Iran to block the entire internet, replacing it with "clean" intranet

By Lee Kaelin on April 10, 2012, 8:30 AM

Iran looks set to permanently deny the World Wide Web to millions of the country's residents, which will include popular social networking sites as well as email services from the likes of Google, according to a report by the International Business Times, whose sources claim Iran plans to establish their own intranet within the next five months.

Iranian minister for Information and Communications, Reza Taghipour, released a statement at the beginning of the month confirming the setting up of a national intranet which would include the blockage of all services provided by Google, Yahoo and Hotmail as they push closer to achieving a "clean internet."

The plan consists of two main parts, with the first phase due to start in May, in which Google, Hotmail and Yahoo services will be blocked and replaced by Iran Mail and Iran Search Engine products. During and after the completion of the first phase it is believed that most websites will still be accessible, with the exception of the aforementioned sites.

Those wishing to have emails will be required to register for an Iran Mail ID, a registration procedure the country has already put in place, in which the government mandates authentic personal information in order to match the details to a real person. Only once the personal information has been verified with government records of the individual will the registration be approved.

Phase two of the national intranet project, due for completion by August will see the remainder of the internet completely denied to Iranian users. "All Internet Service Providers (ISP) should only present National Internet by August," said Taghipour.

That said, the AFP this morning released a statement from Iranian officials responding to the news coverage surrounding the April 1 statement by Taghipour, saying the publication was a hoax. "The report is in no way confirmed by the ministry" and is "completely baseless," the ministry statement said.

Zoner1501 Zoner1501 said:

I wouldn't laugh to much, the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if the RIAA/MPAA started to push for a similar system in the US

Lionvibez said:

zoner1501 said:

Something like that would never happen in North America because it would hurt the RIAA/MPAA also.

Zoner1501 Zoner1501 said:

lionvibez said:

zoner1501 said:

Destroying the Internet would be a dream come true for the RIAA/MPAA

Thanks a lot techspot, i spilled my drink on my cloth when i read the Article title on my RSS reader.

Crazy mullah, no wonder the people here in Qatar hates them.

[ they are redefining censorship of internet ], but still.....North Korea beats the mullah at censoring internet.

At last someone did the right thing.

May Allah breaks these mullah that is killing muslims in Syria, and are now censoring internet, and are now trying to make nuke.

These dangerous munafiqoon shiites self proclaimed muslims, funded al queda, hezbollah, assad and muslim brotherhood and they with cunning makes the false evidence blames the muslims (sunni, salafi).

Allah breaks these Shiites munafiqoon !

Allah bless Qatar !!!!!

soon in america... sad

i wish people would be more aware of what's happening in their own country.

look up for NDAA, sopa, acta, etc.

Leeky Leeky said:

I aim to please...

Tygerstrike said:

It wont happen in America due to the fact that the Laws that govern the ppl protect ALL forms of speech. Including the Internet. This is what happends when religion and government work together. Iran is about to lock down any information its ppl might be able to get from the world wide web. Im thinking that the "new" and "progressive" idea of peace scares Iran.

"It wont happen in America due to the fact that the Laws that govern the ppl protect ALL forms of speech. Including the Internet."

But the internet isn't owned by the government, it's not seen as a right by the government, but somehow they can shut down any site they so please. The U.S. government as well as many others sure as hell ARE NOT protecting free speech on the internet. Thats just silly. If the internet were a right, however, you would be correct. Too bad its not huh?

Tygerstrike said:

@10:56 Guest

As I said. ALL forms of speech. Even those words on the screen in front of you, if your an American you have the right to say what you will on the internet. Make you feel better troll?

ikesmasher said:

in that case, the best thing to do is to push for freedom of internet access as a right BEFORE the government takes it away.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

ikesmasher said:

ditto

ditto

MilwaukeeMike said:

I love how it took to only the 2nd comment before someone started in on 'This will happen in the USA' You're still bitter that weed is illegal, aren't you Zoner?

