Microsoft won't release Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

By on October 24, 2012, 3:00 PM

The engineering team responsible for building and releasing service packs has reportedly been told there won’t be another service pack for Windows 7. It marks the first time in multiple releases that Microsoft won’t be issuing a second major update.

If you recall, Windows XP received three service packs during its run while Vista scored two major bundles. It’s unclear at this hour why Microsoft isn’t planning a second service pack but it doesn’t take a genius to make an educated guess.

Windows 7 was due for a second service pack any day now. Service packs are reportedly a pain for Microsoft to produce because they require a lot of time and effort to build. With Windows 8 primed for release, it seems as though Microsoft wanted to have everyone working on the new OS rather than lingering around on an older project.

The decision to move forward makes sense but Windows 7 faithful likely won’t be amused. Service packs combine dozens, or even hundreds of individual updates into a single package that’s easy to install. Having to apply each update individually is a time-consuming affair that typically requires multiple reboots and administrator attention.

Some also believe that the decision to skip a second service pack could be a subtle hint to push users towards adopting Windows 8 earlier than they might otherwise have.

Redmond will likely continue to issue individual updates on a regular basis as usual until the operating system reaches end-of-life status.

3 people like this | Lionvibez said:

FU ms we all know this because of windows 8

2 people like this | veLa veLa said:

Bad move. Shows a lack of care for the customers.

I think Microsoft should release a new SP just because of all updates that need to be installed after service pack 1.

5 people like this |
Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

I could not have said it better myself Lionvibez!

Windows NT4 SP6a (Plus Security Rollup Pack 1)

Windows 2000 SP4 (Plus Security Rollup Package 1 which was supposed to be SP5)

Windows XP SP3

Windows Vista SP2

Windows 7 SP1

Anyone else beginning to see a pattern forming?

Yea, **** you Microsoft!

The service packs are one of the real advantages of Windows, all those hundreds of Windows Updates bundled into one package that can also be slipstreamed into the Windows installation CD or DVD easily thus creating a up to date system on the first fresh install from said media.

This company is going downhill fast, they could not be doing a better job at pissing off their true customers.

2 people like this | JC713 JC713 said:

This is a bad move... Windows 7 is their most successful OS... not to mention they still produce updates for XP... this is seriously a bad move.

mattfrompa mattfrompa said:

And I was just thinking how some of the better parts of 8 could possibly be included in 7 SP2...

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Amazing. Microsoft must truly want to destroy itself.

They know that releasing Windows 7 Service Pack 2 will prolong the life of Windows 7 for many many years to come.

However, I think what they miscalculated is that this would encourage people to upgrade to Windows 8 sooner rather later.

**NewsFlash** - With or without Service Pack 2 I will not be upgrading to your ***** tablet OS now more than ever. I have never seen Microsoft push so hard with such a blatant disregard for the people who have enabled them to do what they do now for the past 20 years. Way to bite the hand that has feed you for the past 2 decades *********!!!!!!

When I heard Gabe Newell talking about making the move to Linux with Steam. I thought good for them. Every next move Microsoft is making is just digging themselves deeper and deeper into a whole. Keep it up Microsoft. You will die soon.

This is complete ******** and I will NOT even be considering an upgrade to Windows 8 as a result of this. Time for me to start looking at the latest release of Ubunutu.

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

They have released service packs in the past from community pressure. Eg SQL Server 2005 SP4 iirc. Just need enough people on uservoice or something...

1 person liked this | howzz1854 said:

JC713 JC713 said:

I would agree with this decision only if Windows 8 was a refined Windows 7... the flattened interface of Windows 8 is nice imo, and the improvements to things like the task manager and file transfers is really needed. I may upgrade to windows 8 just because there will be no service packs. just install pokki or start 8 and you are set.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

I see it as there isn't enough updates to bother with another SP too, howzz1854. But we could be wrong...

"I have a different point of view. I see win 7 as a more stable and secure platform compare to the past iterations, hence why Microsoft isn't rushing to making another service pack. then again, that's just my opinion. "

It's a nice opinion but not a very well thought out one, but that's just my "opinion". Microsoft is sweating right now because of all the feedback and outrage they have been getting with regards to Windows 8, that they are blatantly ignoring. They want to release this information sooner rather than later hoping to increase sales of Windows 8. They don't want people sitting around waiting for Service Pack 2 when they could be out purchasing their shitty new tablet OS for their desktop.

I have 222 installed updates on my Windows 7 machine and only one of them wasn't released by Microsoft.

Oh well, more Tech Support calls for Microsoft. Guess they want to keep their lines busy. :)

1 person liked this |
Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Howzz1854 & m4a4; Have you done a fresh install of Win7 SP1 lately and seen how many updates you need to download when you check for them on Windows Update?

And remember that list is for critical updates, hotfixes for bugs etc that are not critical are not included there, and many fixes are only available upon request from Microsoft.

These are what all go into a normal service pack!

JC713 JC713 said:

And businesses are never gonna move to windows 8... so they (MS) will be criticized by business's. I guess they dont want win 7 to be the new XP

captainawesome captainawesome said:

Yes I agree with that sentiment on principle but it's still very handy to have all the post-SP1 updates crammed into one neat thoroughly tested package.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Meh.

