Weekend Open Forum: What games have you replayed and why?

By on September 14, 2012, 6:30 PM

Although Steam and its ilk coax me into buying new games regularly, it's uncommon for me to beat them and it's even rarer that I take them for a second spin -- especially once I've abandoned them. However, for whatever reason, a handful of games still manage to hold my interest after five or more playthroughs.

I fire up Splinter Cell and Hitman several times a year and I've played through Chaos Theory half a dozen times since 2006ish. Collectively, I've beaten titles in those franchises more than 20 times. Similarly, on the multiplayer side, I've repeatedly revisited StarCraft (and now StarCraft II) for a month or so every year since 2002.

It seems I'm not alone here. Most gamers I've spoken with replay certain titles or series semi-regularly, whether for nostalgia or simply because they can't have the same experience elsewhere -- I believe the latter applies to my fondness of Splinter Cell and Hitman. Have you revisited any games several times, and if so, why?

Lords of the Realm 2. It was a great game!

dividebyzero dividebyzero, trainee n00b, said:

I've played through a few games a second time (or more) if the subsequent run-throughs offer something different. Games like Dead Space 2, that pretty much requires a second playing to go for the hardcore difficulty ( only 3 save points allowed for the whole game)...and of course. a subsequent game after beating hardcore and unlocking the awesome hand cannon (and extra suits and weapons)...there's something vastly entertaining about blasting necromorphs with a giant foam hand glove with attendant "pew-pew"'s from Isaac.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games I've also played through multiple times, both to get the alternate endings, and to replay with mods for improved game image quality, and/or additional content. I think I may have played Shadow of Chernobyl well over twenty times including mods (L.U.R.K., Stalker Complete, Oblivion Lost, Narodnaya Solijanka, Secret Trails etc.)

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, etc. I love games that make you feel like you are part of the world where it takes place.

JCrysis86 JCrysis86 said:

Borderlands like 20 times! Half Life 2....Halo's.

Far Cry 2, still massively underrated game that is way better in multiplayer than COD. Vast open world to explore.

Staff
Julio Franco Julio Franco, TechSpot Editor, said:

It's not often that I go back to a game that I've finished, and to be honest, I rarely finish them in the first place. But one game that I played briefly at first and came back to play more heavily years later is World of Warcraft.

I haven't launched it again since like 2009 but man, those were months where I had a life and I had another one in the realm. I've promised myself not to get caught into the Blizzard web again, lol.

Ninja gaiden black, like 10 times, at least.

SO MUCH Halo (1, 2, 3, Reach, Wars, ODST), Super smash bros. melee, Zelda, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, and Starwars battlefront 1 & 2. Any Final Fantasy (except MMO) hundreds of times. Sonic... Lots of Sonic. Soulcalibur II hundreds of times. Minecraft hundreds of times. Rayman, Centipede, Galaga, Starcraft II, H.A.W.X, Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010, Rainbow six vegas 2, Mirror's Edge, and UT 2004 a lot.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Sadly for most recent games I barely finish them, and can't remember going back and replaying a game start to finish. The only game I can think of is Gran Turismo 5, my 1st PS3 died so I bought a new one and that was the only game I actually started playing again, and more then before I lost my data. WoW was on and off for a while but gave up on it finally. Come to think of it, GTA4, bought it on PC and played almost all the way through it a 2nd time.

CrisisDog said:

Mirror's Edge is the only game so far that I've finished twice. It's a good story, nice PhysX effects, and short enough to actually finish.

There's a whole lot of games that I have never finished, period. Just got done with Borderlands, in anticipation for the next release. I need to finish up Halo 3 too...

Experimentongod said:

I always finish games and have replayed about half of the games I've finished (but, as a lot of other people, I have quite a few games I have never played yet).

For games that have sequels I usually replay the previous installments when I get the new one. For example if I buy the latest Splinter Cell game, I replay all the previous entries in the series. I've done the same with others like the Half Life, Hitman and F.E.A.R. series. So eventually I end up replaying the first game more than the others.

If a game is very good but a little short, like Dead Space, I even play through it two times back to back. Normally I play every game on medium difficulty and leave hard for the eventual replay.

Sometimes I just feel like revisiting a classic and replay it just for fun. I've been meaning to replay Doom 3 for quite some time, but now that they have announced the BFG edition I'll have to wait a little more ^^. Same goes for Bioshock 1 and 2, I'm waiting for the release of Infinite to replay those again.