I know it won't happen because the world is ending this year on Dec 22nd. Duh!

Tygerstrike said:

@mike

Now you know they are just angry that they dont have those freedoms. Thats why they latch onto America is next. Sooooooo many non-Americans love to bash America. But where do they come to have a chance at a real life?? America.

They slam America all the while buying its products. Levi,Pepsi,Marlboro. Seems more like sour grapes then anything else lol.

@Tigerstrike: Oh to be young and naive. Or is it just ignorance? I suppose once it happens you'll find a way to justify it. Keep watching Fox News. ;p

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

@mike

Dude, are you actually trying to say Levis, Pepsi, and Marlboro cigarettes are our gift to the world...?

Marlboros do the same thing as anthrax, just over a much more extended period of time..

Although, I have to say, my personal recommendations would be, Pepsi, Marlboro, and methamphetamine......ROFLMAO

Allah breaks these Shiites munafiqoon !

Allah bless Qatar !!!!!

Here, here! Well spoken...(I think.. )...!

Tygerstrike said:

@Capt.

No what im pointing out is the double standard that exists with these other countries. Im not saying our products are our gift to the world. I use that to point out that however much "America is Satan" these ppl use, they still jump at our American products.

@ Guest 4:28

Well I feel he is a troll, and you cant tell me what to say or feel. As I cant tell you what to say or do. Im pointing out that that guest is acting like a troll by constructing a straw man argument in order to validate a point that they have raised trying to use my post as the basis for their argument. And as I recall the Law trying to be passed in Arizona is more for those ppl that are harrassed on the internet. Like you yourself are doing by name calling. Obviously "Troll" isnt a word that needs to be censored. Unlike your post. Perhaps your reading skills need a bit of polishing up.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

@ Tygersrike

He is not a troll. You're just an *****. [link]

-signed, Arizona resident.

Oddly, I thought the US Supreme Court had the last say on ,"freedon of speech issues". So, unless Arizona secedes from the union, look forward to a protracted test of this garbage legislation's constitutionality.

Listening to your crap, you're just someone that is incapable of finishing the fights you start, so you whine "foul". Boo,. hoo, write me a law, 'cause I just don't know what to say next.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Techspot has some terrible moderators.

Must be in their early to mid 20's.

treetops treetops said:

@cap meth comes from germany, it was made by hitlers scientists in ww2 if i remember right, speaking of which 10 days til his birthday 4\20

"The report is in no way confirmed by the ministry"

Who knows if any of this is true but it would be a nice way for Iran to stop a rebellion like what happened in Egypt and all those other middle eastern countries that have already faded from memory. I noticed a lot of news outlets accrediting social media for the rebellions, looks like Iran took it to heart. Actually I thought Iran already had something like this and I assume N Korea does. By the way I fully support countries over throwing dictators, a false sense of being in control of your country is much better then a dictatorship.

@tyg its usually americans that say americas next not foreigners, usually victims of fear media, i guess if u keep bending over u stop being a victim after a while and become a participant. its not the idea of peace that scares iran its the fear of rebellion. really the straw man thing again lol, it seems like you tell that to anyone who disagrees with you.

@Arizona law, sigh my state looks so stupid

p.s. amstech in the news section childish arguing makes up half the posts on anything remotely political

p.s.s. i like the moderation on techspot

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Techspot has some terrible moderators.

Must be in their early to mid 20's.

And you're absolutely positive that you could do better, aren't ya now? Why would that be? Because you don't like the direction this topic is heading?

Truth is, plenty of my posts get pulled, mostly because I don't baby anybody's feelings. I don't resort to name calling, or threats either though.

In all 1st Amendment arguments such as this, I usually refer the participants, to the book, "Yelling Fire", by Alan Dershowitz..

If Arizona tries to enforce such frivolous legislation, against internet trolling, I suggest the parties move to another state, or at least one of the parties. Cause I'm damned sure Arizona wouldn't be able to enforce this across state lines. Which, need I mention, the internet certainly does cross.