My Windows 7 machine still runs like a champ. I don't think 7 needs a Service Pack as much as earlier releases did. That's not to say MS should automatically get a pass, but considering how good Windows 8 is, people might as well upgrade. That is if the Start Screen is something you think you can get past.

Rasta211 said:

I bet the Windows 7 Service Pack 2 is included with Windows 8 somehow.

howzz1854 said:

windows XP had about 300 updates. if you wanna compare numbers.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Waaaaaaaaaaah.

Oh please, anything they add to Windows 7 would have to be taken from Windows 8 and that would make no sense. Just accept the fact that W7 is basically perfect and this is a major milestone for Microsoft.

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

...it's kind of funny that a lot of the W7 vs W8 arguments include, "I'm staying with W7", but now you want more? aye yi yi....

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Its the time learning Linux

desperado808 said:

This just downright sucks!!!

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Or less if you go with Windows 8!!!

1 person liked this | Relic Relic, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Dumb move by Microsoft, especially with the lukewarm W8 receptions I've seen so far. I expected at least one more SP to send off W7. This news will not push me more towards W8, if anything I'll stay away longer now.

1 person liked this | Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

They didn't release it because they want you to go buy windows 8, which I'm definitely not doing. So too bad Windows, but you should be happy, im not running out and buying an overpriced mac either.

3 people like this | Guest said:

"windows XP had about 300 updates. if you wanna compare numbers."

Okay, lets compare the numbers.

Windows XP RTM date - August 24th, 2001 -

Age of Operating System as of today - approximately 11 years and 2 months

Approximate number of updates averaged over the life of the operating system =

300/11 = ~27 updates per year

Windows 7 RTM date - July 22nd, 2009 -

Age of Operating System as of today - approximately 3 years and 3 months

Approximate number of updates per year averaged over the life of the operating system

222/3 = 74 updates per year

But this comment is just a distraction from the real issue at hand which is Microsoft's under handed tactics to coerce people into upgrading to Windows 8 by making it public knowledge that Windows 7 Service Pack 2 won't see daylight. It's pathetic really. Understandable from a business point of view in one sense. They want people to buy their products by touting how much better the new is versus the last generation. The problem is every time they succeed in making a better product they shoot themselves in the foot. Millions of people still using Windows XP and no intentions of upgrading. Millions of happy customers using Windows 7 and no intentions of upgrading.

So, going forward Microsoft has decided the only way they can get people to buy new products is by discontinuing support much faster than they have in the past. Good luck with this strategy, that's all I can say.

This will alienate small business' and corporations more than anyone. But as we can see from the people posting in this forum that would purchase a shiny new turd if it had "New and Improved" stamped on the box, Microsoft won't lose all of its customers. Hope there are enough of these early adopters to support a multi-billion dollar corporation who is giving it's biggest supporters the middle finger.

I have been bitching about this catastrophe called Windows 8 ever since I have known about it and I am just a desktop user. Can't imagine the backlash that will arise from corporations once this news becomes widespread. But I will enjoy following every minute of it. :)

1 person liked this | jmiles jmiles said:

I could not have said it better myself Lionvibez!

Windows NT4 SP6a (Plus Security Rollup Pack 1)

Windows 2000 SP4 (Plus Security Rollup Package 1 which was supposed to be SP5)

Windows XP SP3

Windows Vista SP2

Windows 7 SP1

Anyone else beginning to see a pattern forming?

Yea, **** you Microsoft!

Can anyone say, "Linux".

Emin3nce said:

It's just to push more people to their locked down and stupefied windows ERT (8).

2 people like this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Can anyone say, "Linux".

Very tempting, this long time Windows user is slowly but surely opening his ears to the name Linux. In fact I've been thinking about starting a thread and asking advice about running Linux in Virtual PC.

VitalyT VitalyT said:

MS lost its ground. They made many mistakes this year, of which the top ones are:

1. Screwing up its own OEM-s, starting with HP and ending with Nokia;

2. Removing Start menu in Windows 8;

3. Disastrous VS 2012;

4. Windows 8 RT laptops won't sell, and will likely cost MS for misinforming the customers on it;

Refusal of Windows 7 Sp2 just adds to the list.

I personally seriously consider dumping MS in favor of an alternative.

MS truly have stuck their heads in the sand. This new model and OS will probably be OK for home users, but every time we have an IT management system about Windows 8/ Windows Server 2012 and now this news about service packs, we are left shaking our heads. Don't alienate the corporate/business worlds MS....it'll be all you have soon.

I think the goal is not to kill off Windows 7, but to instead kill off the desktop as a platform, locking you into an app store, while they all chase after the IPad wannabe pipedream, in charge of all content.

Linux, whilst good and all, is not really an option for the average joe. And as computing has always shown from the long line of dead platforms, that people do not give a rats about what's in the box as long as it runs the software that people want. Linux doesn't do that.

Windows 8 is clumsy on the desktop and has no place there.

