Weekend Open Forum: Your favorite game soundtracks

By on February 1, 2013, 6:48 PM

With the constant barrage of Humble Bundle-like deals, I've developed a bad habit of buying discounted indie games and only playing them for an hour or two -- if at all. Although I feel guilty when that happens with pricey AAA releases, my conscience is usually clear when it comes to indie packs. Sure, they're absurdly cheap and the money generally goes toward a good cause anyway, but the real reason is because many of them have spectacular soundtracks that are worth several times the asking price of only a buck or two per game.

Indie games have been a great way for me to discover new music, particularly instrumentals, which is what I prefer listening to while working. It's hard to name one soundtrack as my favorite, but I've really enjoyed the music from Capsized, Sol Survivor, VVVVVV, Super Meat Boy, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, The Binding of Isaac, FTL: Faster Than LightHotline Miami and many others, including big budget games such as the Splinter Cell, HitmanElder Scrolls and Mass Effect series. What are your favorite game soundtracks -- indie or otherwise?

1 person liked this | Demigod001 said:

Evil Genius http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFWK3IuwXnU

Elder Scrolls

and fallout 3 great gnr music even better with the extended mod

1 person liked this | Scrub206 said:

Ragnarok Online. Amazing + extremely nostalgic.

yRaz yRaz said:

Elder scrolls, specifically oblivion and the super meat boy sound track. It gets real when the rapture dark world music comes on.

killing floor has an awesome gaming sound track, but not good enough to listen to in my spare time.

EDIT: and how could I have forgotten Diablo 1 tristram music..

spydercanopus spydercanopus said:

Civilization 5 has beautiful ambient music.

Blkfx1 Blkfx1 said:

I love all of the Final Fantasy series soundtracks. I think I own them all too ._.

Frezzer said:

Just a few:

Baldur's Gate 1&2

Max Payne 2

Halo 1&2

Deus Ex HR

Black Mesa

And ... C&C Tiberian Sun

So many great soundtracks out there. :)

Coodu Coodu said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Deus Ex 1's soundtrack, my favourite for sure.

Also Black Mesa, Frozen Synapse, Samarost 2 and Faster than Light have epic indie soundtracks.

WildEast said:

Okami Soundtrack - Reset (Thank you)

Pretty amazing and beautiful.

1 person liked this | Benny26 Benny26, TechSpot Paladin, said:

Final Fantasy VIII.

It's just simply the best soundtrack I've ever heard for a game.

Timonius Timonius said:

There are several for me but I want to give a particular shout out to 'KIng's Bounty: The Legend'. The music was epic and perfect for every particular area you traveled in. It really felt like I was actually there.

TS-56336 TS-56336 said:

Film composer Brian Tyler (http://briantyler.com/Site/Home.html) has some plenty of awesome soundtrack in video games such as Need for Speed The Run, Modern Warfare 3, and Far Cry 3. So whatever he compose is going to be my favorite. I'm a fan of indie-rock.

psycros psycros said:

If most games lived up to their soundtracks I'd be a happy man - so many great ones, a lot of which were MIDI/MOD types (Ultima 3, Star Control II, Blood, XCOM, etc.) More recently I've liked Burnout II, Left 4 Dead and a few others. Anything by Jeremy Soule or Jesper Kyd is typically outstanding. TES: Oblivion might rate as my favorite..it just doesn't get old, which is kind of astounding. I also liked much of WoW's music.

soldier1969 soldier1969 said:

Rainbow 6: Rouge Spear about 12 years ago. Was playing on a Pent II 400 mhz with 512mb of ram, 16mb video card lol. Seems like forever ago. Was good music. I forget the composer.

nismo91 said:

Those final fantasy in original playstation console, gta vice city, nfs shift 2, gran turismo and metal gear series.

1 person liked this | SNGX1275 SNGX1275, TS Forces Special, said:

Zelda, although just about any collection of Zelda songs is good.

TomSEA TomSEA, TechSpot Chancellor, said:

Defense Grid: The Awakening has some great music in it. In fact, I have several cuts from that game on my workout mp3 player.

ikesmasher said:

Oblviion is my all time favorite and the donkey kong country games are pretty good. Portal 2 has some good things thrown in there as far as a remember. Halo1- 3 has some nice pieces, everything after that in halo is just meh and generic.

pieceofSchmitt pieceofSchmitt said:

New farcry3 soundtrack is very enjoyable.

Draconian said:

Mafia II. Driving around the city in a 1950s Corvette (called a "Frigate" in the game) while listening to old rock & roll songs by Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry. Great slice of post-World War II American life.

BMfan BMfan said:

For me it would be Uncharted 1 & 2 and NFS Most Wanted.

benken2202001 said:

For console its SSX: Tricky or FF7

For PC its Settlers 3 or Diablo

mailpup mailpup said:

The ethereal soundtrack from Homeworld.

Staff
Per Hansson Per Hansson, TS Server Guru, said:

Deus Ex 1 wins by far, I love the music in it.