Also, need I point out that, "making terroristic threats", is already a felony?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

We certainly have embraced it as if it was our own though, haven't we?

I saw a cute little thing about how many of the things in our every day lives come from other cultures and countries. A brief recap, "Turkish Towels", and "Chinese Gunpowder".

treetops treetops said:

Also, need I point out that, "making terroristic threats", is already a felony?

Yeah cap its yet to be passed, I believe even if the governor signs it which I think she will since she loves attention, it still needs further approval which according to my local news stations aint likely. Since its copy pasted from the phone law(s) on such matters it would likely only be looked into if someone filed a complaint there wont be people being paid to browse forums looking for insults lol, well I just stated the obvious good day.

@methcap sadly yes

btw I dont know if the chinese ever put gunpowder into guns before the europeans got a hold of it

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Yeah well, this is commonly referred to as, "Sarah Palin Syndrome". Hopefully for the Arizonans, this debacle will make her famous, and she'll up and quit.

No, perhaps not. But, they did put it into rockets before Werner Von Braun and the Germans.....

(Please don't bust my stones about this, I do know the difference between hydrazine and gunpowder. The whole gunpowder thing is simply funnier, that's all).

The best example of things Americans have embraced from other countries I can possibly think of is, the "Stafford-shire Bull Terrier". Yeah, that's right. The Brits invented the pit bull.

Tygerstrike said:

@ tree

Check out the history of gunpowder in China. Its actually kinda interesting what the chinese did with gunpowder before guns. Fireworks is the first that comes to mind for most ppl. The interesting part was how they incorporated gunpowder to make the first powered arrows. Also youre prolly thinking someone else about straw man. Thats the first time I have ever brought it up as it was the first time I personally have had a reason to bring it up.

That Law in Arizona wont stand the constitutional test. It directly contradicts the first amendment.

treetops treetops said:

@ tree

Oh probably, someone straw manned me the other week thought it was you.

QUOTE:

"The ministry responded to the false report saying, "the propaganda wing of the West and providing its hostile media with a pretext emanating from a baseless claim."

Interestingly, officials did say they have plans to build a "national information network" that would function as a intranet for the country's internet users. No information was provided about whether the internet would exist alongside it, or be blocked as the original report suggests, but it sounds eerily close to the original report by the minister for Information and Communications."

The above summarises (if indeed correctly qouted) the mentality and ignorance this countries leaders adopt and enforce, if russias and china were not so defensive of Iran i would say nuke them but as it is the other 2 facist countries would start a bio terrorism or worse scenario upon any who want to instill a sense of community.

treetops treetops said:

QUOTE:

Not really a fan of killing millions of innocent people. Iran will never attack the usa OR nuke another country, why would the rich aholes in charge risk it all? They just pander to the public wants like every country. There scape goat is the west. USA scape goats and distractions are gay marriage, Iran, N Korea, immigration, abortion, bird flu, el nino, killer bees, killer pythons, y2k, k2y, that flu in Mexico that appeared and disappeared in the same month, ozone, global warming and the biggest of all RIGHT VS LEFT politics.

Leeky Leeky said:

Techspot has some terrible moderators.

Must be in their early to mid 20's.

Rather than labelling us "terrible," you could also use the report a post feature if you feel a post is offensive. There might be a few of us moderators, but we can't be everywhere at the same time.

That is precisely why a report feature on this forum exists -- its to help assist moderators and administrators as well as other staff police the forum and enables members to highlight posts they feel are breaking the rules.

As a last point, its a thankless job at the best of times, and we moderators do this with absolutely no financial reward, giving up our time to ensure you (the members) can navigate the forum without offensive material bombarding you nonstop.

But thanks for the vote of confidence.

EDIT: And now having read the entire thread, I see one of your posts was removed. So the whole accusation of us being terrible is because we removed your post.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Jeez, I must be thick skinned. I thought this was actually pretty civilized, as hot button issues go.

