Weekend tech reading: Start button isn't coming back to Windows 8

By on April 1, 2012, 3:59 PM

Nomura on Windows 8: "Microsoft will not be adding back the Start Button" Microsoft will not be adding back the Start button in Windows 8, but will likely include a tutorial to help desktop/laptop PC users get used to the new OS. That's according to investment banking firm Nomura, which hosted meetings this week for investors with Tami Reller, the head of marketing and CFO of the Windows and Windows Live Division at Microsoft. At the meeting, Reller appears to have addressed concerns that Windows 8...can be confusing to use for those on a desktop or laptop. The Seattle Times

The death of the Apple tax The old adage says there are only two certainties in this world: death and taxes. Steve Jobs proved that not even the Reality Distortion Field is strong enough to resist the reaper. However, the company he spawned and subsequently resurrected seems to be doing away with the tax that came to be associated with its products. This so-called "Apple tax" refers to the price premium that used to be attached to each and every new product to roll out of Cupertino. These days, though, Apple's highest-profile offerings tend to be pretty competitive on price. The Tech Report

On Kickstarter, there are no guarantees Crowd funding service Kickstarter has been good to games in recent months. $3,336,371 went towards Double Fine's new adventure game, far above the $400,000 asking price. There's $1,600,465 and counting for inXile Entertainment to produce Wasteland 2, exceeding the original $900,000. Philadelphia-based Cipher Prime wants $60,000 to help fund the creation of Auditorium 2: Duet, a multiplayer sequel to its well-liked music game. $60,000 is roughly half, maybe a little less, than the project’s total budget. GiantBomb

Google heightens rivalry with iPad Google Inc., undaunted by a short-lived attempt to market and sell smartphones on its own, is now trying the approach with tablet computers in a quest to capture market share from Apple Inc.'s iPad. The Internet search company will sell co-branded tablets directly to consumers through an online store like rivals Apple and Amazon.com Inc., according to people familiar with the matter. The move is an effort to turn around sluggish sales of tablet computers powered by Google's Android software. The WSJ

House votes down stopping employers asking for Facebook passwords House Republicans today defeated an amendment introduced yesterday that would have banned employers demanding access to Facebook accounts. While the practice isn’t widespread, it has caused a big brouhaha after reports surfaced that some organizations were requiring workers to hand over Facebook passwords as a condition of keeping their current job or getting hired for a new one. ZDNet (also: Teacher’s aide fired for refusing to hand over Facebook password)

Adobe releases last Linux version of Flash Player Adobe has released Flash Player version 11.2 with many new features. This is last and final Flash Player release for Linux platform and now onward there will be only security and bug fix updates. Last month Adobe announced that it is withdrawing Flash Player support for Linux platform. All the future newer Flash releases will be bundled with Google Chrome using its Pepper API and for everything else, 11.2 will be the last release. Ubuntu Vibes

The next PlayStation is calledOrbis, sources say. Here are the details. While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor. For one, the console's name -- or at least its codename/working title -- is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season. Kotaku

Pinterest: We're "actively working" to fight spam; it's a “tremendous priority” Ask Facebook. Ask Twitter. Ask Google+. Ask just about any social network, but especially one that’s become big enough for the U.S. president to join: Building an audience and attracting media attention are great, but they also mean that trouble is on the way -- trouble in the form of spam. Marketing Land

How the PC industry killed the ultrabook The personal computer industry backed a promising candidate in the ultrabook concept, convincing even a skeptic like myself that a new class of superslim, superlight laptops was the key to exciting consumers. Ultrabooks were well on their way to becoming the PC form factor of the future. CNET

World War 3.0 When the Internet was created, decades ago, one thing was inevitable: the war today over how (or whether) to control it, and who should have that power. Battle lines have been drawn between repressive regimes and Western democracies, corporations and customers, hackers and law enforcement. Vanity Fair

We need a private mode for the whole Internet We're on a march to share more: More content, more services, more details, more frequently. A few things I've shared this year that I did not share a year ago: when I read people's text messages, my real-time location, what I am listening to at any given moment. BuzzFeed

Intel's Haswell to push the desktop PC CPU packaging frontiers Got used to the simple packaging migration from LGA1156 to LGA1155? Intel's next generation - Haswell - is widely expected to up the ante in the PC CPU packaging excellence, and offer a spread of choices. VR-Zone

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I also heard that Windows 7 is the last Windows catered to Desktop market, in future Windows versions everything is focused for touch screen devices with metro UI :3

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Guess that's the end of Microsoft in the PC market...

