VLC launches Kickstarter campaign for Windows 8 app

By on November 29, 2012, 1:00 PM

The team behind the popular open-source media player VLC has announced plans to develop a native app for Windows 8’s  Metro UI, and they’re looking to crowdsource funds for the project through Kickstarter. According to the team, although they currently receive donations through the VideoLAN association (a French non-profit) to purchase test devices and pay for servers, the Kickstarter money will allow them to work on the new port full-time while hiring professional designers to rework the user interface for Metro.

The goal for the project is set at £40,000, with £1,350 pledged so far and 29 days to go. According to the project description, an initial release should be ready within three months after finishing the fundraiser, with support for Windows RT devices powered by ARM processors planned for a subsequent release.

The Windows 8 app will support all the functionality of the existing desktop client, including the ability to playback a host of file formats and network streams, support for DVDs and VCDs out-of-the box as well as unencrypted Blu-Rays, a full fledged equalizer, video filters and support for subtitles.

There’s one major caveat, however. Apparently the client will require a significant number of forbidden API calls, so in theory VLC for Windows 8 might not even be allowed in the Windows Store. The developers think they might be able to find a way to work with Microsoft’s guidelines. If not, there’s the possibility of side loading.

treeski treeski said:

I don't use VLC at all right now, but I'm very excited to see how this develops.

Staff
Jesse Jesse said:

I'm now an official sponsor of an awesome app team ^_^

RH00D RH00D said:

I would like to donate since I use VLC all the time and it is completely awesome, but I just don't have the money to give away right now :c

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I like this but I'd rather they focus on the desktop app before doing any Metro. The desktop app desperately needs a UI refresh.

I'd give them money to NOT develop an app for the app store and lend credence to an effort to create a walled garden in what has always been an open platform for PCs.

PinothyJ said:

If it works do not fix it...

WaveZero said:

Posted this in another site, but whatever:

Hmm, for ARM VLC might be promising but for x86 it's dead to people who understands VLC well. Too many issues with VLC, I discussed them on the neowin forum in a few threads about it, chroma range is screwed up for example and blacks are not blacks is another example.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If it works do not fix it...

I think you're confusing form with function.

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

As long as VLC continues to play just about every video format I throw at it, I'm happy.

1 person liked this | gobbybobby said:

If VLC still looks the same in 10 years who cares, its a video player, I am not fussed how the play button looks or whether it has a fancy volume slider.. just that its a light client, and plays loads of formats at a high quality,