Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut to address controversial finale, will be free

By on April 5, 2012, 4:00 PM

The controversy regarding Mass Effect 3's ending may be drawing to a close as Bioware steps up to please disappointed fans. Last month, the company had announced it would address the concerns of fans through a set of "game content initiatives". Bioware has now confirmed those initiatives will arrive in the form of a DLC pack billed as Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut.

The game studio adds that the content pack will be completely free and that it will available this summer. An exact release date has yet to be determined.

ME3:EC promises to give players more insight and additional context into the final days of Commander Shepard's journey. Bioware says it will be expanding upon the existing endings but will not create new or alternate finales, holding firmly to its original artistic vision. Bioware makes it clear that no further DLC is planned for the ending, beyond Extended Cut.

Once again, the game studio stressed that ME3 received unusually superb critical reviews. What they leave out, of course, is the disparity between ratings given by critics and ratings given by players. On Metacritic, the game maintains a player score of 3.8/10 but hits 88% with critics -- even higher for console versions of the game.

Although Bioware continues to stress how well-received ME3 was with critics, which seems like a backhanded way of belittling critical fans (ie. how dare you criticize our nearly perfect game), the game developer deserves a round of applause for taking its customers' input  seriously and listening to their concerns. Kudos, Bioware.

Holyscrap said:

here lies the word "initiatives" , butchered by the author. RIP

:P

m4a4 m4a4 said:

Extending the BS plot-hole ridden ending?

Tell you what Bioware, you get rid of that annoying god-kid and extend it from there, I will respect you more...

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

holyscrap said:

here lies the word "initiatives" , butchered by the author. RIP

:P

Haha! Fixed.

"What they leave out, of course, is the disparity between ratings given by critics and ratings given by players. On Metacritic, the game maintains a player score of 3.8/10 but hits 88% with critics -- even higher for console versions of the game."

EA can pay the critics off, the players, not so much. :)

psycros psycros said:

EA can pay the critics off, the players, not so much.

SO SAY WE ALL.

So..their sticking with the broken ending, eh? Nice knowing you, Bioware..be sure to make that grave your digging for yourself a nice comfortable one.

"holding firmly to its original artistic vision"

Dear Bioware, you're digging your own "artistic" grave. Oh, scratch that, already did...

Way to ruin a wonderful franchise (and STILL) trying to shove that horrible ending down our throats, even after we (fans) complained about all the bs.

if they wanted a game with there "Artisitic" ending. they should never have made a game where players have so much freedom and choice. and tell us we build our Shepards legacy.

*spoilers* for the games but Geth left us alone till reapers got involved. eventualy Geth are peaceful. so an ending where its machines kill all life so machines wont kill all life just ruins years of hard work on Bioware's half and years of dedications from its players. from day one we have been told its our Shepard. then the last 10 minutes our Shepard is taken from us and replaced with one Shepard for all. my eyes the end just contradicts everything and forces players down a chosen path no matter there previous choices. As before if this is Bioware's art they shouldn't have given player freedom of choice. in a way it makes us all part of the art. we each mold it into our own adventure. .. so much more i could say. but this will do for now.

So they're going to add on more suck to what already sucks instead of fixing what sucked. This is the last bioware game I buy. If I wanted a shitty ending I'd have asked my little 5th grader sister to write me one.

It is OK, I guess as gamer....well, me, as an avid gamer, I have learned my lesson.

Buy a game till the price drops...never at the asking price, but when it drops at least to $20.......maybe.....

I will respect the artistic view of a toy.....don't understand the concept in a "game" ....because,.....a video game...is a toy...........

If a "trilogy" comes in any way, I'll wait till see how exactly it evolves...meaning....till the end comes to the market.....I want to see results!

The "your decisions" matter...was a great marketing idea, but too good to be true, at the end, it was an impossible task for the creators....

So.....it is much better not to get so involved......just wait for results.

I like Dragon Age, even the Origins and 2 as a matter of fact, but if DA3 comes ...I'll wait for it to drop the price...or buy it used.....there is no need to buy any game as brand new....

So, my personal lesson, though the hard way, is to be a patient and cheap consumer.

Would I have bought ME3, knowing the end?

Yes....... But I would have waited for the price to come down, or maybe buy it used...

Bioware you suck. I can't understand why you believe ***** critics, most who know nothing about the series, over tried and true fans. I'm never going to buy anything from you or EA ever again, and I'll make sure none of my friends or family do either which won't take much because of how many other times you burned them.

I also find the fact you think you need to explain the ending to us "stupid fans" that didn't like the ending because we supposedly didn't understand it, insulting. I understood your sucky ending all too well, as did many others. There's no redeeming to your blend of "The Matrix", and "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" copy and paste ending. That little glow worm in no way belongs in the series.