Will_m said:

Really don't understand the issue with not having the start button, it still works the same way, just hit the windows key and type in your program or service. What else do people even use it for?

then microsoft will die..

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I don't even know where to begin my list of things I dislike about Windows 8. I'm still pissed that M$ took away support for Win 7 gadgets...

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

April Fools guys?

ikesmasher said:

ever notice that whenever the US government makes a choice, its the wrong one?

Not saying we needed a whole constitutional amendment for facebook, but we need one for internet privacy standards.

Aren't they supposed to be REPRESENTING US?

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I couldn't imagine my start button disappearing, It would be like losing an arm or something with how much i use it.

And i ain't going to be very impressed if the first thing i have to do with my premium priced brand new OS is start going through tedious tutorials. Win 7 = Win...and it looks like that won't be changing for a while for me.

dualkelly said:

its about time microsoft dies they have single handedly held back software development by almost a decade now. many people may not realize it but much of even winblows 7 is still win 3.1 framework much of the core has and never will be updated by ms.

psycros psycros said:

dualkelly said:

The first sentence I'm starting to really agree with. The second is completely wrong. Maybe you meant "Windows 95"...?

Tygerstrike said:

MS needs fresh blood. Perhaps we need to sacrifice some nerds on the altar of Bill Gates. Heaven knows we have sacrificed enough cash for Windows in all of its versions. When Windows came out it completly changed how a computer could be used. <shudder DOS 3.1-3.3> But we are quickly comming up on the 20 year mark for Windows, and I think its time MS either does better or gets out of the way and lets someone else develope a better OS.

psycros psycros said:

ikesmasher said:

ever notice that whenever the US government makes a choice, its the wrong one?

Aren't they supposed to be REPRESENTING US?

If the US government gets involved in internet privacy standards, you can bet it only has one goal in mind - giving them more control over what you can do online and more info about your online activities. Obama, the intelligence community and more than a few senators have repeatedly expressed their desires to have complete control over the 'net. Their spending billions constructing massive data sniffing facilities in several obscure locations all over the country..facilities for spying on American citizens, NOT foreign terrorists or aggressive dicatorships. As to your rhetorical question about our "representative" government, it hasn't been anything of the kind for over a century. The governments of America and all of the NATO countries are firmly under the control of the Federal Reserve and an international banking cartel, who together with the UN have been working towards a global socialist monarchy for decades. They've made so secret of it - well, not until recently when their schemes started getting too much exposure. Now their desperately trying to deny the irrefutable evidence that's piled up since the founding of the Federal Reserve. No, we don't have a representative government and our elections are dog and pony shows: its entertainment to make us think we have a choice. Romney losing to Obama has been planned for over a year now according to most insiders. Obama and all the rest of the puppets in Washington care about one thing: being as high on the food chain as possible when the dust settles. All of them would gladly throw you under a bus to get a bigger slice of the globalist pie.

dualkelly said:

well both... for example tcp/ip stack while not in 3.1 but 95 is still unchanged today. also when you boot windows it still boots up from DOS and loads up services on top of dos. its what 30 years from dos. this list is endless though my friends over in the msfn forums have updated win 98 with almost win 7 functionality simply because most of the core services are unchanged.

tonylukac said:

Microsoft needs to start writing drivers, and have a division that just does that, perhaps for a cost. My brother just bought an hp laptop that doesn't function as a computer; its wireless ralink driver doesn't get internet with any type of wireless security. It cost little, but he can't return it because he'd have to pay a $45 restocking fee. Got him a free wireless n usb dongle (had a coupon) and it works.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

The start button may not be coming back, and it's probably a big mistake if they don't offer the option of enabling it back or smooth out the transition of Metro and the normal desktop. Either way, there's always Stardock Start 8 which is free on its current version:

[link]

I'm sticking to Windows 7 then.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Seemed inevitable. Stardock might get some positive feedback if everything goes wel

I think I'll stick with Vista.

Chazz said:

Does no one else push the windows key?

