Wearable computing market forecasted to hit $1.5 billion by 2014

By on November 1, 2012, 4:30 PM

A new study from Juniper suggests wearable computing will soon become a huge market. Revenue from this emerging industry is expected to reach $800 million this year from existing products like smart watches and personal health and fitness devices.

Juniper says that consumers are expected to spend roughly $1.5 billion on wearable computing devices by 2014. By that time, Google’s Project Glass is likely to be available in addition to a number of unannounced products although it’s unclear at this point whether or not Google’s headset will be a hit with the general public.

Google first unveiled Project Glass in April before offering I/O conference attendees the opportunity to pre-order an early Explorer Edition for development purposes in June. The search giant reportedly sold over 1,200 units at $1,500 each in just a few hours. If that’s any indication, Google Glass is likely a hit product in the making.

As Electronista points out, the Bluetooth headset craze a few years ago demonstrated that the average consumer is willing to wear an electronic device on their head if it offers true value. The publication believes that smart watches may end up becoming more popular despite the fact that most need to connect to a smartphone.

North America and Western Europe will see the largest adoption of personal accessories. Together, it is believed that these two regions will account for about 60 percent of the global market share. Other technology hotbeds include Latin America, China and Central & Eastern Europe, the report says.

ikesmasher said:

Protip: stop trying to make "wearable computing" look stupid and out of the ordinary, no on wants to be known as the guy with the high tech monocle.

MrAnderson said:

I cannot imagine how small a computer will get in 2 years considering the rate we are going.

I cannot imagine where we are planning to wear them besides wrist, arm, or google style ::shivers::, on the eye. Wow but hitting a billion in 2 years, I guess I can see that now that I have considered that he already have it. It is reasonable to see it go that far. I wonder how many people will shift from one thing to another and how many of the people that consume will be new.

3 people like this | Trechie said:

You will become one with the Google. Resistance is futile.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

You will become one with the Google. Resistance is futile.

in soviet internet, clothes wear you

1 person liked this | davislane1 davislane1 said:

You will become one with the Google. Resistance is futile.

That's all fine and dandy until some pesky little troglodyte injects a little individuality into the Google collective.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

On the darker side:

So far the annoyance was that people are wired, put earplugs on so they can't hear others shouting their name. Still had the option to wave to get their attention.

Now they'll be wearing this glasses too and won't see one waving either.

Ithryl said:

Now they'll be wearing this glasses too and won't see one waving either.

Or they'll see G+ notification that someone's waving at them, and if the person is in their contacts, then maybe even his name. :P

1 person liked this | Pan Wah said:

Wearable computing is ok once you iron the bugs out - when I first tried it, I kept bumping into things, but found that if you pop a couple of blanks out of the expansion bay, you can see quite well.

Uvindu said:

Now they'll be wearing this glasses too and won't see one waving either.

And don't forget the option to remotely take control over his body and wave back!

MilwaukeeMike said:

Considering the only place I see people wearing Bluetooth headsets is Walmart, I don't really expect this technology to be any cooler.

Zoltan Head said:

LOL - Silly Billy!

TJGeezer said:

I see a lot of people Borg'd up with little blue lights while driving, too. It's simply practical and doesn't put you out of touch with the environment. VR glasses woihile driving would be pretty dangerous, but as heads-up displays they'd make sense.

gobbybobby said:

$800 million this year... I don't know of anyone with one of these devices. I am confused am I missing something!?

ikesmasher said:

its referring to watches and nike fitness stuff, etc etc.

Each driving category will have a subcategory indicating the ability of the driver to wear those 'glasses'.

Basically, If you wear these 'glasses', you'll need a new driving license.