Microsoft blames OEMs for slow Windows 8 sales, plans February "relaunch"

By on January 25, 2013, 6:00 PM

A report by The Register reveals that Microsoft blames OEMs for its relatively lackluster Windows 8 sales. Purportedly, Microsoft believes vendors didn't adhere closely enough to its hardware recommendations, producing mostly non-touchscreen computers that didn't showcase Windows 8's touchable side. This information comes from a "well-placed" source familiar with the matter.

Between its October 26 release and the end of 2012, Microsoft claimed to have sold 60 million copies of Windows 8. By comparison, it took Windows Vista about six months to sell the same number, but as some like to point out, statistics like these don't always tell the whole story. Official figures on Microsoft's Surface sales are still missing in action too, although Ballmer told a French news outlet that initial Surface sales were "modest". Some analysts estimate that Microsoft has sold fewer than one million Surface tablets.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, the report also indicates that OEMs have turned the tables, assigning blame for lackluster Windows 8 sales to Microsoft. The primary reason computer-makers didn't strictly follow Microsoft's internal guidelines is that few companies were willing to risk producing millions of expensive, high-end devices that customers weren't guaranteed to snap up.

In spite of tepid sales though, Microsoft took numerous steps to make Windows 8 a success. The company hyped up Windows 8 as its most important OS since Windows 95, offered upgrades at record low prices and even created reference hardware to ship it on, in spite of possibly damaging its OEM partnerships. Interestingly, the report also uncovers a little-known effort Microsoft also bankrolled: a "contest" between computer manufacturers to create "Hero PCs". Hero PCs were 10 hand-picked computers that Microsoft would have had retailers showcase globally. Disappointing sales though forced Microsoft to call off the promotion.

The report claims that due to its underwhelming performance, Microsoft may be planning a February "re-launch" of Windows 8. What that exactly entails is unclear, but the Surface Pro and Office 2013 should also be landing on shelves that month. It sounds as though February may be a particularly busy month for Redmond.

5 people like this | Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Typical. Blame the OEMs for lack of sales on a product nobody really wanted, released too early in the life cycle of Windows 7, because those OEMs didn't take a huge gamble on touch devices that very few people really want or need... In a marketplace that Microsoft were, themselves, putting up a huge marketing campaign to push the Surface, which was a direct competitor to anything the OEMs might release in that touch tablet/notebook niche where Windows 8 really shines. Except, of course, the Surface RT came out first and completely muddied the Windows 8 marketplace for the average consumer well before Win8's official launch, and the Surface Pro has yet to arrive. (Irony that Microsoft is complaining about OEMs lacking supporting hardware for Win8 when they didn't even manage to get theirs to market in the same timeframe?)

Microsoft still hasn't gotten a clue about how absolutely ridiculous it is to waste money on touch devices for regular desktop computing (particularly corporate scenarios), other than the occasional "all-in-one" type of PC that a small percentage of total consumers actually want. Doesn't matter how much MS wants touch to be the next big thing in PCs, the ergonomics and logistics of touch-based systems tend to be detrimental to typical computer user productivity. Other than the close-up tablet/laptop types of operator scenarios, that is.

Somehow, I doubt a "relaunch" of Windows 8 will make much difference. It may be faster, better in some ways, but it's still "meh" to a huge portion of the existing user base. And, if they intend to keep to their plan for letting the introductory price breaks expire, they'll have even less success trying to force-feed it to consumers at the higher price point.

BlueDrake said:

Sorry Microsoft but there's no way, I would touch Windows 8 with anything. You're blaming those who ship hardware with your OS, yet you don't understand it's not a major interest of people? The only reason it's a major thing, is because many are pushing it on newer PCs instead.

I'd either demand a Windows 7 downgrade or stripped of an OS, or that PC would be sitting on the shelf if offered a Windows 8 machine. Not that I'll even touch a pre-built again Microsoft, so OEMs issues are not my concern.

ikesmasher said:

Rofl, so basically, microsoft is pissed because OEMs arent forcing people to use products that they dont want to use and are overpriced.

Hey, just saying. If people really desperately wanted touch screen PCs for the price they are at, they would buy them.

