RIAA: ISPs to implement anti-piracy measures by July 12

By on March 15, 2012, 3:00 PM

Internet service providers are set to launch a new anti-piracy scheme this summer designed to alert and eventually punish suspected copyright infringers. The new policy was unveiled last year when top ISPs including Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon announced their participation in a "graduated response" program to deal with illegal file sharing, bowing to pressure from the RIAA and MPAA with help from the U.S. government.

In a panel discussion in front of some of the biggest U.S. publishers yesterday, the head of the RIAA Cary Sherman announced that the policies will come into effect July 12th.

Under the program ISPs will be required to monitor their users' online activities for illegal file sharing. Those caught downloading copyrighted materials would receive a series of escalating warnings, starting with one or two "educational notices" informing users that what they're doing is illegal and asking them to stop.

If these warnings are ignored a new tier of notices kicks in where the customer is required to acknowledge receipt of the warnings and sign a "pledge" to stop pirating. Finally, those who are caught yet again can expect to receive an alert informing them that a "Mitigation Measure" has been applied to their account.

The program is reminescent of France's three-strike system, although it's not quite as harsh. France's HADOPI law requires ISPs to give alleged infringers two warnings before being disconnected and/or fined. In contrast, U.S. ISPs will issue more warnings before implementing a mitigation measure, which only includes things like throttling of upload or download speeds, or altering your landing page to "remind you" not to pirate.

There's no uniform system for ISPs to use in order to catch downloaders. Instead, each of them will have to develop their own and establish a database to keep track of repeat infringers. The number of warnings at each level is also up to the ISPs, as is the specific nature of the so-called mitigation measure. So far no participating ISP has agreed to cut off a customer’s internet service permanently.

Although the measure feels less draconian than initiatives like PIPA/SOPA, it's hardly an ideal solution considering it relies on IP addresses as proof of guilt and the fact that the courts aren't even involved.

Money can obviously buy anything. It is absolutely absurd that they are now determined to undermine the human rights of its population. Makes me embarrassed to be part of the human race.

This sis absolutely ridiculous and absurd; surely you are joking Mr. Feyman.

RIAA is complete sh!t. A bunch of inhumane and greedy me gustas; do they even have a heart beat?

Maybe it is about time Shepard came and went medieval on their rumps.

Loved the ending of Mass Effect 3 by the way! I thought it was beautiful!

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sounds fair.

As long as you send Warnings and after X strikes you're busted then I think that is a fair deal.

*cough* VPN + Peerblock

Someone will take this to court. IP Address evidence has been disallowed in court cases prior to this. If all they have is an IP address, they may have a very hard time standing on legal grounds. An open WiFi hot spot may be the source of such downloading without the subscriber even knowing it.

*cough* VPN + Peerblock ;)

While an ISP will not be able to see the content using a VPN, all the ISP will be looking for is a high traffic volume. If their traffic thresholds are exceeded, customers will be assumed guilty of illegal downloading. There is no way to keep the ISP from discovering which subscribers have a high traffic volume.

Its no wonder the ISPs agreed to this since most of them want caps on traffic volume; this gives the ISPs an "excuse" to apply those caps.

RzmmDX said:

So, would i have to pay my isps more for them to develop this new system which in no way benefits me?

IvanAwfulitch IvanAwfulitch said:

I'm not ignorant enough to suggest that my habits aren't being viewed already, but giving ISPs license to implement a punishment system as well as lawful ability to invade my privacy so openly is ridiculous.

What if you're an artist who chooses to upload a torrent file of your own music to promote sales? There are innumerable artists who have chosen to do just that. How does this help them? Clearly it's another case of more for the haves and less for the have-nots. It's not even about piracy, and it never was.

Net neutrality is in tatters. The tyranny of the rich is flaunted again, and the indifference of the masses allows it to flourish, as always. The public will protest, but their lack of action will welcome this new legislation with open arms.

Artix, it isn't about if you think their punishment system is fair or not. It's about letting them implement it in the first place. And the RIAA shouldn't be allowed to do so. It doesn't matter if you think you can circumvent it. You give them power by allowing the law to pass, and you're giving up more and more of your personal liberties in the process.

JayT1803 said:

Yea, and how are they going to find out if a person is illegally file sharing?? By simply discriminating against people who use a lot of bandwidth?

Assuming this 'scheme' actually works out for them, you would still get away with file sharing through public wifi, i.e. at McDonalds or a coffee shop, would you not?

