Microsoft won't release Service Pack 2 for Windows 7

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The engineering team responsible for building and releasing service packs has reportedly been told there won’t be another service pack for Windows 7. It marks the first time in multiple releases that Microsoft won’t be issuing a second major update.

If you recall, Windows XP received three service packs during its run while Vista scored two major bundles. It’s unclear at this hour why Microsoft isn’t planning a second service pack but it doesn’t take a genius to make an educated guess.

Windows 7 was due for a second service pack any day now. Service packs are reportedly a pain for Microsoft to produce because they require a lot of time and effort to build. With Windows 8 primed for release, it seems as though Microsoft wanted to have everyone working on the new OS rather than lingering around on an older project.

The decision to move forward makes sense but Windows 7 faithful likely won’t be amused. Service packs combine dozens, or even hundreds of individual updates into a single package that’s easy to install. Having to apply each update individually is a time-consuming affair that typically requires multiple reboots and administrator attention.

Some also believe that the decision to skip a second service pack could be a subtle hint to push users towards adopting Windows 8 earlier than they might otherwise have.

Redmond will likely continue to issue individual updates on a regular basis as usual until the operating system reaches end-of-life status.

Permalink to story.

I think Microsoft should release a new SP just because of all updates that need to be installed after service pack 1.

I could not have said it better myself Lionvibez!

Windows NT4 SP6a (Plus Security Rollup Pack 1)
Windows 2000 SP4 (Plus Security Rollup Package 1 which was supposed to be SP5)
Windows XP SP3
Windows Vista SP2
Windows 7 SP1

Anyone else beginning to see a pattern forming?
Yea, **** you Microsoft!
The service packs are one of the real advantages of Windows, all those hundreds of Windows Updates bundled into one package that can also be slipstreamed into the Windows installation CD or DVD easily thus creating a up to date system on the first fresh install from said media.
This company is going downhill fast, they could not be doing a better job at pissing off their true customers.

Amazing. Microsoft must truly want to destroy itself.

They know that releasing Windows 7 Service Pack 2 will prolong the life of Windows 7 for many many years to come.

However, I think what they miscalculated is that this would encourage people to upgrade to Windows 8 sooner rather later.

**NewsFlash** - With or without Service Pack 2 I will not be upgrading to your ***** tablet OS now more than ever. I have never seen Microsoft push so hard with such a blatant disregard for the people who have enabled them to do what they do now for the past 20 years. Way to bite the hand that has feed you for the past 2 decades *********!!!!!!

When I heard Gabe Newell talking about making the move to Linux with Steam. I thought good for them. Every next move Microsoft is making is just digging themselves deeper and deeper into a whole. Keep it up Microsoft. You will die soon.

This is complete ******** and I will NOT even be considering an upgrade to Windows 8 as a result of this. Time for me to start looking at the latest release of Ubunutu.

They have released service packs in the past from community pressure. Eg SQL Server 2005 SP4 iirc. Just need enough people on uservoice or something...

I have a different point of view. I see win 7 as a more stable and secure platform compare to the past iterations, hence why Microsoft isn't rushing to making another service pack. then again, that's just my opinion.

I would agree with this decision only if Windows 8 was a refined Windows 7... the flattened interface of Windows 8 is nice imo, and the improvements to things like the task manager and file transfers is really needed. I may upgrade to windows 8 just because there will be no service packs. just install pokki or start 8 and you are set.

"I have a different point of view. I see win 7 as a more stable and secure platform compare to the past iterations, hence why Microsoft isn't rushing to making another service pack. then again, that's just my opinion. "

It's a nice opinion but not a very well thought out one, but that's just my "opinion". Microsoft is sweating right now because of all the feedback and outrage they have been getting with regards to Windows 8, that they are blatantly ignoring. They want to release this information sooner rather than later hoping to increase sales of Windows 8. They don't want people sitting around waiting for Service Pack 2 when they could be out purchasing their shitty new tablet OS for their desktop.

I have 222 installed updates on my Windows 7 machine and only one of them wasn't released by Microsoft.

Oh well, more Tech Support calls for Microsoft. Guess they want to keep their lines busy. :)

Howzz1854 & m4a4; Have you done a fresh install of Win7 SP1 lately and seen how many updates you need to download when you check for them on Windows Update?
And remember that list is for critical updates, hotfixes for bugs etc that are not critical are not included there, and many fixes are only available upon request from Microsoft.
These are what all go into a normal service pack!

And businesses are never gonna move to windows 8... so they (MS) will be criticized by business's. I guess they dont want win 7 to be the new XP

I have a different point of view. I see win 7 as a more stable and secure platform compare to the past iterations, hence why Microsoft isn't rushing to making another service pack. then again, that's just my opinion.
Yes I agree with that sentiment on principle but it's still very handy to have all the post-SP1 updates crammed into one neat thoroughly tested package.

Meh.

My Windows 7 machine still runs like a champ. I don't think 7 needs a Service Pack as much as earlier releases did. That's not to say MS should automatically get a pass, but considering how good Windows 8 is, people might as well upgrade. That is if the Start Screen is something you think you can get past.

"I have a different point of view. I see win 7 as a more stable and secure platform compare to the past iterations, hence why Microsoft isn't rushing to making another service pack. then again, that's just my opinion. "

It's a nice opinion but not a very well thought out one, but that's just my "opinion". Microsoft is sweating right now because of all the feedback and outrage they have been getting with regards to Windows 8, that they are blatantly ignoring. They want to release this information sooner rather than later hoping to increase sales of Windows 8. They don't want people sitting around waiting for Service Pack 2 when they could be out purchasing their shitty new tablet OS for their desktop.

I have 222 installed updates on my Windows 7 machine and only one of them wasn't released by Microsoft.

Oh well, more Tech Support calls for Microsoft. Guess they want to keep their lines busy. :)

windows XP had about 300 updates. if you wanna compare numbers.

Waaaaaaaaaaah.

Oh please, anything they add to Windows 7 would have to be taken from Windows 8 and that would make no sense. Just accept the fact that W7 is basically perfect and this is a major milestone for Microsoft.

...it's kind of funny that a lot of the W7 vs W8 arguments include, "I'm staying with W7", but now you want more? aye yi yi....

Dumb move by Microsoft, especially with the lukewarm W8 receptions I've seen so far. I expected at least one more SP to send off W7. This news will not push me more towards W8, if anything I'll stay away longer now.

Back