Iran to block the entire internet, replacing it with "clean" intranet

Leeky

Iran looks set to permanently deny the World Wide Web to millions of the country's residents, which will include popular social networking sites as well as email services from the likes of Google, according to a report by the International Business Times, whose sources claim Iran plans to establish their own intranet within the next five months.

Iranian minister for Information and Communications, Reza Taghipour, released a statement at the beginning of the month confirming the setting up of a national intranet which would include the blockage of all services provided by Google, Yahoo and Hotmail as they push closer to achieving a "clean internet."

The plan consists of two main parts, with the first phase due to start in May, in which Google, Hotmail and Yahoo services will be blocked and replaced by Iran Mail and Iran Search Engine products. During and after the completion of the first phase it is believed that most websites will still be accessible, with the exception of the aforementioned sites.

Those wishing to have emails will be required to register for an Iran Mail ID, a registration procedure the country has already put in place, in which the government mandates authentic personal information in order to match the details to a real person. Only once the personal information has been verified with government records of the individual will the registration be approved.

Phase two of the national intranet project, due for completion by August will see the remainder of the internet completely denied to Iranian users. "All Internet Service Providers (ISP) should only present National Internet by August," said Taghipour.

That said, the AFP this morning released a statement from Iranian officials responding to the news coverage surrounding the April 1 statement by Taghipour, saying the publication was a hoax. "The report is in no way confirmed by the ministry" and is "completely baseless," the ministry statement said.

The ministry responded to the false report saying, "the propaganda wing of the West and providing its hostile media with a pretext emanating from a baseless claim."

Interestingly, officials did say they have plans to build a "national information network" that would function as a intranet for the country's internet users. No information was provided about whether the internet would exist alongside it, or be blocked as the original report suggests, but it sounds eerily close to the original report by the minister for Information and Communications.

Permalink to story.

I wouldn't laugh to much, the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if the RIAA/MPAA started to push for a similar system in the US

zoner1501 said:
I wouldn't laugh to much, the way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if the RIAA/MPAA started to push for a similar system in the US

Something like that would never happen in North America because it would hurt the RIAA/MPAA also.

lionvibez said:
zoner1501 said:

Something like that would never happen in North America because it would hurt the RIAA/MPAA also.

Destroying the Internet would be a dream come true for the RIAA/MPAA

Thanks a lot techspot, i spilled my drink on my cloth when i read the Article title on my RSS reader.

Crazy mullah, no wonder the people here in Qatar hates them.

[ they are redefining censorship of internet ], but still.....North Korea beats the mullah at censoring internet.

May Allah breaks these mullah that is killing muslims in Syria, and are now censoring internet, and are now trying to make nuke.

These dangerous munafiqoon shiites self proclaimed muslims, funded al queda, hezbollah, assad and muslim brotherhood and they with cunning makes the false evidence blames the muslims (sunni, salafi).

Allah breaks these Shiites munafiqoon !

Allah bless Qatar !!!!!

soon in america... sad
i wish people would be more aware of what's happening in their own country.
look up for NDAA, sopa, acta, etc.

It wont happen in America due to the fact that the Laws that govern the ppl protect ALL forms of speech. Including the Internet. This is what happends when religion and government work together. Iran is about to lock down any information its ppl might be able to get from the world wide web. Im thinking that the "new" and "progressive" idea of peace scares Iran.

"It wont happen in America due to the fact that the Laws that govern the ppl protect ALL forms of speech. Including the Internet."

But the internet isn't owned by the government, it's not seen as a right by the government, but somehow they can shut down any site they so please. The U.S. government as well as many others sure as hell ARE NOT protecting free speech on the internet. Thats just silly. If the internet were a right, however, you would be correct. Too bad its not huh?

@10:56 Guest

As I said. ALL forms of speech. Even those words on the screen in front of you, if your an American you have the right to say what you will on the internet. Make you feel better troll?

in that case, the best thing to do is to push for freedom of internet access as a right BEFORE the government takes it away.

I love how it took to only the 2nd comment before someone started in on 'This will happen in the USA' You're still bitter that weed is illegal, aren't you Zoner?

I know it won't happen because the world is ending this year on Dec 22nd. Duh!

@mike

Now you know they are just angry that they dont have those freedoms. Thats why they latch onto America is next. Sooooooo many non-Americans love to bash America. But where do they come to have a chance at a real life?? America.
They slam America all the while buying its products. Levi,Pepsi,Marlboro. Seems more like sour grapes then anything else lol.

@Tigerstrike: Oh to be young and naive. Or is it just ignorance? I suppose once it happens you'll find a way to justify it. Keep watching Fox News. ;p

@mike

Now you know they are just angry that they dont have those freedoms. Thats why they latch onto America is next. Sooooooo many non-Americans love to bash America. But where do they come to have a chance at a real life?? America.
They slam America all the while buying its products. Levi,Pepsi,Marlboro. Seems more like sour grapes then anything else lol.
Dude, are you actually trying to say Levis, Pepsi, and Marlboro cigarettes are our gift to the world...? :rolleyes:

Marlboros do the same thing as anthrax, just over a much more extended period of time..:haha:

Although, I have to say, my personal recommendations would be, Pepsi, Marlboro, and methamphetamine......ROFLMAO

May Allah breaks these mullah that is killing muslims in Syria, and are now censoring internet, and are now trying to make nuke.

