Bill Gates gives Windows 8 his stamp of approval

By on September 28, 2012, 9:00 AM

Microsoft’s most famous face has given Windows 8 his stamp of approval. During a recent interview with the Associated Press to discuss the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s participation in a global mission to end polio, Bill Gates made a few comments about Microsoft’s upcoming operating system.

Gates told the AP he is already using Windows 8 and is very pleased with it. Unsurprisingly, the co-founder of Microsoft believes Windows 8 will be a big deal partly because hardware partners are doing “great things” to take advantage of the OS' new features.

We’re less than a month away from what will be one of Microsoft’s biggest overhauls of Windows ever. Most expect the operating system to be pivotal in deciding the future of personal computers as smartphones and tablets continue to overshadow the tried and true PC.

Of course, Microsoft is prepared should personal computers continue their downward spiral. Versions of the operating system will additionally be shipping on tablets and smartphones come October 26. It's an important step as the Windows & Windows Live division represented 27 percent of the company’s revenue in 2011. But as the numbers indicate, it’s not all about their legendary operating system these days.

The company has been diversifying their product line to include much more than software. Their gaming division is anchored by the industry-leading Xbox 360 gaming console which just so happens to be developing into a major media hub in living rooms across the world. Redmond also makes a decent profit by supplying computer services to businesses and corporations.

Either way, there's no denying that there will be a lot of pressure on Microsoft to deliver big in the next several months.

ramonsterns said:

"Unsurprisingly, the co-founder of Microsoft believes Windows 8 will be a big deal partly because hardware partners are doing ?great things? to take advantage of the OS' new features.

HAHA, oh wow. Oh jeez. Hold on let me catch my brea-

"Their gaming division is anchored by the industry-leading Xbox 360 gaming console which just so happens to be developing into a major media hub in living rooms across the world."

PFFFBT HAAAHAHAHA OH, OH JEEZ. Oh my sides hurt so bad.

10/10 joke, would laugh again.

Basically everyone else has been saying Windows 8 is terrible, and suddenly Mr. Gates comes out and says, "NAH GUYS, IT JUST FINE, TRUST ME".

1 person liked this | Rage_3K_Moiz Rage_3K_Moiz, Sith Lord, said:

I'm using the Enterprise version, and it isn't terrible to be honest; it just incorporates a major paradigm shift that'll take some time to be accepted.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

ramonsterns, are you a fanboy by any chance?

Been using Windows 8 myself for the past few weeks and it is very good. Have a copy installed on my main computer and 2 laptops, no issue and everything working great. It take a bit of time to get use to the new UI but when you do it is pretty good. I hate people that wants new version of OS but absolutly dont want anything to change. It is like when people went from XP to Windows 7, most people compained about the new UI ;)

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

Love the ' PC downward spiral ' comment in conjunction with a new OS that reeks on a PC.. almost like they are trying to engineer the demise of said PC's..

(tinfoil hat on)

Lionvibez said:

ramonsterns, are you a fanboy by any chance?

lol it laughable that you are comparing the XP desktop vs win 7 destop vs Metro.

XP and win 7 actually have interfaces that makes sense on a desktop computer.

So its apples vs apples vs oranges.

Lionvibez said:

(tinfoil hat on)

They have been saying PC's have been dying for last 10 years.Its non sense, and because of bunch of noobs think they can actually do work on a Iphone or an Ipad doesn't mean anything.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

...and this means what exactly?

I was trying to stop my dog from humping a girl passing buy. It was engaging. At least I knew the meaning of it, I could understand the dog very well on this one...

2 people like this | Vicenarian said:

Points:

- Touchscreen devices are becoming more and more popular. Part of running a successful business is adapting to new trends in hardware/software design, and consumer buying patterns. Look at all the smartphones/tablets in people's hands these days. Windows 8 utilizes this. There will come a day when the "Personal Computer" can be ultimately replaced by a portable device, even if that device has to be docked/connected to a larger screen, keyboards, peripherals, etc.... Microsoft knows this and is (wisely) moving in this direction.

- Windows 8's kernel/core software runs BETTER than Windows 7's! It's faster, lighter, better. Sure, there will be a few kinks to work out, but there were likewise introductory difficulties with Windows Vista/7. With a change in the operating system's kernel/foundation, also comes the possibility of incompatibilities with older software/technologies. That's life. People complained to no end about UAC when Vista debuted, but most people running Win7 today don't even notice it. It adds needed security. Case in point.

