Halo 4 to launch November 6, featured on Conan O'Brien tonight

By on April 17, 2012, 6:30 PM

Various news sources have been keeping us steeped in rumors for some time now, but Microsoft spoiled all the fun today. Although we've known Halo 4 has been on the way, we now have an official date of release. November 6, which is Election Day in the U.S., marks the launch date for the fourth installment of the popular gaming franchise.

In addition to finally receiving a solid date, Conan O'Brian will feature a special segment on his late-night show dedicated to celebrating the game's imminent release. His show, Conan, can be seen on TBS at 11:00pm tonight.

Although still highly-anticipated, Halo 4 will be the first Halo release to not be developed by Bungie. The game studio had concluded its vision of the trilogy in 2007, but left some unanswered questions regarding Master Chief and his sidekick. After Bungie became an independent game studio and emancipated itself from Microsoft, 343 Industries (or 343i) picked up the torch with plans to create another Halo trilogy.

Although Microsoft hasn't been particularly forthcoming with details on the next installment, Game Informer was able to dig up some juicy nuggets earlier this month. According to the magazine, Master Chief is expected to make a return and the story line will pick up in the year 2557, four years after the finale of Halo 3.

In addition to many changes like a newly designed HUD and a more "cinematic feel", players can expect a special cooperative play mode with periodically released, downloadable episodes that expand upon the Spartan storyline. Multiplayer is also expected to feature custom load-outs, equipment modifications and other nifty changes.

PC enthusiasts may be disappointed to hear that Microsoft only mentions an Xbox launch in their press release. Of course, Halo 3 never quite made it to PC either, despite a healthy helping of rumors over the years.

Cota Cota said:

Its better not to have it, than having a mediocre port to PC Besides since they announced Halo Wars only on Xbox i just took Halo like a big fart. (No trolling intended)

ikesmasher said:

Been on waypoint for ages, its disappointing how sad things are turning out with halo 4.

Anyone doubting on this game is pretty dumb.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

I doubt it can ever live up to the first one although it is a welcome addition nonetheless. I just hope they don't sacrifice the campaign gameplay for the multiplayer/online aspect. The port of 1 and 2 were just fine IMO and I would much rather play it on pc than Xbox. Imagine what it could have been if it was originally a pc game. Not as big commercially but a lot more impressive I imagine.

Ranger12 Ranger12 said:

Anyone doubting on this game is pretty dumb.

If there's anything to be learned from the past few years of game development it's that doubting a big releases is often the smartest thing you can do.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

Its better not to have it, than having a mediocre port to PC

Couldn't agree more.

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

M$ is developing a nasty habit of annoying me. If it tries to ruin our Halo Mania, it's time for gamers to teach it some manners.

Xbox is a piece of junk, IMAO. Halo belongs to the PC, and it should remain that way. We saw what a port can look like way back in Truth And Reconciliation.

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

Ditto..

have the ps3 after massive failures of the xbox after xbox after xbox...

the xbox is a peice of doo doo..

MilwaukeeMike said:

I know i'll probably forget, but I think i'll write in Master Chief for Prez.

HALO 4? WTH!!!? Shouldn't this be Halo 7 or 8?

Uhhmmm... M$oft.. Why not a new exclusive...? Am tired of HALO. Thank goodness for the PS3 or else I wouldn't have any games to play

Are you kidding? I know everyone loves Halo... I do to. I really wanted them to develop this on the 720 and not the 360. 360 tech is so dead.... in fact, it's more obsolete than my office computer. Don't worry, I'll buy it but I really think the Halo universe would benefit from the wonders of advanced graphics, real physics, and directX 11 instruction sets.

I could agree more Halo should be released on PC !!!! But MS will not do that, just like they wont have cross platform game play!!! They make more money on that junk Xbox.

ikesmasher said:

Anyone doubting on this game is pretty dumb.

Anyone who is blindly optimistic is dumb.

Seriously halo sucks and what makes it worst ... Xbox sucks and it's a dead technology ... It's time MS admits that BluRay is better and 3D is the new hit with gaming .... Such a launch of their best franchise game should at least be on the new upcoming hardware "720" and should be 3D

Halo has gone down hill since Halo 2. I bought 3 and Reach which were not up to the same standard as #2. Halo's time in the sun is over.....:'(

Halo is a great franchise, I just hope that 4 can live up to the rather high bar set by Reach and 3. I wish that it were released for the PC as well, my pc is about 5 times as powerful as my xbox. I am still looking forward to being the Master Chief again, I missed his stone cold badass feeling, that's not to say Noble 6 wasn't cool, but he wasnt a Chief.