At second place comes the music to Settlers II (Yea, released in 1996, I still play it sometimes in Dosbox)

I also really like the music in World of Warcraft, I don't play it any longer but I do have the music on my playlist and it brings a smile to my face when I play it

EEatGDL said:

Halo 1 and 2; Suicide Mission from ME2

Hankhendrix Hankhendrix said:

Red Alert 2: Hell March. Best ever.

Hankhendrix Hankhendrix said:

Red Alert 2: Hell March. Best ever.

Oh, and maybe the Boss music on The Witcher

BlueDrake said:

Tyrian 2000! Totally epic soundtrack for what it was.

UT2K4 really makes it worth my time, just to play so I can enjoy the music.

If it was opened to remixes, I'd have no real end for options. ^^

1 person liked this | treetops treetops said:

Zelda a link to the past, street fighter 2, mike tysons punchout when your jogging then you get your pass code

ETF Soldier ETF Soldier said:

Lets see; Dynasty Warriors(!), Black Mesa, Dawn of War, Half Life 2 and as much as Call of Duty annoys me - the zombie soundracks - One of the few women who's screams bring me pleasure .

Dynasty Warriors is up there with the greats, a truely underrated game in both fun and music soundtrack, ranging from Chinese Oriental to Hard Rock >=D

pmkrefeld said:

Forza Motorsport 2,

Tony Hawk pro skater 2

and finally and the alltime best:

Silent Hill 2

slh28 slh28, TechSpot Paladin, said:

GTA Vice City! Had all the classic 80's songs from all genres and made it a great game just driving around.

narzz said:

Been mentioned already, all the Deus Ex games, GTA: Vice City, some of the Unreal Tournament tracks plus I will always have a soft spot for the Tomb Raider theme (in all its incarnations) and TR:2 had a decent amount of cool ambient tracks. Oh yeah, I have a tonne of Tetris remixes as well :)

RmandsDC RmandsDC said:

Black Mesa FTW! Joel Nielsen has done a very good job! Yeah, but like Kotaku said, it is unnecessary in some places, plus in my opinion it is a little bit too short. Anyways, it is awesome, I have never heard such a good OST in games, although Indigo Prophecy had an awesome soundtrack too.

treeski treeski said:

EverQuest and Lost Eden

dgoodchild dgoodchild said:

One of the most memorable game soundtracks I've ever heard was Two Worlds. The game wasn't super but I could listen to that soundtrack for hours.

Belvadier said:

Ragnarok Online. Amazing + extremely nostalgic.

Wow, I can't believe someone actually said Ragnarok Online. One of my favorite games of all time. Dedicated thousandddds of hours to it. Was the music all that GREAT? Kinda sorta. It was very varied and it definitely brings back memories when I hear it.

/sob I wish I still played RO

2 people like this | Arnulf said:

Original Command&Conquer and Red Alert ... Mechanical Man, Hell March etc.

1 person liked this | Ranger1st Ranger1st said:

Original

Whipeout XL

Burnout paradise

GT 1

Homeworld

Borderlands I & II

Fallout series

Darth Shiv Darth Shiv said:

Yeap mine too... Du Clare Chateau and Hong Kong music in particular.

Morrowind, NWN, BG2 intro, Pool of Radiance (Amiga), X2 The Threat, Gothic 2. Probably a lot more.

Dawn1113 said:

+^ I thought the soundtrack on "Crysis 2" was great, too. One of the few games that I play with the music track enabled. Hans Zimmer is always good. His work on "Crysis 2" has to be among his best, at least in my book -- just made the game all that much better.

The versions of "Heroes Abroad" in both MOH Tier 1 and MOH: Warfighter would be right up there, as well.

That Eminem song, "Til I collapse", on the earlier MW2 trailers was absolutely killer. The song was nowhere in the game, though, so I guess it doesn't count.

Sphynx Sphynx said:

I found nothing captured a games essence more than this track from Shadow of the Colossus. It fits the tone and emotions of the game perfectly.

Revived Power ~Battle with the Colossus~

T77 T77 said:

Crysis warhead soundtrack is pretty good.Also loved the tracks from the original Mario games.

Khanonate said:

Red Alert 3 Hell March and Halo1

Gintaras said:

Probably the most favorite soundtrack of mine is from the game "WET" [link]

Also really good st: GTA series , Saints row series , Fallout3 , Max Payne series , UFC seriesc , Hitman series , NFS series (from Hot pursuit 2) , and last but not least "Kingpin: life of crime" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj7RRSoq_tA

Duckula22 Duckula22 said:

Duke Nukem's Theme.

...and Max Payne's Intro is a masterpiece.

1 person liked this | avoidz avoidz said:

Chrono Trigger (SNES).

Marnomancer Marnomancer said:

Fable: The Lost Chapters (the pieces by the London Philharmonic. Gave me the chills), Halo 1-3, Soldier Of Fortune II, Sudeki (the credits part), Final Fantasy, Diablo II, and Total Overdose.

Oh, and Max Payne too.

CryVer CryVer said:

Dungeon Siege, Halo, Age of Empires 3, Far Cry, Skyrim, Donkey Siege 64.