- Windows 8's introduces new features such as "Refresh" and "Reset", which both look to be very useful for both novice and experienced computer users.

- Windows 8's "Metro" interface isn't really that hard to use (if you take 10 minutes to read up on it), and the new Explorer ribbon interface (et al) is actually very useful/productive. I like it. Office 2007 started the trend, and every though everybody whined when it first came out, most people can't live without the Ribbon interface now.

So, in essence, we may not like 'change', but that doesn't mean all change is bad. Sure, I think MS should offer a 'classic' shell for Windows 8, for those that like it. But even if they don't, third-party companies are already offering replacement Start menus, etc.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

...it just incorporates a major paradigm shift that'll take some time to be accepted.

OR NOT!

EEatGDL said:

System overall, W8 is better than 7; except that I don't and think after a month of using the W8 RTM I won't like ever the "Modern UI" - waiting for a SP1 that brings back the Start button or else I stay with W7.

Now, about the article... who's this guy to approve a new Microsoft product when he approved Vista and said mostly the same thing back then? [and Windows 95, Me, 2000 -with 4 service packs, XP...]

3DCGMODELER 3DCGMODELER said:

(tinfoil hat on)

They will never Die, Ok, Servers are PC's, daaa YA Think... hmmm

Desktop PC's Will Keep on Going, Because you have hard core Gamers, Hardcore Programmers, Modelers and Aniamation People, that make all the video's, You need reall Horsepower to do alot of things.

So PC's will not go away, Ever....

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

I really like some of the features Win8 brings. Like the "Refresh" and "Reset", and how its supposed to run better than Win7. I just don't know if I'm sold onthe UI yet. I honestly haven't used it. Have the RTM downloaded, just never installed it on anything :P.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

"- Windows 8's "Metro" interface isn't really that hard to use (if you take 10 minutes to read up on it),"

That is part of the problem. If I am going from Win 7 to Win 8, I should be able to do so without having to read a bunch of stuff

jwmcafee1970 jwmcafee1970 said:

I totally agree....I also enjoy W8 over Win7. The speed of it is great. As for the waiting for the Start Button to return, just download "Classic Shell". Solves all problems for people who miss the Start Button. You can even disable active corners if you wish.

It's a shame so many people have decided to hate on Win8 no matter what. I hate to see the PC arena splintering.

It's all a lie, he probably booted it up once and said wtf is this junk then uninstalled it, then said yes it was amazing because he's a stock holder.

Usually the masses hate change, but change is good, I dont want to see the same windows UI for another 10 years and hold progress just to keep you happy.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

Bill Gates, please tell the Microsoft team to install a start button for desktops.

Jay Pfoutz Jay Pfoutz, Malware Helper, said:

Microsoft's most famous face has given Windows 8 his stamp of approval.

Yeah...he may, but Intel doesn't. Proof of concept may be blinded, but who knows who to trust anymore?

Stephen Rice Stephen Rice said:

And I suppose that you don't check a manual to find all the controls when you get a new car either?

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

What about the classic powershell that jwmcafee1970 mentioned >_>

2 people like this | LinkedKube LinkedKube, TechSpot Project Baby, said:

(tinfoil hat on)

ramonsterns, are you a fanboy by any chance?

XP and win 7 actually have interfaces that makes sense on a desktop computer.

So its apples vs apples vs oranges.

You should relax a little. People thought the world was flat once. Then realized how dumb they really were when it came to new ideas.

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

People keep saying the personal computer will be phased out soon but I've doing builds since Windows 3.1 and thats what they said then. Small devices will never give you the performance or ability of a desktop PC because a smartphone is nothing more then slow computer, shrinked and dialed in to do certain things.

By the time they fit GTX 680 power into a smartphone, a personal computer will be running a GTX 1100 or something MUCH MUCH more powerful.

People like having thier own printers and full out keyboards, amoung other things.

I'm 28 and I don't see the PC going way in my lifetime. Just my 02.

I love my Droid 4. But its not posting up a a P9419 3DMark11 anytime soon.

And small screens drive me crazy! Take me away from my 30" 1600p and I start to cry.

