Razer asks gamers if they want Project Fiona to become a reality

By on October 4, 2012, 11:00 AM

Update: Razer has now confirmed Project Fiona was given the green light after reaching its goal of 10,000 Likes/Shares on Facebook. The company will soon begin asking for customer feedback on what the final version of the device should look like, including specs, form factor, pricing, and features.

Razer unveiled their gaming tablet concept at CES early this year under the codename Project Fiona. The idea sparked a great deal of feedback from the gaming community (both in favor of and against) but we haven’t heard much about it since January. That all changed yesterday as Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan took to Facebook to gauge the level of interest in such a device before the team moves any further in the design process.

Tan says Razer has been working on the project since CES and have since narrowed down some key concepts and designs. He goes on to issue a challenge to fans of Project Fiona: if his Facebook post gets 10,000 or more likes / shares in the next seven days, the team will move forward with the concept and make it a reality.

Furthermore, Razer’s chief wants to showcase some of the high-level concepts in an effort to get feedback from gamers. The company will be open to taking suggestions regarding design, hardware specifications, form factor, features and even pricing. Tan closes the post by reiterating Razer’s philosophy – For Gamers. By Gamers.

Based on these conditions, it looks like Project Fiona is well on its way to becoming a reality. As of writing, his post has over 9,500 likes with another six days left in the campaign. It’s likely a lock that the gaming tablet will use an Intel Ivy Bridge processor running Windows 8 but we still don’t know what Razer has in store for the GPU. I can’t help but think that Project Fiona would need something more than integrated Intel HD graphics for it to be considered a serious portable gaming machine.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Not sure why but I keep thinking of piņa colada everytime I see FIona lol

1 person liked this | aMerkuri aMerkuri said:

Not sure why but I keep thinking of piņa colada everytime I see FIona lol

Princess Fiona from Shrek

NoNamesLeft said:

Oh look, its a Wii-U

Gareis Gareis said:

Just passed 10,000 likes.

I'm honestly indifferent.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

Only if it has android or some other linux or something with a fantastic amount of software support, and preferibbly if the controller was detachable/retractable

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I'm with you, @ikesmasher... The modularity of the system is my key interest, and it was my first thought when I saw it introduced at CES. If you can remove the tablet from the gaming apparatus, I'd be willing to give it a good look. If you are stuck with that bulky and awkward package at all times, you take away much of the "mobility" benefit, which then would leave Fiona as just an overpriced gaming tablet (and would make the WikiPad look good in comparison).

WTF? with android/linux way to go with under utilizing its performance.

it is made for windows 8, and will run PC games through it but with the joystick.

it looks really nice, but I cant say yes or no because I dont have spec sheet. any good concept with bad specs fail, unless im getting an assurance of 660 and up im not gonna vote for it.

Yes vrmithrax the joysticks are detachable.

Ravey Ravey said:

Will this be a stand alone portable gaming console? So If I buy a game for my pc I will also have to buy it for this device?

Or will I be able to link the device to my steam account so I can play games I have already purchased via Steam?

Panda218 Panda218 said:

I think Razer should just stick to making PC accessories instead of trying to create a new gaming platform.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Yes vrmithrax the joysticks are detachable.

And you know this how exactly? If you look at Razer's site, or saw it at CES, you would see that the controllers are mounted on a solid frame that is integrated directly through the middle of the tablet. There is nowhere in any of Razer's videos, pics, or spec details that indicates in any way that they are removable controls. Granted, I haven't dug into their forums or facebook posts, but if you have some source links confirming that the controllers can be detached, I'd love to see them.

I don't think a tablet for gaming will work at all, not sure if it will ever work but right now, I don't think so.