Apple adds 128GB option to current iPad lineup (Updated)

By on January 29, 2013, 10:29 AM

Update: Well, that didn't take long. Apple this morning announced a 128GB version of its fourth-generation iPad with Retina display. The Wi-Fi model will sell for $799 while the Wi-Fi + 4G model costs a whopping $929 -- a $100 increment in both cases over the 64GB variant. The new model will go on sale February 5.

The original story is below:

Apple is preparing to release an additional fourth generation iPad model and it's likely to include 128GB of storage memory, according to a report by 9to5Mac. The site says it received word about the new model from an unnamed source at a high profile US retailer, and though it wasn’t able to confirm the new storage capacity option, references inside iOS 6.1 and iTunes 11 suggest that is likely the case.

As 9to5Mac notes, currently the iPad is available in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB configurations sometimes referenced to as “Good”, “Better, and “Best”. According to the data they’ve received, the additional model is referenced as “Ultimate”, and will be available alongside existing models in WiFi-only and WiFi + Cellular versions and black or white colors. It won’t be a new design but rather an additional SKU for the current iPad.

No release timeframe was mentioned in the report, and despite its source claiming the 128GB model would join the current lineup, 9to5Mac still warned that it could be an SKU specific to government agencies, retail, or for other internal uses. ZDNet seconds that with a little more skepticism, claiming that a 128GB iPad might indeed be in the pipeline, but it will likely debut with an update to Apple’s tablet and mark the end of the 16GB model.

The fourth-gen iPad was just released in November so an update doesn’t seem imminent, after all customers were already upset when Apple pushed the iPad refresh cycle up from March.

Ever since the introduction of the original iPhone in 2007 Apple has been gradually improving the storage capacity options for its mobile devices. The initial 4GB or 8GB options were upgraded to 8GB or 16GB with the iPhone 3G in 2008, then 16GB or 32GB with the 3GS and iPhone 4, and finally the 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB tiers available since 2010 with the iPhone 4S and first-gen iPad -- all while maintaining the same price points.

If mumblings about the 128GB iPad turn out to be true -- as an additional SKU for the current model or as an iPad refresh --  it'll be interesting to see if the iPhone and iPad mini get a bump in storage options as well.




User Comments: 22

Got something to say? Post a comment
JC713 JC713 said:

Couldn't this be a hint at a high res iPhone or an even higher res iPad??

9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I hope that they drop the 16, and shift the prices. Make the 32 the new entry price model.

1 person liked this | VitalyT VitalyT said:

As 9to5Mac notes, currently the iPad is available in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB configurations sometimes referenced to as ?Good?, ?Better, and ?Best?.

Ok, so let's vote on the name for the 128GB one:

1. Uber Cool

2. Another iPad

3. iCrap Big

4. iWTF Pad

etc...

Vrmithrax Vrmithrax, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Would be interesting to see how they price a 128GB unit. Current units have a $100 price bump for each level above the 16GB baseline. Wonder if that would hold for going from 64GB to 128GB? My guess is it'll be a $200 premium for that top end, putting it at $899 for the Wi-Fi or $1029 for the cell model. Ouch!

Rippleman Rippleman said:

So, you don't like 128 gb of storage? why not? more space the better.

As 9to5Mac notes, currently the iPad is available in 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB configurations sometimes referenced to as ?Good?, ?Better, and ?Best?.

Ok, so let's vote on the name for the 128GB one:

1. Uber Cool

2. Another iPad

3. iCrap Big

4. iWTF Pad

etc...

Rippleman Rippleman said:

I am not an apple hater but it makes me so curious why the justify the $100 price bump, II wish I new if its a special type of flash memory or the same standard stuff you buy in standard USb thumb drives. From my shopping expereinece the other day, going from 16 -> 32 thumb drive added $18 and then another $18 for 64bg

Would be interesting to see how they price a 128GB unit. Current units have a $100 price bump for each level above the 16GB baseline. Wonder if that would hold for going from 64GB to 128GB? My guess is it'll be a $200 premium for that top end, putting it at $899 for the Wi-Fi or $1029 for the cell model. Ouch!