Wendig0 Wendig0, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Whether Stardock made a start button or not, the Metrosexual ui still looks like a giant smartphone, and I don't have any plans on purchasing Win 8. If I am going to learn a new OS, it will be OS X Mountain Lion.

just stick with whatever os u got and microsoft will get the hint.

KG363 KG363 said:

Doing anything in Win8 takes AT LEAST one more click than in win7

psycros psycros said:

chazz said:

Does no one else push the windows key?

and they thought Vista crashed and burned.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

Didn't Windows 7 have record sales? Windows 8 will have record non-sales.

If anyone needed some more proof that people are scared of change, here we are. Heck, it seems that some people are pissing themselves because of Metro... :P

Anyways, for the people who think this OS will bomb, maybe on desktops/laptops (I personally doubt that). But on tablets, it seems perfect.

So no, this won't be the end of Windows or MS.

spectrenad said:

ppl cry for change and innovation, but when someone goes ahead try something new, everyone blame him... just download the addon if you want your start button back, its simple and free...

Zen Zen, TechSpot Paladin, said:

We may not be ankle deep yet with so called "change" and "innovation", but the flood is coming. Like it or not "everything changes"! I've been doing this since Windows 95, I've seen changes that people approved of and disapproved of with every Operating System that Microsoft has pumped out. Change is just a fact of life, some might not like it, some may welcome it, but change is going to happen one way or the other.

Granted I'm an "old school" person when it comes to computing, even I have from time to time have had difficulty with changes. I can't name them all, but I've had my gripes with every Operating System that was released, I just kind of had to either "roll with it" or "learn how it works and change it myself"! I hate to admit it here folks, like it or not, the era of the P.C. is almost over. Now they got tablets and pads that can almost do everything that once upon a time was only exclusive to a personal computer. They got smart phones right now that do more computing than say Windows 95 and Windows 98 and maybe Windows M.E. put together. The hardware is getting smaller, the technology is getting smarter, and soon I'm afraid the need to host an Operating System on something that is big, bulky, not easily transportable, sometimes hard to work on, the cost to run, those things alone will soon exempt the need for a P.C. and will usher in the mega need for iPads, Tablets, touch computers, it's going to happen!

To be honest, I've tried to keep a open mind when it comes to just realizing that change is a foot. I've done research, looked up stuff and talked to others about the current and up coming changes in the world of computers, most agree, the days of the big computer are slowly coming to a close. So if the P.C. either by choice or by circumstance is being "phased out", than their is nothing anyone of us can do about it!

So Windows is leaning now towards touch styled computers and tablets and pads, the "start button" now will be a thing of the past, probably to never return, I don't like it, but I will have but no choice to learn how to deal with it. This will hurt me a little, for I am only Microsoft Certified with all of the Windows 2000 platforms, I've lived inside the "comfort zone" of the Windows 2000 platform, the Windows XP platform and the Windows Vista platform, this whole new approach in regards to Operating Systems will force my hand to either just stick with what I know and only service computers with older Operating Systems on them, or I will be forced to have to go back to college and either add onto my degree and or take certification courses and hope and pray I pass the tests. But if I choose to only service computers with older Operating Systems on them, this eventually will mark the end of my own computer business. For the older Operating Systems will slowly fall off to the way side and will be replaced with the current cutting edge systems, if I don't learn the new stuff, eventually I will have to close my doors and I will be forced to join the regular work force and no longer be my own business owner, company C.E.O. and daily C.O.O.

Again, I'm not to happy with the changes, even while trying to be open minded to it all. This could impact me in ways that will be more important than simply complaining about a stupid "start button"!

*Zen shuts up now, rant is over*

yukka, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Hey, I installed Internet Explorer 4 on Windows 95 and allowed it to integrate with the explorer shell and crash the shit out of my PC. Crazy times.

Metro isn't for desktops. MS will ship it with the start button.

raybk said:

No "Start" button?

No problem, I will use an "End" button, to stop upgrading Windows!

"Start button isn't coming back to Windows 8", in a related story "Users not migrating to Windows 8 and are staying on previous versions or migrating to other OS's".

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So no, this won't be the end of Windows or MS.

They could of simply had two versions. Have 1 version on 1 disc and another on the other. Have it purchase as a whole thing and you can either install one or the other.

