Sony stops shipping the PlayStation 2 in Japan after nearly 13 years

By on December 28, 2012, 3:51 PM

According to Japanese publication Famitsu, Sony has halted shipments of the PlayStation 2 in Japan this week, leaving local retailers with their final quantities of the iconic console. It's unclear whether Sony has immediate plans to stop shipments in other regions as well, though some believe the system will continue to be readily available in many developing countries where the machine remains popular for its affordability and library.

Launched to great fanfare in March 2000, the PlayStation 2 was at least partially responsible for killing Sega's Dreamcast and popularizing the DVD format. With two major revisions and more than a dozen minor ones, the console has shipped over 155 million units worldwide as of March 2012, making it the all-time best-selling console (excluding handhelds), topping the original PlayStation's 102 million sales and the Wii's 97 million.

Despite its age, it was still bought by more than a million people over the last year -- particularly across developing areas such as India and Brazil, the latter of which only received the system in 2009. It ranked as the world's most-played console as recently as 2008 according to Nielsen and developers continue to support the archaic machine with fresh ports, with this year's releases including MLB 2K12, FIFA 13 and PES 2013.

Besides the fact that the PlayStation 2 is practically prehistoric (it hit shelves when the N64 was still Nintendo's flagship offering), it's not too surprising to see Sony adjusting its lineup. The company is undergoing major restructuring in an effort to regain profitability and it's expected to unveil the PlayStation 4 next year, so we assume it would want to reposition the PS3 as its second-string player and officially bench the PS2.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

While impressive for it's longlivity the specs are not, 300Mhz & 32MB RAM.

AMD released it's first 1Ghz CPU when this console was released in year 2000.

Most gaming systems had more than 128MB RAM at that time

TorturedChaos, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Kinda makes me sad. I have spent more hours gaming on a PS2 than any other gaming device (including PC).

Sadly I have barley had a reason to touch my PS3

Tygerstrike said:

First I would like to say Thank you to Sony for the PS2. During its heyday it was an impressive machine. One of the first consoles that offered a hard drive option. Second, it is more then 75% responsable for the death of the DreamCast system. The DreamCast was a better gaming system, its only flaw was spliting the viewing between the screen and the memory card screen.

I am personally hoping that Sony will look at what made the PS2 so succesfull and try the same tactics on the next gen console.

1 person liked this | Guest said:

It could had been awesome if they just launched an upgraded ps2 console capable of running all the ps2 library but with 1080p graphics and antialiasing. Well, dreaming doesn't cost a thing.

H3llion H3llion, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I got the small in black, really need to sell it (CEX @ £20) but need a new controller since the current they wouldn't take due to the rubber pads on the two thingies has worn off/chipped.

Anyway, spent so much time on this when I was younger, whether it would be round my friends house or when Iv got mine. Played Tony Hawks, Ace Combat, NFS and GTA SA games on it, was a blast.

1 person liked this | Scshadow said:

The end of an era. The glory years of gaming. These days people are too obsessed with multiplayer and dlc. PS2 era, when complete games were sold at retail and everything was properly bug tested before release. I miss you ps2.

1 person liked this | NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

>_> I just bought 3 ps2 games this week lol

Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I've had many good times on the PS2, but we all knew it was coming sooner or later.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

PS2 was a great console but its age def shows, I think it's about time for Sony to hand the torch to the PS3 which is a great console.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Now if only it had ps2 compatibility lol. PS2 would've been dumped even sooner xD

Well hopefully this time around Sony will listen to the Gamer population and make PS2 game title compatibility a standard feature of the PS4. Why Sony thought dropping that feature from the early PS3 design was a good idea is still baffling. Oh wait the whole Playstation Network initiative whereby the loyal fans (I was one once) are cornered into paying an upper tier access fee should they wish to play many of the same games they already own. Either that or run a PS2 and PS3 side by side. So some of us did cough up the dough but then those nasty hackers came along, poked a hole in Sony's cost compressed security wall and pilfered our personal info. So much for the double pay plan. Then there was that financially crippling lawsuit lauched against an over enthusiastic gamer who tinkered a little too much with his PS3 for Sony's liking. That did wonders for Sony's image among the gaming population. XBOX is retro compatible and Microsoft seems to recognize the importance of not randomly trying to bankrupt a fan. Sony take note:

Telling gamers what we want instead of listening = Fail

Allowing Hackers to steal subsriber's personal information = Fail

Lawsuits against enthusiastic fans = Fail

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

A man can dream lol

1 person liked this | Camikazi said:

While impressive for it's longlivity the specs are not, 300Mhz & 32MB RAM.

AMD released it's first 1Ghz CPU when this console was released in year 2000.

Most gaming systems had more than 128MB RAM at that time

GameCube released in 2001 had 43MB RAM, XBox released in 2001 had 64MB RAM, DreamCast is a bit older being released in 1998 but it had 16MB RAM. Where are your 128MB RAM gaming systems in 2000?

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

. Where are your 128MB RAM gaming systems in 2000?

They are called computers. Whats happening today isn't any different then whats been happening for the past 15-20 years. PC's make consoles look like gameboys. Always have, always will.

1 person liked this | Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

@ Amstech- I think you're missing the point here. Yes a computer will hands down deliver more graphical quality, have more storage space, have more processing power. But the feeling of playing on those good consoles is what mattered. Good and well thought out games, even though sometimes having old fashioned graphics, is by far better then having a bugged game or a bad story-line. I have played on the PS2 when it came out, at a friend's gaming shop. We made lots of friends playing on PS2 and even when the XBOX just showed up, we still had a good time on PS2. I can still remember playing Onimusha the graphics where impressive at that time and I even liked the story-line. Games these days, seem to be missing an element. And also getting up out of the house to play on the PS2 with friends is a far better experience then nowadays

amstech amstech, TechSpot Enthusiast, said:

Your missing the point here.

15 years ago, very few people gamed on PC's compared to today. That does not mean there were not quality games made for PC.

As far as actual effort and moving around when you say "getting up out of the house" your introducing an entirely new subject completely unrelated to this topic. And about making friends? What the hell are you talking about?

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Classic. Before PC, I was instantly hooked with PS2.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

. Where are your 128MB RAM gaming systems in 2000?

Yea I see that wasn't the best choice of words, I did mean PC's when I said "gaming systems"

1 person liked this | Tygerstrike said:

Back then PC gaming required quite an investment of cash in order to get a system strong enough to keep up with the advancments in gaming. Consoles solved that problem for a lot of ppl. The PS2 allowed everyone to enjoy games w/o the substantial investment required for PC gaming. Roughly $200 plus a memory card and some games meant that even the lowliest of minimum wage workers could enjoy themselves.

1 person liked this | Camikazi said:

. Where are your 128MB RAM gaming systems in 2000?

A console has never needed the raw horsepower to run games like a PC does, nor did they need the high monetary investment or the time for installs and setup. That is why consoles are popular, you just plug them in and they work and they don't cost $2000 to run the newest game, you know that if it is made for the console it will run period. Yea, PCs do run games with the highest screen bling but consoles run the games more than well enough for much less startup and setup time which is what people want.

3 people like this | Guest said:

The PS2 was a great console!

There seems to be a fair amount of anger towards the PS3 though. I really don't understand why. I don't want to start a battle here but I own a 360 and PS3 and the PS3 is better hands down. The controller is a lot more comfortable and isn't heavy like the 360's. The system is much quieter when gaming or watching Netflix/movies. And playing online is FREE. For those people who've had an Xbox live account since day one that's over 10 years now.... At $60 a year that $600 could have been spent on games or accessories or whatever. Maybe I'm just cheap but I'd rather spend $600 elsewhere. And let's not forget about the RROD. My buddy has gone through 9 Xbox 360's!!!!! That is outright hilarious!

1 person liked this | Tygerstrike said:

@above Guest

I think the anger towards the PS3 was simply the incredible increase in price to change from the PS2. Follow that up with a less then stellar game line up in comparison to the XBOX 360. As well as the fact that PS3 games tend to either get ignored or an incredibly late DLC.

As for the XBOX live account, you only need to pay for gold membership IF you want to play your friends online. I have a simple silver membership which is free and I can play my games online. The RRoD was a gen 1 and 2 problem. It was mainly because of over heating issues. If your friend has gone through that many xboxes he really needs to remove it from his entertainment center because he is cooking his system.

avoidz avoidz said:

While impressive for it's longlivity the specs are not, 300Mhz & 32MB RAM.

AMD released it's first 1Ghz CPU when this console was released in year 2000.

Most gaming systems had more than 128MB RAM at that time

Longevity is the mark of a successful console system. It means the hardware is working and the games are good and gamers are happy. The Y2K specs are irrelevant here. The numbers speak for themselves.

Xclusiveitalian Xclusiveitalian said:

By "less then stellar game line up" I hope you mean when it was first released because now PS3 has not only all the multiplats but all the better exclusives. Besides Halo but I hate halo. Still hate Sony for pulling the backwards compatibility, just got a wii u and love I can play both wii u and wii games.

PinothyJ said:

Sadly I have barley had a reason to touch my PS3

Get PS Plus, it is well worth it...

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Really? All the "better" exclusives? The only exclusive I can think of that is worth buying a PS3 for is Little Big Planet, apart from that, the Xbox 360 really does have a better line up.

xneocea xneocea said:

God of War 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls , Journey, Uncharted, Infamous, Little Big Planet, Killzone, Gran Turismo 5, The Last Guardian, The Last of Us, Tales of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Folklore, Flower, Twisted Metal, God of War Ascension, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, Final Fantasy X HD, Wipeout HD.

Tygerstrike said:

In comparison to the XBOX 360 Sony has been lagging behind on title count. XBOX started with 20 solid titles. PS3 simply played "catch up". Part of the problem was that programing at the time was harder on PS3. Where the devs would have a hard time translating what they had created over to a launguage that the PS3 understood. Once it was ported then there was debugging. Itw asnt untill almost 2 years after the PS3 came out that more respectable titles were presented to Sonys customers. Once the game developers realized that the PS3 was going to stick around they put some effort into bringing out titles that caused the PS3 to stand apart.

Burty117 Burty117, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Really? I've played almost all of them (except for The Last Guardian, The Last of Us, Tales of Graces F, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, Folklore and Flower) and God of war is good don't get me wrong, but not really worth getting a ps3 for, Killzone on PS2 was awesome, Killzone 2 was pretty good, Killzone 3 was crap, Twisted metal isn't anything to brag about, Sly cooper again isn't really worth buying a PS3 for, Heavy Rain was interesting but not worth buying a ps3 for, Metal Gear Solid 4 was worth getting a PS3, same with Little Big Planet, Grand Turismo was great in the PS2 day (before it had any real competition) but its not quite worth getting a ps3 for, Final Fantasy HD? well that's not something to brag about at all, Wipeout is fun but again, not worth getting a whole PS3 for.

So overall, in that list, I could probably accept Killzone, Metal Gear Solid, Little Big Planet and maybe God of War as (ps3 Winners), Apart from that (and of course I can't say anything on the one's I haven't played) the others have either been done on the Xbox or something very similar.

Xbox has Halo, Forza, Crackdown, Fable, Gears of War, Ninety-Nine Nights, Ridge Racer, Saints Row (well the orginal was only ever released on Xbox anywho) and Viva Piņata that instantly spring to mind.

Overall though, between the consoles and my PC, discounting my PC I easily played more on the Xbox than I have the PS3, sure I did spend quite alot of time on Grand Turismo and God of War was a good laugh, and Little Big Planet gets played whenever I have friends round, but so does Halo. And everyone I know who come round all prefer Forza over Grand Turismo?

Conclusion? Xbox has a bigger list of decent games released compared to the PS3, cross platform games as well seem to run just as well on the Xbox (in some cases better, such as Skyrim) as well as the PS3.

As this article quite rightfully noted, the Xbox and Gamecube were more powerful beasts compared to the PS2, but it has THE biggest games catalog of any console to date and a lot of good games were made for it.

This round though, it was Microsoft's turn and the Xbox 360 has been blessed with very good titles and a decent sized catalog of games.

1 person liked this | PinothyJ said:

It really depends. Those games you have described really are not that special. Forza is great but who really cares about the stock standard and story barren Gears of War anyway? The other stuff is not terribly noteworthy.

At the end of the day, if the 360 has games you like and you want Kinect, than go for it, otherwise, you would be insane not to go for a PS3. 3D BluRay out of the box as well as a superior DVD player and a subscription service that ACTUALLY gives you stuff for subscribing. PS Plus is not only cheaper than Live and a service that gives you discounts across the store, early game access and beta access to games, but you get a minimum of forty-five free games a year. What does Live get you? Oh, I know: what everyone else gives you for free.

Like the games and want to play Kinect should be the only reason you would ever choose a 360 over a PS3...

Mikymjr Mikymjr said:

Your missing the point here.

Well it's my opinion after all. You don't have to agree with me. And I wouldn't say "friends were made back then" if it weren't true. You've had you own way of life. I don't expect you to understand. But still have happy life