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

"program ISPs will be required to monitor their users' online activities"

Serious invasion of privacy.

Time to get into the VPN business.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Vpn service and using peerblock so go ahead monitor my downloading and good luck, been at it for years. Have to me smarter than the man is all.

good thing i installed backtrack a few days ago, now to crack my neighbor's wifi to get those damn rednecks busted. maybe that'll stop em from making tracks in my lawn :/

I guess they want me to downgrade my plan from the expensive 250GB package to the simple 25GB package. Oh well, their loss.

Tygerstrike said:

OMG you ppl act as if you have any rights on the internet. You have the same expectation of privacy on the internet as you have on a cellphone. NONE! You have to go through an ISP or in the case of a cellphone a provider. They have been snooping your info for years. The only right you have is to annonimity to the general web browsing public. You had to register your name and address as well as any information they require with a ISP.

Think on this......Eventually all that lovely information you have registerd with the ISp will come back on you. Its called being BlackBalled. SO they determine you are a offender to their new policy. They then start blocking you from having your own internet provider. Eventually some of the smarter sheep will try and get a family member or freind to setup the web for them. And in the usual fashion, they will ruin that family members or freinds ability to get internet.

Gars Gars said:

i dont understand for what is the fight

we all need:

better speed

better content

if im wrong - sorry

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

artix said:

Sounds fair.

*cough* VPN + Peerblock

That is in terms of the strikes / warnings.

ikesmasher said:

someone better damn take this to court.

I mean, seriously. First they are trying to take away religious freedom (requiring catholics to serve contraceptives to employees) and this is the next in numerous attempts to invade privacy. So many basic american rights being violated.

Blah, VPN and Peerblock are the way I do it. They can't monitor for bandwidth usage because that would discriminate against my legit services that I also use, Like, Hulu, Itunes, Netflix, YouTube, Etc... I use much more bandwidth from those services than I do on my pirating. Besides, Torrents, Usenet, IRC, etc... aren't only used for illegal sharing, there are legit purposes, So you can't really even monitor for protocol, ISP would need to monitor for traffic itself, Otherwise I imagine they would be putting themselves in a liability situation for discrimination (Like that ever stopped them).

PinothyJ said:

Man, ISPs in your country are DICKS.

I feel for you...

well , glad they send thew names of the isps, so time to change to another one !

Zeromus said:

Welp better pirate as much you can.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Well, torrent traffic are used for allot of legitimate purposes, like for example in World Of Warcraft to deliver the patches.

So if ISP's really want to do this it comes down to watching exactly what traffic flows, for each customer.

The cost of doing that must be tremendous.

It's one thing to switch a few packets of data with routers and then complain when X ammount of data have been transferred (We don't have bandwidth caps here but that's what I refer to)

But to actually analyze every single packet, for every single customer.

And then compare that to a list of known illegal distribution schemes, my god just getting my head around the complexities of doing this makes my head hurt!

And exactly what do the ISP's get in return?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Just a quick count, but with my blazing fast 1 meg DSL, I'd have to be downloading 24/7 to hit maybe 125 GB a month. With normal usage, would I even be a blip on the radar....?

It seems like you guys with the high bandwidth will beat me, hands down, in the race to get into trouble....

I wish I had the courage to take to the streets and protest against this corrupt regime.

Tomorrow_Rains said:

me my girlfriend my brother mom and dad, watch netflix on a different TV in the house. Everyday. Surely, Comcast will notify me...And surely i will pursue it legally.

This will be an affront to freedom of privacy/speech just as surely as if they had monitored my phone calls.

A court must surely strike this as illegal.

this news. will just make people think "better do it now while we still can"

you think legit games made ps & ps2 popular?

i bought these two consoles years ago because i know the games

were going to be very cheap.

then when i discovered r4, i bought the DS lite for my kids.

i heard about chick-hen, i bought psp-3000.

somebody do something about vita please. thanks.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Apparently the RIAA make far to much money to the point where they can dictate what files I download.

Suppose I won't buy any music or movies for a while until they realize that value sells better than pressure.

Tygerstrike said:

Sorry guys I hate to burst your bubble but its their game. They make the rules. You can and will complain but it wont do any good. Im sure they have some way to spot which ppl are actually pirating vs. ppl who are super users. Its their sandbox, if you want to get online you have to go through them. Oh another thing to think about.

What if your one of those tech savvy ppl and you do all your pirating off your phone....Think they will ban ppl from getting cellphones with internet as well??

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

ikesmasher said:

someone better damn take this to court.

Catholics having to pay for something they don't like is not an invasion of religious freedom. Christians are just not getting their way for once so they cry foul. The lack of separation of church and state in the US in appalling and does not represent true religious freedom at all. A better question would be why are tax dollars from gay citizens going to support Churches that oppress them for no VALID reason?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

The incidence of M/M pedophilia in the Catholic Church gives one pause to wonder why they oppress gays at all.

I always find it entertaining to the individuals who are preaching, "birth control through abstinence", have "given their love to God", but more importantly, are most often are well past the age of reproductive viability. Then there's the whole priest / altar boy thing being an evolutionary dead end. Point being, if nobody else volunteers to serve in the Roman Catholic Church, it will die out on its own.

All of that notwithstanding, everybody seems to have invited the internet into their home so they could have a, "window to the world", but now they're mad because the RIAA is going to "close the drapes" from the outside, so to speak.

Well, having a window to the world, is not necessarily an invitation to plunder it.

The same thing I said about the church, could attach itself to the RIAA. Just stop buying and stealing music, and it will die out.

So mostly, you bring this on yourselves by having to be the first to walk in to the latest 3D movie, have the latest music, and the latest video games. (Games and music should be free, of course ).

"He who has no addictions has nothing to fear, and no master". Get over yourselves!

Tygerstrike said:

@Capt

You are a wise person but you might as well give up. You are preaching Honesty and Virtue. Two things your standard pirate has none of. Every single argument you can raise on why NOT to steal will get 50 justifications why they feel they should. The main one about it being illegal and immoral is quickly brushed aside. There is no personal accountability. There is no personal Honor. Till there are punishments metted out to the general public ppl wont stop pirating. To them its a "victimless" crime. In fact most piraters will all pretty much say the same thing. Hey its out there and they aint charging so im downloading it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

@Capt

Having been a member since 2006, I understand this all too well. The problem resides in the fact I like to hear myself talk at least as much as they do.

At least with my approach, the opposing viewpoint has to justify itself, rather than sitting back with the smug assumption of correctness.

Well that, and you need to take time off from pirating music to type a reply....

well i don't see this helping much i download a lot i also have an expensive cable package netflix and lovefilm so they are getting plenty of money off me how much do they really want for such a limited selection of mostly repeats and old films which i have watched god knows how many times already.

most torrent clients have the option to limit bandwidth to a desired amount so maybe will have to slow it down a little or if all else fails back to old school buying copied DVDs and cloning/buying hard drives.

maybe this will stop the spam and bad traffic as in another article on techspot saying only 49% is human traffic...

bottom line improve the quality/price/delivery of tv/films/music and everyone will win.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

There are only a dozen or so plots in all of English literature. There a couple of ways of looking at this; we've done a great deal with what we have, or "B" or we're not as bright as we think we are, and we just keep repeating ourselves.

Much in the same way the children look like their parents, this generation of stories have all been told before.

But you know what, every generation wants that same happy ending, so it's hard to fault the story telling industry for giving it to us.

Anyways, ya gotta admit, at least the FX are way better.

And remember, when DVDs are outlawed, only outlaws will have DVDs.

ikesmasher said:

captaincranky said:

Except that the assumption that more than 3% of catholic priests are pedofiles is completely wrong, most likely much less than that.

treetops treetops said:

My old ISp transcend broadband warns u twice then permanently disables your account. By warn I mean they turn off your internet or throttle it down to below dial up speeds until you call them and say what the hell? They don't even look at what your downloading, if you use a bittorrent type download they hit you with stick. It could be some of the free content offered online or even the wow patcher.

isp Your connecting to to many peers!

me how many can i connect to?

isp we dont have a set limit

me is 2 ok?

isp yes you can connect to 2 people

me how about 10?

isp i dont think 10 whould alert us

me um ok what about 50 would that alert you?

isp it depends on what time of day, we do not have a set number do not use any type of bittorrent connection (multiple peer to peer?)

me ok (thinks dbag ok 50 at night 25 during the day)

Spoiler alert

This is going to cost the isp money so they might counter lobby!

p.s. I think stealing is wrong but i dont feel bad for a few reasons, one they over charge the crap out of us, two its like when i was a kid and would record songs off the radio on my cassette tape, three i am not costing them anymore labor or resources, four most importantly cause i wanna lol. A cd in the 90s took like 5 cents to make and they sold em for around 10-20$. If I had a star track replicator and I made a snickers bar from some ingredients I bought at the store I sure wouldn't feel bad about not giving the snickers company any money.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

In this day and age, notoriety is all that counts. Does Kim Kardshian really have a nicer a** than so many other women you might find walking down the street. Probably not. So, pedophile priests have achieved the notoriety they have sought to avoid, regardless of their roll call numbers. With that said, what do you make of the other 97% that covered this up?

