Gigabyte unveils "world's lightest" carbon fiber notebook

By on May 31, 2012, 4:00 PM

Gigabyte has taken the wraps of what it claims is the world's lightest notebook: the Gigabyte X11. As the name suggests this is an 11-inch system —11.6 specifically — and the Taiwan-based manufacturer has used an all carbon fiber enclosure to achieve an impressive light weight of 975g (2.15 pounds). For reference, Apple’s aluminum-body 11.6-inch MacBook Air is just slightly heavier at 1,080 grams (2.38 pounds).

Design-wise the X11 features a wedge-shaped design that goes from 3mm (0.19 inches) at the front to 16.5mm (0.65 inches) on the back. Opening the lid you’ll see an aluminum hinge, a chiclet-style keyboard with a backlight and ambient light sensor, and a large buttonless touchpad. Ports include power, USB 2.0 and mini DisplayPort on the left side plus microSD, combo audio and USB 3.0 on the right.

Under the hood the system features an unidentified “3rd generation Intel Core” processor (Ivy Bridge) and Mobile Intel HM77 Express chipset with Intel HD Graphics 4000, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, 128GB solid state drive,  a 1366 x 768 pixel LED-backlit display, 1.3 megapixel camera, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 4.0, as well as a choice between Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional operating systems.

Expect the Gigabyte X11 to arrive in July priced from $999 to $1299 depending on configuration.

Image via Engadget

Phwooarrr. I like a bit of carbon fibre.

"...a 1366 x 768 pixel LED-backlit display"

Nothing special here...move on.

Raswan Raswan said:

<p>"...a 1366 x 768 pixel LED-backlit display"</p>

<p><br /></p>

<p>Nothing special here...move on.</p>

It's an 11-inch notebook. You people need to quit pretending to be snobby about laptop displays because you think it makes you look discerning and cool. It just makes you look like an ***** to the rest of us. You want an IPS display? GET A DESKTOP. Or, at least, quit pretending you're ever going to see a decent display in a freaking 11-inch form factor for under a grand. Christ.

ikesmasher said:

****** that think 1080p is good for a 12 inch screen, good luck trying to read crap.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

inventix1136 said:

Which target are the manufacturers after? There really isn't that big of a market in the $999-$1500 space for machines that are more about design rather than function.

Raswan Raswan said:

First, agissi, you flatter yourself if you think I give a runny $hit what you think of my opinion (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant to say "regarding another's opinion," instead of that indecipherable nonsense you posted). However, because I'm bored I'll deign to answer you: why in the h.e. double hockey sticks are you looking for an IPS display for your FRESHMAN little sister? Huh? Does she have 100-20 vision? Or is she just in the habit of having big bro buy her over-the-top crap she'll never even appreciate? You got a bunch of extra money to burn?

Laptops in the last year have gotten plenty nice enough to compare to the MBA. Read a review. I'm not convinced you know anything about the MBA display OR its touchpad, or you would know this too.

Raswan: And yet the New iPad uses a 9.7-inch display with 2048X1536 resolution, and it looks fantastic, just like a photograph that is shot and printed using Leica lenses - have you never heard of Windows display scaling - you can tweak the text until it *is* readable.

You seem to be arrogant with no basis for it - then again it is difficult to be humble when you aren't good enough at anything to need to be humble about it, so I guess it's a cover-up.

I think you've won the YDS award for the day.

Neojt said:

yep the good old stat versus fact !!

Raswan Raswan said:

<p>yep the good old stat versus fact !! </p>

<p><br /></p>

<p>its like comparing 100W Paradigm speakers with 500W JVC or whatever plastic.... OH the 500W is better the number is higher !! NOT</p>

<p><br /></p>

<p>Ive seen alot of displays and numbers often dont mean much. PLus Raswan has a point its 11ich screen Most 15inch laptop had 1280*768 and most 17 ich had 1440*900 !! </p>

<p><br /></p>

<p>The only thing I hate about new PC screen is that their in the 16:9 resolution/for factor NOW taht is CRAP PC are 16:10 web sites are optimized for 4:3 and 16:10 if I want a tv ill buy a TV</p>

Thanks Neojt, for saving me time. And I agree with you that the 16:9 standard is getting old. Dear guest@8:15a--I will not dispute the fact that I am an arrogant SOB, because it is absolutely true. Just like you could not dispute the fact that you clearly know little about display technology, since this is just as clearly displayed above. Screen resolution is the only thing I need to know about a display? WTF? Thank god you were here to set me straight. I'd better get over to AVS and tell them they've been wasting their breath for the last ten years...

It's not "magical"

miluthui miluthui said:

[link]

Looks like it doesn't have a RJ-45 port, how could it be a notebook if it doesn't have a LAN connection ? If only wireless I'd rather get a tablet.

Raswan I dont appreciate your garbage post regarding your opinion to one's other. Not one bit. If it had an IPS display I'd strongly consider getting this for my little sister's freshman college year, but Im sure a Macbook Air for a similar price as a much better display and touchpad functionality Im not a big Apple fan so thats a bummer not to see a good PC contender yet. I gotta say the displays on the Macbooks and the touchpad are darn nice.

Sean Murray Sean Murray said:

After further research Gigabyte has actually misinformed the public about this device. It is actually a netbook, not a notebook since there is no internal CD/DVD/BD drive. That is a whole different line up.

Carbon Fiber is indestructible... Carbon Fiber surfboards are indestructible... we drop them 20 feet off our balcony on cement and it couldn't damage it lol

meh. Sony Vaio X, 1.6 lbs, about a pound lighter, was great but discontinued, was about $1200

Oops, 1/2 pound lighter, reading from different page