Lionvibez said:

(tinfoil hat on)

ramonsterns, are you a fanboy by any chance?

XP and win 7 actually have interfaces that makes sense on a desktop computer.

So its apples vs apples vs oranges.

LMAO what does the world not being flat have anything do to with using a computer and windows desktops?

Hey some people still think elvis, tupac and bigger are live!

1 person liked this | Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

99.999% of new cars have the same basic functionality as a car made in the 20s or 30s. Win 8 equates to putting the steering wheel in the trunk.

EEatGDL said:

Dude, I think you're exagerating way to much. 20s, 30s cars didn't have onboard computers, visual warnings, a link of your cellphone to the car through bluetooth, cars with navigation... I don't mean all have, but not even cars of the same year have the same functions and equipment. Haven't think of a W8-car analogy yet but I'm sure is something more "sutile", even when is a 'major' change in that sense I think it would be like a car with a touchscreen where the stereo usually is and you had to pay attention to the screen instead of learned movements to adjust thinks like the volume; we were just talking about that on a friend's new car about how bad idea and distracting it is to have a touchscreen with many sub-functions. I know, not accurate but is an example I could think right now; I mean, is not like they're getting rid of the system registry once and for all or any other major 'core' change, in the core besides the GUI is essentially still Windows and not any other variation of OS.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Still using the car analogy, The desktop formally known as "Metro" should have been an option, not part of the functionality. By forcing people to use "metro", it is like they took the steering wheel and put it in the trunk. Sure you may still be able to drive the car to an extent, but does it really make life any easier? Now I have to stop, re-evaluate how to drive a car, and retrain myself to drive it. The same goes for Win 8. Rather than hitting the ground with my feet running after installation, I, again, have to stop, learn all new ways to do things in Win 8, and retrain myself in those new ways.

Change does not equal innovation. Microsoft is just copying Apple's and Google's playbooks as much as I hate to say it. I'm not trying to get people not to buy it as much as it sounds like it. I'm just giving my personal views like everybody else. If you like it..buy it and enjoy. I just happen to think that Microsoft jumped the gun on this version as so not to look like they are out of touch. Windows is slowly becoming a proprietary OS like Mac OS with all these so-called new features.

EEatGDL said:

@DarkShadow I just say you exagerated with the 99.999%, I respect your opinion but you have accept you exagerated which is my starting point.

Sarcasm Sarcasm said:

I'm 28 and I don't see the PC going way in my lifetime. Just my 02.

I love my Droid 4. But its not posting up a a P9419 3DMark11 anytime soon.

I think the people who keep saying the PC market is going to die doesn't realize there will always be people like us who will prefer to do things on an actual computer in front of an actual screen and NOT on a 4-4.8" smart phone. Heck, there are even certain things that simply cannot be accomplished without a traditional desk top. For example I don't see a tablet or phone replacing my company computer which uses hundreds of excel files accessed hundreds of times daily by different engineers.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

You are right, I don't notice UAC because it is one of the first things I turn off.

1 person liked this | avoidz avoidz said:

Gee, and I thought Bill Gates would say he hated the latest version of Windows...

And I have UAC disabled in Windows 7, so, yeah, I don't notice it either.

Mr. Gates comes out and said windows 8 is a very exciting new product is just to make consumers to buy this (windows 8) and all related product with this also.

bmendonc said:

Win8 runs faster than win7 on my computer

is this normal?

vis12345 said:

As replies from Microsoft about the privacy of Windows 8, Microsoft doesn't give any guarantee for anything you do if you use any third-party apps, s/w, drivers or anything. And nowadays, the hackers are doing better. So once Windows 8 releases, it'll more difficult for people who use it.

I'll ask you simple but brainy QnA on Win8:

1. Whatever you do is cloud based and you store all your private information(like Win8 login email, its apps, etc) will be shared by you in various sites/installations. This creates loopholes to hackers & viruses to spread your info. And with all info on cloud, we'll be easily tracked by anyone(like US govt tracks on innocent citizens). Many of us use third-party s/w or apps, and MS says they can't help, when we use third-party on Win8. Are you ready to share everything(incl private) to the whole world.

Still MS didn't reply for the above Q and the below one too.

2. whether the email associated with Win8 will be taken for Validation/Activation?

