of 2012. There are still phones that don't have 2.3 for heavens sake. Shame too because ICS is the first truly delicious looking version of Android to date. It brings about so many things Android needed.

Leeky Leeky said:

Google Android don't fix the issues they just keep on building on top of the same Android OS 1.0, 1.5, 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2.2, 2.3.7, 3.2.1, 4.0.3 and now 5.0 due out. What's next 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, 9.0, 10.0. This is not good practice in development. Let's fix the issues that seems not to be fixed yet. I build on 2.3.3 for COBY Kyros for ROM MOD and now also for Skytex Skypad2 with 2.3.4. Even today we have many on 1.6 still I have made udpate ROM for that OS too still going strong.

Totally agree.

I love Android, but the experience is nowhere as polished on the majority of devices as it is for the WP7, or iOS.

Google needs to stop with the regular releases and push carriers to upgrade existing devices first. The Android community is so fragmented now its unreal.

I think they should cut out the carrier UI crap, and just force them to run vanilla installs. It would speed the whole process right up. While it might compliment some phones, dependant on the hardware and Android release it sometimes destroys them too.

Some are totally pointless as well. For example, I don't bloody need "social hub" on my SGS2, when I get an email it notifies me in the bar, I don't need a second app telling me I have an email that then loads the program I can just bypass by heading to the top bar and selecting it.

Same goes for text messages. I just open the folder, again, I don't need the Social Hub for that.

Android going to really wane off in the next couple of years unless the experience can be consistent among the various smartphones on the market.

This is where WP7 and iOS and eventually Windows 8 are going to win over people, they far more consistent in the way they "display" their mobile OS' across their various product portfolio.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.