A pattern of unnatural interest in children seems to be emerging in those that choose to counsel or coach them.

All churches, regardless of religious affiliation or ethnicity, sell an illusion of human value, unparalleled in even the world or women's cosmetics. To paraphrase, go to church, pray, give lots of money, "because you're worth it". I keep repeating myself about this; human hubris begins at, "and on the seventh day, God created man in his own image". Spare me.

As to pedophilia, historically, men and boys have been involved in sexual trysts since the Spartan Army, and probably long before, it just never sold any newspapers until now.

And as much as I like my "democratic freedoms", and am "against communism", I still think the USSR had the right approach to religion, and that was to ban it.

As far as entering the priesthood is concerned, that's one of those glass half, glass full half empty paradigms. You're either, "called to a higher purpose" (glass half full), or you can't deal with living in the real world. And I'm a glass half empty kind of guy!

Now what was it that this thread was about?

i have time warner and i pay for a good speed download and upload. but its the major uploading i've notice that they'll purposely shut off my inet. like i could be doing legal uploading but its uploading none-the-less that they shut it down for a good 30 minutes. I've recently "downgraded" and i'm getting the same speed as before for half the cost.... like why?

this whole piracy thing.. is strictly isp companies trying to jump in on some saving gimmick due to the areas they provide in.. something like "lets not advance to quickly" vibe

these isp companies can quadruple their available bandwidth easily in most cities... its f'n fiber optics that are used most of the time....

ramonsterns said:

This will do **** all. Most people use the internet at home for high bandwidth use, you take that away and you start losing customers, on top of rising costs due to all the monitoring.

I wish the RIAA would just off themselves sometimes.

DADEO1 said:

ikesmasher said:

someone better damn take this to court.

First of all your only half right. I agree somebody better take this to court. But nobodys taking any of your religious freedoms away. Unless there's a catholic who works for a healthcare insurance company, no catholics are required to serve contraceptives. Catholic women do quite well on their own with their contraceptives.All your basic rights are still inplace, you just need to quit listening to those who tell you otherwise.

DADEO1 said:

ikesmasher said:

captaincranky said:

Good points and pretty well put in words. You might sway some minds. Thank you.

So users that actually use the bandwidth they are paying for instead of just browsing the web will be blamed as well?

Tygerstrike said:

@Treetops

See thats the problem. You just sat there and justified your stealing. There is a huge difference between downloading a song from the radio and downloading off the net. First and foremost is the fact that radio is FREE to the public. The internet is not. You have to pay to use it.

Second falls back on your argument about cost. Yes it cost the avaerage CD company around .50cents to print a single CD. However the cost wasnt in the printing of a single CD. It was in the Gold Master copy. That took quite a bit more cash. Yes they charge what they will. Its called Captialism. What you basically said is "They make enough money, I dont so I can steal it".

The whole idea about Capitalism falls apart when you think like that. ME ME ME! Your lackluster attempt at justifying theft only goes to show how shallow and selfish you really are. So you cant afford it. Save your cash and go BUY it. If you dont believe in Capitalism then get the hell out. Go live in Russia or some other place that doesnt give you the options Capitalism gives.

There are ways to protect your internet privacy. You can prevent ISP's from spying on your traffic by using an encrypted tunnel such as hushtunnel.com.

Most proxies available are SSL based and as such are prone to trusted man in the middle attacks. Hush Tunnel uses SSH and is the easiest way to protect your online privacy, encrypting and anonymizing your internet traffic with a single click.

When "300" came out, I watched it online 7 times. I later paid to watch it at the movies because I wanted to enjoy the graphics. When it came out on blu-ray, I bought it (on eBay -- rather pay $10-$20 than $25-30). I burn Netflix dvds that are "okay" or merely enjoyable, but buy blu-ray versions of the movies I rent and thoroughly enjoy. He||, I burned "The Social Network" and still bought the dvd at one of Blockbuster's closing sales. I still buy cds of favorite artists, but download albums of people I wouldn't lose any sleep over.

Point being, when you have a good product or service, people are going to pay for it or at least be more inclined to do so. You can't stop piracy like you can't stop hacking, but they should find a way to use it to their advantage. Rap artists release many free mixtapes between albums. By the time their album drops, there's great anticipation and such a solid foundation that fans actually want to support the artist by paying for the product.

And you have to wonder: With the world in its "cloud" phase today, what difference is there in enjoying something online versus owning a[n] [in]tangible copy of it? Is Grooveshark wrong for offering people an online version of iTunes? Is it wrong to DVR movies on premium channels rather than paying for the dvd? Should Audible not allow users to download the paid copies of their audiobooks for fear that they'll pass them on to others for free (or profit)? If nothing else, at least piracy generates exposure for a product to audiences that otherwise couldn't afford, or wouldn't even care to experience it.

Sound like the days of the BBS might be coming back.

The government and industry are becoming as the fascist of the 1930's turning everyone into the eyes and ears of the state and seeing everyone as suspects. I do not say these things as some right-wing government is always evil person but as a liberal. When government and industry team up together and become antithetical to the will of the people we have lost our freedom and democracy. We are as a nation heading down a dark road of heavy regulation, heavy penalties, limited freedom and both Democrats and Republicans are to blame and industry is just as guilty if not more so. Anyone who tries to pin this trend on one party or one President is being dishonest we have been on this path for going on 40 years. Somewhere around the 1970's we began to loose our way and began to see freedom diminish. This new decision will basically allow ISP's to do the work of large industry and law enforcement without the need for a warrant. The fourth amendment will effectively be thrown out the window and the first amendment soon will follow. Who needs the RIAA and FBI when the ISPs does their dirty work for them. State sanctioned warrant-less surveillance and censorship is already here America and it will only continue until we the people stand up and say enough!

Klipspringer said:

There is an effort going on to where virtually the whole gaming market, for one, is going the way of STEAM.... you know, the outfit that sells games, the outfit that alot of game making companies are going to, to peddle their wares and MAINLY they like Steam's methodology of preventing piracy. Sometime in the not too far off future you won't be able to purchase a game, for instance, (this will probably come to encompass all software in one respect or another. I am Big on games, for the PC mainly as I've yet to validate the spending of so many bucks on an XBox or PS3 or whatever when I have a very capable PC. Anyway, we're ALL going to become a society of entertainment renters !!! Yes Folks !!!! Here's how my first experience with STEAM went.... I purchased a Game (Left 4 Dead 2). and then:

#1. It required a Steam membership and Steam software in order to be able to play the game that I had purchased with my own money.

#2. Virtually, I had no problem, so to speak with the game itself, BUT, if there was a problem with Steam, meaning their end of the internet, I couldn't play the game. I thought this was kinda hosed up, having to wait on something run by somebody else to play the game I bought.

#3. This only has happened to me just a couple times is all, but there are more than just a couple ways this or similar things may occur on the Inet over at Steam, like being told this wasn't my game, (in so many words), or a number or whatever didn't match......

#4. OR, there were just Internet problems (Period)....

#5. But here was the clincher, I had played my game out..... I killed every damn thing I could and I was done with the game !!! SO, to make a long story longer, I wanted to give the game to my son, no way 'Jose !!!! STEAM Said is just couldn't be done cause now my game was associated with my personal account via Steam and they don't mix & match... so, once you buy a game with which you have to have Steam. You've got it baby !!!! Even when I becomes a bright, shiny coaster in a fancy box !!!

Now remember, this is what various people in the Software industry, mainly the gaming moguls right now I guess, want to become the norm. You BUY the game and at someone elses behest you will be allowed to play it. And THEN, you can't even give it away...... The dude I talked to at Steam told me, when I asked what was a plausible way to handle this.... He said... "Just buy another one for your son !!!!!!!"

Klipspringer said:

Tygerstrike...........

You know what, I don't agree with Piracy but then again I don't agree at all with folks that tell other people to get the hell out of the country because their ideas on U.S. Society don't match up. Like "Love it or Leave it" Makes Me Wanna PUKE !!!! Nationalism has been responsible for more deaths than freaking Hitler ! Nothing wrong with Capitalism..... either......... but unfortunately, our much vaunted Capitalist Society is as corrupted as a 6th day corpse in mid July in a Maryland apartment.... Now I apologize to all you folks for getting way off subject, but in my moment here, I figured if some folks can exchange canister rounds over religion, I could load up on something too !!!!