Samsung expected to unveil Galaxy S III Mini on October 11

By on October 3, 2012, 8:30 AM

The latest trend in smartphones tells us that bigger is better but naturally, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s correct or the perfect fit for everyone. Case in point is Samsung’s Galaxy S III – a wildly successful smartphone in its own right but with a screen size of 4.8-inches, several consumers with small hands may feel it’s simply too large to handle comfortably.

That’s where the latest rumor enters the room. Unwired View has gained possession of a Samsung media invite for an event on October 11. According to translation from the publication, the invite reads that “something small will be really big” and we should “get ready for a little sensation.” There’s no teaser photo accompanying the invite but astute viewers may have noticed the stylized “S” in the center of the invite – the same “S” that is used to signify Samsung’s Galaxy S line.

The general consensus is that we may finally see the long-rumored Galaxy S III Mini. Previous rumors have pegged this device as being very similar to the original in shape and form factor but perhaps including a smaller 4-inch display operating at 480 x 800 resolution, an unnamed dual-core processor and a 5-megapixel rear camera - all running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.

A Galaxy S III Mini makes sense based on the media invite. The fact that Samsung is going through the trouble to host an event likely indicates something of significance.  But at this point, it’s anybody’s guess as to what we will see next week. At the very least, it’s a pretty safe bet that Samsung will unveil some sort of Galaxy “S” device, whether it’s the Mini or something else completely new.




User Comments: 11

Got something to say? Post a comment
jizzyburnizzy said:

Patiently waiting for S4

treeski treeski said:

Slightly off topic, but what's the deal with the 'S' part of the phone?

Anyone else thing they're better off just calling it the Galaxy III and the Galaxy III Mini?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

That's just gross!

I'm still looking for a good phone in the 3.5"-3.7" size range. Though frankly going back to my Nokia 6120C feels good, and I'm not sure I need a new smartphone. The Nokia just fits better in the pocket, is quicker to respond and I enjoyed the games on it more than on my Android phone.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

That's just gross!

I'm still looking for a good phone in the 3.5"-3.7" size range. Though frankly going back to my Nokia 6120C feels good, and I'm not sure I need a new smartphone. The Nokia just fits better in the pocket, is quicker to respond and I enjoyed the games on it more than on my Android phone.

Personally I think that smartphones are over rated, I use a Nokia C2, and although people say it's a brick, at least I can drop it without the screen cracking which is very common with Apple.

Guest said:

Before reach to the market, Samsung should check whether this product is patent-infringement-proof or not :D

ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

Before reach to the market, Samsung should check whether this product is patent-infringement-proof or not

I'm calling it:

Lawsuit 1: Using the word "mini"

Lawsuit 2: Making smaller versions of existing products

dennis777 dennis777 said:

Dual core???? they should have make the same specs and a smaller screen.. sheesh

Guest said:

Is quad core even necessary? and by using a duel core it will also bring the price down... witch is a good thing, since they are obviously aiming for a more entry level approach

Guest said:

"Is quad core even necessary?"

of course, yes! because it will boost performance, err.. I mean boost market sales

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Personally I think that smartphones are over rated, I use a Nokia C2, and although people say it's a brick, at least I can drop it without the screen cracking which is very common with Apple.

My Android phone is a Motorola Defy, and it can survive quite a bit of abuse, probably more than my Nokia, but it's still bigger plus it occasionally freezes and has a sound problem (people often hear an echo when talking to me) which is why I switched back to the Nokia. I imagine that a new phone (even a Defy+) would have fewer problems, but it would still be bigger than the Nokia, and it's quite difficult to find a well specced Android phone which isn't huge.

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

My Android phone is a Motorola Defy, and it can survive quite a bit of abuse, probably more than my Nokia, but it's still bigger plus it occasionally freezes and has a sound problem (people often hear an echo when talking to me) which is why I switched back to the Nokia. I imagine that a new phone (even a Defy+) would have fewer problems, but it would still be bigger than the Nokia, and it's quite difficult to find a well specced Android phone which isn't huge.

Aye, that be true. Personally I like keeping all of my things seperate, I wouldn't want a 64GB Iphone, I'd like a simple MP3 player with expandable data storage and a reliable phone. Which I do I have a Sans Clip 8GB with my Nokia C2, and a 32GB microSDHC card, which is compatible with both, and it saves me £600 :P

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.