Apple iPhone 5 is official: 4-inch screen, LTE, ships this month

By on September 12, 2012, 2:00 PM

Phil Schiller stole the show at today’s media event where Apple finally unveiled the long-awaited iPhone 5. Cupertino’s new flagship handset is largely what we expected to see – both aesthetically and internally – based on numerous leaks and rumors.

The iPhone 5 will ship with a 4-inch Retina display operating at 1,136 x 640 that equates to 326 pixels per inch. Apple used a new manufacturing process where the touch controls are integrated directly into the display. This reportedly gives the display 44 percent better color saturation and less glare from sunlight. The technology sounds a lot like what Amazon recently announced for the new Kindle Fire HD.

The aluminum and glass handset is the same width as the 4S but is now taller and can accommodate five rows of icons. Updated apps are now organized to show off more information while non-updated programs will be centered and run in letterbox format with black bars. Apple said the width was kept the same intentionally because a phone should be designed to fit comfortably in your hand.

But despite being taller, the handset is actually the thinnest smartphone in the world and the thinnest and lightest iPhone yet. Specifically, it’s 18 percent thinner than the 4S at just 7.6mm and 20 percent lighter, weighing in at 112 grams.

Moving on, the iPhone 5 is powered by Apple’s brand new A6 SoC which they say is twice as fast as the A5 in terms of CPU and graphics processing. It’s also 22 percent smaller and more energy efficient, although Apple didn’t specify if it was a quad-core component.

Apple has finally brought 4G LTE to the iPhone in addition to a number of other standards like GPRS, EDGE, EV-DO, HSPA, HSPA+ and DC-HSDPA. There’s also some new Wi-Fi technology as the device will be able to connect to 2.4GHz and 5GHz frequencies on 802.11n.

One of the reasons Apple hasn’t introduced LTE sooner was due to the fact that it can severely drain your battery, but that’s not the case with the iPhone 5. Apple says its battery life is actually better than what the 4S is capable of. Users can expect up to eight hours of 3G talk time, 3G browsing and LTE browsing, 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing and video, 40 hours of music and 225 hours on standby.

The same 8-megapixel camera from the iPhone 4S returns but there are some upgrades this time around. The full rundown includes 3,264 x 2,448 resolution, backside illumination, a hybrid IR filter, five-element lens and an f/2.4 aperture. Apple has added a lens cover made of sapphire that’s supposedly more durable and clear but a lot of the new camera technology comes courtesy of the A6 processor. There’s a new image processor that reduces noise and a smart filter for better color matching, 40 percent faster image capturing and an integrated panorama mode that outputs a large 28-megapixel image.

The rear camera is capable of 1080p HD video and has improved stabilization, face detection and is able to snap photos while recording video. The front-facing camera has been upgraded to a 720p FaceTime HD camera with backside illumination, face detection and is now capable of performing FaceTime calls over cellular.

The rumor mill also correctly pegged the new dock connector that will replace the traditional iPod 30-pin connector that has been in use since the first iPhone in 2007. The new Lightning connector is an all-digital, 8-signal design with an adaptive interface and improved durability. Apple says this connector is 80 percent smaller and is even reversible – no more having to guess the correct orientation in the dark. Adapters will be available so all of your old docks will still be usable, albeit at an additional cost. Third party audio manufacturers are already working on new docks and speakers using Lightning.

The iPhone 5 retains the same pricing model as the 4S, so expect to pay $199, $299 or $399 for a 16Gb, 32GB or 64GB model, respectively. Black (with an anodized black back) and white (with a raw aluminum back) versions will be available through AT&T, Sprint and Verizon Wireless in the US with pre-orders set to begin this Friday, September 14. The iPhone 5 will ship the following week on September 21.

The iPhone 4 will now be free on contract while the 4S will sell for just $99. The iPhone 5 will ship with iOS 6 and Apple will make the software update available to iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, new iPad, iPad 2 and iPod touch owners on September 19.

7 people like this | Guest said:

Cool, the new iPhone 5 is now the same as Android phones were 1 year ago.

Let the fanboy rush to Apple stores and spend a lot of money to get the new toy from Apple.

No NFC?

Just got a 4" screen, 1-2 years after everyone else

Just got wifi N, 1-2 years after everyone else

Just got LTE, 1-2 years after everyone else

Keep up Apple, now start to sue other company saying they all copied your iPhone 5.

3 people like this | Guest said:

Copy from Goophone

3 people like this | Guest said:

Wait so it's not even a quad core processor? So the Goophone is better. lol

3 people like this | OneSpeed said:

Wait. The Samsung Galaxy 3 has 5 rows of icons as well. Somebody better rush to the patent office...