I think Bill Gates is being used/pressured by MS to give a boost to Win8 sales.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Actually Metro is just a gateway to the actual functionality (performance - which you might have noticed, nobody is complaining about). If we are talking about cars, its more like changing the position of the gear stick from the steering column to the center console. You might accidentally reach for the steering column when you want to shift at first, but in a couple trips you'll start reaching for the center console. Maybe you'll still like the column shifter better, or maybe you'll like the new center console shifter better. Either way you'll adapt to it just fine. And then years later you'd have the same difficulties if you switch back to the steering column shifter.

I'd guarantee if we started with the Metro interface and switched to the regular start menu, everybody would be outraged at that just as much as they are with Metro.

P.S. - If you're having that much of a hard time coping, you can just get Linux too. You can set it up absolutely any way you want.

P.P.S. - Also, let's just pretend that "99.999% basic functionality" comment never happened.

Who else.. is doing this, other than Microsoft..?

From phone ~ surface/tablet ~ notebook ~ laptop ~ pc ~ OEM kiosks.. ..all same Operating System w/patented multi-touch displays, etc.. (??).

Secondly, my mother recently asked me about "an xerBox"..!

Then told me about how she can play game & share movies with her friends.

Obviously, she meant Xbox.. and she said it "was awsome" that she could move and "it" could see her.

Xbox + Kinect @ Cousin's house is what she (62) was all worked up about. Free-form developing for the kinect puts MS years ahead of any OS.

Solution to metro- classic shell

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Functionality does not equal performance. Functionality is getting something to work. A car has 4 wheels, engine, transmission, brakes, steering wheel, etc. These are the essential parts to make an automobile get from point A to point B and automobiles, since they were invented, have had these items in various forms to allow the car to operate. (Hence the 99.999% basic functionality) On-board computers, aerodynamic bodies, fuel injection were added to make the automobile perform more efficiently, get better gas mileage, etc. but, you do not need these items to have the automobile actually run.

Under the hood, Win 8 could be like performance sports car. I'm not disputing that point. How you interface with that car is the problem though. When you operate a car, you do not steer it in the direction you want with the gear shift. You use the steering wheel. Win 8 still has a steering wheel (metro) but is has changed so dramatically many individuals are actually going to waste time re-learning it's system. It is going to be counter-productive to all this so-called productivity Win 8 claims to happen when using the new interface.

Like I said before. If you want to use Win 8, more power to you. Enjoy it.

P.S. If you are having a tough time grasping the automobile analogy further, I can get a box of crayons and a piece of paper and draw it for better comprehension.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

And what do we call its ability to work as we want it to? Oh yeah - its performance.

Yeah counter productive for about 30 seconds before they figure it out. It isn't rocket science, its a pretty easy set up (even if you happen not to like it). If someone was having such a hard time figuring it out that they can't adjust to such a simplistic UI, they probably have bigger problems than Metro.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Just say that. But don't act like you have to solve a rubik's cube every time you want to open a folder.

Darkshadoe Darkshadoe said:

Functionality - the quality of being functional or operational.

Performance - the execution or accomplishment of work, acts, feats, etc.

Per the definitions, I think you just agreed with me so thanks.

"If what you really mean is that they are still here to drive you from point A to point B, I guess they are pretty similar. Mechanically though, just about every single component of the car has been drastically redesigned from when the car was first invented. In fact, your argument is more suited for why we should switch back to DOS."

My point is that every car since the invention of them is driven the same way. Hands on steering wheel, feet on pedals. A car is a car is a car. Windows has been practically the same way since Win 95. That is 17 years of using the same operating system the same way everyday and now they expect everyone in a few months time ,since it was previewed by the public, to just change how they use their computer because THEY think that they know best. That is pretty arrogant. If I have buy a third party program just to have the functionality I have been used to for 17 years, there is a definite design flaw.

"Yeah counter productive for about 30 seconds before they figure it out"

So you can guarantee that everyone in the world that adopts Win 8 can figure it out in 30 seconds? I'll take that bet. I'm not really much of a betting man, but I have a dollar that isn't doing anything.

"If you don't like it, that's fine. Just say that"

What I don't like is the UI. I got too frustrated in the few hours of messing with it to really evaluate anything else. Again, I'm not saying Win 8 is horrible overall. Just the UI. It was definitely not made for a desktop computer and more than Microsoft tends to think, there are millions of them still in use.

