Apple amends US lawsuit, seeks ban of Galaxy S3 and 21 more

By Lee Kaelin on September 3, 2012, 3:00 PM

Apple looks set to deal Samsung a further blow after amending a lawsuit filed earlier in the year to include several of the South Korean firm’s latest smartphones, bringing the total number of devices that Apple seeks to ban to 22.

The lawsuit filed in February has run parallel to the recently tried case, and accuses Samsung of infringing eight patents for features including its slide-to-lock and universal search. The amended filing now seeks the ban of four more devices, the Galaxy S III, a special version of the Galaxy S III for Verizon, the Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab 10.1 in addition to those already listed.

Apple’s complaint now includes the Galaxy S III, Galaxy S III - Verizon, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S II - T-Mobile, Galaxy S II - AT&T, Galaxy Nexus, Illusion, Captivate Glide, Exhibit II 4G, Stratosphere, Transform Ultra, Admire, Conquer 4G, and Dart. Also included is the Galaxy Player 4.0 and Galaxy Player 5.0 as well as the Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and Galaxy Tab 8.9 tablets.

“Samsung has systematically copied Apple’s innovative technology and products, features, and designs, and has deluged markets with infringing devices in an effort to usurp market share from Apple,” the updated complaint reads. Apple strongly maintains its rival “slavishly copied" its designs and in doing so used its “elegant and distinctive user interfaces” instead of pursuing its own product development.

The new additions follow a recent verdict that awarded Apple a massive $1.045 billion in damages after the jury unanimously agreed that Samsung was infringing on the US firm’s intellectual property, patents, trademarks and user interface. While the sheer size of the damages awarded in the US case is unprecedented, Apple hasn’t had it all its own way however. Towards the end of last month a South Korean court found both companies to be infringing on each other’s patents, and fined them both a relatively small sum.

Judge Lucy Koh will also decide on Apple’s requests to permanently ban the eight infringing handsets included as part of the August 24 verdict, on December 20. Apple plans to ask Judge Koh to triple the award to $3.15 billion. The hearing had previously been set for September 20 but Samsung requested more time to prepare.

1 person liked this | Alexmx said:

"Judge Lucy Koh will also decide on Apple?s"

Sadly, that's how it will end.

Seriously, I hope apple gets the shaft just like microsoft did in EU for monopolic practices

1 person liked this | Guest said:

It's like a basketball making company suing a soccerball making company for copying their product... it's ridiculous, screw Apple. I hope they get what's coming to them.

1 person liked this | m4a4 m4a4 said:

You know what? I'm done with being nice about saying that I hate apple. Apple, go die.

1 person liked this | veLa veLa said:

They just don't want any other smartphones on the market. Once they're done hassling Samsung they'll hit Moto or HTC just as hard.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I use apple products like the iphone and macbook air. However, I love Samsung way more and didn't get there products for an ultra book or phone because they weren't on the market. Apple is a bunch of ******* D***Bags for doing this. Best case scenario is the kid in class who is known as the best in school is out done by the new kid and everyone likes him instead, so the old kid decides to be a little B****.

My image of Apple is developing a worm hole.........

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I can tell you as someone who was earlier happy to go with the better product irrespective of it being from Apple and Samsung - I am now convinced of Apples inferiority as a technology innovator especially after all the details of the case came out. Apple, say hello to your newest hateboi.

Alvaro Alvaro said:

I guess the next iPhone wil have a design similar to that of the S III and they're suing preemptively?

psycros psycros said:

LOL, as if the system wasn't corrupt enough in giving Apple patent after patent for things they've stolen, and then enforcing those bogus patents in bought-and-paid-for courts..now Apple is changing their demands <I>after the fact</I>? If Koh grants this "amendment" it will destroy the last shreds of US trade law credibility. No, I take that back - it was already dead.

Apple is scared stiff of companies like Samsung and will try every trick in the book to hurt them. They are only hurting the consumer and themselves as innovation will be stifled through a monopoly and their name will suffer through a consumer backlash. Samsung meanwhile are getting more than a billion dollars worth of publicity. I know a number of people who are getting Samsung products because they want something that Apple does not want you to have.

Tygerstrike said:

Now Apple is being rediculous. I could understand maybe about the Galaxy Prevail being banned. It kinda looks like a Iphone. That is if your cross eyed, near sighted, and half blind. But really going after the G3? Its as far away from the Iphone as you can get!! Apple is just showing their true colors. Im waiting for Samsung to tell Apple where they can stick it. Samsung supplies the screens for Apple. I wonder if Samsung will get a court order that allows them to not fullfil their contract with Apple. Thereby stalling the I5 launch. Im not one for drama, but I really want to see this monster slain. Apple has definatly lost me as a customer....soon as I can upgrade, Im going to support Samsung just to spite CrApple!!! I suggest we as the consuming public do everything in our power to show Apple that we dont appreciate their tactics. Let your wallet talk for you!!!

Echostorm Echostorm said:

Im buying a Samsung now, not because they are better (which they are) but because apple are a$$holes. Getting all these patents is not trade, it is trying to monopolise. The ony person it is hurting is the consumer.