Why you may ask? Well its waste of space for those who want W8 but not the metro UI :3

Metro UI does seem great for the tablet/mobile market but not for the desktop.

viperfl said:

Microsoft didn't want to create 2 OS versions. They wanted to go the 1 size fits all approach. Going that approach don't always work to well. What may work for smartphones and tablets, my not work for PC's. I tried out W8 and particularly didn't like it. They should give the customer options instead of saying, "This is the way it's going to be, deal with it." Forcing change is not always a good thing. We already seen some of Microsoft's bad apples. No reason why a customer needs to get help from a 3rd party to put back the Start Button when Microsoft should of given the customer the option of keeping it.

I don't mind change but give people options first. Let people work into that change. There was no dire need to remove the Start Button.

treetops treetops said:

I don't understand why they give people a excuse to try another os. People will think no start button hmm maybe I should try a mac for my next computer.

to clarify people are used to the regular windows but its going to change so much they can hardly recognize it, why not try something new since it will be just as hard to learn as the new windows? long time customers of pc's like myself have always wanted to try a mac anyways, this is just a nudge in that direction

I have WIN 8 on a laptop (I'm still debating about trying it on my EP121 tablet).

I'm getting used to METRO (not thrilled with it). I'm a semi-retired Computer professional and have worked on VMS, UNIX, LINUX, and WINDOWS, so my opinions are from a technology junkie.

I showed WIN 8 to my wife. She is a retired teacher and has used Windows forever. She is a user, and used Office, a program for creating graphic content for Church services and the normal Email and Web surfing.

She is not a techie. Her reaction was "What do I do with this?".

After forcing her to try it, and getting her past the Metro UI, she asked "where is the liitle round thing that shows my programs?"

After trying things for a couple of hours, her comment was "I can't use this."

Uvindu said:

treetops said:

p.s. as the person above said it will ship with a start button I bet this is some kind of publicity stunt to try and get me to tell people "hey did you hear the new windows 8 isnt gonna have a start button??"

Ok, Was this supposed to be like a sarcastic comment? Try a Mac coz of no start button?!

As someone above said, people want innovation and change but when they give you that you start resisting change and threaten to hinder the company sales...

About the start button, I thought this site woulld be filled with tech enthusiasts, who I would have believed were people who, among other things, used keyboard shortcuts extensively to speed up their work. If you do use keyboard shortcuts then the start button should work more or less like it did in Win7 in order to launch apps. Its not like their gonna physically remove the start button from the physical keyboard. It'll still be there...

And another impression I got from reading these comments was that not many have actually tried out the developer or consumer preview. I tried it out and it was fine for me. Granted some things were new, but it would be pointless if they rebuilt windows 7 and called it windows 8. It may be different, but it i not so drastically different that It'll make me want to give up windows for ever...

For those people thinking its going to be bad based on what other people are saying and what u are seeing on pictures, why don't you go, download it and try it your self. Its free and it shud clear up alot of things. Just put it in a virtual machine or dual boot it and try it out. It's not that bad...

Lionvibez said:

Uvindu said:

treetops said:

o I used both The DP and CP version of win8.

Any everything they are posting is true METRO sucks balls!

I will not use in on a desktop pc ever. I will try windows 8 if and only if I can modify it and hack the crap out of it and disable metro and load a normal start button. As many of said i'm not going to relearn an OS to do simple things. A task that takes 3 clicks in windows 7 is now 8 clicks in Windows 8. When I use windows I don't need to take a hit in my productivity, because Microsoft decides they want to play catch up with Apple I personally don't give a damn. And I will totally just stick to windows 7 until they get their heads out of their asses.

Xothos said:

The no start button isn't a biggie. It's two main things: 1. The metro ui interface to the desktop sucks, and 2. It takes longer (more clicks) to do the same task in Windows 7. That's what gets me. I work for a company that switched from a simple program to Microsoft Dynamics A/X. To print in the old program, 2 clicks. In DAX, 7 clicks. It sucks. Microsoft appears to be going the way of the tedious. Not for me. I'll stick with Windows 7, thank you very much.

I'm all for "newness", but not having at least the "option" to place the start button back in for (eg) my Mom's computer means that I'll be the one doing support, not Microsoft. No thanks Microsoft.

Stupidest decision ever.