Solution : Stay with Windows 7 SP1 and get yourself a hardware firewall for when the patches run out.

tonylukac said:

Based on the answers to the article about what you have pinned to the taskbar, noone said they never adopted windows 7 and you must all be pretty angry. I thought people were still on xp. I never adopted windows 7, because my budget just doesn't allow shelling out $150 minimum for a new os every 2 1/2 years. I might be adopting windows 8 on one non-touch computer, but microsoft doesn't give out free software any more without Gates.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

Linux, here I come!

Tanstar said:

I only paid $90 for Win7. I had XP 32 and needed a 64 architecture so I could up my RAM anyway. It's not crazy different from XP (like Win8 is) but is definitely a nice step-up.

[link]

jmiles jmiles said:

Actually there is a great alternative to VMWare as well and it's open source. Oracle VM VirtualBox is one of Oracles best kept secrets and yes, it will run from most modern Os's hosting; LINUX/UNIX, OS2 and Windows XP, NT4 and 2000. Windows Vista and 7 (all versions) and I ran a prototype of Google Linux and ran Windows 8 CR although I was forced to apologize later :D

Razer said:

Oh my, they force us to buy their win8!!

QuaZulu QuaZulu said:

Ha! Microsoft can?t bludgeon me into 8?and if their current attitude continues, I won?t do 9 or beyond either.

I also thought it was because of how stable Win7 actually is. Of course there is a better reasoning of having a SP2 just because all the updates that follow after SP1, but they are not that many compared to the XP's or Vista's. Is not a lifesaving decision. It simply helps the tedious tasks of having a "fresh install", which Win7 doesn't really need as its previous counterparts did, or at least not every so often (unless you really screw up your system, which most average users don't mess with). Is a valid point, and a strong one, for that matters, but it doesn't really make up for whinning about one last SP.

Microsoft may decide of releasing a SP2 later on, without giving any reasons to the public. Do you really believe they are "sweating" because of all the complaints about 8? MS is a huge company, and knows that -specially angry- flamming isn't the feedback they actually need.

Anyway, " that is just my opinion"... if that has any validation nowadays. :)

I personally hate this new Win8 version. It has its positive features over Win7, but the GUI is just messed up and makes it somehow non-tablet-unfriendly.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I think they have been so wrapped up in getting Windows 8 out and designing Windows 8 Touch, that they haven't had time to think about packaging Windows 7 updates into a Service Pack. Even if rumor is true, I also happen to think that demand will give us Service Pack 2 whether Microsoft want to publish it or not.

Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

Lol I love it, MS has so much confidence in it's products they are destroying their customer base to prove it. Between Apple and MS it feels like there is a paradigm shift on the way.

dawei1993 said:

Wtf is microsoft thinking..... They knew there are thousands if not millions of windows 7 lovers.. this sucks.

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wow, what a bad move from Microsoft.

They certainly wont be forcing me into Windows 8 using this strategy, or any other sane person for that matter.

treetops treetops said:

Well I'm done with windows, why would I buy win8 if they stop supporting it after 3 years. Ill grab linux or unix w.e the modern one is. I like windows 7 but come on....

Then there is the no start button thing, there is no space on my desktop that I value more then that little button. New is ok but dont force us into it by ripping out the start button. Its like a door knob or light switch, they work just fine the way they are geeze.

Instead of a single hand size knob we will no longer make houses with knobs now all doors have 2 squares you must simultaneously turn er something to that effect. Can we also have the old knobs on there? no!

Im guessing someone is gonna say oh you can download xx and get the start button back any second neow.

I'm on XP, but won't buy neither 7 or 8. Ubuntu will be my next OS.

Kneep said:

EASY now, there's a simple fix for this, find and download a recent image of it with all the updates rolled up into it Simple fix for us tech's, so/and I agree that MS made a STUPID here by not/never providing a SP with at least all the updates rolled up into one for download via Windows Update. (but seriously, how hard could it be, if any joe blow can do it, I doubt they'd need more than one or two persons at the campus to do this.

As mentioned this is Microsoft's way of forcing an issue on it's customers, instead of listening to what customers want and delievering it. This just makes people get defensive and rebellious, nice move Microsoft.

On the business side, we will be sticking with Windows 7 for the forseeable future. On the home front I have been making the move to Ubuntu Linux though I still have a Windows 7 machine. Once Steam releases a Linux client, that could be the end of Windows on the home front.

For people who want to try out Linux, I recommend Ubuntu or Mint (based on Ubuntu). Of course there are many distrobutions but these two seem to be the best for the begining Linux user. You can always play around with the Live CD first.

jizzyburnizzy said:

What about all the business customers that run windows 7 and wont upgrade to windows 8?

Reginold Reginold said:

I think Microsoft is right. We are not living in Windows NT era. We all have fast internet connection to download the patches. Even small companies with one server deploy WSUS to push updates, clients machines need not even connect to internet to apply patches.

Pan Wah said:

This seems reasonable, phased reduction of support for the old OS(7) when loads of folks dislike the replacement(8) = more Linux/Mac users, which is fine.