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

I am not an apple hater but it makes me so curious why the justify the $100 price bump, II wish I new if its a special type of flash memory or the same standard stuff you buy in standard USb thumb drives. From my shopping expereinece the other day, going from 16 -> 32 thumb drive added $18 and then another $18 for 64bg

Simple answer, they charge $100 cuz they can. Nothing special about the memory in the iPads/iPhones etc.

pmcardle said:

Typical Apple - copying M$ 128GB Surface model.

3 people like this | 9Nails, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Ok, so let's vote on the name for the 128GB one:

1. Uber Cool

2. Another iPad

3. iCrap Big

4. iWTF Pad

etc...

1. iOverspent

2. iNheritance Wasted

3. iPeen Overcompensate

4. iSoldmysoul

5. iSheep Baa

6. iDaddy's Rich

7. Then my favorite, Maxi iPad

Rippleman Rippleman said:

A group that I am getting together is recruiting early so we can all be super cool and hate something new. Want to join? Its basically what you are doing right now, but the apple thing is growing old and we think it would be much cooler to move on to something new! Want to leave your cool group for something even cooler?

Ok, so let's vote on the name for the 128GB one:

1. iOverspent

2. iNheritance Wasted

3. iPeen Overcompensate

4. iSoldmysoul

5. iSheep Baa

6. iDaddy's Rich

7. Then my favorite, Maxi iPad

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

Finally. Why don't they put this into iPods? I'm still interested in the iPod classic only because it has 160GB storage.

I wouldn't buy an mp3 player with less than 100GB these days. My phone does the job of the portable one, and I need the storage if I'm hooking it up to my car audio system.

Jack Thompson Jack Thompson said:

Typical Apple - copying M$ 128GB Surface model.

Yeah, its just that with M$ you get 83GB free...

MilwaukeeMike said:

A group that I am getting together is recruiting early so we can all be super cool and hate something new. Want to join? Its basically what you are doing right now, but the apple thing is growing old and we think it would be much cooler to move on to something new! Want to leave your cool group for something even cooler?

You're just bitter that his new iPad names rock. if Techspot would let me 'like' his list of new iPad names more than once, I'd do it a few more times. MaxiPad and iOverspent are hilarious names. Lol!

Skidmarksdeluxe Skidmarksdeluxe said:

Good grief man, those prices are an iSore. iDon't believe it. When iSaw those prices iFainted. It's blatant iWay robbery.

Rippleman Rippleman said:

I don't have an ipad... I just don't jump into the "icool" hate crowd

A group that I am getting together is recruiting early so we can all be super cool and hate something new. Want to join? Its basically what you are doing right now, but the apple thing is growing old and we think it would be much cooler to move on to something new! Want to leave your cool group for something even cooler?

You're just bitter that his new iPad names rock. if Techspot would let me 'like' his list of new iPad names more than once, I'd do it a few more times. MaxiPad and iOverspent are hilarious names. Lol!

MilwaukeeMike said:

I don't have an ipad... I just don't jump into the "icool" hate crowd

Oh, I haven't jumped into that crowd either. Just pay attention to all the crap they do while feeding us non-stop commercials showing us how cool and trendy they are. First time I used an iPod I thought it was the coolest gadget I'd ever seen. it's taken me years to hate Apple.... but I'll be honest.. a lot of it is annoying Apple users, which is no fault of the company. I've read one too many 'anti-corporation' rants that have said 'sent from my iPad' at the bottom.

Rippleman Rippleman said:

I think apple must treat Canada different then the US since I have never seen an apple ad since back when they did the PC VS Apple thing with the young guy and the guy in the suit.

quote="MilwaukeeMike, post: 1272997, member: 275182"]Oh, I haven't jumped into that crowd either. Just pay attention to all the crap they do while feeding us non-stop commercials showing us how cool and trendy they are. First time I used an iPod I thought it was the coolest gadget I'd ever seen. it's taken me years to hate Apple.... but I'll be honest.. a lot of it is annoying Apple users, which is no fault of the company. I've read one too many 'anti-corporation' rants that have said 'sent from my iPad' at the bottom.

