Valve: Non-gaming software titles coming to Steam September 5

By on August 8, 2012, 6:00 PM

Valve has announced that a set of non-gaming software titles will be hitting Steam next month. The new applications will range in category from creativity to productivity and will take advantage of popular Steamworks features such as easy installation, automatic updating and the ability to save your work in Steam Cloud, where it can be accessed from any computer using your login credentials.

The launch is scheduled for September 5 and Valve is quick to point out that new titles will be added in a regular fashion following the initial batch. Developers will be able to submit new software titles through Steam Greenlight, according to the press release.

Valve’s Mark Richardson said in the press release that 40 million gamers that frequent Steam are interested in more than just playing video games. He says that users have told them they would like to have more of their software on Steam and that the expansion is in response to those requests.

The move follows an apparent software update slip-up last month that saw Steam’s mobile app for Android and iOS briefly showcasing several new software genres. The update was quickly pulled but not before several readers captured screenshots. New categories included Accounting, Design& Illustration, Education, Photo Editing, Software Training, Video Production and Web Publishing, just to name a few.

The announcement didn’t specify any titles or what sort of price point titles will launch at. We’ll keep an eye on September 5 for more answers from Valve as the new categories officially go live.

ikesmasher said:

good idea, just as long as gaming remains the focus...I would rather not have software splattering my screen unless I was specifically looking for it, but I like just browsing through games.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

I love Steam for gaming and I know it's done wonders for PC gaming (which MS didn't care to do IMO). But at the same time I have to be against closed software ecosystems and stores where one or two parties control distribution as it is on mobile platforms.

jeffz6 said:

Sounds like a good idea, Im for it.

Now, if only they sort out a better browsing system.

yorro said:

Broadening the horizon, kinky...

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I agree. I think that you should have to search for the software. I like opening up steam and seeing the homepage full of the newest/greatest games available.

1 person liked this | gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Midweek Madness:

Now 50% off Spreadsheet Commando.

Buy now and get a free pocket protector hat for TF2.

Coming soon, scientific calculator DLC!

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Midweek Madness:

Now 50% off Spreadsheet Commando.

Buy now and get a free pocket protector hat for TF2.

Coming soon, scientific calculator DLC!

LMAO!

That last sentence literally made me fall off my chair. Good one sir!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

Coming soon, scientific calculator DLC!

...followed by a tide of anger as people lose their calcs because their "always needed to be connected" internet connection drops out halfway through!

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I agree dividebyzero, having to launch software from Steam would be a major down side.

TekGun TekGun said:

Unless of course like most games on steam they have an offline mode.

If Valve segregates the games and software correctly this could be quite good.

gwailo247, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Oh, and lets not forget achievements. Gotta have achievements.

Think of how much productivity would increase if your employees are trying to get that "Bill 10,000 customers" badge on their Steam profile.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

Midweek Madness:

Now 50% off Spreadsheet Commando.

Buy now and get a free pocket protector hat for TF2.

Coming soon, scientific calculator DLC!

+1 LMAO

GeforcerFX GeforcerFX said:

Any guess's on when Valve will just turn steam into a operating system, I would be cool with that personally, especially if it remained free.

LNCPapa LNCPapa said: