Apple may acquire Waze, the popular crowdsourced GPS app

By on January 3, 2013, 12:00 PM

Multiple sources have been cited in this report, claiming Apple is engaged in acquisition talks with Waze, a popular crowdsourced GPS app capable of providing turn-by-turn voice navigation. One pot hole in the road though is Waze's asking price of $750 million -- about $250 million more than Apple is willing to pay. Purportedly, Cupertino offered Waze $400 million up front with (up to) an additional $100 based on performance.

For anyone who's spent time searching for a no-strings attached GPS navigation app, chances are they've stumbled onto Waze. Currently, the app is freely available for both Android and iOS but it is unknown how such a deal would affect Waze and its users. Would it remain free? Would it remain available for Android? Would it even continue to exist?

Why would Apple considering buying Waze? The Mac-maker is most likely hoping to integrate Waze's features, superior International coverage and talent pool into its own mapping efforts. Since the ouster of Google from iOS Maps, critics have been vocal about the many issues plaguing Apple's own in-house map solution. Its problems were so apparent that Apple CEO Tim Cook felt he had to apologize; promising Maps would improve through future updates. Perhaps Waze is a strategic part of achieving that promise.

Although Apple's offer of $400 million plus up to $100 million falls substantially short of the company's supposed $750 million asking price, Waze only generated about $1 million in revenue last year.

For anyone looking for a free alternative to Apple's Maps on iOS, Waze and the recently released Google Maps are two very good options.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, everybody's been saying that,"Apple has lost its way", since Steve Jobs died. Now, at least they're trying to do something about it!

MilwaukeeMike said:

They're probably asking for so much because they know an extra $250 million is like 2 weeks of profit for Apple.

Looks like this app would fit well into Apple's culture too, it's got a cute little name, cute little smileys, and looks trendy enough to make you nauseous.

It's got a non-descript name too, so when you talk about it with your friends they won't be able to figure out what it is if they haven't heard of it before. And then when they ask 'What's Waze' you can say 'What?! You've never heard of Waze?!' and make them feel like they've been living in a cave.

lipe123 said:

Please noooooooooooo!!

I love waze and I'm an android user, I can only imagine how apple will screw it up once they get their claws on it.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Waze, whazzat? Truth to tell I thought it was a conjugation of the verb, "wazoo", until I realized "wazoo" was a noun. (Never mind that last part, it still is a noun).

hahahanoobs hahahanoobs said:

Please noooooooooooo!!

No doubt. And you can bet voice navigation will star the one and only... Siri. I hate her voice. I cringe even.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I love Siri's voice I fact, I think Apple should branch out into the 900 number sex chat arena, with Siri as their top girl. As a company after all, they are one of the biggest wh***s around.....:eek: