Apple amends US lawsuit, seeks ban of Galaxy S3 and 21 more

Leeky

Apple looks set to deal Samsung a further blow after amending a lawsuit filed earlier in the year to include several of the South Korean firm’s latest smartphones, bringing the total number of devices that Apple seeks to ban to 22.

The lawsuit filed in February has run parallel to the recently tried case, and accuses Samsung of infringing eight patents for features including its slide-to-lock and universal search. The amended filing now seeks the ban of four more devices, the Galaxy S III, a special version of the Galaxy S III for Verizon, the Galaxy Note and Galaxy Tab 10.1 in addition to those already listed.

Apple’s complaint now includes the Galaxy S III, Galaxy S III - Verizon, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S II - T-Mobile, Galaxy S II - AT&T, Galaxy Nexus, Illusion, Captivate Glide, Exhibit II 4G, Stratosphere, Transform Ultra, Admire, Conquer 4G, and Dart. Also included is the Galaxy Player 4.0 and Galaxy Player 5.0 as well as the Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and Galaxy Tab 8.9 tablets.

“Samsung has systematically copied Apple’s innovative technology and products, features, and designs, and has deluged markets with infringing devices in an effort to usurp market share from Apple,” the updated complaint reads. Apple strongly maintains its rival “slavishly copied" its designs and in doing so used its “elegant and distinctive user interfaces” instead of pursuing its own product development.

The new additions follow a recent verdict that awarded Apple a massive $1.045 billion in damages after the jury unanimously agreed that Samsung was infringing on the US firm’s intellectual property, patents, trademarks and user interface. While the sheer size of the damages awarded in the US case is unprecedented, Apple hasn’t had it all its own way however. Towards the end of last month a South Korean court found both companies to be infringing on each other’s patents, and fined them both a relatively small sum.

Judge Lucy Koh will also decide on Apple’s requests to permanently ban the eight infringing handsets included as part of the August 24 verdict, on December 20. Apple plans to ask Judge Koh to triple the award to $3.15 billion. The hearing had previously been set for September 20 but Samsung requested more time to prepare.

Permalink to story.

"Judge Lucy Koh will also decide on Apple?s"

Sadly, that's how it will end.

Seriously, I hope apple gets the shaft just like microsoft did in EU for monopolic practices

It's like a basketball making company suing a soccerball making company for copying their product... it's ridiculous, screw Apple. I hope they get what's coming to them.

You know what? I'm done with being nice about saying that I hate apple. Apple, go die.

They just don't want any other smartphones on the market. Once they're done hassling Samsung they'll hit Moto or HTC just as hard.

I use apple products like the iphone and macbook air. However, I love Samsung way more and didn't get there products for an ultra book or phone because they weren't on the market. Apple is a bunch of ******* D***Bags for doing this. Best case scenario is the kid in class who is known as the best in school is out done by the new kid and everyone likes him instead, so the old kid decides to be a little B****.

I can tell you as someone who was earlier happy to go with the better product irrespective of it being from Apple and Samsung - I am now convinced of Apples inferiority as a technology innovator especially after all the details of the case came out. Apple, say hello to your newest hateboi.

I guess the next iPhone wil have a design similar to that of the S III and they're suing preemptively?

LOL, as if the system wasn't corrupt enough in giving Apple patent after patent for things they've stolen, and then enforcing those bogus patents in bought-and-paid-for courts..now Apple is changing their demands <I>after the fact</I>? If Koh grants this "amendment" it will destroy the last shreds of US trade law credibility. No, I take that back - it was already dead.

Apple is scared stiff of companies like Samsung and will try every trick in the book to hurt them. They are only hurting the consumer and themselves as innovation will be stifled through a monopoly and their name will suffer through a consumer backlash. Samsung meanwhile are getting more than a billion dollars worth of publicity. I know a number of people who are getting Samsung products because they want something that Apple does not want you to have.

Now Apple is being rediculous. I could understand maybe about the Galaxy Prevail being banned. It kinda looks like a Iphone. That is if your cross eyed, near sighted, and half blind. But really going after the G3? Its as far away from the Iphone as you can get!! Apple is just showing their true colors. Im waiting for Samsung to tell Apple where they can stick it. Samsung supplies the screens for Apple. I wonder if Samsung will get a court order that allows them to not fullfil their contract with Apple. Thereby stalling the I5 launch. Im not one for drama, but I really want to see this monster slain. Apple has definatly lost me as a customer....soon as I can upgrade, Im going to support Samsung just to spite CrApple!!! I suggest we as the consuming public do everything in our power to show Apple that we dont appreciate their tactics. Let your wallet talk for you!!!

Im buying a Samsung now, not because they are better (which they are) but because apple are a$$holes. Getting all these patents is not trade, it is trying to monopolise. The ony person it is hurting is the consumer.

EVERYBODY BUY A SAMSUNG!!

Yea most knowledgeable people knew that most everything that Apple patented was made WAY before the iPhone. Apple doesn't really make anything, they just take stuff other people make and put it into one package (what most every company does actually), yet they somehow get patents for those things.

(rectangle and round corners) - I can understand if they sue S2, tab, etc but S3???
patent system - worse idea of the US
I weep for the US consumers

Considering there are studies (even by Apple) that say consumers are opting for the S3 because of the bigger screen, and observing that the iP5 will feature a larger screen, I think Samsung has a case here!

seriously, Apple's got a fever. give them some cowbell.

there's quite a hate towards Apple going on here, but nonetheless, they'll soar when iP5 launches, as usual.

It's hard to put into words the depth of loathing I hold for Apple might as well just say this " ********** ******** and ********* ********** with a ************ colonic" and be done with it.

Samsung copied. Bottom line. That's why they were found guilty. Apple gave them plenty of chances to stop and license like Microsoft. Google themselves warned them about their design. They've got what's coming to them. If they'd truly innovated from the beginning, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Having said that, I wished at the end of the trial, both companies would've stopped there and said the case was done and would get back to doing business without all the lawsuits. I don't agree with Apple here about the S3, but I do agree with the products that were covered in the original lawsuit.

Stop the lawsuits Apple and Samsung, for Pete's sake, stop copying.

Guess its time to go buy a Galaxy S3 before the best phone on the market gets banned. Apparently making phones better than the iphone is illegal now.

Apple fans can be all pumped now, but if (when?) Apple succeeds in making a monopoly nobody will be happy except Apple.

I bet every retarded judge out there owns an iphone and ofc knows no better. What you find with every iphone owner is that they see something like an S3 and straight away think its an iphone copy when in reality it was Apple who copied many other phone manufacturers design ideas it just these companies haven't the funds to take on Apple.

What should happen is Samsung should stop supplying parts to Apple and watch the iphone product plummet over night.

Apple is going mad. They can't just patent rectangle shape and round corners. I hate apple.

[Apple?s complaint now includes the Galaxy S III, Galaxy S III - Verizon, Galaxy Note, Galaxy S II Skyrocket, Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch, Galaxy S II, Galaxy S II - T-Mobile, Galaxy S II - AT&T, Galaxy Nexus, Illusion, Captivate Glide, Exhibit II 4G, Stratosphere, Transform Ultra, Admire, Conquer 4G, and Dart.]

Wat else remains for samsung,if above mentioned go for banned.This **** could create great wonders for upcomig windows 8 nokia mobiles....

KQm9JEwIg0mYdE9TV8RfgQ2.jpg

Back