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

So the fact the W8 sucks, and that the touch features should have been an optional Media Center extension have nothing to do with W8's doing poorly.

4 people like this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Rofl, so basically, microsoft is pissed because OEMs arent forcing people to use products that they dont want to use, don't need, are overpriced, and lack the features they used to get for free.
Ike, I touched that up a bit for you. I hope it meets with your approval.

Chazz said:

Would be hard to tell this is a rumor judging from the comments.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Would be hard to tell this is a rumor judging from the comments.
Meh, who cares. We haven't had a good Micro-bash in a few days. Why let fact or fantasy get in the way of it.?

I just bought a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium as a "keep me for a rainy day OS", to hopefully spare myself from ever buying a copy of Windows 8. So, do you think the M$ board of directors would approve of that? I say, likely not. They'd call me a luddite, and say I was, "holding back progress".

The simple fact of the matter is, nobody in as high a position as a M$ operating chief is going to take the blame for a Windows 8 fail. And s*** rolls downhill.... Now you try and separate fact from rumor.

Have you ever heard or read one of Steve Ballmer's "soundbytes"? They normally reek of delusionality.

1 person liked this | ReederOnTheRun ReederOnTheRun said:

I'm actually pretty content using windows 8 with a non-touchscreen laptop. It works prefectly for me, and no touch screen means bigger battery life and lighter design.

dtourond said:

Wrong. Windows 7 was released for 3 years which is plenty-enough time..

Wrong again. It is not ridiculous, nor a waste of money. Being able to use a tablet as a PC is actually a great method of computing and the Surface Pro will bring the best of both worlds. Being able to do things that would require two separate devices all in one device is great and it's a shame that you're too blinded to realize that..

Wrong. It doesn't suck and every new radical change will take time to get used to. The same thing happened with Windows 95.

Up to you. If you prefer using an inferior OS, then great. Whatever floats your boat.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Did you just stop by to serially post how right you think you are, and how wrong you think we all are?

'Cause I been here for quite a while and I remember quite a few Vista zealots, with whom you seem to share a common heritage.

Every time M$ releases another OS, they whisper in everybody's ears how fast it is. how it doesn't blue screen, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Guess what, my 8 year old copy of XP SP2, is just as fast as Win 7, and never, ever, puts up a blue screen. And it needs less hardware to run.

Now go play with your monitor full of blocks. It'll be just like never having to hang up your phone.

Oh BTW, I especially like how everybody gives Win 8 the credit for fast boot times, at least as long as you use an SSD with it.

So tell me, Windows installation files keep getting bigger and bigger, and yet so many people buy into the idea that there's less bloat. How does that work? Bill Gates is using Jedi mind tricks on you, maybe?

1 person liked this | gcarter gcarter said:

A friend recently purchased an all-in-one HP Envy (see pic) running windows 8 and asked me to set it up for him, as he couldn't figure out how to use the tiles interface properly!

A quick install of start8 which defaults to the windows desktop and provides start menu functionality and he was up and running in no time.

My 5yr daughter however was eager to use the touch screen side of things before he collected it.

She likes using the bbc cbeebies website for interactive games which I thought was a great showcase for using touchscreen...

5 mins later, she was complaining that things didnt work properly using touch on the website, and that her arm hurt from holding it up to touch the screen! She then promptly reverted to the keyboard and mouse, and was happy for a good hour or so!

[link]

Tedster Tedster, Techspot old timer....., said:

No interest from this user in Win 8. It's a radical departure from all the previous OS M$ put out. I don't want to use a touchscreen nor do I wish to rush out and buy one. I have played with tablets - they're mostly toys and not for serious productivity. I have several computers in the house and all work very well. Hardware these days is more than ample for most things. And my gaming has mostly migrated to platform systems like my trusty Xbox. So I have no need to spend more money on a useless OS and hardware I really don't want to get - not to mention additional peripherals that I would have to buy because there are no drivers for my existing ones.

Demigod001 said:

Just this bit to comment on really WIn8 does have a very fast boot with or without an ssd. Its a lot faster than my win7 and winxp boxes with all three running Seagate ST31000524AS drives.

I do prefer win 8 after using in on desktop. Its really easy to get used to a multitasking is as easy as always for me anyway.

Cant say Ive used touch or want to on desktop though

killeriii said:

No...He's right. W8 sucks.

Now, Windows95, that was revolutionary...but buggy.

Adhmuz Adhmuz, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Wrong. Windows 7 was released for 3 years which is plenty-enough time..

Your trying to argue with someones personal opinion, stop that. You're obviously a supporter for Windows 8, thanks for your input as to why Microsoft is blaming the OEMs for their own shortsightedness. Also find it funny how you point out the inferiority of Windows 7, but don't explain why. Just that anyone who doesn't want to deal with the BS that is Windows 8 is wrong. Lack of experience is quite apparent, if you are in fact a High School student, it really does show. Of which I ask, does your school plan on changing all their PCs to Windows 8? Unlikely because they see no merit in doing so, as like most businesses.

"Hero PCs were 10 hand-picked computers that Microsoft would have had retailers showcase globally. Disappointing sales though forced Microsoft to call off the promotion." Oh man, you know Microsoft is in serious trouble when they can't bankroll 10 PCs. This is such an obvious attempt to point the finger outside their own walls, they just can't accept that people aren't ready to change from what clearly already works and works well. To what can work, just not as efficiently, but requires an investment to get the most out of the OS. Investment being a touch screen. Something I don't want to waste money on yet, if ever. But it's okay, people might forget by the time they re-launch in February...

1 person liked this | fwilliams said:

To ReederOnTheRuns

Good for you!

Jedi mind tricks on you, Bill Gates is?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Wrong. It (Windows 8) doesn't suck and every new radical change will take time to get used to. The same thing happened with Windows 95.
Well, to paraphrase the late, great, Yogi Berra; "Windows 8 is like Deja Vista all over again".

Chazz said:

Windows 8...

My little sister recently purchased a laptop and it unknowingly to her had windows 8 on it. A few days after she bought it, I told her to restart her comp so she could get those windows updates out of the way. I then curiously said "Oh wait, you just use the power button to shut it off huh? Do you even know how to restart yet?

She responded with a offended tone. "uhhhh yea, just move the mouse over here! What do you think I'm stupid?" She uses an iPhone(read simple technology user, very casual).... and she hasn't had a problem using windows 8 yet. I think most of these comments just amount to noise, with very few contributable critiques and opinions.

A little side note. Her laptops screen doesn't have touch, which I found disappointed. I'd like to have seen if that was valuable or just a gimmicky feature.

Coodu Coodu said:

I upgraded to Windows 8 on my gaming PC after getting a free copy through the Expert Zone. I want to just format and be done with it, but I have too many files I can't be bothered to re-do (Skyrim Mods, game backups etc etc etc)

Until I can be bothered though, Start8 is serving admirably :P

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Windows 8...

Super! Now I can tell people I know someone who knows the, "Windows 8 Poster Girl".....

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

I compare Win 8 to people that just bought a new smartphone within the last year. Of course there will be a newer slightly faster version of that smartphone come out in that time since. Those same people will find out about the newer faster version of the phone they just bought and say "oh nice but my phone is all I need and want for now." Myself I like to have the latest greatest tech, the exception being Win 8. No thanks.

Chazz said:

Well, if you're one to quote random online people then sure....go right ahead.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Well, if you're one to quote random online people then sure....go right ahead.
If you believe in the, "six degrees of separation" theory, I can quote whoever I want and still wind up telling the truth...:p

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Jedi mind tricks on you, Bill Gates is?

Using a moniker, Yoda is. (y)

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

In case you were wondering, I actually really like the Surface products. And Windows 8 on a Surface product will be a superior experience. But, you seem to have missed what I actually said in your hurry to come to the defense of Win8... I was talking about touch being a waste on DESKTOPS. Not tablets, laptops, or any form factor that the Surface fits into. These are 2 separate issues. If you have ever worked in an office, spent long hours on a CAD system, or generally used a PC in a standard "work" environment, you would understand what I meant. Having a touchscreen on most workers' (and home users' monitors would be a massive waste of hardware. The ergonomics alone of constantly reaching up to touch your monitor make it unrealistic. Unless you decided to completely redesign every workstation desk in the world, a touch-centric desktop scenario would be highly detrimental to productivity. Not to mention those of us with massive screens for our CAD systems at work - haven't priced out dual 27" touch-enabled monitors, but I can guarantee you that my accounting department would laugh me out of the building if I requisitioned those for my use, just because some software company decided that "touch is the future" and that I need them... Starting to see my point?