Matt12345170 Matt12345170 said:

Jak and Daxter 1, 2, 3 - all amazing

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

I've played GTA IV like 30 times, and Mass Effect 2 around 20. The time was around 2008-2010. Right now, I do know plenty of games that has a high replayability like Max Payne 3. So these games have good single-player experience.

All of my Atari 2600 games. I still love to go back and set high scores. What can I say? I'm a child of the early '80s.

SuperHyperJose SuperHyperJose said:

Street Fighter II and 4, Mario World, and StarCraft

Cota Cota said:

Skyrim! Played as a shield/sword warrior, then a mage, then a sneacky cat and now a dark paladin, the gameplay went crazy whit mods and those custom difficulty mods, half an hour in dragons whit adds go crazy.

Also Borderlands, halo, Half Life franchise and games like such.

Space Invaders and Dead or Alive 2 !!!

Dawn1113 said:

Right now, it's Metro 2033 for me. It's an old game, of course. I got it a few months back, played it through once, liked it, but was unable to play it again because of a busy work schedule. I came back to it recently and started playing the game in earnest.

I'm not particularly impressed by the English voice acting, but the graphics in this game are really some of the best I've seen yet. I just love the delicious detail -- man, even the walls look pretty. I love the smoke and the haze, the shadows and particle effects -- and for once, I actually enjoy playing with copious amounts of motion blur.

I do get claustrophobic after a while so it's like having a gunfight inside a nightmare. I like to play this game in the dead of night to enhance the chilling creepiness. Fun stuff. The storyline is relatively good, too -- as games today go.

From the looks of it, I'll be playing and replaying this game for a while. I want to find out what this "Enlightened" ending is all about.

Heroes of Might and Magic III. I've been playing it since 2000, mostly while at work. I don't think its any stretch to say that I have ~3000 hours playing the game. I've played all types of games since then, but always keep coming back to it. Thank you GOG for porting it to Windows 7!!!

Deus Ex. Surely the most replayed game in the world.

Just about all the games I own because I love gaming :)

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

snk vs capcom match of the millineum

n64:

super smash bros 64

pokemon stadium 2

wii:

goldeneye reloaded

been playing handheld games more recently. feel kinda like I've missed out a little bit

Recycle said:

I've replayed all of the games in the Metal Gear Solid series more times than I can remember, mostly just to mess around and have fun doing things that are against the sneaky nature of the game on a serious playthrough. That, and collectibles, using stealth, using new weapons.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

I liked Frogger. That was fun.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Defense Grid: The Awakening - prolly about 50 replays.

Now replaying the Legend of Grimrock at a higher difficulty level. Hella fun dungeon crawler.

---agissi--- ---agissi---, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Frogger on PSX was good as a kid. For me its Warcraft 3 TFT & Unreal Tournament 99. I still turn them on here and there.

Gamesinner said:

The original Resident Evil was one of my all time favorite games and I have played through it three times. Duke. Nukem 3D was great I bought it again on Xbox Live and played through two more times. I am about to play the God of War series again which are also some of the greatest games. Basically if their putting out crap I have a library of my favorite games to entertain me.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Deus Ex would be my all time favorite, I've replayed it so many times!

I was a big fan of Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed too, got many hours in that aswell

But also older titles like Duke Nukem 3D (Not very recently though)

Settlers II in dosbox have been played to death by me aswell, so many hours in that game, still have the original gamebox & cd, love the soundtracks

A little more recent games would be the original Far Cry & Crysis, those have really been played to death aswell.

Just like Julio I've spent allot of time with WoW but I don't see myself going back (Atleast I hope I can promise myself that, because the game just sucks me in too much!)

In recent years I have not played many games though.

I have Deus Ex 2 barley started, Diablo III only installed never started, Battlefield 3 barley started, Duke Nukem Forever I have forced myself to play quite a bit but got kind of stuck / bored at the Octobrain boss...

But right now I'm gonna fire up Black Mesa Source because it was a long time since I played through Half-Life and I think I'm really gonna enjoy this!

ramonsterns said:

Homeworld 2, Half-Life 2, Red Faction: Guerilla off the top of my head.

Zoltan Head said:

Where can you buy "Guerilla off the top of my head"?, I'd like to try that.

mailpup mailpup said:

Homeworld (original), Counter Strike: Source (vs bots only) and Crysis Warhead. These are some of my favorites and I can recall all the keystrokes and controls without looking them up.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I have replayed the entire Mass Effect Series at least 3 times, The original Crysis got at least 6 play throughs (Crysis 2 had only one play through though, because it was crap). Team Fortress 2 I keep coming back to (400+ now). Battlefield 3 Is now over 115 hours worth of play.

The only series to ever draw a tear from my eye though, the Half-Life Series.

I've only ever gone through the series twice, Once each as they got released, but last summer I sat back down and started Saturday Morning, I did not stop from Half-Life 2 all the way to Episode 2, I still got emotional as I did the first time round

Company of Heros, I always go back to that, I went back to WoW a few times, Left 4 Dead 2 I always replay after a few months, Unreal Tournament 2004 I keep going back to, it just doesn't get old!

In fact my list is huge!

RajeGera RajeGera said:

Mario..Its always refreshing...

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Gta san andreas, mass effect 2 and that is pretty much it :3

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I always play the Metal Gear saga through every year or so in the correct order (starting with MGS3) because they're just amazing games.

I also like to play the old Final Fantasy games through now and then as a reminder of the old childhood.

Ahmed90 Ahmed90 said:

World in conflict!!..

Portal 1,2

GTA:SA

GTA IV

darkzelda said:

The Witcher 2 and all The Legend Of Zelda Games!!!

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

I've often replayed the Super Mario games. A game I've never lost my passion for is the Dawn of War series, it's absolutely stunning, the Warhammer 40,000 Universe is massive, as anyone would know if they read the books or collected the models. I've only replayed the Call of Duty's about once or twice, and I've owned every one since Modern Warfare, so if it weren't for the multiplayer then it would have been a big waste of money (Infact Modern Warfare 3 was a waste of monay). I enjoy Bioshock and Left For Dead also, but replaying Left for Dead does get tiresome, hence the other modes.

But I have to say, that the game I always have the urge to play is Dynasty Warriors. It's just a well made, all rounded game!

1 person liked this | ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

snk vs capcom match of the millineum

n64:

super smash bros 64

pokemon stadium 2

wii:

goldeneye reloaded

You have an extremely privilaged life to own all of those.

The Last Remnant

Now that I have SSD, change to Battle Mode only take 10 seconds (when I HDD WDC Black, it take 52 seconds)

My top replayed games

Riddick escape from butcher bay- 3x

Hitman blood money- 3x

Metro 2033- 4x

Alice madness returns- 2x

Crysis2- 2x

Alone in the dark 5 -2x

Incomplete and in random order:

Deus Ex and Deus Ex IW (probably will play Deus Ex HR again)

Ultima 9

Mass Effect

System Shock 1 & 2

Thief 3

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Half Life Opposing Force

Half Life 2

Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

Why, well in case of Kotor, it was the light side / dark side thing. In other cases, just the fact I liked them so much.

Khanonate said:

Master of Orion (MOO)

StarCraft

WarCraft

HALO

L4D2

Currently playing D3, trying to find a "good" Legendary item.

veLa veLa said:

Halo 1 & 2

Half-Life, the entire series

FEAR (only the original)

Metro 2033

Portal 1

Crysis

Mass Effect

Oblivion

rvnwlfdroid said:

There are a number of games that I like to go back to. Although most of them I only replay the first few hours. Those would be any of the Zelda, Final Fantasy, Super Mario series. I even like to go back to some of the old Intellivision games. All in all it's just nostalgia that brings me back to those games. I just don't have the time to dedicate to that much game play anymore.

Scshadow said:

The #1 series of games I've replayed the most is Ratchet and Clank. I'm pretty sure I beat the ps2 games like 10 times each or more excluding deadlocked. The PS3 iterations not as much but several still. I replay the Final Fantasy games 2-3 times each over time. FFXIII I've replayed about 5 times including an NCU(well I haven't finished that one yet but its hella fun). Jak and daxter games have had several replays as well. I'd replay uncharted at some point but I just recently played all 3 to platinum(Which requires 2 play throughs but since it was for the platinum I sorta don't count it.)

KbloodyK KbloodyK said:

Borderlands (my favourite game ever) Saints row 2, GTA San Andreas, Saints Row the Third, Forza Four, and last but not least, I have played The force unleashed more then once.

All good games!

-The KbloodyK

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

Hitman: Blood money...that was an amazing game!