HTC aims for a comeback with HTC One flagship smartphone

By on February 19, 2013, 12:30 PM

Following a string of leaks over the last few days, HTC has officially announced its newest flagship Android smartphone at a press event in New York this morning. The HTC One represents the firm’s latest attempt to regain lost ground in the smartphone market after a rough 2012 in the shadow of Samsung's Galaxy devices and Apple’s iPhone. Unlike it has done before, HTC will be attacking the market with just a single model and name, unifying its brand rather than releasing several different phones across different markets and carriers.

The phone is made entirely of aluminum and boasts a large 4.7-inch full HD 1080p display with 468 PPI flanked by two speaker strips with integrated amplifiers. Inside is a 1.7-GHz, quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor alongside 2GB of RAM and either 32GB or 64GB of internal storage. In terms of connectivity and ports you’ll find NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi, DLNA, infrared, and a microUSB port with MHL functionality.

For the back side camera HTC has made a bold move and ignored the megapixel race in favor of an improved 4MP sensor that’s supposedly capable of letting in 300% more light than traditional camera phones, for better low-light and action photography. The company is pitching this technology as “UltraPixel” and combined with an f/2 lens and optical image stabilization the HTC One is supposed to produce some outstanding quality stills.

The front side camera uses a 2.1MP sensor with 88-degree wide-angle lens capable of 1080p video.

On the software side HTC is complementing its imaging focus with a new feature called Zoe that takes a 3.6 second video clip and a burst of 20 full resolution photo with a single press. The video and images can be “mashed” together with background music to create short videos that can be shared with others.

The HTC One runs Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 out of the box with a new version of Sense layered on top. The most noticeable change here is the new BlinkFeed home screen that offers a "live stream" of content, which will be pulled from social networks and 1,400 media partners like AOL, ESPN, and MTV. The idea, according to HTC, is to aggregate the "freshest content from the most relevant and interesting sources, giving it to people at a glance, all in one place, without the need to jump between multiple applications and websites."

You’ll still be able to use a more traditional Widget filled home screen if you like, however.

Other notable features include dual microphones to improve call clarity, Dropbox integration with 25GB of free storage for two years, and a universal remote TV app that combines a sleek-looking program guide with the ability to control your TV, set-top box, and receiver through the IR blaster embedded within the phone's power button. The Sense TV app supports all major US cable services along with Hulu.

The new HTC One will be available globally from 185 carriers in more than 80 regions and countries starting in March, including AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile in the U.S. Pricing was not released.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So this the bastard child of Android and Windows Phone 8?

No thanks.

JC713 JC713 said:

I dont really get the "ultrapixel" camera tech...

Tygerstrike said:

HTC has always put out good phones. As I sell cellphones for a living, I see HTC phones a lot. The EVO and EVO 4g were some fantastic phones. I would dare say that the EVO line itself was a game changer in the cellphone world. So knowing how well HTC phones do, Im willing to give this phone a chance before I poo poo it. It looks interesting. Im kinda interested in the merger of Android and Windows. The convenece of active tiles on a Android OS sounds interesting. Oh and the useing your phone to change your TV...brilliant!! You can never find the remote!! And you always have your phone handy. Looks like HTC is trying continue to make our phones into a cover all device that helps us with more then just phone calls and texts.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

I am very interested, but will it come out for sprint is what I wan tot know.

JC713 JC713 said:

I am very interested, but will it come out for sprint is what I wan tot know.

Maybe after the release, but this rarely occurs.

Littleczr Littleczr said:

I have been watching videos on youtube after reading this article and I had to clean the drool of my floor. It will come out for sprint around march.. shut up and take my money.

Railman said:

I have a HTC phone with a 8mp camera. Surely the point of having extra MPs is to allow for electronic zoom. Granted having a decent lens is an advantage but I doubt it is technically possible to have a super lens in such a small device. Why not have a good quality lens married to a high pixel sensor? My old camera is 4MP but it does have a pretty good 10 x zoom lens but I would not consider less than 8MP for my next camera.

