Skype launches video messaging, transition from Messenger detailed

By on February 15, 2013, 1:00 PM

Skype has begun rolling out a new beta feature on its iOS, Android, and Mac clients that allows users to send recorded video messages to others, regardless if they are online or not. Videos can be up to three minutes long and will show up in the chat area of Skype, and though Windows and Windows Phone users were left out of this testing phase, they’ll still receive video messages with a link to watch them on a browser.

The addition of video messaging brings Skype up to speed with smaller rivals like Tango which have been offering the same for a while. The feature allows for asynchronous video calling, as even if someone isn’t available for a video chat, you can still leave a video message. For now it’s limited to US and UK Skype users, with a wider rollout expected soon, and you only get 20 free video messages before having to pay up -- presumably to justify cloud storage costs. Skype hasn’t detailed how much the new feature will cost.

In related news, Microsoft today shared more details on its timeline for migrating users from Messenger to Skype. The company says they plan to discontinue Messenger for a "test group" comprising about one percent of the installed base on March 15. Starting April 8, Microsoft will begin phasing out Messenger for the remaining users, starting with those in English-speaking countries. The entire process should be completed by April 30.

Those using Messenger through a third party instant messaging client like Trillian or Pidgin can continue doing so for a while longer. Third party APIs will eventually be shut down and each company using them has its own timetable for the shut down. Microsoft says it’s up to them to announce the cut off date to their users.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

If they are able to the software work smoothly I can see myself using this.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

" Third party APIs will eventually be shut down and each company using them has its own timetable for the shut down."

I thought I had found a way to escape it, and now they're taking away the last option

T_T

"If they are able to the software work smoothly I can see myself using this." My brain hurts just trying to comprehend what Littleczr said.

1 person liked this | treeski treeski said:

T_T

You can use Skype through 3rd party routes, so your experience really won't change.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Oh ok lol. all is well then xD

I think skype is a pretty decent program though

Eh, but it kinds defeated the purpose of using 3rd party mainly for msn support though, since one of the main reasons was to avoid having to switch to skype. Guess it wont really matter in the end though. Would problably recommend just creating a new account and getting people to add through there. I know quite a few people that couldn't seem to get their msn contacts on their existing skype accounts...

Jim$ter said:

I just upgraded my MSN Messenger..Thought I would hate it...but I guess it's ok...I got it set on compact view and its working

wujj123456 said:

They've already messed up. I've lost all my MSN contacts, and now are forced to have two same contacts in Skype. (One Skype contact, one non-functioning messenger contact.)

I'd love to use GTalk and Hangout as much as possible, only if it's not blocked in China.

NTAPRO NTAPRO said:

Have you tried unlinking your msn account?