"But don't act like you have to solve a rubik's cube every time you want to open a folder."

Actually I found a Rubik's cube easier to solve.

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Functionality - the quality of being functional or operational.

Performance - the execution or accomplishment of work, acts, feats, etc.

Per the definitions, I think you just agreed with me so thanks.

"Yeah counter productive for about 30 seconds before they figure it out"

"If you don't like it, that's fine. Just say that"

Actually I found a Rubik's cube easier to solve.

*face palm*

ReederOnTheRun said:

"Exactly, I mean why can't these "innovators" just get that we should be getting new and revolutionary stuff that works the exact same as our old stuff! I mean all of these computers and gps's in cars, why do they have to complicate everything with "options" and "turn-by-turn directions"??? Clearly, if you have to learn how to use it, its not worth having. Apple has the right idea, just keep everything the same forever. If fact, lets just put a ban on inventing things right now. It's just too hard to learn."

The grievances I have against Windows 8 have absolutely nothing to do with suppressing innovation. They have to do with flipping expectations of a product completely upside down and expecting people not to react. That's what is hilarious about your argument. You don't radically alter a product that has been slowly refined over 17 years and then call it by the same name. I personally would never complain about having to learn the new Metro UI because the fact of the matter is, I don't have to, and I never will. I am sure the Metro UI is easy to learn but the question I ask myself is, why do I even want to? I don't. Why do I want to surrender my laser-precision mouse for greasy bulky fingers. Why would I want to sacrifice my ability to type 60+ words per minute on my full-size keyboard for an on-screen keyboard where the letters are so close together that when I attempt to hit one letter I end up hitting 3 or 4? Or if I were to use a regular desktop monitor, why do I want to close the distance between my eyes and my monitor. I can now sit a comfortable distance from my monitor screen. I keep at least 36" between my eyes and my monitor to prevent eyestrain and headaches. How am I going to do that if I have to swipe and snap the screen all day? I can't. Nobody's complaining about innovation, no one is trying to suppress it. Windows 8 misses the mark by such a huge distance that I don't even know where to begin. Repeat after me. Desktops NOT EQUAL TO tablets AND/OR cellphones. End of story.

*sigh* I guess love is blind. People who love new technology will find a way to love it no matter what anybody else says. Microsoft Windows 8 = fail!

How come Microsoft didn't just force cellphone users to start carrying around a keyboard and mouse? Probably cause they nobody would want to. Not sure why they couldn't see that desktop users don't sit 12" from their 27" monitors and swipe and snap and slobber all over their monitors.

@ReederOnTheRun:

"Functionality does not equal performance. Functionality is getting something to work"

Yes, I agree

"And what do we call its ability to work as we want it to? Oh yeah - its performance"

my advice, please learn more before you post comment.. do not mislead other with false information that seems right but it isn't. I see this kind of answer usually comes from a hot-headed kids who lost their temper.

ikesmasher said:

I dont want to see unnecessary change just to keep you happy.

Emexrulsier said:

Always remember 67.9% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

Teko03 said:

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If it takes 15 years to get something that looks better than Metro currently does, then so be it I will wait.

Tek03 said:

"A start button isn't going to bring back a start menu, the "metro" start screen is here to stay....deal with it. Enjoy using an EOL Windows 7 in 15 years...."

LOL. And you will still be using Windows 8 in 15 years, right? The 'lovers of change' will still be happy with Windows 8 in 15 years. Hilarious. More likely, you'll be kicking Windows 8 under the bus after 3 years of use just like you are doing to Windows 7 right now.

Also, whether the new gay Metro UI is here to stay or not will be determined by consumer demand for a touch interface on a desktop computer which I estimate will be a very very very very small set of people indeed. How many desktop users wants to sit 12" away from a 27" monitor 8 hours a day? That's how close you have to sit to be able to constantly swipe and snap the screen. I can't imagine how tired my arms would be if I had to use Windows 8 in a corporate environment, having to holds my arms up all day and swipe my fingers all over the screen instead of simply resting my hands on a desk in comfort. Windows 8 for business = fail.

Consumer demand will dictate whether or not Windows 8 succeeds, not a couple of fan boys who get all giddy over ever new operating system released, whether that new OS makes good sense, or it's whacked out.