Ashton Kutcher to portray Steve Jobs in upcoming indie film

By on April 2, 2012, 11:30 AM

Ashton Kutcher will portray Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in an upcoming film titled “Jobs.” The movie will begin filming in May during a break from Kutcher’s role in “Two and a Half Men” following Charlie Sheen’s public departure last year.

Variety is reporting that the film will chronicle Jobs’ life from his teenage years through the co-founding of Apple. The flick will be directed by Joshua Michael Stern (“Swing Vote”) based on a script from Matt Whiteley. Mark Hulme from Five Star Institute is providing financial backing for the indie movie.

MTV notes that Kutcher has an established reputation as a romantic comedy actor in films such as “New Year’s Eve” and “What Happens in Vegas,” but has yet to prove that he can carry a lead dramatic role outside of the 2004 film “The Butterfly Effect” and 2006’s “Bobby.”

Jobs died on October 5, 2011, just one day after newly-appointed CEO Tim Cook unveiled the iPhone 4S. Less than three weeks later, Walter Isaacson published the biography “Steve Jobs” based on more than 40 interviews he conducted with the Apple co-founder.

While there’s no doubt that many will question the selection of Kutcher as Jobs, it’s hard to deny the fact that the former bears a striking resemblance to a young hippie-era Jobs. Of course, this isn’t the only film we know about based on the former CEO’s life. Sony Pictures is working on their own movie based on Isaacson’s best-selling biography.

A movie... really? Sad thing is apple fanboys are going to lap it up like crazy, wouldn't be surprised if tickets cost more because Apple stick their logo on them.

The Pirates of Silicon Valley is still the best movie.

Are you serious?

Well I just lost my breakfast

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

Couldn't they at least try to find an actor than can act?

Staff
Jos Jos said:

I was hoping this was an April Fools' joke when the news surfaced last night

I don't think it looks like Steven Jobs.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Not a fan of Kutcher...although he was pretty good in The Butterfly Effect.

yRaz yRaz said:

it's hard to deny the fact that the former bears a striking resemblance to a young hippie-era Jobs.

You mean they both look like douchebags?

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

More proof that Hollywood has run out of ideas. I also thought this was an April Fool's joke when I saw it. :p

Lurker101 said:

Is it wrong just how much this made me laugh?

MilwaukeeMike said:

TomSEA said:

More proof that Hollywood has run out of ideas.

I don't know... historical movies based on facts are regular topics. What I wonder is if they'll be honest. Since he's dead I expect them to paint him as a hero and a wonderful person. WIRED magazine had a large section devoted to him after he passed and made him sound like a guy who'd be a perfect father and gentleman. Pretty different from all the stories over the last 15-20 years.

Your proof that they're running out of ideas can be found in the talk about remaking the Tom Clancy movies starring Jack Ryan. Hunt for Red October and the like....

Who is john galt ? Was steve jobs !!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I'd much rather they make a "Pirates of Silicon Valley 2".

I contemplated which of the two I could care less about and determined I don't give a rats patooty about either of them equally.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The Pirates of Silicon Valley is still the best movie.

Agreed. Wasn't it a TBS movie? Surprised it didn't make the big screen.

Couldn't they at least try to find an actor than can act?

Not a fan of Kutcher...although he was pretty good in The Butterfly Effect.

He was good in Butterfly Effect. I'm sure he can act, he just gets mostly stupid roles. Just like Jim Carrey can act too once you get him away from his stupid antics; see Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind.

DanUK DanUK said:

I can deffo see the resemblance haha

What a horrible horrible prospect.

avoidz avoidz said:

To Apple worshippers, this movie is like the story of Jesus.

Not surprised, this reflects the average Apple product user perfectly.

daweimon said:

What's up with all the Apple hate on this website? There's far more "Apple-hater" fanboyism than there are Apple fanboys. You can't deny Steve Jobs was an amazing man. Grow up.

Chris Hedges is an amazing man, Noam Chomsky is an amazing man, Herman Melville was an amazing man

Steve Jobs was a self-interested manipulator with the moral backbone of a cockroach

so yeah, maybe we can call him an amazing man: it's amazing that anyone's sorry he died

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

There's far more "Apple-hater" fanboyism than there are Apple fanboys

Hardly surprising, this is a TECH site, not Jezebel or Hipsterrunoff

Steve Jobs was an amazing man

...and like ex-Mr Moore, a triumph of style over substance. I doubt you'd be able to find a bigger self promoter to play a self-promoter. +1 to the casting agency.

I have a block of cheese - can they make a film about that instead ?

The cheese does have historical significance unlike Watermelon or Apple or whatever.

:-p

Hollywood was going to make a Pirates of Silicon Valley 2... but Jonny Depp said no.

TechM633 said:

This will be like the only movie in history where the viewers wont mind paying $300 for special i-tickets to go sit in i-chairs and watch an i-movie. lol. They could really make a mint off this movie if they play their cards right. This will be directed towards an audience that is already dumb enough to willingly hand over outrageous amounts of money for something they really dont understand or need. I bet they make a fortune off this movie. Not because of vast crowds going to see it, but rather smaller groups consisting of RICH die-hard fans.

treetops treetops said:

I bet they leave out chinese slave ipad factories.

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

It's a biopic of Jobs -not a remake of THX 1138, so I doubt there will be any Foxconn references.

The directors previous work includes a video fairytale, a political soap-opera, and the writing credits for an unbelieveably bad action movie -The Contractor- which Wesley Snipes probably regrets more than his prison sentence. The writer seems relatively unknown, and the lead actor probably requires an iAct app for his iPhone. I suspect "Jobs" won't be box office gold.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

OMG. so funny. hahahaha

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I bet they leave out chinese slave ipad factories.

I think you were trying to be funny. The movie is his life up until the founding of Apple.