Apple investigating WiFi connectivity issues on the new iPad

By on April 5, 2012, 2:00 PM

An internal AppleCare document obtained by 9to5 Mac reveals that Cupertino is actively investigating WiFi connectivity issues on the new iPad. The memo instructs retail stores and contact centers to accept exchanges should a customer report any unusual behavior when using WiFi.

The document outlines that affected devices should be “captured” – Apple code that means the unit should be packaged immediately along with all included accessories and sent to an Apple engineering center for further investigation.

Shortly after its release, some customers reported wireless connectivity issues on the WiFi-only iPad, including but not limited to intermittent connectivity, slow WiFi speeds and WiFi networks not being recognized. New iPads with cellular connectivity aren’t affected, according to the document.

A thread regarding the issue on Apple’s support forum has over 700 replies as of writing, although not every reply is a complaint about the issue. This isn’t the first concern that has cropped up since the release of the new iPad, however.

Early adopters complained that the new iPad would overheat and shut down when using the device in direct sunlight. Thermal imaging does show that Apple’s latest slate runs roughly 10F warmer than the iPad 2 under normal circumstances. Furthermore, reports surfaced that the iPad drained more power under heavy use than the charging cable was able to supply, a claim that I was able to corroborate in our iPad review.

If you are experiencing WiFi connectivity issues, contact Apple’s customer care via phone or take the device to your local Apple store for further assistance.




User Comments: 11

Got something to say? Post a comment
Guest said:

There is no problem with WiFi, if you are experiencing problem its the way you are holding the ipad, simply do not put your hands on the side because it interfere with the build in antenna ;)

Apple will be offering special casing soon at a discounted price.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Ugh. I know the site admin disagrees with my thoughts that these stories get published here just for hits. But I disagree. They are posted here simply because this is a tech site that is primarily a Windows using site, and thus a lot of the readership dislikes Apple.

Where were these stories?:

Asus Transformer Prime Reboots Randomly

Transformer Prime Decreased Battery Performance

Those updates break root access

[link]

[link]

[link]

I found those in 5 minutes, looking at one iPad competitor. I challenge anyone that wants to bash the iPad 3 to find a competitor without their own issues.

//I do not own, nor do I plan to own any iPads. I'm just displeased at the pure anti apple groupthink that occurs here.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

SNGX1275 said:

Ugh. I know the site admin disagrees with my thoughts that these stories get published here just for hits. But I disagree. They are posted here simply because this is a tech site that is primarily a Windows using site, and thus a lot of the readership dislikes Apple.

Where were these stories?:

Asus Transformer Prime Reboots Randomly

Transformer Prime Decreased Battery Performance

Those updates break root access

[link]

[link]

[link]

I found those in 5 minutes, looking at one iPad competitor. I challenge anyone that wants to bash the iPad 3 to find a competitor without their own issues.

//I do not own, nor do I plan to own any iPads. I'm just displeased at the pure anti apple groupthink that occurs here.

The competition doesn't sell themselves as perfect, apple however tries to...

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The competition doesn't sell themselves as perfect, apple however tries to...

[link]

Guest said:

Hmmmmmm. 3g models are not affected? Let me see. It is because when your wifi is slow or not seen perhaps the device is being a smart *** and gets its data from let me guess 4g and you don't even notice to complain or care.

princeton princeton said:

Guest said:

Hmmmmmm. 3g models are not affected? Let me see. It is because when your wifi is slow or not seen perhaps the device is being a smart *** and gets its data from let me guess 4g and you don't even notice to complain or care.

No it's because the 3G/4G models have the Wifi and cellular radios covered with plastic instead of metal. Much less interference.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

@SNGX1275 Hahaha, that's good. I'm stealing that...

And regretfully I'm serious. I've seen too many people thinking that apple is perfect and infallible (heck, they even try to deny the whatever-gate issue hoping word doesn't get out, and they start believing it themselves)...

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

@SNGX1275 Hahaha, that's good. I'm stealing that...

And regretfully I'm serious. I've seen too many people thinking that apple is perfect and infallible (heck, they even try to deny the whatever-gate issue hoping word doesn't get out, and they start believing it themselves)...

++

I lose count of how many times a MAC user quotes that line on me but they go quiet once you point out half a dozen show stoppers like "wifi broken" or "you need to use console to fix/do that".

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

++

I lose count of how many times a MAC user quotes that line on me but they go quiet once you point out half a dozen show stoppers like "wifi broken" or "you need to use console to fix/do that".

I think you missed the entire point of my posting that 'srs' pic link.

Look at my first post in this thread, I just did exactly what you were saying, except the opposite, I just posted several links showing flaws in a direct competitor to an iPad. I even posted a half dozen... oh...

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

I think you missed the entire point of my posting that 'srs' pic link.

Look at my first post in this thread, I just did exactly what you were saying, except the opposite, I just posted several links showing flaws in a direct competitor to an iPad. I even posted a half dozen... oh...

The competition doesn't make ridiculous marketing claims like Apple does though. E.g. "It just works". They keep repeating it and the sheeple believe. That's the point we are making.

There is competition out there. They have flaws. Apple has flaws. Just want people to open their eyes and not be blinded by Apple's holy aura.

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Why am I not surprised?

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.