These dangerous munafiqoon shiites self proclaimed muslims, funded al queda, hezbollah, assad and muslim brotherhood and they with cunning makes the false evidence blames the muslims (sunni, salafi).

Allah breaks these Shiites munafiqoon !

Allah bless Qatar !!!!!
Here, here! Well spoken...(I think..:confused: )...!

@Capt.

No what im pointing out is the double standard that exists with these other countries. Im not saying our products are our gift to the world. I use that to point out that however much "America is Satan" these ppl use, they still jump at our American products.
@ Guest 4:28
Well I feel he is a troll, and you cant tell me what to say or feel. As I cant tell you what to say or do. Im pointing out that that guest is acting like a troll by constructing a straw man argument in order to validate a point that they have raised trying to use my post as the basis for their argument. And as I recall the Law trying to be passed in Arizona is more for those ppl that are harrassed on the internet. Like you yourself are doing by name calling. Obviously "Troll" isnt a word that needs to be censored. Unlike your post. Perhaps your reading skills need a bit of polishing up.

@ Tygersrike

He is not a troll. You're just an *****. https://www.techspot.com/news/48042...e-cyberbullies-internet-trolls-criminals.html

-signed, Arizona resident.
Oddly, I thought the US Supreme Court had the last say on ,"freedon of speech issues". So, unless Arizona secedes from the union, look forward to a protracted test of this garbage legislation's constitutionality.

Listening to your crap, you're just someone that is incapable of finishing the fights you start, so you whine "foul". Boo,. hoo, write me a law, 'cause I just don't know what to say next.

@cap meth comes from germany, it was made by hitlers scientists in ww2 if i remember right, speaking of which 10 days til his birthday 4\20

"The report is in no way confirmed by the ministry"
Who knows if any of this is true but it would be a nice way for Iran to stop a rebellion like what happened in Egypt and all those other middle eastern countries that have already faded from memory. I noticed a lot of news outlets accrediting social media for the rebellions, looks like Iran took it to heart. Actually I thought Iran already had something like this and I assume N Korea does. By the way I fully support countries over throwing dictators, a false sense of being in control of your country is much better then a dictatorship.

@tyg its usually americans that say americas next not foreigners, usually victims of fear media, i guess if u keep bending over u stop being a victim after a while and become a participant. its not the idea of peace that scares iran its the fear of rebellion. really the straw man thing again lol, it seems like you tell that to anyone who disagrees with you.

@Arizona law, sigh my state looks so stupid

p.s. amstech in the news section childish arguing makes up half the posts on anything remotely political

p.s.s. i like the moderation on techspot

Techspot has some terrible moderators.
Must be in their early to mid 20's.
And you're absolutely positive that you could do better, aren't ya now? Why would that be? Because you don't like the direction this topic is heading?

Truth is, plenty of my posts get pulled, mostly because I don't baby anybody's feelings. I don't resort to name calling, or threats either though.

In all 1st Amendment arguments such as this, I usually refer the participants, to the book, "Yelling Fire", by Alan Dershowitz..

If Arizona tries to enforce such frivolous legislation, against internet trolling, I suggest the parties move to another state, or at least one of the parties. Cause I'm damned sure Arizona wouldn't be able to enforce this across state lines. Which, need I mention, the internet certainly does cross.

Also, need I point out that, "making terroristic threats", is already a felony?

@cap meth comes from germany, it was made by hitlers scientists in ww2 if i remember right, speaking of which 10 days til his birthday 4\20
We certainly have embraced it as if it was our own though, haven't we?

I saw a cute little thing about how many of the things in our every day lives come from other cultures and countries. A brief recap, "Turkish Towels", and "Chinese Gunpowder".

And you're absolutely positive that you could do better, aren't ya now? Why would that be? Because you don't like the direction this topic is heading?

Truth is, plenty of my posts get pulled, mostly because I don't baby anybody's feelings. I don't resort to name calling, or threats either though.

In all 1st Amendment arguments such as this, I usually refer the participants, to the book, "Yelling Fire", by Alan Dershowitz..

If Arizona tries to enforce such frivolous legislation, against internet trolling, I suggest the parties move to another state, or at least one of the parties. Cause I'm damned sure Arizona wouldn't be able to enforce this across state lines. Which, need I mention, the internet certainly does cross.

Also, need I point out that, "making terroristic threats", is already a felony?
Yeah cap its yet to be passed, I believe even if the governor signs it which I think she will since she loves attention, it still needs further approval which according to my local news stations aint likely. Since its copy pasted from the phone law(s) on such matters it would likely only be looked into if someone filed a complaint there wont be people being paid to browse forums looking for insults lol, well I just stated the obvious good day.

@methcap sadly yes

btw I dont know if the chinese ever put gunpowder into guns before the europeans got a hold of it

Back