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

Impressive enough and one important item was missed out: it come with the Gorilla Glass 2 (468 ppi)!

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If only this were a Nexus. I just can't deal with Sense. I hate it.

1 person liked this | MilwaukeeMike said:

I bet... my HTC EVO 4G spent about 5 minutes at the bottom of a swimming pool back in 2011 and it's still working fine. It was dead for about a month and then came back to life.

Every review I read comparing the HTC ONE X to the SG3 said the screen on the HTC phone just looked better. Specs aside, the HTC was reported to have a nicer screen, so I'm looking forward to checking this out. If this thing can deliver on the camera it'll be my next phone.

If only this were a Nexus. I just can't deal with Sense. I hate it.

That's the fun part about Android... you can load a custom ROM. HTC even puts the directions and tools to unlock your bootloader right on their webpage.

m4a4 m4a4 said:

"IR blaster"

Ah, that's a feature that should be in more smartphones.

Loved playing around with such things when the Palm Pilot had them...

veLa veLa said:

The phone looks great but I'll wait for the S4 to make a final decision if I make a decision to spend money at all.

St1ckM4n St1ckM4n said:

That thing looks amazing. It even packs dedicated navigation buttons! I want one. Too bad it'll be $600+.. those prices really need to come down.

ArthurZ ArthurZ said:

If you are in the USA, you can trade in your old smartphone and get a $100 credit.

ikesmasher said:

Seriously its a smart approach for a camera. Megapixels mean nothing if the quality is bad anyway. 4 MP is plenty for people taking pictures with their phone.

If only the consumers would buy in.

It's suppose to be the year of the 1080p 5inch+ phone, 4.7 is too small. :p

Littleczr Littleczr said:

If only the consumers would buy in.

Can you explain? I have been wondering this since wall papers look better on my 1440p monitor, but yet my 8MP phone has higher resolution but the pictures don't look better.

Specs and all look great, but as usual HTC releases the phone with older version of Android, 4.1.2 not the newest 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. Which they will upgrade the OS to in 7 months or when the next generation of the OS is released. So after 7 months you get the old OS and the end of real support for your phone. That is why I will never buy an HTC phone as they have no intention of supporting their products. One OS upgrade to near absolute OS is not support

exozito said:

I hope it comes with a decent battery.

waterproof said:

If only this were a Nexus. I just can't deal with Sense. I hate it.

You can always install a custom rom and remove sense based android

Archean Archean, TechSpot Paladin, said:

So just like Google copied WP's tiles in their playtsore app, HTC too decided to copy the same idea from its partner MS? Overall, seems to be a nice package though.

Tygerstrike said:

@little

Megapixels will only help with when you blow or enlarge a picture. It doesnt help with zoom.

lawfer, TechSpot Paladin, said:

If only this were a Nexus. I just can't deal with Sense. I hate it.

You can always install a custom rom and remove sense based android

It's not so much that I miss stock Android (I use it everyday). It's that I'd rather this device be a Nexus, for what it represents.

1 person liked this | ikesmasher said:

8 megapixels is an uneccessarily huge resolution. 4 Mega pixels is capable of 1080p shots. Resolution isnt the single most important detail of a camera. Its the ability to capture light among other things. Something that phone cameras are bad at. Taking a 4 MP photo with a phone wont look nearly as good as a 4MP shot with a dedicated digital camera.

Viewing an 8MP photo shot zoomed to fit on an entire 1440p monitor is scaled down a rediculous amount.

Basically, assuming the resolution is at lest 4 MP, the average user needs to worry more about exposure and stuff instead of megapixels. You will never use the whole size.

Just as point on old OS for phone, Samsung are releasing an upgrade of OS on Galaxy S3 to 4.2.1, while HTC proposes or releases a new phone with a OS that is a generation behind. Instead of just releasing new phones, support existing products. It is easier to maintain support brand loyalty, than push sales, and can only be done when people have the sense that a company actual values their clients by supporting their existing products.