Chazz said:

I think apple must treat Canada different then the US since I have never seen an apple ad since back when they did the PC VS Apple thing with the young guy and the guy in the suit.

quote="MilwaukeeMike, post: 1272997, member: 275182"]Oh, I haven't jumped into that crowd either. Just pay attention to all the crap they do while feeding us non-stop commercials showing us how cool and trendy they are. First time I used an iPod I thought it was the coolest gadget I'd ever seen. it's taken me years to hate Apple.... but I'll be honest.. a lot of it is annoying Apple users, which is no fault of the company. I've read one too many 'anti-corporation' rants that have said 'sent from my iPad' at the bottom.

Dude, they run constant commercials in the US.

SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Finally. Why don't they put this into iPods? I'm still interested in the iPod classic only because it has 160GB storage.

I wouldn't buy an mp3 player with less than 100GB these days. My phone does the job of the portable one, and I need the storage if I'm hooking it up to my car audio system.

How many mp3s do you have that 100GB is not enough? My music directory is 161GB a large part of that size is flac. The iPods won't play flac (not that it would be discernible in 99% of listening conditions I'd use and iPod in, and likely no way to tell with the stock earbuds), flac could be converted to alac, but that is a dead format... Just wondering because 100+ gigs of mp3s is a lot of music.

Oh, I haven't jumped into that crowd either. Just pay attention to all the crap they do while feeding us non-stop commercials showing us how cool and trendy they are. First time I used an iPod I thought it was the coolest gadget I'd ever seen. it's taken me years to hate Apple.... but I'll be honest.. a lot of it is annoying Apple users, which is no fault of the company. I've read one too many 'anti-corporation' rants that have said 'sent from my iPad' at the bottom.

Nearly every news article that has anything to do with Apple gets several comments (sometimes pages) of people saying the same stuff over and over again and everyone applauds them and participates in the fun. Is this not the very thing you are saying has turned you to 'hate Apple' and their users?

There aren't many Apple users on this site, but I haven't seen any of this 'anti-corporation' stuff you speak of posted. I will concede that perhaps that has been done by a 'guest', which is often code for troll. I frequent Macrumors and their forums and I don't see it happening there either. Perhaps I'm not hanging out in the right circles?

captaincranky captaincranky, TechSpot Addict, said:

There aren't many Apple users on this site, but I haven't seen any of this 'anti-corporation' stuff you speak of posted. I will concede that perhaps that has been done by a 'guest', which is often code for troll. I frequent Macrumors and their forums and I don't see it happening there either. Perhaps I'm not hanging out in the right circles?
For me it was Apple's, "I'm a PC", ad campaign that instilled a deep rooted hatred of them for me. I really didn't need any prodding, from any itinerant troll on any website.

Exxon has surpassed Apple in corporate gross income this year. If you can't pull up to one of their gas pumps, hate that company, its execs, and every avaricious oil sheik behind the scenes openly, and on their own cumulative lack of merit, then this isn't the free country you've been deluded into thinking it is.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

How many mp3s do you have that 100GB is not enough? My music directory is 161GB a large part of that size is flac. The iPods won't play flac (not that it would be discernible in 99% of listening conditions I'd use and iPod in, and likely no way to tell with the stock earbuds), flac could be converted to alac, but that is a dead format... Just wondering because 100+ gigs of mp3s is a lot of music.

My current library is 85GB+, not counting podcasts. <1% of that is lossless format. I know lots of people happy with their 16GB iPhones, but considering that the iPod can charge in the car, I'd like 100GB+. I want to leave the thing in the car for months before syncing, and I want maximum potential for shuffling. I do not want to be loading up a new playlist every week.

I like to be surprised.

MilwaukeeMike said:

For me it was Apple's, "I'm a PC", ad campaign that instilled a deep rooted hatred of them for me. I really didn't need any prodding, from any itinerant troll on any website.

Those annoyed me too... and so do the iPhone commercials. That dumb commercial where the cool trendy guy is cold in New England so he gets in the car with his cute girlfriend and just drives out west with Siri to guide them. It's just so fake and utopian.

Plus, they rip off their customers... look at this story, 128GB for ANOTHER $100... or they could just do what everyone else does and put an SD Card slot in the iPad, which is what should have been standard on the iPad 2.

Load all comments...

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.