Touch is great, and has its place. Its place is in mobile and personal spaces, not in a desktop or work environment. Period.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Yeah, well you're just plain old, flat out, irrevoceably wrong....!

(I didn't see dtourond online, so I posted what I though he'd want to say)....:eek:

I love the "server did not respond in time" error this software puts up. It practically invites you to double post....:oops:

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I believe touch does have a place in the work place, but not with current hardware available within the workplace. Once adequate hardware finds its way into the work place, that will be when a touch oriented OS becomes accepted by all. Until then we as consumers need a choice, and that choice was not made user friendly with Windows 8.

The reason I said available in the work place, is because the work place is usually the last to adapt with new tech. Windows 8 is ahead of its time, and came out before consumers were ready for such a transition. Windows 8 is a test project to see what will be allowed in future OS designs. Microsoft wanted to push a touch oriented OS on the public to get a better understanding of where their next OS needs to be.

I'm not gonna lie, I despise Windows 8 but that doesn't mean I'm gonna sit here and call it a failure. Touch orientated devices are the way of the future and Microsoft had to start somewhere.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

Bah, you're both wrong......:p "Windows 8 is Grrrrrr-ate"! Tony the Tiger told me so.....

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Tell me about it!!!

There has been at least three instances I can remember, where I had to work at not double posting. When it takes a long time for commenting to compete posting, I usually copy the contents of my post and then refresh the page. After which I usually find my comment had been successfully posted, but just in case it was also stored in clipboard.

TheBigFatClown said:

cliffordcooley says

"I believe touch does have a place in the work place."

What clifford meant to say was that in spite of the well thought out and articulated explanation put fourth by Vrmithrax of 'why' touch has no place on the desktop that cliffy is gonna believe that we as humans are, in reality, gluttons for punishment and regardless of the limitations of the human body that touch will, in fact, somebody thrive in an office environment and no one can convince him otherwise.

Please don't let Vrmithrax squash your dreams of a touch-centric work-force cliffy. He's just trying to hold back progress. I myself, can't wait for the day, we are all using our thoughts by way of electrodes hooked up to our brain to communicate with computers. Don't stop believing cliffy. If you really believe it in your heart, then it does become true.

cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

cliffy
First off thats not my name/moniker and I consider it an insult when presented in that fashion. If you want to shorten my name clif will suffice.

Insults are not allowed on Techspot, remember that when you address me again.

Secondly, I didn't say they would be a complete replacement to everything we have. I do however believe in a balanced environment, where touch could be used.

killeriii said:

Insults are not allowed on Techspot, remember that when you address me again.

lol, cliffy...

sry, I find it amusing. (no insult intended)

I do use touch devices in my workplace, but they are handheld and tablet devices. They are used for product tracking and such. Makes the job much easier than using paper and pen.

However, I don't see that touchscreens would ever be productive in a desktop environment (ie.office).

I think the balance lies in using touch tablets/handhelds in conjunction with (non-touch) desktops.

The only way I could see touchscreens working well as part of a desktop is by maybe replacing (or adding to) the keyboard/mouse at your fingertips with a visual surface like device, as well as having a non-touch monitor in front of you.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

The whole crappiness of the Metro interface on non touch screens could be resolved (or a lot of the crappiness) by making a click and drag of the mouse work like a finger on the touch screen. I am astonished that Microsoft did not implement this by the final release.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

How would that be very much different from the way Windows always worked? Or for that matter the Apple OS?

I'm sorry, I just am unable to process why drag and drop, and double-click to open, would really benefit from further "simpleton-ification". Really, aren't those things easy enough........., for 5 years olds?

I suppose very soon, speech recognition software will improve to the point where a secretary won't have to bother learning to type. In the old days, when men were men, and silk stockings had seams in the back, only the ugly secretaries had to learn to type anyway, the hotties could get by "using other means".....:eek: << If you know what I means.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

I'm not sure if I'm simply not understanding your first part, or whether you just haven't used 8 and experienced trying to navigate in Metro. The Metro interface itself, if it goes beyond 1 page can be finger swiped on a tablet, exactly like navigating on smartphones and Android/iOS tablets. However, on the desktop/laptop without a touch screen, to get to the 2nd 'page' of the Metro interface (or further screens in something like the Weather app) the only ways to do that are to bring your mouse cursor to the bottom of the screen where then a scroll bar appears and you drag the scroll bar, or you scroll your mouse wheel down to move the screen to the left.

So what I'm bitching about is why didn't Microsoft let a left click and hold act like pressing your finger on a touch screen, so that click and dragging on the screen moves the screen like it does on tablets and smartphones.

As to your second comment, I think I agree. It appears that Microsoft and Apple want to converge the desktop OS with the mobile OS, and aside from bitching on forums or not purchasing the operating systems I don't think there is much we can do about it.

Chazz said:

Well, if you're one to quote random online people then sure....go right ahead.

Well that can be true and yes my piece of info is anecdotal. But I do think it's better than most of the gibberish I'm reading in this topic(though I admit the replies are starting to get entertaining.). I think most of these opinions are uninformed.

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I haven't. I've avoided it to the same degree I would a syphilitic leper.

Be patient grasshopper, it will be that way in Windows 9. Deep down inside, you know that "Windows 8ista" was just a ploy for some interim operating capital, don't you?

BTW, would you be willing to settle for bouncing to cursor off the center of a tab on the page edge for scroll"

Actually, that seems to have worked, at least somewhat, judging by the topic of this thread......

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I think most of these opinions are uninformed.
Well Chazz, that's why we call them "opinions", because you don't need to be informed to have one....

That's why I change mine from time to time. First, I'm liable to be correct at least 50% of the time. And second, it helps other people to overcome their inhibitions by getting angry, giving a contrasting opinion, and telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Chazz said:

Ya, that would be perfectly fine. Except when you form a opinion based on other peoples opinions. Then I find it not to be that persons opinion. I'm not gonna say "The Odyssey is a great book", having not read it(or atleast partially) just because a lot of writers and book enthusiast love it. It's easy for someone to spout complete BS and then hide behind the word opinion.

I'm totally OK with someone forming an opinion based on their limited information and revising it as they learn more. No one knows everything and it'd be foolish to not want to talk to anyone that doesn't know 100% about what they're talking about. That's the difference between people spouting regurgitated trends and having a meaningful conversation about a topic.

1 person liked this | captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

I refuse to own a smart phone. I don't want one, I don't need one, and I can't afford one. But I've seen how the interface works, and I don't need that either. I don't want to go to my desktop, and have the same user experience that I would at a Redbox. So IMHO, plus my casual experience with other touch enabled devices, Windows 8 does suck.

I've said this before, have M$ call me, when the get voice recognition, and voice printing enabled in their OS. That way, I walk over to my computer say "good morning", it knows me, and we chat over morning coffee. In the meantime, a mouse and keyboard are dandy.

For a keyboard on a desktop, touch would be the stupidest thing imaginable. Because, then you'd need the monitor laying flat in front of you, and the keyboard would eat up a big chunk on the screen.

In the meantime, how would a monitor laying flat on a desktop mesh with today's principles of "ergonomics"?

You don''t walk down the street staring at your feet, and I expect not to have to use my computer in that manner either.

TheBigFatClown said:

Very well said. I think most fanboys of the gay 'Window 8' operating system are teenage girls addicted to facebook and nerds who love new. Of course, If I were a 16-year old female facebook addict I would probably have a tablet where I could use it everywhere. At home, at school, at friends houses. Does a 16-year old female facebok addict "really" want to be tied down to a desktop computer? The 'nerds who can't resist new' haven't really stopped to ask themselves what's so great about touch on a desktop. They haven't really stopped to ask themselves how does it make their overall user-interface with the operating system better or worse. Sure there are under the hood improvements which make Windows 8 more appealing but the pathetic tablet interface kills all those desires in me to upgrade.

I honestly can't believe what I am seeing but I believe that traditional desktop user outrage is having an impact on the sales of Windows 8. Windows 8 is a POS. It deserves to fail.

Word to Microsoft: "What we have here is a failure to communicate!"

Rage on my Windows 7 patriots. The tide is slowly turning!!!

Wagan8r Wagan8r said:

I'm glad that there are so many people here who have used Windows 8 on a daily basis so as to be well informed authorities on the matter! I've never seen so many experts!

hyperbole aside, Windows 8 includes more features that I find beneficial than the oft-bemoaned negatives. But then, maybe that's just me being an objective evaluator of pros and cons.

SammyJames said:

Right. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with how many of us are using Windows 7 and have absolutlely zero problems with it. Or how many of us still use XP (and also, according to what I've read) have absolutely zero problems with IT. Nope. Of course -- it's the OEM's fault. Dell, HP, and Lenovo just aren't pushing Windows 8 hard enough (despite that every single new machine that has appeared in the last two months has Windows 8 on it).

Whatever.

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Oh Captain my Captain...

That walking analogy is a perfect example of my comments about a touch-centric interface being less than ergonomic or productive in a typical desktop PC usage situation. It's just common sense in most cases, not anyone trying to "hold back progress" as someone stated earlier. Glad at least you can see the pitfalls, Capt... I don't feel so alone! Heh

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

While I understand that touch has its place, and that it will be expanding over time, I think the main problem is that Microsoft pushed this "test project" and is trying to bend the industry to its will overnight, rather than easing into it. It's ironic that Microsoft was striving to make Windows 8 user experience friendly, but their marketing and removal of options made the entire consumer side of the experience much less friendly.

And just a side note... You may want to rethink that whole "work place is the last to adapt" thought. PCs in general flourished because of massive corporate sales that helped propel the market. Things like laptops were initially designed to make work easy to take on the go, but have morphed over time into general consumer devices. Tablet PCs were initially designed for industrial and commercial applications, but have been usurped by the current tablet appliances. Microsoft wouldn't be anywhere if they hadn't catered to the corporate sector early on, and continued to do so with products like Office. All this points to how critical the professional / enterprise sector has been in the continued growth of companies like Microsoft. Not to mention the fact that well over half of all PCs in use today are business computers. The cavalier "they'll adapt to touch, we'll make them" attitude of Microsoft betrays a deep ignorance (or just dismissal) of what got them to their current status as an industry leader. And it also shows a complete lack of comprehension on just what kind of monetary impact (in hardware, retraining, reorganizing, ergonomics redesigning, etc) is required to make their "touch is the future" goal a reality in the business world.

1 person liked this | cliffordcooley cliffordcooley, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Right, they should adapt just as quickly as they abandoned IE6.

Mantrhax Mantrhax said:

I have a computer, I dont use tablets, I dont want windows crap 8

slow Windows 8 sales lol, why ? I bet u still doesnt get a clue uh ?

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Right, they should adapt just as quickly as they abandoned IE6.

Haha, touché! Well played, sir... Well played

Chazz said:

Whatever.

I upgraded from Windows 7 and I loved that OS. The other computers in my house has windows 7, besides main one and my sisters laptop and I'm happy with them. Just because I do like the Windows 8 on my Main rig I'm not gonna start non-nonsensically bashing Windows 7. It was and continues to be a great OS.

corvette72778 corvette72778 said:

Windows 8 is actually pretty good once you download an aftermarket start menu! Its fast, It goes to sleep quickly and wakes up quickly. Its Just a faster windows 7. However, I despise the new app menu. Once I installed the classic start menu icon, I haven't even used the apps or the app screen. It adds no value to me. I think Microsoft removed the classic start menu to try to generate app revenue. What a bust! Without the classic start menu though, I couldn't imagine using Windows 8. They tried to reinvent the wheel....I mean mouse and as expected it didn't work. It is MUCH MORE complicated using Windows 8 if you don't have the classic start menu. Half the new features are "hidden"!!! The person who is in charge of Windows 8 should be fired along with Balmer.