PlayMG's handheld Android gaming device goes on pre-order for $149

By on October 17, 2012, 1:00 PM

A startup called PlayMG has announced the imminent release of a dedicated Android gaming handset they are calling the MG. The device features full access to Google Play in a lightweight package that won’t break the budget.

The MG comes packed with a single-core 1GHz Cortex A5 processor, 1GB of system RAM, a 4-inch touchscreen display coated in Gorilla Glass and a 1.3-megapixel front-facing camera used for facial recognition features. There’s 4GB of internal storage but an included 8GB microSD card bumps that up to 12GB total. If you need more space, simply swap out the 8GB card for something with more capacity.

The system ships with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and a number of pre-installed titles. An 1,880mAh battery is reportedly good for up to 3.75 hours of play time and more than five days of stand-by. PlayMG says the device is lighter than a standard Android handset due to the fact that it lacks mobile phone internals.

A dedicated Android handheld might seem a bit redundant if you already own a capable Google-powered smartphone but there is at least one target market where the MG could fit right in.

If you have kids, this could make a great stocking-stuffer with the holidays fast approaching. I’ve personally seen many parents simply hand their high-end smartphone off to a toddler or small child to play with then seem shocked that it’s broken moments later. There’s no way to tell how durable the MG is without field testing it first but at just $149 ($169 after November 4 when it ships), it would be far cheaper to replace than a Galaxy S III or an iPhone 5.

The Android gaming device also makes a nice alternative to other portable game systems like the PlayStation Vita or Nintendo’s 3DS. Serious gamers will likely pass on the MG considering its low-power single core processor and the fact they probably already own a mobile phone with beefier internals.

TechMancer TechMancer said:

That's cheaper than I heard it was going to be. But is it a touch-screen device or does it have key buttons? That makes all the difference, because some games are harder to play with touch-screen capability.

ghasmanjr ghasmanjr said:

I don't understand why parents pass of their smartphones to kids. I would NEVER give my 4s to a kid, let alone buy them an android device as a stocking stuffer. In my day, stocking stuffers were things like candy or a music cd. Times have changed...

TechMancer TechMancer said:

I don't understand why parents pass of their smartphones to kids. I would NEVER give my 4s to a kid, let alone buy them an android device as a stocking stuffer. In my day, stocking stuffers were things like candy or a music CD. Times have changed...

How true. My 3 year old cousin plays with his aunt's iPad daily. And every time I go to a restaurant, I see TODDLERS playing on iPhones. P*sses the heck out of me.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

I was thinking the same thing. Heck if it had buttons I wouldn't mind buying it for myself. But it doesn't so it leaves something to be desired.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Technology is a good distraction to keep younger kids busy until it gets broken :|

How does this compare with the upcoming Archos Gamepad?

[link]

dawei1993 said:

Am I the only one thinking this is useless?

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Guest who wants a comparison to the Archos, I'm not sure why you can't do it yourself based on the data here and on that link, but to sum it up (based on only these data) the Archos has a 7" screen (probably higher res) and physical controls, and a much faster processor. (You can watch a video of the Archos here: [link]

ET3D, TechSpot Paladin, said:

By the way, thanks for the Archos link. I'll be waiting for more details about it.

The MG looks to me like it's aimed at kids who normally play on their parents' phone. One of the features shown in the video is a control app letting parents see exactly what their kid has downloaded and played. I think it's a decent device for this target market, but for people who want a gaming device for themselves it won't be worth buying.

PC nerd PC nerd said:

I can't play vidya on a touch screen. It's horrible. Buttons>touch screen

TechMancer TechMancer said:

What if it had buttons, and you could have an option in the settings menu to have a touch-screen mode? Expensive it may be, but it could sell more.

MGmoregame MGmoregame said:

Yes, it's touch-screen.

WaveZero said:

A single core for games hahaha, well I guess it's still better than some budget smart phones...