2 people like this | MilwaukeeMike said:

LTE. Late, Though Expected.

2 people like this | Guest said:

I have to say I am dissapointed with the smaller charger. Why could a micro USB not be used as is used by almost every other chargeable device? Even the trimmer I use to shave my balls uses a micro USB now so I need one cable for all.

They really do know how to milk the public for their money.

Queue the queue's :-)

1 person liked this | fimbles fimbles said:

I would never buy anything with the evil apple logo on.

£399 for a 64 gb iphone is just wrong considering foxxcon employees only earn about 150 dollars a month and the suicide nets have only just been removed from the factorys.

Good luck to goophone with their ironic lawsuit.

1 person liked this | Carlos Garcia said:

I'm a big apple fan for they are geniuses in re-inventing technology and making it great for everyone. BUT this time, Apple has disappointed me in getting a phone that has no WOW features, just the same as everyone else.

I'm thinking seriously about switching to S3 (But I'm not quite sure, yet)

DanUK DanUK said:

An extra row of icons?! **** me sideways!

Seriously tho the cheek of them putting on their website "The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone" just.. too far.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Actually that's one of the few innovations on the iPhone 5, a reversible connector is a very good idea IMO.

1 person liked this | ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I'd hope the iphone 5 has a better battery. The galaxy s3 destroys the iphone 4s in battery life despite having a bigger screen. With the iphone 5's small screen, lower resolution, and extra time to work on it; it should have a MUCH better battery life than the 4s and the galaxy s3. We'll have to see though.

P.S. - Am I the only one who literally couldn't tell the difference between the 4, 4s, and 5 until I noticed the extra row?

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

$399 for the 64GB model? That must be with a 2-year contract? Normally it's like $849 for the big one.

My phone is better than your phone! Nyah nyah nyah. Haha what a bunch of nerds.

Iphone sucks ill just go to getgo and buy a $40 phone that does pretty much the same thing minus the stupid apps that I dont even want or use

3 people like this | Dukenukemx Dukenukemx said:

LTE and 4 inch screen! What all the Apple fans are going through.

DKRON said:

Did anyone else see the slide saying it had 3264x2448 res?

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Did anyone else see the slide saying it had 3264x2448 res?

That's the camera

DKRON said:

Oh...makes more sence now

veLa veLa said:

Did anyone else see the slide saying it had 3264x2448 res?

Yeah that's the resolution for the 8MP camera.

DKRON said:

Yea thanks for that, they usually don't advertise the res of a camera so I was abit confused

4 people like this | Wizz-Fizz Wizz-Fizz said:

My phone is better than your phone! Nyah nyah nyah. Haha what a bunch of nerds.

..... and yet you took time to post on a forum on "TechSpot"..... someone still in the "Nerd Closet" huh?

2 people like this | p51d007 said:

Funny...rabid fanbois say:

Who needs FIVE rows of icons

Who needs anything larger than a 3.5" screen

Who needs LTE

LOL....FAIL!

Apple use to LEAD innovation, now all they do is SUE.

Butch said:

I'm not really impressed with the IPhone 5 (I use a 4S as my personal phone and a Lumia 900 for business now). I think I will be skipping the iphone 5 and going to the Lumia 920. This is not because Apple doesn't make a fine phone, in fact, I think the 4S it's the most stable and reliable phone on the market today, but I am utterly BORED TO DEATH of iOS and I just don't see anything compelling with the new iPhone 5 to alleviate that boredom. Before you Android fans say anything, I have tried the latest Android phones (SIII and HTC One X) but can't use them because I depend way too much on my phone for business and Android is just too unstable (for me at least). My Lumia 900 has been rock solid and a pleasure to use so I am hoping the 920 delivers whenever it is released.

1 person liked this | soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

I had a much bigger screen (5.3 inch) and 4G LTE Speeds many months ago, Nothing new Apple, its the same phone just stretched a half inch longer lol. Fail.

1 person liked this | Mokito said:

All hype to milk the pockets of consumers.

1 person liked this | Wizz-Fizz Wizz-Fizz said:

All hype to milk the pockets of consumers.

The very definition of any and all marketing campaigns

1 person liked this | flynhyn flynhyn said:

Good for you.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I'd ask Siri if she is much slender than this.

Will Goophone (from China) sued iPhone 5? or Apple will counter Goophone copying from previous iPhone? Nevertheless, China is a sitting duck for design patent infringement..

