Googling "zerg rush" destroys your search results

By on April 27, 2012, 12:30 PM

One of the attributes which makes Google great has to be its whimsical sense of humor and fun. There are a plethora of Easter eggs for Google's services and products (see more below) but this latest surprise will have you fighting an impossible battle to save your search results.

When a user Googles "zerg rush", a swarm of enemies shaped like the letter "O" will begin to fall from the top of their browser window. Users will only have moments between each wave to fight off the invasion by furiously clicking each O. Once your page results have been obliterated by O-shaped invaders, a couple of Gs will appear and score your valor and sacrifice. For those willing to participate, users can even post their score to Google+.

Is it just me, or do those red Os look a whole lot like Opera's logo? Hmmm...

Some other Easter eggs that might interest you (tip: some of these require HTML5):

• Do a barrel roll: Try googling "do a barrel roll" for some good times
  • Anagram: Searching for "anagram" causes Google to suggest "nag a ram" -- an anagram of anagram, of course
  • Recursion: Speaking of which, searching for "recursion" causes Google to recursively suggest "recursion" once again
  • Alternate languages: Google doesn't discriminate -- they kindly provide search services in such important languages at Klingon, Pirate and more
  • The loneliest number? It's 1, of course!
  • Google knows the answer to the Universe: Most nerds know the answer to this one already, though
  • ASCII art: Type in "ascii art" and Google will change its look to match your search criteria
  • Askew: Type in "tilt" or "askew" and Google will slant your search results in an interesting way
  • Gravity: Type "Google Gravity" and hit "I'm feeling lucky" to observe Google collapse before your very eyes

MilwaukeeMike said:

For those who don't know... 'Zerg' is from the Starcraft games. Zerg is a alien race, who's design includes many many small weak units instead of fewer stronger ones. The strategy therefore is to overwhelm your enemy like a bunch of ants on a caterpillar.

6 Pooling all the way to Masters.

Haha, yeah saw this on reddit this morning and it made me laugh. Oh, google, never stop being you!

Punkid said:

it is just you, the O's are not Os of Opera...theyre Os from gOOgle

Staff
Rick Rick, TechSpot Staff, said:

it is just you, the O's are not Os of Opera...theyre Os from gOOgle

That's what everyone tells me -- it's just you. :-(

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

OK...that was fun.

Oh, at least now I know that Google is not a search engine, but a place to have fun. I was one of the few who lived under the impression you can actually find something there. Last week I had to switch to Bing, because since a few months ago, whatever I look for in Google, I can't find it. It gives me millions of search results - with words I didn't enter, and when I open pages - some or all of my keywords are not there at all. But I understand, Google is too busy making stupid internet specs and mobile phones these days, too busy to attend to the reason why we all know about it -- the search engine. Now I understand that it is all a joke, and Google's search results are actually there for fun. Silly me, tried to actually use it.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Oh yeah, that's really good. Even the gravity one is a nice touch.

Tekkaraiden Tekkaraiden said:

I think they have way to much fun at Google, I wished I worked there.

treetops treetops said:

lol guest bing is terrible and full of ad results confuses my dad to no end

I heart google

...Now I understand that it is all a joke, and Google's search results are actually there for fun. Silly me, tried to actually use it.

Tell me, you weren't by any chance searching on how to steal Christmas were you?

Amazing. People still using Google...

Man, that is one misleading headline.