I also find offense that ***, Casey Hudson thinks he shits a gold turd. Screw him and screw you all, I'm going to make effigies of all of you, then I'm going to put them in my blender.

Sincerely,

Crazy

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

once again, the big whiny babies of the world get their way.. and it's not going to make a difference.. just watching these you tube.. rants.. disgusts me. I put my life on the line to defend wastes of life like there's douche bags? not hardly.

didnt realize people cared so much about the future of game chars. that a company would be pressured into makeing an expansion to explain.. lol

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Sincerely,

Crazy

:o umad lol

I beg to differ. I thought the game was incredible and the ending was really good. Its whole story can even topple good sci-fi movies. What users gave this game a bad rating really are a bunch of ******.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

[link]

mevans336 mevans336 said:

In other words, "I guess you can't think for yourself. So we'll spell it out for you."

ramonsterns said:

What part of the ending made sense?

Cota Cota said:

ME history sucks =D, nothing more to say and its the rating from the only part that matters, consumers.

QuaZulu QuaZulu said:

LOST all over again! Living in a world where artists can't finish their "painting" is starting to sting...

Tell me one movie where it gets better with each part?

Rocky series for example or Jaws i don't see what everyone was expecting when EA milked the cash cow that is Mass Effect.

daweimon said:

At least it's free, no complaints from me.

why is it hard to add more endings on top of the one they want in the game? it adds more replay value and enjoyment, happy players = more money to the company. i personally think their ending was nice.. assuming that i understood that the hero was indeed indoctrinated. but still even if thats the case, there are still a lot of stupid plot holes towards the end that can be easily spotted (some masterpiece they made! haha). lets see them explain this and that with the EC. :P

To the Guest 'begging to differ', sir/ma'am I think you didn't play the other games exploring every option/just played the 3rd game/or just played to shoot something.

Which part made sense?

---

And as a femshep player, I didn't get to see Tali's face without that effing helmet.

jackal2687 said:

m4a4 said:

Extending the BS plot-hole ridden ending?

Give respect to get it. These people work hard to produce a fully functioning game. 8-20 hour days and nearly 1 year to get it right. Put yourself into their shoes before you expose your disgust for people that work harder than you.

ramonsterns said:

jackal2687 said:

Give respect to get it.

Respect isn't obligatory. I buy a product, I expect what I was promised. Respect is given if the person thinks it's deserved, and what's deserved is relative to different people.

In this case, different people don't think respect is deserved.

Here is another ending to ME 3, which Bioware forgot to fix..... how to fix all their lost gamers (customers) who they lost the last few weeks. I, for one will no longer support their artistic crap or their money hungry pockets. If the ending was their best and brightest idea for an ending, wow..... I'm sure some preschool could have done a story writing contest and it would be more interesting and convincing by gamers (not paid reviewers or ones who probably never finished the game before writing their superb review)than their paid writers at Bioware. Bioware lied from the beginning; 16 endings, answer to all our questions will be answered, etc... prior to the release and now Bioware is attempting to fix their product, which was broken at release and correct all the imperfections. Bioware really developed one MASS Legacy with the release of ME3, the fall of Bioware. Last game I will buy at release and pay full price for and fall into the hype sewage pool.

This game if far from perfect, none the less I loved running the series. Love the art work.

Sorry for those who don't agree, but the 'ending' is superb. And as some have figured out, this story isn't done yet, so let's not despair.

Freedom is in the eye of the beholder. >>>--------ebsbow--->

I don't mean this as an insult to anyone's negative view of the game or how they feel after the ending. But I think the disparity has to do with professionalism. A critical review must be written to certain standards and takes the game as a whole. It should (though they don't always) equally way all areas in which the game delivers, from plot (overall, not just one ten minute cut scene) to acting, gameplay, art direction, music, multiplayer in this case, etc.

A fan/player rating can be "from the gut." If a fan feels hurt/betrayed, they can go and "punish" by leaving a negative review. They have no standard to uphold beyond their own personal ones, and no one is assessing their performance on a professional level. You see this on iTunes games all the time. "This game is awesome, it plays amazing, and it is the best game on iOS ever... but it needs a sequel. 1 Star until you announce this." There is a large disparity with user reviews these days, as people ignore what they liked about a game in order to "take it out" on the dev over one thing they didn't like. They figure it is the best way to get their complaint noticed, since review scores can influence sales.

i am still waiting for EA's Origin to change their policy of snagging all my personal data when it runs.

sandboxing it is not my cup of tea solution and considering origin is mandatory, i'll just wait.

after reading all the critics, I guess waiting is not so bad.

A lot of you fans are way to critical of the mass effect 3 and it's ending the game is is amazing!