And you caught me, it's actually "Shouting Fire", by Alan Dershowitz, that attaches to FOS 1st Amendment issues. (I posted "Yelling Fire" earlier).

Thaaankx Leeky, now you just took away all unbridled joy I get from generating offensive material, and for no good reason....

Leeky Leeky said:

I've personally seen it get much worse as well. It does get a bit borderline in a few places, but as long as people aren't insulting each other I'm okay with it.

Nobody wants Moderator "nazi's" supressing the forum, and most of the people posting on TechSpot are mature enough to realise what is acceptable and what isn't. Therefore we moderate with a more relaxed, laid-back style and allow the posts to flow -- as long as they don't break the guidelines.

Trust you to come out with that, Captain.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, Leeky, as difficult as it might be for you to , "wrap your head around" (as the children say), I'm going back to listening to Loreena McKennitt now.

A paradox, I know....

Twixtea said:

I'm sorry but in the original source www.ict.gov.ir is nothing written about this article.

I'm not quite sure based on what did google write that article.

I live in Iran myself, and from what I have 'heard' (yes still rumors, even confirmed stuff might change over a few days in Iran, that's the way it works), they are not gonna literally replace the internet with an intranet, BUT only providing the country with more servers, hosts, and datacenters so they can upload pages and data to those internal datacenters so people at home can access that data with a much higher speed than with the regular internet we currently have.

And above that, the bandwith used by people will no longer matter for ISPs cause currently they are paying a huge amount of money for the bandwith to I.C.T.

Means less bandwith, less traffic used by the internet, faster speed with intranet.

And the internet will still be accessible for people who need it.

How do you guys think large companies or factories would import stuff if the internet was COMPLETELY blocked? By telephone? Srsly...

They can't completely block the internet and they know that.

But only time will tell

they are trying to stop the information leaking about atomic stuff.... :)

@ tigerstrike

Most of the websites people go to are privately owned. Unless you commit a crime on the internet, rights are useless. But the government can still shut it a website down and pull information from most servers because their owners will roll right over for the govt. In all practicality, you don't really tend to have much rights on the internet. If I were to get obviously offensive, my comment would be removed. If you tell a person to **** off in reality, you have the right to do so and it won't change a thing... unless of course u end up fighting the person. I could go around and say "**** you" to everyone I see today. If I did that for every comment i made, I would be banned. You can get kicked out of private property for any reason really but you actually have to break the law to be kicked out of a public place. If someone here (and im not saying techspot would or would not do this) decided they did not agree with what I said, they could remove my post. I could try to sue for that I guess but i wouldnt win a penny. You have much more against you on the internet that you have rights protecting you. Free speech can be a right all it wants, that doesnt mean its applied to everything.

If you had mentioned that the right isnt practical to the internet, I wouldnt have. But im just a troll what do i know right?

Let's not forget about the 0-day bugs/exploits/malware that the U.S. govt pays top dollar for. Until more rights specifically designed for the internet are passed, the government WILL use the lack thereof to its advantage. No on else. For now, current rights on the internet are for the most part a joke.

Your comment proves that you are a clueless *****. It was the Sunnis that funded and supported Al-Qaeda, not Iran since both Iran and Al-Qaeda are mortal enemies. Same goes for Muslim Brotherhood. In fact, the Muslim Brotherhood in Syria are fighting against Assad supported by Iran, the very country you falsely accused of funding and supporting the Muslim Brotherhood.

Allah bless Qatar !

No, Allah curse Qatar for holding my friend prisoner for three weeks! His crime? For bringing poppy seed bagels that violated Qatar's drug laws.The poppy seeds are innocuous yet Qatar authorities classified them as illegal drugs! How ridiculous is that!? This just show that Qatar is still a backward country despite calling themselves the most liberal country in the Middle East.

I spit on that country!

I'l do that on my country to any latinamerica content... For sakes of keeping our language safe of the slur they 'talk'