EVERYBODY BUY A SAMSUNG!!

Camikazi said:

Yea most knowledgeable people knew that most everything that Apple patented was made WAY before the iPhone. Apple doesn't really make anything, they just take stuff other people make and put it into one package (what most every company does actually), yet they somehow get patents for those things.

NoNamesLeft said:

One bad Apple spoils the bunch. Such an old saying has never been more true.

dennis777 dennis777 said:

(rectangle and round corners) - I can understand if they sue S2, tab, etc but S3???

patent system - worse idea of the US

I weep for the US consumers

Considering there are studies (even by Apple) that say consumers are opting for the S3 because of the bigger screen, and observing that the iP5 will feature a larger screen, I think Samsung has a case here!

seriously, Apple's got a fever. give them some cowbell.

there's quite a hate towards Apple going on here, but nonetheless, they'll soar when iP5 launches, as usual.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

It's hard to put into words the depth of loathing I hold for Apple might as well just say this " ********** ******** and ********* ********** with a ************ colonic" and be done with it.

Can you get cancer from being in love with lawyers ?

Samsung copied. Bottom line. That's why they were found guilty. Apple gave them plenty of chances to stop and license like Microsoft. Google themselves warned them about their design. They've got what's coming to them. If they'd truly innovated from the beginning, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Having said that, I wished at the end of the trial, both companies would've stopped there and said the case was done and would get back to doing business without all the lawsuits. I don't agree with Apple here about the S3, but I do agree with the products that were covered in the original lawsuit.

Stop the lawsuits Apple and Samsung, for Pete's sake, stop copying.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Guess its time to go buy a Galaxy S3 before the best phone on the market gets banned. Apparently making phones better than the iphone is illegal now.

Apple fans can be all pumped now, but if (when?) Apple succeeds in making a monopoly nobody will be happy except Apple.

Emexrulsier said:

I bet every retarded judge out there owns an iphone and ofc knows no better. What you find with every iphone owner is that they see something like an S3 and straight away think its an iphone copy when in reality it was Apple who copied many other phone manufacturers design ideas it just these companies haven't the funds to take on Apple.

What should happen is Samsung should stop supplying parts to Apple and watch the iphone product plummet over night.

Apple is going mad. They can't just patent rectangle shape and round corners. I hate apple.

RajeGera RajeGera said:

[Apple?s complaint now includes the Galaxy S III, Galaxy S III - Verizon, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S II - T-Mobile, Galaxy S II - AT&T, Galaxy Nexus, Illusion, Captivate Glide, Exhibit II 4G, Stratosphere, Transform Ultra, Admire, Conquer 4G, and Dart.]

Wat else remains for samsung,if above mentioned go for banned.This shit could create great wonders for upcomig windows 8 nokia mobiles....

Alexmx said:

Stop the lawsuits Apple and Samsung, for Pete's sake, stop copying.

There's a vast variety of smartphones, the LG Prada went live a month earlier than the iphone.

Although that doesn't demonstrates that apple copied LG, it shows where the design trend could go among cellphone makers.

It is far beyond idiotic from the US patent system to allow some company to patent a design trend or an "slide to unlock" function that has been proved it existed previously in a similar way (see Neonode N1m)

Long story short, apple is maliciously taking advantage of a very faulty system that deserves to be burned to the foundations and then remade. Because it is so stupid and childish as calling dibs.

Neojt said:

SO LAME I have a SIII and it looks NOTHING like and iphone!!! shape desing Weight SIZE got F yourself apple

I have seriously been thinking about jumping on the bandwagon by getting an Ipad, but with the way Apple has been behaving lately, I just don't see myself supporting them in any way, shape or form.

This is how Apple removing its main rival..

And, can you see that Apple want to monopolize the smartphone market?

VitalyT VitalyT said:

Apple is again flogging their old product - iBitch.

Tygerstrike said:

It gets even better ppl!!! Check out the article on Antisec. It appears as if Apple has been giving out your personal info to the FBI. If you own a idevice they have your info.

wiyosaya said:

In this film which is an interview with Steve Jobs - [link]

Jobs outright says that Apple stole everything it "invented" at least to that point. Of course, this is prior to the iPad, Pod, Phone. Perhaps Samsung should have directed their case more towards refuting crApple's patents.

I've never been a crApple fan, and this will not make me a fan of them, either. If crApple ends up with a monopoly, perhaps this will spur other companies toward greater innovation. In any event, I will not become a crApple customer.

thePVTD thePVTD said:

Apples will rot at some point... Lucky for them Android didn't sue them for copying the UI top bar and Microsoft for copying the "Smartphone" idea... Yep, Apple came out second, same as there so called iPad idea, Qtek (HTC) Had the first one.

Reply to Guest comment: "I love Samsung way more and didn't get there products for an ultra book or phone because they weren't on the market."

Well they weren't on the market yet because Samsung hadn't the time to copy the Apple products yet!!! ROFLMAO @ all the Apple haters.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

"effort to usurp market share from Apple"

This sounds like a greedy little snot nose kid type attitude. But but but its my market share! Wahhh

Stupid Apple.