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Meh, I'll probably still get one, firstly, because the back isn't made of glass any more, secondly, I have invested way too much in the app ecosystem to back out now and three, the screen is bigger, the battery is better, the processor is better and it will connect the UK EE 4G LTE Networks which is just awesome!

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

You don't like the glass? It's my favorite feature of the iphone. Feels so smooth and sexy in my hand. I don't want to touch metal... it's toxic.

andrewdoyle88 andrewdoyle88 said:

I'm thinking seriously about switching to S3 (But I'm not quite sure, yet)

I feel the same way, just unsure about making the switch to a Samsung. As soon as I get an iphone I jailbreak it so I think the galaxy is a better option.

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I have invested way too much in the app ecosystem to back out now

A lot of the paid apps in the iOS store are free on the the Android store, e.g. whatsapp, angry birds, etc. Of course some of them are supported by ads but there's ways around that... The only paid app I've got on my Android is Co-pilot for satnav and that's actually nowhere near as good as Tomtom on the iPhone (which is the only thing I miss really).

supyo said:

This is the competition to the Galaxy S3? haha FAIL!

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Can't wait to find someone who bought one of these and start laughing at them. Then let them try to defend their purchase, which they can't, and laugh some more. Love the highlights of the product, it has a camera that still sucks compared to any point and shoot, a processor that still can't compete with the snapdragons and tegra, and a reversible charger called "lightning" (how gay) so the morons buying this crap don't have to think when plugging it in when the battery dies before the end of the day. Oh and it has an extra row of icons... Man Apple, you sure no how to milk your sucker fan base. And they will buy this thing in droves, which is really the saddest part.

"This is the competition to the Galaxy S3? haha FAIL!"

Fail? we don't know it yet, just wait and let's see how much apple could sell this stuff compared to Galaxy S3 in worldwide..

"a processor that still can't compete with the snapdragons and tegra"

..so, why I found that my iPhone is more stable compared other smartphone using snapdragon and tegra?

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

Nice Andriod phone there....

Bruno M. Villar Bruno M. Villar said:

Do you guys knows a man called, Romney, Mitt wich everyone is saying that eat's lot's of S**t?

I love to be a Brazilian and have easy access and extremely low prices to get products such like this one.

Yesterday my neighbour came to me and said: "Look my new iphone! it' wasn't even launched at the yankees country and I already have one.

Suddenly I woked up and realized I was eating s**t just like the Mitt guy above...

To the H**ll with miserable rotten Apple!

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

"This is the competition to the Galaxy S3? haha FAIL!"

Selling a lot doesn't mean its better. Better performance means it's better. And guess what is the biggest factor in performance? Specs.

"a processor that still can't compete with the snapdragons and tegra"

I don't know why every apple fan tries this argument now. Maybe it's because they have nothing else to support their phones but vague personal experiences.

phillai said:

Does this not seem strange? The new iPhone 5 screen is a 1136 x 640 resolution yet the newly updated FaceTime HD is 720p?

Does that mean we can't see everything that the FaceTime HD is really showing?

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

To the H**ll with miserable rotten Apple!

What the f**k are you talking about? Everyone knows Obama and Romney are the same person.

@Reeder on the run

"Selling a lot doesn't mean its better"

Yes, of course. But who said selling a lot is better? it's a reply to the context about 'fail', we can't say it fail until we see later, does apple can sell it reaching their target? if they sell it below the target we can call it fail, if they at least reach the target we can say it's not fail, it's success, if they can surpass the target we call it more than success.. if they can sell more than Samsung S3, then.. call it what you want..

"Better performance means it's better. And guess what is the biggest factor in performance? Specs"

Yes, but don't forget the software or OS factor.. no matter how good the specs, the performance will be screwed if the OS itself isn't work as you want (I'm not saying iOS is better)

Do the consumer really need smartphone with good specs but their smartphone running sluggishly? low fps just when open the next page menu, restart, slow when running apps etc etc..

"I don't know why every apple fan tries this argument now. Maybe it's because they have nothing else to support their phones but vague personal experiences"

I'm not apple fanboys, I AM android fans, but from all my experience, I owned several androidsmartphone that using snapdragon or Tegra with high specs, but I'm disappointed when using them (just a few that satisfied me).. unlike the one of iPhone I owned that no matter how many apps I installed but running smoothly even they say iOS is more often crash than android.. but at least my iPhone is running smoothly when playing angry birds with full of apps, not like my snapdragon or tegra that seems low fps even I just open menu.. I don't know how vague my personal experiences, but I'm satisfied with iPhone that has lower specs but run more smoothly than other smartphone with high specs but running not-so-smooth just when open menu and lot of dissatisfaction.. I think I'll move from android to the new Lumia next year